• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

"What to Buy" Questions for New Timeshare Owners

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Here are some questions you can answer to focus your timeshare wants/needs.

Suggestion - copy the questions below, and start a new thread entitled "My Survey" or "What should I buy?," or something similar, and answer the questions in a NEW thread.

1) Is there a vacation destination you wish to visit most of the time or on a regular basis? if so where?

2) Do you want to visit your home resort at least half the time, or do you want to trade more than half the time?

3) What are your 5 top trade destinations?

4) How many people do you usually travel with - total, including yourself?

5) Can you travel any time, or are you locked into the school schedule?

6) Can you make firm plans 12 or more mos. in advance?

7) Can you vacation for a full week at a time?

8) What level of accommodations do you prefer on a scale of 1 to 5 stars?

9) How much can you afford to spend upfront, without financing?

10) How much can you afford to spend every year for a maintenance fee that will come due right after Christmas, and increase each year?

11) Are you a detail oriented planner?

12) Do you understand that once you buy a timeshare, it may be very difficult to sell or give away, and you are responsible for all fees, until you do?

Last edited:

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
quoting the text above and answering the questions will let us move your conversation to its own post below so more folks can assist you with your Timeshare purchase!

simply click HERE to start your new thread!

Last edited:

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
Sorry about that, apparently I missed a few of these to move into their own threads for help!

890zbh

TUG Member
Reaction score
Do I need a paid membership on Tugbbs?

Should I, or do I need to become a full paid member of tugbbs to receive replies to resale timeshares I am interested in purchasing posted on here?

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Should I, or do I need to become a full paid member of tugbbs to receive replies to resale timeshares I am interested in purchasing posted on here?

No - you don't have to be a member, but it's only $15, and it gives you access to the member's only areas, which are very helpful.

And it won't hurt your TUG "Street Cred" ;)

MORE INFO: http://www.tug2.net/tug-pr.html

890zbh

TUG Member
Reaction score
Ok, thanks, I'm gonna hoin. Lots of good info here I wish I had seen before. Tks

cayman01

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Bali Hai, Shearwater
Better off renting?

Here are some questions you can answer to focus your timeshare wants/needs.

If you click on QUOTE at the end of my post, the questions will open up in a new window for you to answer:

1) Where do you want your home resort to be? No preference, something with top trade value, low MF's.

2) Do you want to visit your home resort at least half the time, or do you want to trade more than half the time? trade most of the time

3) What are your 5 top trade destinations? SW USA, Caribbean, TN/NC, Hawaii, Wisconsin Dells

4) How many people do you usually travel with? 3-5

5) Can you travel any time, or are you locked into the school schedule? school

6) Can you make firm plans 12 or more mos. in advance? Never have

7) Can you vacation for a full week at a time? yes

8) What level of accommodations do you prefer on a scale of 1 to 5 stars? 3 and up

9) How much can you afford to spend upfront, without financing? $2k

10) How much can you afford to spend every year for a maintenance fee that will come due right after Christmas, and increase each year? $1k

11) Are you a detail oriented planner? yes

12) Do you understand that once you buy a timeshare, it may be very difficult to sell or give away, and you are responsible for all fees, until you do? yes

Beginning to wonder if we are better off renting from owners. Seems like there are plenty of deals to be had, especially within 60 days.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
For many people it is better, especially if you aren't a detail oriented planner.

If you are flexible, there are wonderful last minute deals available - have you looked at our Last Minute Rental Forum?

cayman01

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Bali Hai, Shearwater
renting

For many people it is better, especially if you aren't a detail oriented planner.

If you are flexible, there are wonderful last minute deals available - have you looked at our Last Minute Rental Forum?

Yes I have and that is where I started getting the idea. Will keep doing the research though.

Solski

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have searched this forum for information but truthfully remain confused. What is the best timeshare system?? I kinda looked at getting a timeshare as investing in my vacation futures and give me incentive to go on them. I thought is would also help financially but right now I m not so sure people keep saying you can rent just as much or cheaper on your own

[Here are Solski's survey responses: http://www.tugbbs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=239442]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:

csxjohn

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Tropic Shores Resort, Bluegreen points
I have searched this forum for information but truthfully remain confused. What is the best timeshare system?? I kinda looked at getting a timeshare as investing in my vacation futures and give me incentive to go on them. I thought is would also help financially but right now I m not so sure people keep saying you can rent just as much or cheaper on your own

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you start a new thread and answer the questions Denise has posed, many here will give you some ideas. There is no "best" for everybody so knowing a little about your expectations will help us help you.

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
If you start a new thread and answer the questions Denise has posed, many here will give you some ideas. There is no "best" for everybody so knowing a little about your expectations will help us help you.
They did

sent from my cell phone...

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
Yes, annually

csxjohn

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Tropic Shores Resort, Bluegreen points
Is the $15 membership paid annually?

Yes, annually

There are ways to get free extensions. The most popular is to rate resorts when you visit to get extensions.

Another is to refer other people to become paid members.

I joined a few years ago and have not had to pay a renewal.

Jaxx

Reaction score
Great price on resales

Beginning to wonder if we are better off renting from owners. Seems like there are plenty of deals to be had, especially within 60 days.

[Advertising deleted]

Dave Landry

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Panama City Beach
Better off renting?

