• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

What Marriott said about devaluation

Zac495

TUG Member
Reaction score
I called Marriott (you read my previous post perhaps).

The Marriott advisor told me that soon to be announced: 250K Marriott points will buy you a similar travel package - 120K FF + 5 nights (vs. 7). What do you think of this?

I called her back later to ask another question. She told me she forwarded my complaint - the whole conversation - to Marriott who, she said, was interested to hear of the complaints - others had called recently. She said everyone should call.

Also, I called the credit card company as another Tugger suggested - I, too, got 3K points for the inconvenience. I'm not sure what I'll do with the card, but may as well take the 3K points - just an fyi - go for it.

Edited to say - I apologize - I just saw that someone else posted about the 5 day package on the other thread that is already 80 posts long. Moderator - I understand if you delete this. Sorry!

Last edited:

Icarus

TUG Member
Reaction score
The Marriott advisor told me that soon to be announced: 250K Marriott points will buy you a similar travel package - 120K FF + 5 nights (vs. 7). What do you think of this?

Devaluation is still devaluation no matter how they sugar coat it.

In this case it's 5 nights versus 7 at the same point level, though you also have to consider bracket creep as they move some hotels up in category and into the new cat 8.

The thing about this (overall topic) is that we had a heated debate from people that swore that buying from the developer because of the points conversion was worth it to them. The even got mad at the people that said buy resale because it was always the best option. They used retail values (like the salespeople do) to compare how much value they can get from their travel packages.

Where are those people now? Every few years, Marriott will continue to "enhance" the rewards program and awards, however, your trade in value for points is fixed at the time you purchase your unit. I don't know how those people justify their position even though they know this going in.

-David

AwayWeGo

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview At Las Vegas

[triennial - points]
Not Just A Famous Old River Over In Egypt.

I don't know how those people justify their position even though they know this going in.
No mystery.

It's called Denial.

So it goes.

-- Alan Cole, McLean (Fairfax County), Virginia, USA.​

thinze3

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
.... you also have to consider bracket creep as they move some hotels up in category and into the new cat 8.... -David

There will probably MANY upgrades and a few downgrades as well.
Most likely 80% of the changes will be upgrades however. IMO

Terry

KathyPet

TUG Member
Reaction score
Those of us who have been around for a while will recall that this is the second time in recent years that Marriott has made substantial changes to the Rewards program which negatively impacted the ability to get a travel package for a reasonable # of points. If I recall the last time they simply raised the # of points required for travel packages across the board. People hooted and hollared and called and wrote Marriott. I am sure that they felt better for having done so. Did it make a difference? Not one whit! I am sure that the results will be the same this time.

KathyPet

TUG Member
Reaction score
MAS, I wouldn't hold my breath on that one but we can remember the good old days!

Dave M

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
That package gave you (1) two economy airline tickets to anywhere in the world that the major airlines in Marriott's program fly, (2) seven nights in any Marriott hotel in the world, (3) a Hertz car for seven days and (4) a mostly worthless AT&T long distance card - all for only 200,000 Marriott Rewards points.

That package was discontinued in 2000. It was replaced by the current hotel/air Travel Packages.

KathyPet

TUG Member
Reaction score
Dave, I always felt that the Hertz certificate was pretty much worthless too due to all the restrictions that they put on it. It was pretty much good for a discount from Hertz's full price daily rate. Either I was using the package for a trip to a European city where I did not want a car or I was able to get a better rate from one of the other car rental companies even after taking the Hertz discount into account. I don't think we ever used the certificate.

gores95

TUG Member
Reaction score
Also, I called the credit card company as another Tugger suggested - I, too, got 3K points for the inconvenience. I'm not sure what I'll do with the card, but may as well take the 3K points - just an fyi - go for it.

OK I always perk up for free points. I did not see the other post where another Tugger called the credit card company. Can you shed some light on this....did you call Chase or Marriott and what did you tell them to get the 3K points???

Inquiring...err...greedy minds want to know!!!!!

Thanks.

sandesurf

TUG Member
Reaction score
OK I always perk up for free points. I did not see the other post where another Tugger called the credit card company. Can you shed some light on this....did you call Chase or Marriott and what did you tell them to get the 3K points???

Inquiring...err...greedy minds want to know!!!!!

Thanks.

