• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $23,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $23 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

What is the best way to handle the Hilton timeshare presentation?

bauerej

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
It has been suggested before on this thread, but we use 2 magic words: TUG and eBay, and tell them what we paid for our resale timeshares ($50 and $10). That usually ends it pretty quickly.

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
We just went to HGVC Marbrisa sales presentation.

We were also told that if we bought Marbrisa on resale that we could only use it during the deeded week without being able to convert to points. Is this true?

I wish I had a buck for every time we’ve heard this BS, its absolutely NOT true.

Its established in the Club Rules, and everyone, resale or direct is a Club member and pays their ever-rising annual Club fee.

Ask for it in writing next time, they won’t be able to produce anything.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

magmue

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: Kingsland
West 57th
Worldmark
Whale Pointe fractional
Point at Poipu (deed)
Lawai Beach Resort
Kauai Beach Villas
When we did a sales presentation at Kingsland in December, the VIP package we purchased at the end also cost ~ $1700 for 7000 points, but gave us the option of using it at for 7 days at Kingsland, Las Vegas, or (IIRC) Marbrisa, something in Florida, and something along southeastern coast. Or 5 nights in NYC or DC.

Re deeded week vs points: I believe Marbrisa is an HGVC affiliate, like Bay Club Waikoloa, which we purchased resale in December after our Kingsland gauntlet. You can convert an affilaite to points by joining HGVC club - cost us a one-time $399, and I think HGVC raised it to $599 in January. Once you "join", you pay the annual club fee like any other HGVC member and have points that are used just like any other HGVC member.

ThomasG

TUG Member
Reaction score
We would always take my mother in law to the presentation. She had Alzheimer's Disease and would start acting up. We told the salesperson we could not really add more points at this time and just looked at Granny. The salesperson could not wait to get to the next person and get rid of us!

Talent312

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
...demand to see the federal right-of-rescission form...

1. There is no "federal" right of rescission form. It is regulated by each state, individually.
B. There is no "form." It is a notice you compose yourself. There is a sample here on TUG.

Lastly, do not offer to sign anything -- would you sign your own death warrant?
It may not be as serious, but think of it as signing your soul over to the devil.
You may intend to rescind, but the best laid plans of mice and men often go astray. (Robert Burns)

Last edited:

Larry M

TUG Member
Reaction score
It has been suggested before on this thread, but we use 2 magic words: TUG and eBay, and tell them what we paid for our resale timeshares ($50 and $10). That usually ends it pretty quickly.
I have been known to take printouts of eBay resale offers into the presentation, placing them on the table at the appropriate point.

Larry

avad88

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
I always tell them we bought all our timeshares on eBay. Then when they give us the lowest price, etc, we tell them we never make ANY major purchase--even an appliance--without sleeping on it and doing research. That usually shuts them up because it is always a one time only buy it now deal.

kc01075

TUG Member
Reaction score
Several of the items we use are: 1. take a picture of the salesmen and tell him this is for facial recognition purposes 2. record the sales presentation (you can get free apps for your smart phone) 3. take plenty of notes 4. have the name and phone number of the attorney general on your note pad 5. tell them up front that you are there for the gift 6. write up a "promise document" and have them sign it....this is a list of items such as you won't be lied to, no high pressure tactics, you'll be in and out in the agree time, etc., etc. If you do these items, salesmen soon realize you won't buy. Most instances, I'm out in 30 minutes or less.

Tamaradarann

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Las Vegas, HGVC Las Vegas on the Strip, HGVC Sea World, Misner Place
1. There is no "federal" right of rescission form. It is regulated by each state, individually.
B. There is no "form." It is a notice you compose yourself. There is a sample here on TUG.

Lastly, do not offer to sign anything -- would you sign your own death warrant?
It may not be as serious, but think of it as signing your soul over to the devil.
You may intend to rescind, but the best laid plans of mice and men often go astray. (Robert Burns)

Isn't that quote from the book "Of Mice and Men" by John Steinbeck and the subsequent 3 movies. The first 1937 movie was by far the best and most dramatic with Burgess Meredith and Lon Chaney Jr.

Tamaradarann

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Las Vegas, HGVC Las Vegas on the Strip, HGVC Sea World, Misner Place

Isn't that quote from the book "Of Mice and Men" by John Steinbeck and the subsequent 3 movies. The first 1937 movie was by far the best and most dramatic with Burgess Meredith and Lon Chaney Jr.

