• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 31 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 31st Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $23,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $23 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Westin takeover of Paradisus Playa Conchal

lorenmd

TUG Member
Reaction score
the airport would be liberia. i have been to this resort and it is huge. we looked at the timeshare units and you're right, there are few of them but that doesn't mean starwood won't change that. it will be nice to have a place in costa rica. I bought a full ownership condo near there and it was halted 3/4 of the way through and has been sitting for two years. I won't see that money, but i love costa rica and would consider buying into a timeshare there.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim) NEW: 2 Lawa'i Beach Resort!
Hi Loren :hi:

Is Costa Rica safe and friendly? (I'm not implying that it isn't - I honestly know nothing about it.)

lorenmd

TUG Member
Reaction score
costa rica is safe and a wonderful place. of course there is petty theft so you have to be careful with stuff in your car and don't leave your handbag on the back of your chair. stuff like that. we had always planned to retire in costa rica. we probably won't but it was a nice dream. we will spend lots of time there. health care is excellent and cheap, homes are very reasonable, the weather is great, they have sam's club, costco, walmart, all that stuff and much cheaper to live.

Pat H

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Brigantine
The timeshare units never show up in RCI. If you want to deposit with RCI, MVC gives them another location.

Monica

TUG Member
Reaction score
Well, I'm screwed! I own w/ Pat and 2 others at the Playa Conchal. It is/was part of Melia vacation club, and if you didn't/couldn't use your membership that year, you could postpone it for 1 year. Well, guess what, I paid my dues on the last day possible in 2010 (due to finances) and said I'd use it in Cancun in 2011. Just tried to talk to Resorts Advantage, and now I can't do that! I have to go to Costa Rica in 2011 AND the 2011 dues have to be paid! The next person that's supposed to go can't pay the 2011 dues, so I'm screwed! (We bought it before the economy fell flat.)

I can't afford to go to CR in 2011! If I could, I would!

Anyone out there want to go in 2011? ;)

Pat H

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Brigantine
I was planning on going to Panama in 2012. Looks like I won't be able to do that either.

GrayFal

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Bluegreen SVV Morritt's Seaside Former WSJx5
I was planning on going to Panama in 2012. Looks like I won't be able to do that either.
So Costa Rico doesn't seem too bad...the pictures are spectacular.
I also own at a Starwood Resort that was owned by another company first and our reservation priorities are still in place....hopefullly the Melia Owners will still have first choice of units/priority reservation booking window before it is opened up to the 'general population' of SVN members.

gordandmichele

TUG Member
Reaction score
Well, I'm screwed! I own w/ Pat and 2 others at the Playa Conchal. It is/was part of Melia vacation club, and if you didn't/couldn't use your membership that year, you could postpone it for 1 year. Well, guess what, I paid my dues on the last day possible in 2010 (due to finances) and said I'd use it in Cancun in 2011. Just tried to talk to Resorts Advantage, and now I can't do that! I have to go to Costa Rica in 2011 AND the 2011 dues have to be paid! The next person that's supposed to go can't pay the 2011 dues, so I'm screwed! (We bought it before the economy fell flat.)

They won't let you book anything at the Playa Conchal currently, so you don't have to worry about the 2011 dues right now. When I called to pay my dues and book 2011 and they wouldn't take the booking, I told them I wasn't going to pay until I could make a booking. They were OK with that.

gordandmichele

TUG Member
Reaction score
From the Starwood website:

"All SPG Member benefits will be available at The Westin Playa Conchal Resort & Spa when they open in May, 2011. The property is currently unable to accept free night award bookings but SPG Members will be able to redeem points to stay at this property in the near future."

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim) NEW: 2 Lawa'i Beach Resort!
From the Starwood website:

"All SPG Member benefits will be available at The Westin Playa Conchal Resort & Spa when they open in May, 2011. The property is currently unable to accept free night award bookings but SPG Members will be able to redeem points to stay at this property in the near future."

SPG is the hotel branch of Starwood, so that doesn't indicate whether it will or will not be part of the SVN (the timeshare branch.) The exchange value of timeshares in the SVN is referred to as "Staroptions."

gordandmichele

TUG Member
Reaction score
The timeshare units never show up in RCI. If you want to deposit with RCI, MVC gives them another location.

Not true. If you tell Resorts Advantage when booking your week that you are going to deposit with RCI, they might do that. Just don't do that. Book the week at the Paradisus, then make the exchange directly with RCI. It works.

pianodinosaur

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC SeaWorld x 2, HGVC Las Vegas Strip x 2, MVC Mountain Valley Lodge, MVC Legend’s Edge

I will be there in 10 days. I have posted a thread about this in the Other International section.

gordandmichele

TUG Member
Reaction score
Good News !!!

