• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $23,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $23 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

What do you look for when you first settle in?

sea&ski

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I got to thinking about a few posts lately. When we first enter our villa, I do a cursory check for supplies. This time, I find there is no dish soap and no scrub pad for dishes. Is this intentional? I doubt it but I will find out in the morning. I sure hope I don't find this is something I need to pay for. Everything else seems to be in order. There are extra kleenex boxes, horrid paper towels and soap bars, towels, pool towels, etc. What else I do? check the dishwasher for standing water and open the washer and dryer. The last two are recurrent issues with me. Our home location involves sand. Sand often fills the dryer, the barrel and the lint filter. I have had convos with the GM of our timeshare and the cleanliness has improved. However, I do have issue with the washer almost everywhere we stay. Tonight I find a detergent dispenser filled with a hardened, gelled substance and water. I am running a tub clean cycle to see what transpires. How hard is it to check this when cleaning a villa between visits? In-unit washer and dryer are a big plus of the timeshare units. Am I alone in finding this an issue?

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
I've never really noticed issues with the in unit washing machines and we have been in a lot of timeshare units. I was shocked when we checked in to Grand Chateau earlier today to find eight (count em 8) wash cloths in the one bedroom side of the three bedroom lock off. The two bedroom side had a total of 16. I've never seen that many washcloths in a timeshare unit. In many cases we are lucky to get three in a 1BR.

There are also dozens of Finish automatic dishwasher detergent packets between the two units. Though the actual dishwashers are covered in scale on the inside. I suspect some vinegar through a cycle would fix that. A lock off also means we get two Scrub Mommys :)

sea&ski

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I've never really noticed issues with the in unit washing machines and we have been in a lot of timeshare units. I was shocked when we checked in to Grand Chateau earlier today to find eight (count em 8) wash cloths in the one bedroom side of the three bedroom lock off. The two bedroom side had a total of 16. I've never seen that many washcloths in a timeshare unit. In many cases we are lucky to get three in a 1BR.

There are also dozens of Finish automatic dishwasher detergent packets between the two units. Though the actual dishwashers are covered in scale on the inside. I suspect some vinegar through a cycle would fix that. A lock off also means we get two Scrub Mommys :)
No scrub anybodies here. I will follow up on this because we should have some of those relatives at our place. Sounds like you hit the wash cloth jackpot! Check your washer! You might have our washer detergent, I found that missing too ;)

dougp26364

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Destination Club Points
Hilton Grand Vacation Club Las Vegas Blvd
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Spinnaker French Quarter Resort Branson
I can’t say we’ve ever had an issue serious enough that I remember. There’s always been adequate cleaning supplies. The washer/dryer has always been in good working order, although sometimes I’ve felt it was a cheaper model than we prefer, but that’s a matter of preference.
We have had the occasional snags where we know the room wasn’t thoroughly cleaned because we’ve found items under the bed or furniture, but that’s been rare. I don’t recall ever being short on kitchen supplies, but I don’t hand wash items so I don’t really look. Because of seasonal allergies, I do notice the unit being supplied with extra boxes of Kleenex and have never run short that I recall. However, when talking a 25 year history of ownership with Marriott, it’s hard to really be certain.

Danlop88

TUG Member
Reaction score
I can’t say we’ve ever had an issue serious enough that I remember. There’s always been adequate cleaning supplies. The washer/dryer has always been in good working order, although sometimes I’ve felt it was a cheaper model than we prefer, but that’s a matter of preference.
We have had the occasional snags where we know the room wasn’t thoroughly cleaned because we’ve found items under the bed or furniture, but that’s been rare. I don’t recall ever being short on kitchen supplies, but I don’t hand wash items so I don’t really look. Because of seasonal allergies, I do notice the unit being supplied with extra boxes of Kleenex and have never run short that I recall. However, when talking a 25 year history of ownership with Marriott, it’s hard to really be certain.

jme

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts:
Grande Ocean x 6
Barony x 2
OceanWatch x 1
Manor Club x 1
Waterside by Spin x 2
Sheraton Bdw Pln x2
ChurchSt/Charleston x2
In this order: make sure that the A/C, Fridge/ice maker, and TV are working well. Balcony glass door functioning properly.
Wife checks the other stuff....dishwasher working, supplies, etc.

klpca

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
We just make sure that we have coffee filters and that we understand how to make coffee so that we can make coffee in the morning. We bring our own coffee or buy it on the first grocery run, but we get tripped up by coffee filters or weird coffee makers every once in awhile.

dioxide45

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
In this order: make sure that the A/C, Fridge/ice maker, and TV are working well. Balcony glass door functioning properly.
Wife checks the other stuff....dishwasher working, supplies, etc.
Yeah, checking the AC is super important. We've been burnt, literal, in an 85 degree room after we unpacked everything.

As for myself, my priorities are a little different. No one else would have to do this. I go in, turn on all the lights, make sure all the drawers and cupboards are closed and open the curtains to let in more light. Then I film the room. If something is broken, we call to get it fixed after I've done all that. We've had to move to a different room after I filmed everything. So the room in my videos isn't always the one we stayed in the whole time.

silentg

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
Used to fill out the inventory sheet, not lately, I check the bathroom toilets and faucets, make sure air conditioning or heat is working depended on where I am.

melissy123

TUG Member
Reaction score
First thing I check: size/view from the balcony and trying to judge if balcony will be in sun/shade in the morning when I have my coffee. Second: coffee maker setup and size of coffee cups. DH teases me I should travel with my own preferred large sized coffee cup.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
First thing I check: size/view from the balcony and trying to judge if balcony will be in sun/shade in the morning when I have my coffee.
Why? I'd hope no one would push for a room change for this situation.

I tend to check the unit in general, expected supplies, around bed for bed bugs, AC/heat depending on specifics, is the fridge working, make sure the ice maker is turned on and for evidence of water leaks.

dioxide45

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA

I tend to check the unit in general, expected supplies, around bed for bed bugs, AC/heat depending on specifics, is the fridge working, make sure the ice maker is turned on and for evidence of water leaks.
I wouldn't usually check the fridge. That is an easy swap out if I learn it isn't working. Now the AC, that is a different situation. If that is broke, it could be a miserable several hours or even days. AC would require a room change if it isn't working and can't be fixed quickly.

marmite

TUG Sightings Guru
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grand Chateau, Sheraton Desert Oasis,
HGVC Paradise,
WorldMark
I look for a kettle and (especially if in Hawaii) a rice-cooker. Usually housekeeping will bring these items if they're not in the suite. I also check the condition of the non-stick frying pan and ask for another if it looks like the surface is deteriorating. I check to see if the ice maker is on.

I need to start looking in the showers to see if the big bottles of shampoo/conditioner/body wash are there as my last Westin timeshare did not have these. Not sure if people are starting to take them home or if housekeeping forgot to replenish. Anyhow, a very short list but maybe I should do the bed bug check. Ewww.

Last edited:

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 16 wks; Maui Schooner, 1 EOY Wk; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI
I really don't do any checks. We unpack right away. As we are putting stuff away and making ourselves ready for our stay we may notice some thing but we're not really checking anything. In all our years using our timeshares we haven't really had any issues at all.

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn

zentraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Four Seasons Residence Club
I really don't do any checks. We unpack right away. As we are putting stuff away and making ourselves ready for our stay we may notice some thing but we're not really checking anything. In all our years using our timeshares we haven't really had any issues at all.
We must have been lucky too. No yucky washer/dryer or any of what has been mentioned.

mauitraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
In addition to the great suggestions already, I am reminded of posts from years ago about wiping down light switches, door knobs, the TV remote, the phones, faucets, etc. (anything that someone else may have touched...) with sanitizing wipes. Washing dishes and utensils before use is a good precaution, as well. As Dean and Marmite do, we always check for bedbugs before we do any unpacking on the beds. Someone even suggested that instead of placing your luggage on the floor, place them in the tub if you don't plan on using the tub. Safe and Happy travels to all!

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Son Antem, Playa Andaluza, Harbour Lake

I have done. In February this year I popped over to Spain for a couple of weeks for a bit of sun and the first room I was given the balcony was in shade throughout the whole day due to the layout of the buildings and the position of the winter sun. I certainly changed rooms on that occasion to one with a south facing balcony.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I have done. In February this year I popped over to Spain for a couple of weeks for a bit of sun and the first room I was given the balcony was in shade throughout the whole day due to the layout of the buildings and the position of the winter sun. I certainly changed rooms on that occasion to one with a south facing balcony.
As with most room assignments I think it's OK to ask but not to demand and in this situation, not to insist.