• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

What does this mean?

Quilter

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
"Any modification to a reservation for the length of stay within a different booking window will result in the refunded Vacation Club Points being placed in a Holding Account. For example, if an Enrolled Owner makes a reservation for a 7-night reservation 12 months in advance, and then later reduces the vacation to 5 nights once within the 10-month booking window, the difference in Vacation Club Points used for the 7-night reservation will be returned in a Holding Account."

Is the "Holding Account" always the "penalty box"? I thought you could cancel all or part of a reservation prior to 61 days of check-in and get back all your DC points to use without penalty within the use year or bank (prior to June 30) to the next year.

According to the above, if I book something 13 or 12 months in advance but reduce the amount of days at the 10 month mark or later, the points will be penalty points.

What am I missing?

FractionalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
"Any modification to a reservation for the length of stay within a different booking window will result in the refunded Vacation Club Points being placed in a Holding Account. For example, if an Enrolled Owner makes a reservation for a 7-night reservation 12 months in advance, and then later reduces the vacation to 5 nights once within the 10-month booking window, the difference in Vacation Club Points used for the 7-night reservation will be returned in a Holding Account."

Is the "Holding Account" always the "penalty box"? I thought you could cancel all or part of a reservation prior to 61 days of check-in and get back all your DC points to use without penalty within the use year or bank (prior to June 30) to the next year.

According to the above, if I book something 13 or 12 months in advance but reduce the amount of days at the 10 month mark or later, the points will be penalty points.

What am I missing?

Quilter, I don't think this example applies to Premier Plus owners.

I believe this rule was specifically established for owners (Regular enrolled Owners and Premier owners) who attempt to game the system by reserving for 7+ nights at 13 months out and then change their reservation to less nights within the 13-10 month window of opportunity.

Quilter

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you. I've been reading legal docs and my-vacationclub again until dizzy.

Another question: If I have 75 2013 DC points can I bank them to 2014 and then use them with some of my 2014 points to reserve a night? For example, 3/1/14 Lakeshore Reserve requires 175 pts. for a given night. Can I use the 75 from 2013 plus 100 from 2014 for the one night?

And even another: If I have penalty box DC points can I combine them with fresh points to reserve a single night as long as the night is within the 60 day window?

FractionalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes, you can bank them as long as they originated in 2013.

Yes, you can combine the points in that manner for 2014. In fact the system will try to take the points with the oldest shelf life first and then add to what it needs to complete the reservation.

Too bad we can't make 2014 reservations yet. LOL......

You may be able to combine the penalty box points with other points for a 1 night stay within the 60 day window. I have tested that one already from two different buckets but not with penalty points. I avoid those like a plague!

Last edited:

Quilter

TUG Member
Reaction score
Too bad we can't make 2014 reservations yet. LOL......

You may be able to combine the penalty box points with other points for a 1 night stay within the 60 day window. I have tested that one already from two different buckets but not with penalty points. I avoid those like a plague!

Thanks again.

Yes :) my 2014 example was just fictional.

I'm trying to be prepared with a plan in case I end up with small portions or some of those penalty points. Owners in Hawaii, in the West, on the Atlantic Coast and in Florida all have resorts within a 4 hour drive to use up penalty points with a fun short stay. Being from the Midwest it's not so easy. I want a full understanding of all the parameters so I'm prepared to travel or otherwise find ways to use up these points and not let them expire unused.

When we had the recent points tour at Oceana my husband told the sales guy that I managed the vacation accounts. Salesguy got a quizzical look on his face and said "What do you mean manage?" I think he wanted to elude to the fact that by joining the DC things could be so-o-o simple by just letting Owner Services take care of everything. I wasn't biting. Then when we were standing in the lobby at Barony the sales guy who has his desk right there began chatting with us. I wasn't trying to be very chatty but I didn't want to be rude and happened to mention how I had been calling II trying to rearrange some confirmations. He found his "in" (my opinion) and then said "You know now you don't have to call II, that there's just one number you have to call?" When I said "Yes, I know" he asked if I really understood because a lot of people think they do but they really don't. Again, I felt he was trying to suggest that with the DC all I had to do was let Owner Services take care of it all.

Don't get me wrong, I'm fine having joined the DC. Still, no one can convince me it's simple.

Kind of like our first year of timeshare when I called II and asked what I needed to deposit to get a 2 bedroom in Orlando. A 2 bedroom, of course. Then I read began a thorough reading at TUG. Now that it's time for more delving into DC details.

Thanks again for the help.

Last edited:

jimf41

TUG Member
Reaction score
Suzzanne,

You are in a great resort on a great Island. You're last post was a 2155. That's 5 minutes to 10 PM for you Marines out there. Stop worrying about next year and go to bed and have a good time tomorrow.

At our age next year might not get here in time.

Quilter

TUG Member
Reaction score
Ah yes Jim, time to give it a rest. Funny you should be the one to make such a suggestion. . .when I think how my recent surge at this crash course in TUG School began I have you to thank :D , check out post #25:

http://tugbbs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=162672

That started a chain reaction for using and understanding the DC.