Yep, it worked great! I called Chase credit card yesterday and got 5000 points for NOT cancelling! (I had just paid that credit card off). Also, I inquired about getting a lower interest rate on our other Marriott Chase account (we have a joint account and I have my own), and they gave me 3000 on that account too, just because of the phone call! They couldn't lower my rate though, but after I pay that one off, next month, I'll try again. Definitely worth a phone call! :cheer:

Last edited:

Zac495

TUG Member
Reaction score
Chase. CRUD. I only got 3K. I don't owe anything (other than current balance that I pay off every month - I could have paid it on the spot). I will call back tomorrow for my extra 2 K.

sandesurf

TUG Member
Reaction score
Chase. CRUD. I only got 3K. I don't owe anything (other than current balance that I pay off every month - I could have paid it on the spot). I will call back tomorrow for my extra 2 K.

I got 5k after telling the agent that I wanted to cancel the card so I could come back in 6 months and get the Black card with all the incentives. (25,000points). He said he wasn't sure that would work as I'd still have the same account number even if I cancelled the card. Then he offered the 5k points, and I said, "Oh...okay". :whoopie:
Good luck!

pcgirl54

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach
Very disappointed with Chase No ponits offered to me.

I called at 8am this morning and the rep had no idea what I was talking about in regards to Marriott and the rewards change. She said she could switch me to another card and that Marriott can change the program when they want and that her managers would update them with the news of the new reward program.

I asked her what incentive would they give me to keep me as a customer. She put me on hold for a minute and then offered nothing. Then told me Chase would send me a letter in 7-10 days.

I told her she needs to let her managers know that they need to update their staff since their card is directly related to MAR program and the news was released yesterday.

So no, I did not get points. I have had this card for a long time and have worked hard to pay the balance off.

camachinist

TUG Member
Reaction score
Your response (or request) to properly be referred to retention is "I want to cancel my card". If they say "sure" instead of transferring you, then do that :)

If pressed for a "reason", I would merely say "for the annual fee levied, in light of award program changes, I can not justify keeping this card. Thanks" :)

Since we still own developer units, I'll keep ours, for now...

Pat

ira g

TUG Member
Reaction score
I called at 8am this morning and the rep had no idea what I was talking about in regards to Marriott and the rewards change. She said she could switch me to another card and that Marriott can change the program when they want and that her managers would update them with the news of the new reward program.

I asked her what incentive would they give me to keep me as a customer. She put me on hold for a minute and then offered nothing. Then told me Chase would send me a letter in 7-10 days.

I told her she needs to let her managers know that they need to update their staff since their card is directly related to MAR program and the news was released yesterday.

So no, I did not get points. I have had this card for a long time and have worked hard to pay the balance off.
I also called yesterday and told them I wanted to cancel. They offerred no points to keep me but said they would lower my interest rate. This serves no purpose since we keep no outstanding balance. Didn't cancel my card yet but will in the next few months. It seems that it is much better to use my Amex Hilton or Chase's Freedom Visa card, which are both free.

pcgirl54

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach
Pat and Ira,

I did not ask for retention so that may be the issue. The rep though pleasant did not get the value of keeping the customer which was what disappointed me. I had to explain to her the reason people have a rewards card is for the benefit. If there is no benefit then there is no reason to keep the card.

I use Amex charge card for most things but once in awhile you need a Visa or MC.

Fallen on deaf ears.....

Having said this I like Marriott resorts and have used the hotel system to compliment the TS but I own at HP which does not have points.

If I were a points owner and I bought because that is a benefit to me then I would be pretty upset that I can no longer get a week's vacation pkg for giving up my week. I also understand that Marriott or similar programs can be changed at will.

That will further impact buyers from developer weeks if they are savvy but not those buying non developer resale since there are no points awarded.

Glad they nixed the stay anytime though. I wish Delta would do that with Skychoice awards.

thinze3

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Here is my response:

Dear Mr. .......... :

We are very sorry that you are upset with our recent changes in the Marriott Rewards program. This is only the second change to this program in my l5 years with the company and it was necessary due to member feedback that included free nights and more flexibility. We believe these changes support loyalty and guest satisfaction which is critical to the success of our business.

So far we are getting rave reviews from clients who can now go on the trips that were blacked out previously and are able to coordinate more trips with the flexibility of our stays. Also, receiving a free night after purchasing four nights gives you a 5 night package. Two 5 night packages give you l0 days in Europe as an example. I believe after you have had the chance to review all the changes, you too will become a fan and in time maybe a “raving” fan.

Your Vacation Ownership Advisor, ........... , will be happy to assist you in making your dream trip come true. Rick (my salesman) has already told me he plans to help you as well. He is very good with these point trips since he utilizes the program so often.

Again we are sorry for the angst this has caused and look forward to serving you in the future as you travel with Marriott.

I responded back by giving him 2 TugBBS links, 2 Flyertalk links and a Marriott forum link, stating that the feedback is abou 90% negative on each. I also ask for a link to any feedback indicating the "rave reviews" he is speaking about.

Terry