• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

What are you cooking?

controller1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN OF
Westin Nanea OF
Westin FLEX
My neighbor gave me a redfish on the half shell that he caught yesterday. This is right out of the broiler prior to plating. It was delicious tonight even if I do say so myself.

170DE97C-A8C8-4BCB-A0B6-92F908126434.jpeg

DrQ

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV, Westgate (second cousin, twice removed)
Made German Red Cabbage in the Instant Pot. Could not have been simpler:

2 tablespoons butter​
½ cup sliced onion​
5 cups shredded red cabbage​
1 cup sliced green apples (Granny Smith)​
⅓ cup apple cider vinegar​
3 tablespoons water​
¼ cup white sugar​
2¼ teaspoons kosher salt​
¼ teaspoon black pepper​
¼ teaspoon ground cloves​

Place butter in Instant Pot and sauté onion and apple.
Add cabbage, sugar, vinegar and water.
Season with salt, pepper, and clove.
Bring to a boil and then set to simmer until the cabbage is tender, about 1¼ hours.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I made Joe's scramble for the first time yesterday for lunch. We both enjoyed it so much that we will do it again for lunch today. This afternoon I will be putting New York strip steaks, ribeye steaks and boneless pork chops on the wood pellet grill. The steaks are for tonight and pork chops for tomorrow night. They will be served with roasted garlicky cauliflower tonight and stir-fry spinach with a little bit of garlic tomorrow.

clifffaith

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark
I made a tuna casserole for the first time in 20 years! It was great, but won't make it again until the next pandemic or food shortage. BTW, seemed to be plenty of meat yesterday when we shopped.

amycurl

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
We just made homemade ice cream for the first time in awhile. Yesterday, we took a twenty minute ride out in the country to support a local, family-owned sustainable dairy (that made the news about having to dump milk a few weeks ago, when they lost most of their wholesale restaurant business.) We got fresh heavy cream, a half-gallon of their own homemade ice cream, some cheese, and three individual scoops. (This was all done without having to get out of the car, and everyone was masked and gloved; very low-risk and low-contact.)

Today, we used some of that heavy cream with fresh, ripe local strawberries (that already taste like spring exploding in your mouth,) and dark chocolate chips to make our own strawberry chocolate chip ice cream and OMG IT IS SO GOOD.

So, that's the thing I cooked this weekend. ;)

I've been bartering food the past few weeks: made two batches of homemade strawberry jam that I've bartered for freshly made challah, the jalepeno chicken bean soup mentioned earlier in the thread, and thought I had a line on some rhubarb (because I need rhubarb to make strawberry rhubarb pie, LOL!) I've also been gifting my sourdough starter to friends and neighbors; the starter dates back to the Alaskan gold rush.

Next week: my daughter will try to make bread with *only* the sourdough starter (we've made award-winning bread with it, but always added some yeast,) and we will probably attempt homemade Chinese dumplings. A private-chef friend made them last week, and she said the recipe would be easier with a pasta maker, and we have that, and dumplings are probably A's most favorite food.

I also made Mississippi pot roast last week with mashed potatoes, and gave some to my mother for a later meal. She just called to tell me she had it for dinner and how much she enjoyed it. Food has always been my family's love language, so that praise is especially gratifying, LOL. *sigh* (I haven't hugged my mother in, like, six weeks now and it's starting to show...)

Last edited:

clifffaith

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark
We just made homemade ice cream for the first time in awhile. Yesterday, we took a twenty minute ride out in the country to support a local, family-owned sustainable dairy (that made the news about having to dump milk a few weeks ago, when they lost most of their wholesale restaurant business.) We got fresh heavy cream, a half-gallon of their own homemade ice cream, some cheese, and three individual scoops. (This was all done without having to get out of the car, and everyone was masked and gloved; very low-risk and low-contact.)

Today, we used some of that heavy cream with fresh, ripe local strawberries (that already taste like spring exploding in your mouth,) and dark chocolate chips to make our own strawberry chocolate chip ice cream and OMG IT IS SO GOOD.

I've been bartering food the past few weeks: made two batches of homemade strawberry jam that I've bartered for freshly made challah, the jalepeno chicken bean soup mentioned earlier in the thread, and thought I had a line on some rhubarb (because I need rhubarb to make strawberry rhubarb pie, LOL!) I've also been gifting my sourdough starter to friends and neighbors; the starter dates back to the Alaskan gold rush.

