• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

What do you do when you can't use your TS?

glypnirsgirl

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
I will not be able to use my TSs this year. I have some (that trede in) II and some that are in RCI points that I will not be using.

In RCI, I have 35,000 in points for this year (actually 2011 points) and 35,000 coming in September, 2012. (I have used almost all of my TPUs in weeks, so I am not concerned about RCI weeks). Can I add points like you can TPUs? What can I do to keep my 2011 points usable?

I also have 2 weeks in Sheraton Broadway Plantation. They are gold plus weeks and I have historically gotten good trades with them. I bought them resale so they have no SVO points. I normally deposit them in II and use them for trading. I don't need a trade for more than a year from now.

We won't be taking another timeshare vacation until Spring, 2013.

What would you do?

elaine

Ridewithme38

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'd give them to a friend and someone who you felt was like a brother/sister to you because of all the great conversations you've had with them on a forum....And if you wanted to book a 2br week 28 for that friends birthday at SBP, i'm sure they would be very appreciative!

:wave:

squeeze

TUG Member
Reaction score
I will not be able to use my TSs this year. I have some (that trede in) II and some that are in RCI points that I will not be using.

In RCI, I have 35,000 in points for this year (actually 2011 points) and 35,000 coming in September, 2012. (I have used almost all of my TPUs in weeks, so I am not concerned about RCI weeks). Can I add points like you can TPUs? What can I do to keep my 2011 points usable?

I also have 2 weeks in Sheraton Broadway Plantation. They are gold plus weeks and I have historically gotten good trades with them. I bought them resale so they have no SVO points. I normally deposit them in II and use them for trading. I don't need a trade for more than a year from now.

We won't be taking another timeshare vacation until Spring, 2013.

What would you do?

elaine

If you bank the SBP with II you have 2 years to use them, so you can just save those and use them next time. For spring 2013 you will be planning soon for that, correct?

Not sure about the rest. But, letting a friend or family use them could be a good idea.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
With your Starwood II deposit - You have up to 30 mos. to use an exchange assignment - all exchange assignments expire on June 30th two years after the use year.

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
I gave my RCI points to a fellow tugger. but in answer to my post there were a few that offered to pay me something...so perhaps you could recover some money

I considered making a reservation and renting to just cover my costs. I think that this would slip by the RCI police, but in the end I gave away 74000 rci points...not because I couldnt use them, but because I decided I dont like them...Im letting my points account die

glypnirsgirl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks, Squeeze and Denise - That is easy then for SBP, all I have to do is deposit in II.

Anyone know what to do about the September 2011 RCI points?

elaine

am1

TUG Member
Reaction score
This is a good reason to own less timeshares than one plans to use each year.

glypnirsgirl

TUG Member
Reaction score
This is a good reason to own less timeshares than one plans to use each year.

Indeed!

I own 5 weeks. My husband gets 5 weeks of vacation. To me, that was just the right amount of weeks.

What I failed to consider was two things:(1) there are no timeshares in some places we want to visit; (2) my husband doesn't want to go somewhere with every week that he has off.

This year we made several non-timeshare visits: 4 trips to visit kids out of state (2 more coming up). A trip to visit my parents in Oregon. A two week trip to Utah/Arizona for Grand Canyon/Bryce/Zion. A three week trip to China (joining my husband who was there on business). All but 3 of those trips were either emergencies or serendipitous.

I normally have paid for trips for my employees using the weeks that I know that we won't use. No one wants to go anywhere! :shrug:

My husband wants to sell one of our DVC contracts. He thinks that we will have luck in the future trading in through RCI --- which we have done alot in the last 3 or 4 years. I don't think our luck wil hold.

We clearly need to get rid of something, I just don't want it to be my DVC!

elaine

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
With your Starwood II deposit - You have up to 30 mos. to use an exchange assignment - all exchange assignments expire on June 30th two years after the use year.

So your 2012 use year will expire June 30 2014. If you have 2 starwood deposits each year, you may not want them to get too far ahead. The more deposits you have available the more like II and starwood will get them mixed up and "lose" them in the system. This summer you might want to reserve a summer week for 2013 and try to rent it. If it doesn't rent you can cancel and turn it back into something that is designated for deposit.

Larry M

TUG Member
Reaction score
What do you do when you cant use your Timeshare?

What would you do?

elaine

Well, we used to bank the Fairfield Bay weeks and then exchange for Williamsburg or someplace. Then I started exchanging for Edisto. Then they ceased permitting exchanges. Then I started letting Fairfield Bay rent it for me, which at least covered half the maintenance fee. Then they stopped providing notifications that it was time to commit to use or offer to rent. I have to remember to notify them which involves calling three or four 800 numbers to find one where they will agree to rent it and faxing forms back and forth. So I'm attempting to rent it every year, and advertising it for sale for $1.00on TUG.

This was not the deal that was contracted for and I will never own another Wyndham property. Too bad we never recorded the sales pitch--it would certainly be a breach of (verbal) contract.

whatsburning

TUG Member
Reaction score
Indeed!

I own 5 weeks. My husband gets 5 weeks of vacation. To me, that was just the right amount of weeks.

What I failed to consider was two things:(1) there are no timeshares in some places we want to visit; (2) my husband doesn't want to go somewhere with every week that he has off.

This year we made several non-timeshare visits: 4 trips to visit kids out of state (2 more coming up). A trip to visit my parents in Oregon. A two week trip to Utah/Arizona for Grand Canyon/Bryce/Zion. A three week trip to China (joining my husband who was there on business). All but 3 of those trips were either emergencies or serendipitous.

I normally have paid for trips for my employees using the weeks that I know that we won't use. No one wants to go anywhere! :shrug:

My husband wants to sell one of our DVC contracts. He thinks that we will have luck in the future trading in through RCI --- which we have done alot in the last 3 or 4 years. I don't think our luck wil hold.

elaine

I would think putting your DVC on the exchange or rent marketplace will get lots of interest if you don't feel like selling it yet. I know I'm always looking!

SOS8260456

TUG Member
Reaction score
This year we made several non-timeshare visits: 4 trips to visit kids out of state (2 more coming up).

elaine

This is why I constantly tell my children that when they "grow up" and if they have to move away, it better be someplace with a Wyndham nearby. :)

Sell your DVC :bawl: I'd feel the same way about selling my DVC, but we only own a small contract mostly for the annual pass discount.

I would get rid of any that would be easy to replace later on if you want it back.

Otherwise rent what you are permitted to rent to at least cover some, if not all, of your maintenance fees.

Lisa

Carolinian

TUG Member
Reaction score
Since I have been working in Europe, I have generally been renting our summer OBX week, which brings a nice little profit that I can use for other trips.