• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 31 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 31st Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $23,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $23 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

What Is The Point ?

timbuktu

TUG Member
Reaction score
Under the new program it costs $99.00 to combine points. I am a weeks member so if I add up $99 plus $199 to exchange plus the maintenance fee of $599. already paid I get a total of $897.
I can rent the same week for $690. This time frame is not even high season which I would prefer. What is the point of exchanging anymore ?

gnipgnop

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
You know.....this makes a lot of sence. And your forgetting the fee for RCI membership which makes it even more costly.

krj9999

TUG Member
Reaction score
I do agree the combine fee is a bit onerous, though it does allow you to extend TPU expiration for an extended period (which is a signficant plus).

And yes, ever increasing exchange fees make exchanging less attractive.

But certainly there are strategies to maximize effectiveness of your TPUs.

sandkastle4966

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
because I can still get a 2 bedroom condo to ski for a week (with a full kitchen and ammenities) for $700 a week.......(I have a nice TPU cost ratio !)

pbenham

TUG Member
Reaction score
Because I can get a 2 bedroom condo to ski for a week with six 7-day lift tickets included (at our home resort). If it wasn't for the lift tickets, it would be difficult to justify.

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
exchanging makes sense to me only when you are depositing long and reserving short.....ie deposit your week as soon as you can to get (for example) 20 tpu, and then make your reservations at the last minute for say 4tpu each..You have no combime fee..each week costs 20% of the mf you paid for the week you deposited, about $125, plus an exchange fee of about $200, plus a portion of your annual rci fee $25

So each week costs about $350

The only time combining makes sense to me is to extend the time to use your points if you are in a use it or lose it situation. or to take several small deposits for that one really special vacation. In that case who cares what it costs its worth it

JudyS

TUG Member
Reaction score
Under the new program it costs $99.00 to combine points. I am a weeks member so if I add up $99 plus $199 to exchange plus the maintenance fee of $599. already paid I get a total of $897.
I can rent the same week for $690. This time frame is not even high season which I would prefer. What is the point of exchanging anymore ?
For exchanging to be worthwhile, you need a week that provides a lot of trade power (TPUs, in the case of RCI Weeks) for the MF paid. It sounds like this week isn't cost-effective for trading in RCI Weeks. It might be cost effective in another system (II or one of the small companies) or you might want to get rid of it and find a better trader.

I've had good luck giving away weeks on TUG's Bargain Board.

Last edited: