• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 31 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 31st Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $23,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $23 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Westin takeover of Paradisus Playa Conchal

gordandmichele

TUG Member
Reaction score
Apparently, Westin is taking over ownership of the Paradisus Playa Cochal in Costa Rica as of May 2011. We timeshare owners currently belong to RCI and book through Resorts Advantage in Florida. We are members of the Melia Vacation Club and all own floating weeks.

I just called today and was told by Resorts Advantage that they were told by the resort to stop taking bookings for timeshare weeks until further notice. They have no further information.

I called Westin and Starwood, but neither has any information, either.

What normally happens in this sort of situation? Would we get converted over to Starwood? What about our contracts and rights? Would we stay with MVC?

Any information would help, as currently we have none.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
http://lenteckhartproperties.com/co...and-resorts-to-manage-paradisus-playa-conchal

http://www.hotelnewsresource.com/article49579.html

I think what is important here is whether this will be part of SVO or not. Looks like a nice resort - and would like to see it as part of SVO (if they are fully-contained), but just because Starwood/Westin (HOT) is taking it over - does not mean it will become part of SVO. It does not look as if these are self-contained villa (no kitchen) that would likely be needed for SVO - therefore, more likely going to be part of SPG system.

"Each luxuriously appointed suite has a private terrace or balcony, marble floors, luxurious décor, deluxe bathrooms, a separate living area with comfortable seating, plasma TVs, air conditioning, cable television, daily stocked minibar and 24-hour room service."

It is great that there will be a presence in Costa Rica. (IMO)
If they can't expand by building more (too costly) - good to see them rebrand nice resorts (IMO).

Last edited:

gordandmichele

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think it's what might be called a partial kitchen. The timeshare units are not the same as the regular resort units. The only difference is the kitchen, which makes them a little larger. They have:
  • Sink
  • Refrigerator
  • Microwave
  • Coffee Maker
  • Blender
  • Plates, cups, utensils, etc
  • Round table for 4
Basically everything in a regular kitchen except for a range and oven.

That's what they call a studio, but it's huge. A 1 bedroom is 2 studios joined together, but with only 1 kitchen.

RnU

TUG Member
Reaction score
My husband and I were at a sales presentation at WKORV this past December and the sales rep said that there would soon be a resort in Costa Rica added to the SVO network. Maybe this is what he was talking about?

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
Maybe they will make it a combined resort like Westin St John (part will be Hotel and part will be Timeshares)? It will need a kitchen (rangetop, convection oven, refrigerator) and washer/dryer to be part of SVO. (IMO)

Notice that the article makes no mention of SVO properties - only Westin hotels/resorts - and associated Starwood hotels.

in 2nd article - mention of more hotel/resort locations in Latin America (isn't Cancun Latin America? lol) - the article make it seem like this is more tied to SPG than SVO.

“We are delighted to once again establish a presence in Costa Rica with next year’s opening of The Westin Playa Conchal Resort & Spa, one of four new Westin properties slated to open in Latin America by the end of 2011. The Westin brand is at a pivotal point in its life cycle with an unprecedented opportunity for global growth and well on its way to establishing itself as an international market leader,” said Simon Turner, President of Global Development for Starwood.

Last edited:

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
My husband and I were at a sales presentation at WKORV this past December and the sales rep said that there would soon be a resort in Costa Rica added to the SVO network. Maybe this is what he was talking about?

maybe - but remember... Timeshare salesperson lips are moving = misinformation is most likely coming out.
(or maybe we are just hearing it wrong... lol)

gordandmichele

TUG Member
Reaction score
How does SVO work? Guaranteed weeks? Points? Something else?

As I stated, we all have floating weeks and can book any week in the year except Xmas, New Year's and Easter. Some folks can book those weeks, but not many paid the extra $$ to upgrade.

RnU

TUG Member
Reaction score
maybe - but remember... Timeshare salesperson lips are moving = misinformation is most likely coming out.
(or maybe we are just hearing it wrong... lol)

all of the above are definitely possible :D

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim) NEW: 2 Lawa'i Beach Resort!
How does SVO work? Guaranteed weeks? Points? Something else?

As I stated, we all have floating weeks and can book any week in the year except Xmas, New Year's and Easter. Some folks can book those weeks, but not many paid the extra $$ to upgrade.

IF this week is in the Starwood Vacation Network, it will fall under the network rules. See the FAQ at the top of the forum for a good Into. to how Starwood works. Note that Starwood manages TS's that are NOT in the SVN, as well.

gordandmichele

TUG Member
Reaction score
What I'm really trying to find out is what normally happens when a resort with existing timeshare owners is taken over by a new company.

We all have contracts that give us specific rights to the property.

Does the new company usually just continue the old agreement, or do they just toss you out and force you to sue them? Or something in between?

Surely it must have happened many times in the past.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim) NEW: 2 Lawa'i Beach Resort!
What I'm really trying to find out is what normally happens when a resort with existing timeshare owners is taken over by a new company.

We all have contracts that give us specific rights to the property.

Does the new company usually just continue the old agreement, or do they just toss you out and force you to sue them? Or something in between?

Surely it must have happened many times in the past.

Starwood has several resorts in the SVN that they bought from other companies - the original deeds and covenents were honored, but the Starwood system was brought in as well. In some cases the original owners could buy into the Starwood Network for a fee.

It all depends on whether Starwood is just taking over management, or if they are going to bring the resort into the Starwood Vacation Network. The Board of Directors should be able to answer that question.

Last edited:

gordandmichele

TUG Member
Reaction score
It all depends on whether Starwood is just taking over management, or if they are going to bring the resort into the Starwood Vacation Network. The Board of Directors should be able to answer that question.

Thanks for the info. Unfortunately, there is no Board of Directors. Just a bunch of people that own floating weeks at a resort where no one there has any idea how the timeshare system works. It's handled completely by Resorts Advantage, a 3rd party. R.A. takes the requests from us, and tells the resort what has been booked. The resort is not allowed to use the units that are timeshare units for regular guests (although it has been known to happen - when it does we get upgraded to private condos). Strangely, the system seems to work.

Pat H

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Brigantine
I own at this resort thru Melia Vacation Club. There are only 11 or 15 (can't remember which) timeshare units in the resort which is very large. It's an optional AI for the timeshares but I don't know if it is optional for non-timeshares. I have always booked thru MVC. I've never heard of Resorts Advantage.

Ken555

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
A friend owns a Melia resort and raves about Paradisus Playa Conchal. In fact, we tried to get a couple or three units during the same week last year and failed, so a group of us could go. If this resorts joins SVN, I hope they intend to build more units, as it seemed to me that they couldn't handle the demand already - without the added pressure of the rest of the SVN owners.

On the other hand, the majority of the resort is a hotel, and that's got great reviews as well.

Also, please note:

Marking a milestone in Starwood’s history, The Westin Playa Conchal Resort & Spa will also be the first all-inclusive resort in Starwood’s global portfolio.

nalismom

TUG Member
Reaction score
Different company but we own at the Renaissance Aruba which was the Sonesta Suites when we bought it and was something else before that.

There are 250 units in our resort however only about half were owned as timeshares. The owners that developed the resort and maintain it signed a management contract with Marriott several years ago and things changed for some owners at that time in that a decision was made to make the 2nd and 4th floor units available as hotel units and so the partial kitchens were taken out of those units. Well...those owners were rightfully upset and they were offered other units on the 1st, 3rd and 5th floors - albeit not all if any had the views their original units had. People were not happy, some moved their units , others didn't, some sold. Some people are still not very happy. Marriott however has done a good job revitalizing our resort and keeping it to their standards as a Renaissanceas well as marketing the hotel rooms.

From reading the article I only see that Starwood would be managing it. I don't understand why they wouldn't take TS reservations.

Also as an owner at the Ren we do NOT belong to the MVC or have their point system assigned to our units..we are still considered seperately owned.

nalismom

TUG Member
Reaction score
PatH....I was not referring to Melia Vacation Club...I was simply offering my experience with a TS that was taken over to be managed by another big hotel chain - Marriott/and or Marriott Vacation Club -and its effects for the owners.

Sorry I didn't mean to confuse anyone

gordandmichele

TUG Member
Reaction score
I own at this resort thru Melia Vacation Club. There are only 11 or 15 (can't remember which) timeshare units in the resort which is very large. It's an optional AI for the timeshares but I don't know if it is optional for non-timeshares. I have always booked thru MVC. I've never heard of Resorts Advantage.

