• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

what to do with someone renting out Interval week?

pchung6

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORVN-OF, SVVx3, SBP, MKO-OV, MWR
I've been seeing a specific person keeps posting really nice weeks, such as Xmas Westin Princeville Hawaii or Ski season week. This person has been doing this for a while more than a year. I have this person's facebook, email and name. I'm just getting sick and tired of seeing rental posts from this person over and over again.

first of all, this time is the week i tried to trade and unable to obtain. second, it really bothers me seeing someone making money for the Interval week while I cannot go.

Anyway to report this person or to stop this?

pchung6

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORVN-OF, SVVx3, SBP, MKO-OV, MWR
Because she has the week I need, so I asked her on her Facebook. I then figured out it is Interval week, since she refused to say it's ownership week. She reflected my question saying it's one time reservation bs. She has been posting many weeks on Facebook vacation rental group for a while, seeing many questioning the same, just feel it's about the time to report this person.

LisaRex

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Used to own: WKORV-N; SVV - Bella
First of all, you don't know for certain what she owns. Refusing to answer someone's pointed and possibly prickly question is hardly "proof" that she's renting Interval weeks. Secondly, VSE non-owners would be hard pressed to get a Christmas week in Hawaii or a platinum ski week using SOs, let alone Interval. I tried to use SOs to book a ski week in late Feb/early March using SOs a few years ago and was unable to. First exchange where I got a goose egg. I highly doubt any of these weeks would EVER be deposited in Interval.

FYI, for many VSE resorts, Xmas/New Year's weeks are considered "event weeks" that SO exchangers aren't able to exchange into them, even if an owner happened to exchange their event week for a non-event week. So the fact that you're not able to get in to an event week as an exchanger is evidence of nothing nefarious. In fact, it's more likely that she is, in fact, an owner.

Like it or not, VSE availability is tightening up quite a bit. And that is frustrating. But unless I had 100% proof that someone was obviously breaking the rules, I'd resist the temptation to "turn them in." Do unto others and all that.

Egret1986

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
First of all, you don't know for certain what she owns. Refusing to answer someone's pointed and possibly prickly question is hardly "proof" that she's renting Interval weeks. Secondly, VSE non-owners would be hard pressed to get a Christmas week in Hawaii or a platinum ski week using SOs, let alone Interval. I tried to use SOs to book a ski week in late Feb/early March using SOs a few years ago and was unable to. First exchange where I got a goose egg. I highly doubt any of these weeks would EVER be deposited in Interval.

FYI, for many VSE resorts, Xmas/New Year's weeks are considered "event weeks" that SO exchangers aren't able to exchange into them, even if an owner happened to exchange their event week for a non-event week. So the fact that you're not able to get in to an event week as an exchanger is evidence of nothing nefarious. In fact, it's more likely that she is, in fact, an owner.

Like it or not, VSE availability is tightening up quite a bit. And that is frustrating. But unless I had 100% proof that someone was obviously breaking the rules, I'd resist the temptation to "turn them in." Do unto others and all that.

I recently saw a lot of prime weeks listed on eBay at a resort that I am very familiar with and it's impossible availability during this time frame. I believed they were most likely exchanges. I contacted the person listing the weeks. I am now of the belief that these are owner weeks. As stated, if these valuable weeks were indeed exchanges, then this person was extremely lucky to have snagged that many fantastic exchanges.

To the OP, for sake of argument; how do you know that if the person hadn't snagged the so-called exchange, that you would have been the next lucky one to have gotten it? Yes, it is frustrating when you believe that someone is doing something that is taking away from others. However, be absolutely sure you know for sure. If this person is indeed renting all these valuable weeks and they are exchanges, then II will eventually put an end to it. A pattern will have been formed. Interval could rent those deposits out possibly to their benefit. I don't think Interval would want potential rentals (to put money in their own pocket) to go to someone that is breaking their established rules.

I would recommend that you either rent from the lady or move on. A few years ago I called someone out on TUG (new guest) that was listing units that I was seeing last minute in RCI. I questioned the person and these were clearly exchanges. Not ownership; guest certificate required. Apparently I handled it badly by posting and not private messaging the moderators. I was informed that there are volume renters that get inventory from RCI to rent out. I had never heard of such a thing previously on TUG. I was called out by the new guest and at least a couple of other Tuggers and was admonished for my posting. The mantra has always been that if a guest certificate is required from one of the two major exchange companies that they are indeed exchanges.

Apparently, that is not always the case. The woman may be evasive, as previously stated, for other reasons. Are you going to rent her week and are you serious about the transaction? She doesn't have to provide you with every last detail about her rental at this point. I rent my weeks and I probably give out more information than I should to "potential" renters, who are actually just tire-kicking and have no intentions of renting.

IMHO, think before reacting. All may not be as it seems. If you need the week, rent it. If it's that prime, it's not coming up as an exchange.

Sugarcubesea

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
QH, HBC, VBHC, & Pinestead Reef
Because she has the week I need, so I asked her on her Facebook. I then figured out it is Interval week, since she refused to say it's ownership week. She reflected my question saying it's one time reservation bs. She has been posting many weeks on Facebook vacation rental group for a while, seeing many questioning the same, just feel it's about the time to report this person.
I would love to join a facebook vacation rental group, can anyone join, if so would you provide the link. I'm trying to plan a family reunion next year and would love to find a way to do this cost effectively...thanks

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Up to you if you want to report it to II. It would be rather easy to do, if they want to look in to it they can. If not, no worries. If they aren't renting exchanges, II won't do anything. If they are, there is a chance they won't do anything either. However, if no one reports these instances, people continue to do it and get away with it. II does have methods to find owners that are renting exchanges. The decision is really yours to make, not ours.