We have rented from owners for over 10 years now. If you travel within 60 days it is usually less expensive unless as long as there is availability and the renter gets the platinum discount. However we have found that often last minute bookings end up being a few reservations pieced together. We are taking the plunge and purchasing resale now as our mortgage is paid and we can commit to the yearly maintenance fees.

LZango

Reaction score
My husband and I have been timeshare owners at Vidanta for 15 years. Originally, it was called the Mayan Palace, then Grand Mayan, then they added the Grand Bliss and Grand Luxxe and needed to re-brand everything under one moniker: Vidanta.

The properties are AMAZING, but owning there is way too expensive and their practices are downright unethical. Every year, they try to upgrade us. We were manipulated into upgrades three times, cancelled twice and now in an epic battle over the most recent upgrade. They are ruthless and relentless.

If you want to visit a Vidanta property (which I would highly recommend because they are fabulous) rent a week from E-Bay or another timeshare rental group. Whatever you do, DON'T go for a presentation even if they offer a free breakfast, room credit, tours, golf, whatever. I promise you, it's not worth the stress and the time. Enjoy your vacation and avoid sale at all costs.

Ant

Reaction score
There are ways to get free extensions. The most popular is to rate resorts when you visit to get extensions.

Another is to refer other people to become paid members.

I joined a few years ago and have not had to pay a renewal.

I will definitely become a paid member of TUG for $15 because they just saved me from buying $15k TS.

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
I will definitely become a paid member of TUG for $15 because they just saved me from buying $15k TS.
Yes yes yes, again welcome to Tug, glad you are sticking around.

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k

Trust me, it's a 'Pay it forward' kind of thing!

Reaction score
We are new to actually vacationing, for years our vacations have been a camping trip to the lake or nothing due to time and/or money constraints. However, we have started going to the Florida panhandle (Navarre is our favorite) for a week every summer. And we no longer have a camper—it was totaled after a storm

We did take part in a Bluegreen presentation in Branson 2 years ago. I liked the concept but the investment was more than we wanted to make. (Thank goodness for my husband’s cool head!) I purchased the sampler program to see if Timeshare would be a good fit for us. Huge mistake! The opportunities were so limited since summers were blocked out except in just a couple of resorts. We do still have kids at home, who play every sport so summer, for now, is our only travel time as a family. And even that has to be worked around summer ball. But they are 14 & 16, we won’t be doing this for much longer and I want to be sure we make time for vacations. So now I’m looking on the resale market but still am not sure it’s a good option for us. I will complete the survey questions and look forward to hearing advise from you veterans!

1.)Is there a vacation destination you wish to visit most of the time or on a regular basis? if so where?
—I would like Gulf area, but the closer area to me would be Branson, it can be a long weekend trip. Have been a little disappointed this winter that I didn’t have a few days I “had” to get booked so hubby and I could have a quick getaway like we did with the sampler.

2) Do you want to visit your home resort at least half the time, or do you want to trade more than half the time?
—Probably half and half. Hubby doesn’t care for the beach (oh the horrors!) so would need to find areas he enjoys. Branson at least has Table Rock nearby where he could fish. I don’t want to be out airfare for all of us for every trip so something drivable from Arkansas would be preferred most often.

3) What are your 5 top trade destinations?
— I don’t know.

4) How many people do you usually travel with? —4-8

5) Can you travel any time, or are you locked into the school schedule?
—Locked into school for about 4 years. Our Work schedules are easily adjusted.

6) Can you make firm plans 12 or more mos. in advance?
—It would be hard but I think it would be a benefit to start doing so. We have to schedule beach trip 6 months in advance and have learned it can be done and we just work everything else around it. I think I could adjust to 12-13 months.

7) Can you vacation for a full week at a time?— Yes

8) What level of accommodations do you prefer on a scale of 1 to 5 stars?
—I don’t really know. I can compare to hotels— I’m a Marriott, Hilton, Hampton Inn fan. Not opposed to a Holliday Inn if it’s clean. So decent but not the Ritz Carlton.

9) How much can you afford to spend upfront, without financing?
—What can I afford or what I’m willing? Considering how the Sampler bombed, I wont the be able to talk hubby into spending much until we see it can benefit us. So I’d say around a thousand to start

10) How much can you afford to spend every year for a maintenance fee that will come due right after Christmas, and increase each year?
— I’m looking a timeshares with fees in the 50-70 per month range.

11) Are you a detail oriented planner? —Nope

12) Do you understand that once you buy a timeshare, it may be very difficult to sell or give away, and you are responsible for all fees, until you do?— Yes

CalGalTraveler

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
@Dreamweaver101 Welcome to Tug. You are wise to research such a purchase.

You said you are not a detailed oriented planner. Your maintenance fee budget is at the bottom-end of hotel-branded timeshares (and this will increase every year by 2 - 3%). Plus you are upset by the sampler program choices. Given all of this, I don't think you would be a happy TS owner given you are locked into a school schedule for the next 4 years.

Why don't you rent at TUG or Redweek or directly from resorts to get a feel for independent TS (which fit better in your budget) in your desired locations for the next few years. Once your kids are out of the house, you can then see if more flexible schedules at an independent resort would fit your lifestyle, and whether the maintenance fees and upfront cost save you any money vs. renting.

Good luck!