• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

What are you cooking?

heathpack

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt High Sierra and Highland Inn
Disney’s Grand Californian and Hilton Head Island
Marriott Barony Beach and Mountainside
MVC Points
Sheraton Broadway Plantation
Pork Gyros, with tzatziki, cucumbers, pickled red onion and kalamata olives, in whole wheat pita. With salad.

I found a recipe on Cooks Country. It calls for pork butt roast but I made it last week with pork tenderloin and it was so delicious that I made it again this week. :p

507B2834-1776-41EC-8D2B-74DE9EF2F78D.jpeg

amycurl

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I often sub pork tenderloin for pork butt or other less-fancy cuts, but only because we tend to find them on sale super-cheap. This weekend, I picked up one of those ginormous Costo pork loins (the ones that tell you where to cut it and freeze different sections) for $4.00. Not $4/pound. FOUR DOLLARS TOTAL. They were doing one of their $4 off the top sales; I kept digging in the case, and found an $8something-sized one (most were $12-$15 dollars; before I found the $8 one, I had already thought I was doing well to find an $11 one). So, four dollars off the top of that?!? We will get *at least* four different main-course dishes out of that one HUGE piece of pork, and, with leftovers, probably 6-8 meals for each dish. That comes out to something like .25 cents a serving. :D

bjones9942

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Lindo Mar, Puerto Vallarta; Lake Tahoe Beach & Ski, South Lake Tahoe
Pork knuckle. Because a trip to Munich or Prague ('Porks.cz') isn't in my near future!

Wrapped in bacon because my butcher refuses to leave the skin on!

dinner-9179915.JPG

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
I created this Instant Pot recipe last night to use up a fresh pineapple, and my husband said it was the best thing I've made in the Instant Pot:

Pineapple Shredded Pork

1 T. oil
1 lean pork roast - I used a 3 lb. picnic roast - cut into 2 flat pieces.
1 pineapple cubed (or a large can of pineapple with juice - I had a pineapple to use up, so I used fresh.)

2 C. water
1 pkg. dehydrated onion soup
1/4 c. soy sauce
1/2 c. brown sugar
2 T. minced garlic

1 sliced onion
1 C. sliced celery
1 C. sliced red, yellow, and/or green peppers
1 C. shredded carrot (I used the pkg. kind from the produce aisle)

In a 4 C. glass measuring cup or microwave safe bowl, stir together 2 C. water, onion soup, soy sauce, garlic, and brown sugar - heat in the microwave for 3 min. and then stir well to dissolve sugar and soup granules. Set aside. (Add the pineapple juice to this mixture if you are using canned pineapple.)

Spread 1 T. oil in the bottom of the Instant Pot.
Place metal trivet in the Instant pot and place the 2 pieces of pork roast on top - covering as much of the trivet as possible.
Place the cubed pineapple on top of the roast - try to keep as much of it as possible on top of the roast.
Pour the onion soup mixture over the roast and pineapple.
Put on the lid and set Instant pot for meat/60 min. or manual/60 min.
After 60 min, wait for a natural release.

Use tongs to place pork on a large tray or platter and set aside.
Use tongs to remove metal trivet.
You will have 3-4 cups of broth left in the pot.
Scrap the bottom of the pot well to make sure you have no stuck on bits that might cause a burn notice.
Turn instant pot off, and then on saute.
Stir onion, celery, peppers, and carrot into the broth in the pot, and stir occasionally while you shred the meat.
After the broth comes to a boil, and the vegetables are tender-crisp, stir together 2 T. cornstarch with 2 T. cold water, and stir into broth until thickened.
Stir in shredded pork and saute for a few minutes more.
Adjust seasoning to taste - I added about 2 t. seasoning salt.

Serve over steamed rice.

Last edited:

DrQ

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV, Westgate (second cousin, twice removed)
Now that it is getting cool out, we are using our Hot Logic to make hot Steel Cut Oats in the morning.

I put the Hot Logic warmer on a timer to come on at 2:00 am and turn off at 9:00 am.

In each of two round pyrex bowls I put 1/4 cup of Steel Cut Oats and 1 cup of milk and put the top on each bowl.

