• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

What Is a Smart Plug? 4 Ways to Use Them Around the Home

Sandi Bo

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham
My garage door is now "smart" and can be controlled through a smart phone app
As is my new refrigerator! What surprises me, is you have to use an app on your phone.

ScoopKona

Reaction score
Monkey King Coffee - Captain Cook, Hawaii
I have loads of Honeywell switches that aren't smart in that they talk to a automation system I don't want. They're smart in that I can program my latitude and longitude, and now they know time dusk and dawn occurs. That means I can have night lights. They also have a random vacation mode. And they can be set to turn on or off at any time I like, multiple times a day -- not as easy to program since they don't talk to a phone/Google/Apple/Amazon. But I'm also not tied to any system and they work because of astronomy, not because I'm paying someone for their continued usefulness.

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn
I have loads of Honeywell switches that aren't smart in that they talk to a automation system I don't want. They're smart in that I can program my latitude and longitude, and now they know time dusk and dawn occurs. That means I can have night lights. They also have a random vacation mode. And they can be set to turn on or off at any time I like, multiple times a day -- not as easy to program since they don't talk to a phone/Google/Apple/Amazon. But I'm also not tied to any system and they work because of astronomy, not because I'm paying someone for their continued usefulness.
We have over a dozen smart plugs/switches/outlets/ceiling fans/TVs/cameras using free Google home app. They can be programmed dusk/dawn (or increments before or after), fan speeds, dimming range, on/off per schedule and random. They can be grouped by room or other related need.

Our house can be controlled by voice like the Jetsons. Easy to program and no monthly fees whatsoever.

Sandi Bo

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham
We have over a dozen smart plugs/switches/outlets/ceiling fans/TVs/cameras using free Google home app. They can be programmed dusk/dawn (or increments before or after), fan speeds, dimming range, on/off per schedule and random. They can be grouped by room or other related need.

Our house can be controlled by voice like the Jetsons. Easy to program and no monthly fees whatsoever.
My daughter's house is that way - and I watch my grandkids. Yes, I've called and asked her to turn the thermostat up or down for me.

When my Mom was in my house and I had Alexa's and Dots, etc, I had notes on 'em all 'Wake word - Alexa', etc.

For my dogs, I have a note 'Alexa Comfort my Dog' on a sticky.

I have a lot of stickies (yes, I have a few hidden in the cabinets at my daughter's house).

Admittedly, I've yet to download the app for our new thermostat - that is nice to be able to see what the temp is or change from the phone. But I am 'smart enough' to do it manually in my own home and I haven't tackled putting it on my phone (DH did and I've yet to attempt it myself).

Sandi Bo

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham
I imagine it might still happen today?

We've been at softball fields that they couldn't turn the fields lights on because they were programmed for dusk (and the time changed).

I remember the parking lot at work being pitch black for a few days after a time change (and someone needing to update a timer).

ScoopKona

Reaction score
Monkey King Coffee - Captain Cook, Hawaii
I imagine it might still happen today?

We've been at softball fields that they couldn't turn the fields lights on because they were programmed for dusk (and the time changed).

I remember the parking lot at work being pitch black for a few days after a time change (and someone needing to update a timer).

Not unless something changes the Earth's rotational speed or orbit. This isn't tied into anything other than "when is sunrise/sunset based on lat/long?" Just like the tide doesn't care about "tidal savings time," or what Google says on the matter, neither does the Earth's rotation and orbital position.

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn
Not unless something changes the Earth's rotational speed or orbit. This isn't tied into anything other than "when is sunrise/sunset based on lat/long?" Just like the tide doesn't care about "tidal savings time," or what Google says on the matter, neither does the Earth's rotation and orbital position.
Honeywell switches change for DST, and if DST dates change it will be incorrect. It will be wrong whether or not earth changes orbit or rotational speed.

Last edited:

MOXJO7282

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
We use for ours via Alexa for our sauna, outdoor lights, waterfall, multiple lights and a heater for my MIL. They work good for her to turn things on in her room without getting up. Also great for Xmas lights.

1Kflyerguy

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Kings Land, Elara, and Marriott Destination Club Points
Honeywell switches change for DST, and if DST dates change it will be incorrect. It will be wrong whether or not earth changes orbit or rotational speed.

Pretty sure that if the earth's orbit or rotational speed changes, we will have much bigger problems than Scoop's automation not working correctly...