Pat, do you have a contact number for MVC? I have 2 units (a studio and a 1 bedroom) and have owned since the beginning. We have always dealt through Resorts Advantage. If you call the resort or even the Sol Melia Vacation Club, they will send you to R.A. I'd love to contact MVC to see what they know about what's happening. I can't find them anywhere on the 'net. Thanks.

gordandmichele

TUG Member
Reaction score

I think there are 14 units (2 buildings containing 6 studios and 1 1-bedroom each). AI is optional for timeshare owners, but I'm pretty sure it's mandatory if you trade in. The regular resort is mandatory AI. Until recently, owners had to take the whole week if they wanted the AI, but now you can take it by the day. And, they have just split out the alcohol from the food, so if you're not a drinker (or just a big drinker), you can buy the AI food only or AI booze only package.

I'm going down on February 12, so I should be able to get some more info. then.

Pat H

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Brigantine
I think there are 14 units (2 buildings containing 6 studios and 1 1-bedroom each). AI is optional for timeshare owners, but I'm pretty sure it's mandatory if you trade in. The regular resort is mandatory AI. Until recently, owners had to take the whole week if they wanted the AI, but now you can take it by the day. And, they have just split out the alcohol from the food, so if you're not a drinker (or just a big drinker), you can buy the AI food only or AI booze only package.

I'm going down on February 12, so I should be able to get some more info. then.

Phone # is 888-996-3542.

I just talked to MVC last week because I wanted info on the AI fees at a few resorts. The rep did say something about not taking reservations for Costa Rica until Aug but since I'm not planning on going until fall 2012, it didn't mean anything to me.

When I was there in 2004 you didn't have to take the full week but once you started, you had to take the rest of your stay.

gordandmichele

TUG Member
Reaction score
Phone # is 888-996-3542.

I just talked to MVC last week because I wanted info on the AI fees at a few resorts. The rep did say something about not taking reservations for Costa Rica until Aug but since I'm not planning on going until fall 2012, it didn't mean anything to me.

When I was there in 2004 you didn't have to take the full week but once you started, you had to take the rest of your stay.

This is interesting. When I called this number, they answer "Melia Vacation Club", but - guess what? It's actually Resorts Advantage. It's just a number that is dedicated to MVC members only. I always went through the regular switchboard. Who knew?

gordandmichele

TUG Member
Reaction score
Here's the latest:

I got a call back from Starwood to a web inquiry that I sent them. I thought they would just blow it off, but they were quite helpful.

Most of what is happening is still confidential, as the details have not yet been ironed out. I gained the following info. mostly by inference:
  • Starwood will be taking over the timeshare portion of the resort as well as the resort itself. If you look on spg.com, you will see the resort there.
  • We will likely be rolled into SVO somehow.
  • All affected owners will be contacted by Starwood before May 1, when they assume ownership.

I won't say that I'm completely at ease yet, but I'm feeling better than I was. The Starwood person was quite open with me, and answered what he could without breaking confidentiality.

Pat H

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Brigantine
Here's the latest:

I got a call back from Starwood to a web inquiry that I sent them. I thought they would just blow it off, but they were quite helpful.

Most of what is happening is still confidential, as the details have not yet been ironed out. I gained the following info. mostly by inference:
  • Starwood will be taking over the timeshare portion of the resort as well as the resort itself. If you look on spg.com, you will see the resort there.
  • We will likely be rolled into SVO somehow.
  • All affected owners will be contacted by Starwood before May 1, when they assume ownership.

I won't say that I'm completely at ease yet, but I'm feeling better than I was. The Starwood person was quite open with me, and answered what he could without breaking confidentiality.

Oh no, I'd rather be part of MVC than SPG.

LisaRex

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Used to own: WKORV-N; SVV - Bella
A Costa Rican resort would be awesome. But I'm not holding my breath.

jarta

TUG Member
Reaction score
12 studios and 2 1-br units in the timeshare section? Don't count on much availability for 14 small units.

2,600 acres. 32 miles from the San Jose airport. A tempting acquisition for the size of the property alone.

Recently, however, the hotel's been going downhill. It will need cleaning and sprucing up.

IMO, this property will be inventoried for possible further expansion if/when the economy comes back. ... eom