Before we go to bed, I take the bows out of the refrigerator and put them in the Hot Logic. In the morning, we each have a hot steamy bowl of Steel Cut Oat cereal.

I put frozen berries in the fridge the day before to let them thaw to put in my oats.

When I'm done, I wash my bowl and add the mix and put it back in the fridge to wait until night to do it again.

The Hot Logic only heats to 175 degrees F, so there is little worry about it heating unattended.

It's nice to wake up to a warm breakfast.

controller1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN OF
Westin Nanea OF
Westin FLEX
Made a chicken & sausage gumbo yesterday and had it tonight.

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
In the past week Patti has made a wonderful Bread and Mushroom Savory Pudding to go with my grilled steaks, Lamb Shanks slow cooked in the oven with a gravy served over mashed potatoes, and a steak and potato pie. Every meal had left overs.

planada

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Kauai Beach Club, Marriott Sabal Palms,Marriott Waiohai Beach Club, Cibola Vista Resort, Pueblo Bonito Sunset Beach,Marriott Destination Points,Vidanta Nueva Vallarta Grand Lux
Now that it is getting cool out, we are using our Hot Logic to make hot Steel Cut Oats in the morning.

I put the Hot Logic warmer on a timer to come on at 2:00 am and turn off at 9:00 am.

In each of two round pyrex bowls I put 1/4 cup of Steel Cut Oats and 1 cup of milk and put the top on each bowl.

Before we go to bed, I take the bows out of the refrigerator and put them in the Hot Logic. In the morning, we each have a hot steamy bowl of Steel Cut Oat cereal.

I put frozen berries in the fridge the day before to let them thaw to put in my oats.

When I'm done, I wash my bowl and add the mix and put it back in the fridge to wait until night to do it again.

The Hot Logic only heats to 175 degrees F, so there is little worry about it heating unattended.

It's nice to wake up to a warm breakfast.
I just discovered the Hot Logic, That thing is wonderful! Great for taking hot dips to friend's houses, heating a frozen meal, keeping things warm too. I love the oatmeal idea. I just bought 2 of the mini ones with the glass dish for the kids for a Christmas gift. Love it!

Reactions: DrQ

amycurl

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Tonight, we grilled out homemade turkey burgers (on fresh bakery challah buns!), corn on the cob, and I made a green salad (with lots of cool salad greens from our CSA, and a homemade balsamic dressing that my daughter whipped together) and homemade baked beans in my InstaPot. The baked beans are a new favorite, based loosely on this recipe:

They are not really that spicy. We tend to make them spicier by using a spicier mustard--1 Tbsp (of 3) is Haba Habenero from Raye's--and throwing in one home grown hot pepper, finely diced. :)

Also, if you've never tried Raye's mustard....you've never really had mustard. They use the same stones they've used for 100 years. All that has changed is that the belts are powered by gas, rather than by steam. (It also makes for a fun day trip if you're staying at a timeshare in Maine; just sayin'.) But they also ship. Happy to share our favorites! :)

controller1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN OF
Westin Nanea OF
Westin FLEX
Tonight I seasoned and then placed two Prime NY Strips in a 131.5º sous vide bath for 2 1/2 hours. They were finished in a very hot skillet with Worcestershire sauce and butter one minute on each side. Accompanying the steaks were a Caesar salad, green bean bundles and garlic-sour cream mashed potatoes. Dessert was store-bought strawberry swirl cheesecake.

The meal was paired with a bottle of 2007 Poggio Il Castellare Brunello di Montalcino that I've had in storage since 2014.

chellej

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Tonight I seasoned and then placed two Prime NY Strips in a 131.5º sous vide bath for 2 1/2 hours. They were finished in a very hot skillet with Worcestershire sauce and butter one minute on each side. Accompanying the steaks were a Caesar salad, green bean bundles and garlic-sour cream mashed potatoes. Dessert was store-bought strawberry swirl cheesecake.

The meal was paired with a bottle of 2007 Poggio Il Castellare Brunello di Montalcino that I've had in storage since 2014.

I bought a sous vide but it has been sitting unopened for maybe a year...I just haven't taken the leap. Curious what else you use it for.

controller1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN OF
Westin Nanea OF
Westin FLEX
I bought a sous vide but it has been sitting unopened for maybe a year...I just haven't taken the leap. Curious what else you use it for.