I just looked it up and the Robert Burns Quote came first from a poem and it is the "Best laid Schemes of mice and men often go awry. The book "Of Mice and Men" and subsequent movies in which the best laid plans of men do go astray are by John Steinbeck.

Talent312

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
From Robert Burns' poem To a Mouse, 1786.
It tells of how he, while ploughing a field, upturned a mouse's nest.
The resulting poem is an apology to the mouse:
But, Mousie, thou art no thy lane [you aren't alone]
In proving foresight may be vain:
The best laid schemes o' mice an' men
Gang aft a-gley, [often go awry]
An' lea'e us nought but grief an' pain,
For promised joy.

-- from phrases.org.uk

Last edited:

jnbsevy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sandos Royal Elite
Vidanta
HawaiiCollection
I just took part in one. I had no intention of buying...
It did go a little longer than 2 hours but we did have a lot of questions and we bought into the $1695 offer before quickly rescinding the next day!

WARNING! WARNING! Been there, done that, down in Mexico. "Rescinding the next day" took months of back and forth, including Profeco, and cost us between $1,000 and $2,000 both times. Maybe we are just stupid...but I resonate with
Be polite, don't ask a lot of questions, don't offer a lot of information, always say "no", be aware of the time, and have an obligation scheduled shortly after the allotted time. (However, I do always enjoy finding out about the new properties and changes to the programs)

jnbsevy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sandos Royal Elite
Vidanta
HawaiiCollection
From my personal experience, just like SmithOp mentioned, they claim that resales do not get RCI. Another thing they say is that resale prices are low because they are behind in maintenance payments.
So, let's just internalize the fact that timeshare salespeople are one of the top 3 lying professions of the world, just behind politicians and ahead of army recruiters. Even the timeshare we really like has some duplicious clauses in the contract.
We can be polite and still say without rancour:
1. no thank you, time's up, where's my incentive, please.
2. We think we can find this for 1/10th the price on TUG.com. Could you please bring the ___________ we were promised, we'd like to go now.
3. (Smiling) This is the 3rd time. No thank you, we have another obligation right now, could you bring the ______ we were promised now?

4. (Smiling) This is the 4th time, we need to be somewhere else. Please bring the ______ and we'll leave.

Michaelhenry144

TUG Member
Reaction score
So, let's just internalize the fact that timeshare salespeople are one of the top 3 lying professions of the world, just behind politicians and ahead of army recruiters. Even the timeshare we really like has some duplicious clauses in the contract.
We can be polite and still say without rancour:
1. no thank you, time's up, where's my incentive, please.
2. We think we can find this for 1/10th the price on TUG.com. Could you please bring the ___________ we were promised, we'd like to go now.
3. (Smiling) This is the 3rd time. No thank you, we have another obligation right now, could you bring the ______ we were promised now?
4. (Smiling) This is the 4th time, we need to be somewhere else. Please bring the ______ and we'll leave.
Did you really make an appointment somewhere else after the 2 hr mark? Why does everyone seem to take the 1695 offer and then rescind the next day? Do you take this as just a way to escape?

TAG

TUG Member
Reaction score
We have been 'booted' out of sales presentations when we've mentioned the resale market. We signed up for a Worldmark presentation, 1. To get the gift, and 2. We genuinely wanted to visit the property. The sales droid started off asking if we had any timeshares. When we answered affirmative and mentioned resale he stopped halfway up the stairs, turned around and led us to the ladies that give out the gifts. Later, we found our 'gift' prepaid VISA card had not been activated.

jnbsevy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sandos Royal Elite
Vidanta
HawaiiCollection
Did you really make an appointment somewhere else after the 2 hr mark? Why does everyone seem to take the 1695 offer and then rescind the next day? Do you take this as just a way to escape?
Good questions.
No, we did not make an appointment. "Other obligations" includes making sure my sweet wife has a pleasant vacation, and more than 90 minutes in a sales presentation is not pleasant.
We thought the 5 day rescind law in Mexico gave us time to sleep on the decision. That's reasonable. In fact it gave us 4-6 months to lie awake regretting the decision(s). Now I will pack a nice poster to hang up in our resort room: "You can buy it for pennies on TUG"