They are taking timeshare reservations again for the Paradisus Playa Conchal. I don't think you can book 2012, but you can book through 2011. Great news for us.

Monica

TUG Member
Reaction score
That isn't what they told me

They won't let you book anything at the Playa Conchal currently, so you don't have to worry about the 2011 dues right now. When I called to pay my dues and book 2011 and they wouldn't take the booking, I told them I wasn't going to pay until I could make a booking. They were OK with that.

To be able to use my 2010 week, I HAVE to pay 2011. They'll take it in 3 pymts, but the 2011 dues need to be paid mid-April (or by 4/30/11 by the way it sounds). They will NOT let me book anything using by 2010 holdover before I pay the 2011 maintenance fees. I'm stuck. I know what they're doing. I also made a reservation for late October (using my 2010 wk) at the resort, since I can only use the wk at that resort now. BUT, if I want to put the 2010 week in RCI, I can do that, too, AFTER I pay my 2011 dues. Once again, I'm stuck! I really can't afford to go, so I guess I'll pay the dues for 2011, and bank both weeks.

Any suggestions from others familiar with Playa Conchal/Resorts Advantage?

Last edited:

gordandmichele

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just back from the Paradisus

OK, here's the extent of what the management at the Paradisus knows about the Westin takeover and what is happening to the timeshare owners - not much. They really have no details at all.

They did confirm that the resort itself is getting a makeover, and they have seen a model of the new rooms, which they say are very nice.

Their current reservation system doesn't even allow them to see the reservations that have been made after May 1. I know because I asked them to check one that I have for December. It didn't appear, so I asked if they could see any resos. after May 1, and they can't.

On the timeshare front, the availability is even worse than I first thought. Originally, 6 complete buildings (48 studios or 24 studios plus 12 one-bedrooms - the one-bedrooms can be split into 2 studios) were designed for timeshare usage. The resort is now limiting us to one (1) building only per week. So that's 8 studios or 4 studios and 2 one-bedrooms per week. It's not surprising that owners are having trouble getting reservations.

On top of that, during the week I was there, only 4 of the 8 rooms were occupied by actual owners. The others were there either on internal exchanges within Sol Melia Vacation Club or were just hotel guests.

It's interesting that SMVC members get to do this, because we owners (who belong to the MVC, not the SMVC) don't get to exchange into the SMVC resorts. It seems to be a one-way thing only, to our detriment. On top of that, one of the SMVC guests that I talked to got the all-inclusive for free!!

Prior rumours about the all-inclusive plan and rates are untrue. It's $85 / day / pp throughout the year. It's actually a pretty good deal, compared to many other resorts.

Unless, surprisingly, you order room service. Breakfast will run you about 10 pp, lunch is 8-12 pp and dinner about 15-22. Compare that to paying $32 for the lunch buffet !! Yes, that's what it costs - and $24 for the breakfast buffet. We usually either eat at local restaurants or prepare our own food, but room service is a pleasantly surprising inexpensive option.

gordandmichele

TUG Member
Reaction score
We have finally received the official word on this

All MVC members today received an email clarifying what will be happening with their timeshares now that Westin and Starwood have taken over the resort.

The short answer is that nothing changes other than we cannot make internal trades into the other Paradisus resorts that we used to have access to.

The timeshares were completely left out of the agreement with Westin and Starwood. We will not be joining the SVC, but will now be called the Reserva Conchal Vacation Club and will be operated by Reserva Conchal.

All previous agreements and obligations remain in force. This is likely good news for us, as we don't have to worry about competing with SVC members for space. Here's the official release:

I am very pleased to inform you that Desarrollos Hoteleros Guanacaste S.A. , company that owns the hotel formerly known as Hotel Paradisus Playa Conchal, operated by Sol Melia, has negotiated a new operating agreement with WESTIN HOTEL MANAGEMENT, L.P., and since last May 1st the Hotel opened its doors as Westin Resort & Spa, Playa Conchal.
Rest assured that this change will not affect our obligations and all the commitments with our clients and suppliers.

The Paradisus Playa Conchal Vacation Club was renamed as Reserva Conchal Vacation Club. It is important to clarify that the Club will no longer be associated with Sol Melia and although the units are within the premises of the Resort, the Club is not affiliated with, managed, owned, developed, endorsed or sold by Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide, Inc., Westin Hotel Management, LP, Starwood Vacation Ownership, the Starwood Vacation Network or their affiliates; The Club will be working in the same conditions through Resort Advantage for reservations, payments, customer service and RCI exchanges.