Honestly I haven't been very adventurous with the sous vide. I've only done steaks but they are perfect. I haven't ventured into veggies or other things. Some of the other uses to me just seem to be too novel and actually don't seem to be much better than traditional methods. Now even though I had a prime cut of beef this time I've also marinated skirt steak and placed it in the sous vide for about 24 hours and it was as tender as a prime cut and of course very flavorful.

DrQ

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV, Westgate (second cousin, twice removed)

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
For dinner tonight I made what we refer to as "Quick and Dirty Tuna Casserole." Totally a stovetop thing. It's easy to make, reheats well, and tastes even better the second day. There is no formal recipe - this one is more of a "What's in the cupboard?" kind of thing. This sounds harder to do than it is, but once you figure out the process, it's quick and very easy.

Boil the pasta of your choice, with salt and olive oil in the water. When it's just about El Dente, take it off the burner and drain it. Do not rinse it. Turn down the burner about halfway to a medium heat, put the pot back on the heat, then transfer the drained pasta back into the empty pot. The pasta will continue to cook as you go along. Add a can of Cream of (Whatever) soup. Tonight I used Cream of Celery because that was what was in the cupboard. Add a soup-can of milk. Regularly stir the mixture as it heats up, (to keep the milk from scorching), and season with your choice of whatever you like. I used dehydrated onion, garlic powder, Old Bay, and salt & pepper. When it's warm enough and seems well mixed, stir in a few cups of frozen (or drained canned) green peas (or any other veggie you might want in it - frozen broccoli, green beans, or corn also works well.) When that is heated up, stir in a can of drained tuna. I use a fork to break up the tuna into flakes and smaller chunks as they come out of the can, right into the pot. Stir and keep heating. Once it all looks just about warm enough, a sample tastes right to you, it's "loose" enough to not turn to a brick when the pasta starches cool down, I like to stir in a couple of cups of grated cheddar cheese. Once the cheese is melted and things are well mixed, it's ready to serve.

If you want to make extra, to freeze and reheat for lunches or whatever, you can easily double the pasta, canned soup, and tuna, add extra milk in proportion, add additional veggies to it, or maybe even do a blend of your favorite cheeses. You can make this as fancy as you might want - for example you could throw it in a casserole dish with some extra cheese sprinkles, and bread crumbs or potato chips crumbled on top, and bake it till it's bubbling and lightly browned on top. You can also use canned chicken, if you prefer. And even without any tuna or chicken, it makes a great side dish.

You can't mess this up. It's quick and dirty, remember?

Dave

CO skier

TUG Member
Reaction score
For dinner tonight I made what we refer to as "Quick and Dirty Tuna Casserole."
Sorry, tuna casserole anything is a culinary atrocity. It is cat food (as is any canned seafood), not people food. jmo

Seared peppered tuna tataki over lettuce is lovely.

Tuna sushi is entirely fine.

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Sorry, tuna casserole anything is a culinary atrocity. It is cat food (as is any canned seafood), not people food. jmo

Seared peppered tuna tataki over lettuce is lovely.

Tuna sushi is entirely fine.

Don't tell my Mom. I happen to like canned tuna. We grew up eating such "cat" food... :D

And you probably don't want to know about my chilimac that contains cut up hot dogs... LOL! :D

Dave

Glynda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Bluegreen Points Lodge Alley Inn.
Brewster Green (two weeks).
Don't tell my Mom. I happen to like canned tuna. We grew up eating such "cat" food... :D

And you probably don't want to know about my chilimac that contains cut up hot dogs... LOL! :D

Dave
Me too. Mother made a cold tuna pasta salad. cooked and cooled macaron, chopped celery, can of tuna, mayo and lemon juice..

Quilter

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Did you make your own pickled onions?

Pork Gyros, with tzatziki, cucumbers, pickled red onion and kalamata olives, in whole wheat pita. With salad.

I found a recipe on Cooks Country. It calls for pork butt roast but I made it last week with pork tenderloin and it was so delicious that I made it again this week. :p

View attachment 26773