• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

What is the minimum # of points?

Purseval

Reaction score
What is the minimum number of points you ca have to be considered a Wyndham owner? Something someone mentioned in another thread got me thinking about a scenario, tell me if you think this is possible:

You buy a small amount of points so you own at a resort but are subjected to a minor MF and tax each year. Then you rent any points you need for your vacation from other owners. Since you are an owner you wouldn't need a guest certificate and the rental would be less than the maintenance fee/taxes you would pay on an equivalent # of points you buy. Plus you would pay for what you need and not have to worry about what to do with the excess. Is that a workable scenario?

lprstn

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I don't know exactly but the smallest package I've seen someone have was 42,000 pts.

Jya-Ning

TUG Member
Reaction score
What is the minimum number of points you ca have to be considered a Wyndham owner? Something someone mentioned in another thread got me thinking about a scenario, tell me if you think this is possible:

You buy a small amount of points so you own at a resort but are subjected to a minor MF and tax each year. Then you rent any points you need for your vacation from other owners. Since you are an owner you wouldn't need a guest certificate and the rental would be less than the maintenance fee/taxes you would pay on an equivalent # of points you buy. Plus you would pay for what you need and not have to worry about what to do with the excess. Is that a workable scenario?

I have seen 28k, 33k. With express period rent cost by Wyndham now $8/K, I don't know if you want to do that or not, there will be transaction charge, and unless you rent from other owner and carry the house keep to you, there will be a HK charge, plus, you will have overhead on the program fee.

But that is certainly workable scenario. You will have to rely on owner to rent you points, after that you can get reservation, so you may sometimes have to wait a little bit longer. But you certainly can restrict your cost to min.

Jya-Ning

Purseval

Reaction score
But that is certainly workable scenario. You will have to rely on owner to rent you points, after that you can get reservation, so you may sometimes have to wait a little bit longer. But you certainly can restrict your cost to min.
Jya-Ning

The thing that got me thinking about this was a quote I saw in another thread:

Perhaps Wyndham on the resale market seems like a good deal, but consider this. It's very likely you can rent a Wyndham week from an existing owner for less than maintenance fees. Why own?

He's right about the maintenance fees but they are calculated as a percentage of the points you have, correct? So if you have a small # of points that fee isn't a drag on your budget and you help other owners out by allowing them to rent you their points without them having to pay for a GC because you are a fellow owner, not a guest. Is my logic flawed somewhere?

Bill4728

Reaction score
IMHO, one of the biggest mistakes people who own a point based TS system make is to buy too fews points.

Personally, I'd buy at least 154K pts. That get you into a 2 bedroom during peak tiime in about 2/3 of the wyndham resorts.

ausman

TUG Member
Reaction score
You buy a small amount of points so you own at a resort but are subjected to a minor MF and tax each year. Then you rent any points you need for your vacation from other owners.

It could a workable scenario, and some years ago it was a popular way to get into Fairfield points.

Conditions have changed since then, namely:

1) The entry cost to Wyndham resale points has dropped greatly, so there is not so much of an initial outlay. Last I looked about 2 mths ago it was easy to find packages at $5/K and the same or less total MF and FSP fee. Prices are probably less now.

2) Small package owners relied on FF setting the floor price. FF rented in the express period at $5/K , no longer They now price them at $8/K.

3) Other owners followed FF pricing and rented to other owners at $5/K or below. Will be interesting to see how that market evolves now that FF has raised prices.

So now the rental from FF avenue is essencially closed due to cost and while there seems to be a glut of owner points at the moment you would be making a long term commitment to be able to rent points at a price below, say, average MF's from other owners.

Your scenario is still workable but now has much more possibility of failure than prior. However your initial outlay and possible loss is small.

I would think now first time buyers, even penny pinchers like me, would probbably not follow that path and look instead for low MF's and a sufficient points package for their use.

jeany1020

TUG Member
Reaction score
this is what i did, i purchased a small amount of points 84,000. i'm new to the ts experience and i didn't want to go over board and get stuck with high mf for life. i rented 100k for under 5.00 a point and was able to reserve a 5 day week at ocean blvd. also i plan to deposit 84k 2008 points into rci and see what pops up for orlando, which i believe is always available.

zazz

TUG Member
Reaction score
There was a 34K package at the La Cascada in San Antonio on Ebay. I am not even sure how someone could use this. Renting points would have been an option before. A single 28K RCI deposit.

The closing costs are more than the value of the points package.

raeuven

Reaction score
That seems unbelieveably low for MF to points ratio. Is that every other year MF or do I just need to keep looking to find one like that??
I will pay more attention to smokey mountains resorts for sale??

Lisa

marsha77

TUG Member
Reaction score
You need at least 77k to get 1 free transaction - if you have less than that, you will have to pay a transaction fee. The fee use to be 25.00, but I think it just went up Oct 15th. $30. if you do it online, & $59 if you call.

Marsha

bnoble

TUG Member
Reaction score
In most cases, converted fixed weeks from large units in prime seasons tend to have the lowest MF/K ratios. There are a few UDI resorts with low fees as well, but not too many.

saf512

TUG Member
Reaction score
yes, it is for every other year (EOY). The EOY account allows us to rent points from an owner on our off year or extend our vacation on our use year... In the near futur, we might concider another EOY account but at a different location in order to take advantage of the 13 month APR.

Sandra