Next week: my daughter will try to make bread with *only* the sourdough starter (we've made award-winning bread with it, but always added some yeast,) and we will probably attempt homemade Chinese dumplings. A private-chef friend made them last week, and she said the recipe would be easier with a pasta maker, and we have that, and dumplings are probably A's most favorite food.

I also made Mississippi pot roast last week with mashed potatoes, and gave some to my mother for a later meal. She just called to tell me she had it for dinner and how much she enjoyed it. Food has always been my family's love language, so that praise is especially gratifying, LOL. *sigh* (I haven't hugged my mother in, like, six weeks now and it's starting to show...)

What makes the pot roast "Mississippi"?

amycurl

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
What makes the pot roast "Mississippi"?
I have no idea. I think I first learned about it here on TUG a few years ago. A little internet digging turns up a few stories...maybe one of the first women who posted the recipe on the web was from Mississippi? It's five ingredients and can take a terrible cut of meat (I used a very cheap eye of round roast from Aldi's, I think) and turn it into a very tasty dish. Five ingredients:
--a 2-4 lb of beef
--one packet of au jus seasoning, or beef/brown gravy packet
--one pack of dry ranch dressing (or homemade version thereof)
--a half-dozen pepperoncini peppers
--about a half-jar (4-6 oz.) of the pepper juice
--about a half stick of butter, cut into chunks
Dump it all in the crock pot. Cook on slow for 6-8 hours. Take out meat. Thicken juices with flour to make a more traditional gravy, if desired, and add back to pot with pulled beef. Serve over rice or potatoes. I tend to add a few carrots and a roughly quartered onion to my recipe.

I'm not usually one to use a lot of pre-packaged ingredients, but this recipe is so simple and so good, it's hard to pass up. I make it about once a year. :)

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
BLUEWATER BY SPINNAKER HHI
ROYAL HOLIDAY CLUB RHC (POINTS)

Hi Amy.
Would you share your recipe for strawberry-rhubarb pie?

Thanks.

Richard

klpca

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
A version of margarita pizza for us tonight. It's made in a cast iron skillet, baked at 500 degrees. I made it easy and used grape tomatoes and marinated mozzarella balls. I have to say it was pretty tasty.

Attachments

• 20200503_195508.jpg
    20200503_195508.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 9

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
Fettuccine Alfredo with Grilled Chicken.
Heat up a jar of alfredo sauce.
Add bacon pieces, peas and chunks of chicken grilled with lemon-pepper seasoning.
Serve over fettuccine. ... Almost too easy.

Glynda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Bluegreen Points Lodge Alley Inn.
Brewster Green (two weeks).
I have no idea. I think I first learned about it here on TUG a few years ago. A little internet digging turns up a few stories...maybe one of the first women who posted the recipe on the web was from Mississippi? It's five ingredients and can take a terrible cut of meat (I used a very cheap eye of round roast from Aldi's, I think) and turn it into a very tasty dish. Five ingredients:
--a 2-4 lb of beef
--one packet of au jus seasoning, or beef/brown gravy packet
--one pack of dry ranch dressing (or homemade version thereof)
--a half-dozen pepperoncini peppers
--about a half-jar (4-6 oz.) of the pepper juice
--about a half stick of butter, cut into chunks
Dump it all in the crock pot. Cook on slow for 6-8 hours. Take out meat. Thicken juices with flour to make a more traditional gravy, if desired, and add back to pot with pulled beef. Serve over rice or potatoes. I tend to add a few carrots and a roughly quartered onion to my recipe.

I'm not usually one to use a lot of pre-packaged ingredients, but this recipe is so simple and so good, it's hard to pass up. I make it about once a year. :)

We love it! I didn't have the au jus seasoning mix for the last two I've made so just sprinkled some granular beef bouillon on top of the roast. Actually liked it better that way.

DrQ

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I took the German Red Cabbage I made the other day (It's red cabbage, you like red cabbage Ralphie), made some Austrian Potato Salad and did a couple of boneless pork chops in the air fryer. :banana:

For tonight: Copycat Cincinnati (Skyline) Chili

Last edited:

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
I took the German Red Cabbage I made the other day (It's red cabbage, you like red cabbage Ralphie), made some Austrian Potato Salad and did a couple of boneless pork chops in the air fryer. :banana:

For tonight: Copycat Cincinnati (Skyline) Chili

Have you ever been to Schmidts at Germantown in Columbus? Mmmmmmm, our nephew lived near there and we went several times, I can taste their sausages with some of that red cabbage and potato salad, yum.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

DrQ

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Have you ever been to Schmidts at Germantown in Columbus? Mmmmmmm, our nephew lived near there and we went several times, I can taste their sausages with some of that red cabbage and potato salad, yum.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
No, we are familiar with Skyline Chili from seeing it on TV. We get our German food fix in New Braunfels TX

Ralph Sir Edward

TUG Member
Reaction score
lazy bachelor omelettes.

