• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

What to do in Maui?

M&M

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
We'll be in Maui for business and we're trying to plan out our free time. We'll have 2 free days and 4 days where we'll be free after 1:30 pm.
If you've never been to Maui and had the above listed amount of time free, what would you be sure to see/do?

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
For lots of great info from other posts use the search function (search this forum button) searching for "Maui" and you will find lots of good stuff.

falmouth3

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I'll give the advice I always give - buy (or borrow from the library) "Maui Revealed". You will find tons of things to do.

One of the favorite things we did is to body surf at Napili Beach. The best body surfing we ever did.

LisaRex

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Used to own: WKORV-N; SVV - Bella
Things that I've done that I'd recommend:

Snorkeling at Honolua Bay
All day Lanai trip via Trilogy
Old Lahaina Luau (esp for large groups)
Warren & Annabelle's
Kayak/snorkel combination off of Makena Beach
Morning bike ride down Haleakala (alas, can't do this anymore)
Sunset catamaran or sailboat trip
Whale watching trips
West Maui Hike
Body surfing at Hamoa Beach (past Hana)
West Maui Mountain drive, including Nahelele Blowhole
Hit Hookipa in the early afternoon to watch the windsurfers

That's that I'd still like to do
Sunset at Haleakala followed by Maui Star Gazers (had this on the agenda but it was canceled due to high wind)
Ziplining!
Day trip to Molokai
ATV tour on Haleakala Ranch
Overnight stay in Hana at the Hotel Hana
Horseback riding
Renew wedding vows at Huelo Point Flower Farm
Scuba dive
Zodiak ride during whale season
Maui Ocean Center
Feast at Lele

CATBinCO

TUG Member
Reaction score
We went to Maui in July 2006, so I hope this info is still current.

There was a place in the rainforesty area of Maui that we did a rainforest/nature hike with a tour guide. I believe it was called the Hawaii Nature Center in the Iao Valley. We were staying in Maalaea (central Maui) and it was a very short drive, maybe 15 mins. away. And of course, it rained on us during the hike. But it was such a welcome change from the hotness we had been experiencing. I think we had a 2-for-1 coupon which is why we did it.

We also enjoyed a kayak/snorkel tour near Oprah's house - with Maui Eco Tours. Lunch was provided. I think we had a 20% off coupon for this. My daughter, who was 8 at the time, did it with us and had a great time! We saw lots of sea turtles.

Maui Ocean Center was also fun. I have to say that the gift shop at Maui Ocean Center was probably the best gift shop I have ever been in Maui. There is an excellent 5 star restaurant near the Maui Ocean Center called The Waterfront. We stayed in a flight attendant's rental home next door to this restaurant.

Carol C

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Maui is not my favorite island of the chain...I found it rather dry and brown looking and over-built & trafficky where our timeshare was. Getting out of "town" though was a treat but a long day. We went to Hana one day and Haleakala another day...both I highly recommend. We also drove our rental car around the northern part of the island...fascinating but not for the faint of heart. As for nightlife, I heartily recommend the stage show "Uleana" (spelling?)

Aloha! :hi:

lark

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you're into snorkeling, I'd second Honolua Bay. The problem is that you'll need to rent stuff from somewhere else, because there are no gear rental places on sitr. Given your time constraints, stopping at a Maui Dive shop or something to pick up stuff might not be that efficient. A good second choice would be a K'anapali beach day. You can valet park for the day at the Sheraton and hang out near black rock. You can rent stuff for snorkeling right along the beach, and black rock has excellent snorkeling. You can walk to the outdoor mall -- Whaler's Village -- and get lunch, or eat at one of the hotels. (If on a budget, the deli/take out place at the Marriott is great.) You can stop at any of the activity places along K'anapali and sign up for a dinner cruise or parasailing or any of that stuff. If I had just one day in Maui, that would likely be my choice -- a K'annapali beach day. (Unless I was staying on K'anapali, perhaps.)

For the after 1:30 days, I'd probably do an evening in Lahaina. Warren and Annabelle's is a great choice, or just a nice dinner somewhere. Another good option for the after 1:30 days would be the Io Valley park. Nobody ever talks about it, but I found it to be tremendously underrated.