• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $23,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $23 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

What do you look for when you first settle in?

clifffaith

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark
Light switches. There doesn’t always seem to be a relationship between the location of the lights and the placement of the switches.
Three years later, I still reach to the wrong side for the light switch when headed to the laundry closet in our hall.

Superchief

TUG Member
Reaction score
Since we usually check in later in the afternoon, I first look for a corkscrew/ wine opener. Then I can have a welcome glass of wine while checking everything else. The missing things we encounter most often are blenders, pots/pans, kitchen utensils, coffee filters, and we've had a few non-functioning coffee makers.

clifffaith

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark
I check and see if the icemaker is on. It takes a day to fill the bin!
I would much rather have someone’s “old ice” than no ice at all. But appreciate the sticker on the freezer door (Worldmark) saying it has been cleaned out and started up new. If no ice Cliff’s first job after schlepping bags in is to go in search of a hallway ice maker.

jme

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts:
Grande Ocean x 6
Barony x 2
OceanWatch x 1
Manor Club x 1
Waterside by Spin x 2
Sheraton Bdw Pln x2
ChurchSt/Charleston x2
Since we usually check in later in the afternoon, I first look for a corkscrew/ wine opener. Then I can have a welcome glass of wine while checking everything else. The missing things we encounter most often are blenders, pots/pans, kitchen utensils, coffee filters, and we've had a few non-functioning coffee makers.

We don't like the small hand corkscrew that is standard issue at hotels and timeshares.....they're cheap, difficult, and just aggravating,
And often they can't be found in the kitchen drawer anyway.
For years we've carried our own electric Cuisinart corkscrew, and it's so easy and nice, and it's always there ready to go to work.
Fits nicely in our wine carry bag, which holds up to 4-5 bottles of wine.

See: https://www.cuisinart.com/wine-open...MIy8aJ9PLJiAMVmTEIBR2OtBFIEAQYAyABEgLVqvD_BwE

jmhpsu93

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Abound Points
MVC Grande Vista (x2)
MVC Cypress Harbour (x2)
MVC Harbour Lake (x2)
Golden Shores (Mexico)
We don't like the small hand corkscrew that is standard issue at hotels and timeshares.....they're cheap, difficult, and just aggravating,
And often they can't be found in the kitchen drawer anyway.
For years we've carried our own electric Cuisinart corkscrew, and it's so easy and nice, and it's always there ready to go to work.
Fits nicely in our wine carry bag, which holds up to 4-5 bottles of wine.

See: https://www.cuisinart.com/wine-opener/CWO-50.html?frt=15&nbt=nb:adwords:x:21470027214::&nb_adtype=pla&nb_kwd=&nb_ti=&nb_mi=8527973&nb_pc=online&nb_pi=CWO-50&nb_ppi=&nb_placement=&nb_li_ms=&nb_lp_ms=&nb_fii=&nb_ap=&nb_mt=&gad_source=1&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIy8aJ9PLJiAMVmTEIBR2OtBFIEAQYAyABEgLVqvD_BwE
Every single automatic or overbuilt wine opener I've bought has broken rather quickly...ditto with expensive coffee makers.

We carry our own hand corkscrew, but I've found the ones at MVCs work just fine. :shrug:

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
As we walk in we take a sniff. Usually everything smells right. Before we unpack, we check the bed. It's only been a couple of times that we found anything odd. Other than that, if we think they need it, we wash the dishes and coffee pot. We always throw a sheet over the couch.

Bill

aka Julie

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Shadow Ridge (platinum)
It’s interesting reading this thread. Never thought of doings some of these things, but picked up a couple we’ll do in the future.

We always put away the coffee maker, toaster, tea kettle and blender if they’re on the counter. Never use them. Move the knife block and paper towel dispenser closer to the sink. Wash dishes and turn on ice maker. Put away the placemats (think they are nasty). Use sanitizer wipes on wall switches and TV remotes.

NboroGirl

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
I don't check anything either, except for turning on the ice maker in the freezer.

The first thing I do is find a bowl to contain the large bag of Skittles I bring. I've been doing this since the kids were small. Now it's mostly for me and my husband and any guests (adult children and their wives, siblings, friends, etc) we invite. It's not vacation until the bowl of Skittles is out on the counter. Then I unpack as quickly as I can so we can go out and get groceries... and then begin our vacation.