Chop up some ham, throw in some eggs, scramble together, throw in some shredded cheese halfway through, slap on a plate when done, and a little chives on top.

Chow down. It may not look like much but it tastes great.

queenofthehive

TUG Member
Reaction score
A version of margarita pizza for us tonight. It's made in a cast iron skillet, baked at 500 degrees. I made it easy and used grape tomatoes and marinated mozzarella balls. I have to say it was pretty tasty.
I made pizza last night using a cast iron skillet for the first time and the crust came out perfect! No soggy crust. It was crispy on the outside and chewy in the middle. It worked so much better than a regular baking pan. Your pizza looks so tasty - all that basil- yum!

amycurl

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi Amy.
Would you share your recipe for strawberry-rhubarb pie?

Thanks.

Richard

I use the one in my Better Homes and Gardens New Cook Book, which is basically this one. I don't bother with the butter on a lattice top (who's got time for that, LOL?!?) Freshly grated ginger can also work instead of the nutmeg. I will also often add a drop or two of vanilla or almond extract into the filling. The key thing is the tapioca is pretty much a must in this pie.

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
BLUEWATER BY SPINNAKER HHI
ROYAL HOLIDAY CLUB RHC (POINTS)
I use the one in my Better Homes and Gardens New Cook Book, which is basically this one. I don't bother with the butter on a lattice top (who's got time for that, LOL?!?) Freshly grated ginger can also work instead of the nutmeg. I will also often add a drop or two of vanilla or almond extract into the filling. The key thing is the tapioca is pretty much a must in this pie.

Hi Amy,

Thank you so much. The recipe looks wonderful. Sorry, I can't skip the butter.

Richard

amycurl

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Here's what we grilled tonight. Everything on this plate (except for the pita) was made from scratch. (The pita was doctored by us, LOL!) As always when we grill, it's based on teamwork between me and my spouse. I prep and do sides; he starts and mans the charcoal grill.
--Grilled chicken in a yogurt-based marinade. Some sauce reserved to use for dipping afterwards
--Homemade tahini dipping sauce
--Homemade garlic hummus
--Homemade fatoush-ish salad: lettuce, cucumber, vidalia onion, fresh mint in a light vinaigrette
--Whole wheat pita, brushed with olive oil and z'aatar from the spice markets in Dubai--grilled
--Asparagus, with olive oil and balsamic glaze--grilled
--Grilled onions to top chicken
--Falafel (actually cooked on the grilled--quite tasty)

NOMNOMNOMS!

Attachments

• MiddleEasternGrillDinner.jpg
    MiddleEasternGrillDinner.jpg
    126.7 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:

Krteczech

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Towers at Mullet Bay, SXM
Silverado II, CO
I just made authentic French onion soup from scratch including beef broth, motivated by watching YouTube Alex. French guy cooking. Not having individual oven proof dishes I had to improvise. Turned out delicious.
2E664149-4821-4208-A3DF-262517F5B889.jpeg

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
Tonight we had an All North American Dinner. I grilled the steaks. Patti made Poutine and Mexican Salad.

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
Shrimp Scampi with corn on the cob and fresh pineapple chunks.

critterchick

TUG Member
Reaction score
A neighbor gave me an Anova sous vide cooker a couple of years ago and I have slowly fallen in love with it. i mostly make chicken in it, but have branched out into seafood and beef. I mostly do simlle things - season the meat cook it at the recommended temperature until it’s done and than finish it of in my late MIL’s vintage cast iron skillet. I love roasted veggies, so it doesn’t work for that.

And for those who see interesting recipes online but don’t remember to print them out, I highly recommend the Paprika app for downloading on the spot - I just did that with the Mongolian beef recipe on the prior page. The downside is that you have to buy a subscription for each device, but it’s convenient enough that I happily do it.

And tonight was salmon with a spicy maple ginger sauce (epicurious.com) with Cole slaw (homemade sugar free dressing) and tortillas.