• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

What to see in VA in only 2-3 days??

Sterling

TUG Member
Reaction score
:) I'll have the opportunity to drive from DC into VA for 2-3 days in early April and would love some suggestions as to where to go and what to see; beautiful drives, antique stores, local restaurants, etc. Thanks so much.

J

JoeMid

Mt Vernon if you didn't see it when in DC.
Monticello, Thomas Jefferson was amazing.

Big Matt

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
A trip the other way could be fun too. Both Baltimore's Inner Harbor and Annapolis are good trips within an hour.

elaine

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Eagles Nest, DVC-AKV, HHI
williamsburg is within reach, as well. Also civil war battlefields

It really depends on your interests--some wuld stay in Fredericksburg area for 1 day and manassas the other and tour battlefields, other would drive Skyline pkwy (lovely), other would go to CHarlottesville to Monticello. Some would stay in DC metro area and do day tours to Mt. Vernon, etc.

For history--I recommend williamsburg or monticello---both about 2-3 hours away. For nature, Skyline (also don't forget the famous Lurray Carverns--if you are into that sort of thing). For shorter trips, Mt. Vernon and walking aournd Old town Alexandria.

Personally, I think the best mix would be this alernative---day trip to MT. Vernon and then old town alex in later afternoon to walk around and eat dinner there. Next day, drive out Rt 50 to Annapolis (historic buildings, cute town, NAval School) for the day (make sure it is a nice day-not fun in the rain), do a self-guided walking tour and have a great seafood dinner---Annapolis is a lovely, quaint town only 1 hr from DC and those would be 2 GREAT days without a ton of driving.

chris5

TUG Member
Reaction score
I guess I'm kind of partial to Annapolis and Charlottesville since my children have attended schools in these cities. Annapolis is a wonderful, small city, with a lot of early American history, a great city-dock area, small shops and some good places to eat, and then there's the Naval Academy, which really is a great place to visit, especially if you visit when there's a parade march of the Brigade of Midshipmen. (If you saw the movie Annapolis, you wouldn't see the beautiful Naval Academy campus or Yard since the film wasn't filmed at the Academy.) The Naval Academy Chapel is truly a majestic and unusual place of worship and the new Uriah Levy Chapel, I'm told, is amazing. In fact, Commodore Levy, connected to Annapolis and Charlottesville, was an amazing historical figure too! C'ville has Mr. Jefferson's school, the University of Virginia, another great campus or "grounds," some very good places to eat nearby, and nearby Monticello. If you drive from the DC area to Charlottesville, there are various ways to get there; when traffic is light on I-95 South, generally between 10am-2pm, you can drive down to F'burg to its quaint old town, have lunch at Sammy T's or Merryman's, then head on Route 3 West (stopping briefly at the Chancellorville's Batttlefield site to observe the grounds where some truly incredible military tactics were carried out by Generals Lee and Jackson), and take Route 20 South thru some nice Virginia countryside to C'ville and Monticello. BTW, you can take the Skyline Drive out of C'ville.

Last edited:

PBlais

TUG Member
Reaction score
Virginia is not a small place so with just a few days you have to miss something. From DC, Williamsburg is a long 3 hours and I would just avoid US 95 just because you can. Take the back roads and enjoy the country side. This is the time of year to do it. Charlottesville is a great spot with many things to see and just a pretty area. The heart if VA wine country as well as the edge of the Blue Ridge.

Annapolis is in Maryland but its still a fun place too. Drive downtown and park the car for the day and just walk. From there take Hwy 301 and come across the Potomac then along the Rappahanock on Hwy 17 to Yorktown. from there you have Jamestown and Wiliamsburg. It's a pretty drive. Then 2 1/2 hours on US 64 to Charlottesville with maybe a side trip to Richmond.

Early / Mid April affords some great Spring color and I do think VA has the lock on good spring color. In southern VA we have leaves on the trees by mid April and the weather is about as comfortable as it gets. The swimming is poor but it is low humidity.

I can't say I'm a huge battlefield person, but this is the time of year to do them. Outdoor activities would be the things to look for.