• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

What to do with suddenly uneeded Studio?

gregb

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORN
We have reserved two weeks of two bedroom at WKORN, starting tomorrow Jan. 24. We are full for the first week, but the couple that were going use the studio for the second week (Jan 31-Feb 7) have had a medical emergency and can no longer come.

Any good ideas on what we could do with the second week of studio on short notice?

Greg

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
You can cancel it and get the Staroptions back. The SO's will be good until the end of the year for reservations 60 days before check-in.

Oops - reservations is closed now. I'd call first thing in the morning and ask for a one time exception. Starwood can and will make special exceptions in a case like this. (Be sure you emphasize the medical emergency.)

I'd ask for the Staroptions back - with no restrictions. Or, your deeded studio back - with no restrictions.

You will have to escalate it up the food chain to Owner Resolution Services. The worst thing they can say is no.

Last edited:

SMHarman

TUG Member
Reaction score
What Denise said. They have done that for me one time.

gregb

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORN
Thanks for the ideas. I will see what I can do after we get to Maui tomorrow.

Greg

beachlynn

TUG Member
Reaction score
I posted a few weeks ago about needing to cancel our studio at KNORVN starting on 2/19 because of my son's sudden need for heart surgery. I got several replies telling me to call Starwood and just tell them the facts. I just spoke to the Rep and at first she said she would cancel no problem but I would have to use the star options within something like 60 days. But then with very little push back and not having to speak to a supervisor she said she would make an exception. I asked if she wanted any documentation and she said no. I was pleasantly surprised. I'm terribly sad about not going as I could really use a week sitting at the beach and looking at the whales. One good note, my son is doing well and I am planning a trip to Italy:)

silentg

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
Good news about your son! Enjoy your vacation!

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Thanks for the ideas. I will see what I can do after we get to Maui tomorrow.

Greg

Hi Greg - I don't think the resort can help you - I'd be on the phone with Owner Services when reservations opens tomorrow at 9:00 pm Eastern, or as close to it as possible.

gregb

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORN
Thanks everyone for your input.

When we got to the resort, as I was talking to the concierge, I mentioned my problem. He got me an appointment with Owner Services and also sent them an Email. I got a call from the local owner services rep., explained my problem and he took care of cancelling my studio and returning the 67k points. No restriction on how I can use them, according to him. He even reminded me that I had up to the end of June to bank them for next year.

I am very pleased with this outcome. Having owner services representatives on property is a boon for us.

Thank you Starwood. :D

Greg

WI GAL

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKOR South, Maui
Hanalei Bay, Kauai
Aruba Surf Club
In a similar situation and wondering if any of you were charged the $75 cancellation fee? Thanks.

Fredward

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin- Lagunamar, Kierland Villas, Marriott- Barony Beach, Aruba Surf Club
In a similar situation and wondering if any of you were charged the $75 cancellation fee? Thanks.
We were in the same situation last year- Westin Princeville- 2 days before check in our friend's mother died. We got the points back with no restriction but had to pay the $75. I was ok with it though- was just so grateful to get the SO's back.