• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

What happens when you die?

chunkygal

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC BWV 215 pts

MVC Kauai, Wioahai

Enrolled in DC
I am sure this has come up before, but what happens at MVC when the owner dies? DVC has a finite period of time for ownership, but MVC is supposed to be forever. What happens when both people die or no one wants it any longer?

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
The estate must take care of disposition of the asset (timeshare).

billymach4

TUG Member
Reaction score
I interpret the OP's question to say.

What if you don't have a will?

What if your heirs don't want the TS?

How does the HOA recover the past due fees?

Perhaps these are units that go up for auction by the local government, and then the HOA recovers the past due fees as a stipulation of the sale?

Ridewithme38

TUG Member
Reaction score
The Timeshare drains everything in your ownership, your house, your savings, your life insurance, your everything of value until nothing is left then eventually they take the deed back

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
The Timeshare drains everything in your ownership, your house, your savings, your life insurance, your everything of value until nothing is left then eventually they take the deed back

Ok - Let's say my MF is $1,000 a year, and my estate is a modest $50,000. That means they won't foreclose for 50 years - right? :shrug:

Does that mean if I have a million dollar estate, they will wait a thousand years?:confused:

Or maybe you think you are going to have a really, small estate?

Or maybe you just made that all up? :D
baloney_man.jpg

Last edited:

Ridewithme38

TUG Member
Reaction score
Ok - Let's say my MF is $1,000 a year, and my estate is a modest $50,000. That means they won't foreclose for 50 years - right? :shrug:

Or maybe you think you are going to have a really, small estate?

Or maybe you just made that all up? :D

Thats right, 50 years, if you don't account for the LARGE MF increases every year and the Special Accessments, i'd say closer to 10 years for 50,000...You and i both know some resort can't even be given away...IF YOUR LUCKY, you'll be able to get rid of it in 10years...

DeniseM you can try to spread all the dis-information you want, but we both know what i'm saying is the truth

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
All the estate has to do if it can't dispose of the TS is quit paying the MFs. The only security that the HOA has is the deed that they can foreclose on. They would have to sue to come after other assets in the estate. Far too costly of an endeavor.

Ridewithme38

TUG Member
Reaction score
All the estate has to do if it can't dispose of the TS is quit paying the MFs. The only security that the HOA has is the deed that they can foreclose on. They would have to sue to come after other assets in the estate. Far too costly of an endeavor.

thats a valid point...your credit rating doesn't really matter when your dead....But it does put the burden of your MF's on the other owners

infamazz

TUG Member
Reaction score
I interpret the OP's question to say.

What if you don't have a will?

What if your heirs don't want the TS?

How does the HOA recover the past due fees?

Perhaps these are units that go up for auction by the local government, and then the HOA recovers the past due fees as a stipulation of the sale?

An estate asset cannot be forced on beneficiaries - the beneficiary can decline the distribution. What happens to the asset after that is governed by the respective state's laws on intestate (dying without a will). If each tier of beneficiaries declines to take the asset, most states would then take possession. Obviously the state would not be on the hook for MF's on such an asset in that situation and cannot be compelled ot pay.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
But let's not forget my FAVORITE part of this fairy tale! :rofl:

Viking ship, as used on TUG, is a corporation or LLC that is setup with the spacific intent of going into bankruptcy and dissolving....These are used by a very few PCC's as a way to get owners that are suffering major financial problems out of the TS contracts that they can no longer pay for, saving these poor people from eviction from their homes, losing their jobs and ending up on the streets where their children will eventually die of starvation or be forced to turn to a life of drugs and crime

To sum it up, Viking ships help children survive and thrive to become strong successful members of our society

Ridewithme38

TUG Member
Reaction score
But let's not forget my FAVORITE part of this fairy tale! :rofl:

Viking ship, as used on TUG, is a corporation or LLC that is setup with the spacific intent of going into bankruptcy and dissolving....These are used by a very few PCC's as a way to get owners that are suffering major financial problems out of the TS contracts that they can no longer pay for, saving these poor people from eviction from their homes, losing their jobs and ending up on the streets where their children will eventually die of starvation or be forced to turn to a life of drugs and crime

To sum it up, Viking ships help children survive and thrive to become strong successful members of our society

What? You don't care about the Children??

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
What? You don't care about the Children??

Rats! You found me out! Don't tell the hundreds of students I've had over the last 30+ years! I fooled them all! ;)

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Maui Ocean Club Lahaina Villas (3BRx5), Ko Olina, Shadow Ridge II, Willow Ridge, Aruba Ocean Club, DC Points HGVC: Flamingo, Sea World, I-Drive, Starwood Bella (x4), SDO, TradeWinds, Worldmark
DeniseM you can try to spread all the dis-information you want, but we both know what i'm saying is the truth

Ride, I don't agree with you. I do not believe that timeshares will suck the remaining assets out of someone's estate and bankrupt their children, and I think your suggestion is way off the mark.

And I don't think that's DeniseM in the Bad Teacher poster. Where's the computer?

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Bad-Teacher-poster.jpg
[/QUOTE]

I am definitely going to take this as a compliment! :hysterical:

jlepstein1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Ocean Pointe, Beachplace, Barony
I am sure this has come up before, but what happens at MVC when the owner dies? DVC has a finite period of time for ownership, but MVC is supposed to be forever. What happens when both people die or no one wants it any longer?
I understand that there is new post-mortem technology available which allows you to take it with you into the next life. Does anyone know if this requires approval from the board of the T/S? Also, can you still belong to II?

ampaholic

TUG Member
Reaction score
I understand that there is new post-mortem technology available which allows you to take it with you into the next life. Does anyone know if this requires approval from the board of the T/S? Also, can you still belong to II?

Actually according to certain eastern philosophies you will get free access to all the common areas of all the resorts on Maui - just come back as a sea gull! :hysterical:

chunkygal

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC BWV 215 pts

MVC Kauai, Wioahai

Enrolled in DC
These responses have been toooo funny.

I will have to get a separate life insurance policy for the HOA dues so my kids can eat.

brianfox

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Waiohai x3
I think the proper answer is to use the Timeshare as leverage against your heirs - let them know that whoever doesn't treat you nice gets saddled with it. You will immediately notice that they treat you with a newfound respect.

If you don't have any heirs, leave it to your cat and have a great laugh from beyond, watching Marriott try to collect the MF. (And don't think they won't...)