• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Westin St. John Sunset Bay phase

RichW

Reaction score
Hi, Looking to buy either a Coral Vista or Sunset Bay studio diamond season.. I've seen CV studio at the presentation last year..but now that SB is becoming available I would like to know what the studio layout looks like, I heard its a smaller unit does anyone have a picture of the layout or floor plan?? I called the Florida sales office and they did not have anything available at this time.

LisaRex

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Used to own: WKORV-N; SVV - Bella
I haven't seen anything at all, including an announcement, of this new phase. It would be really odd if they started converting them right away as they just spent a bunch of money on a "refresh" of those 96 hotel rooms. In any event, here is a layout of the 481 sq. feet Coral Vista studio. (Scroll right until you see the Coral Vista phase).

https://www.starwoodvacationnetwork.com/villa-collection/the-westin-st-john-resort-villas/villas#

I can't imagine the new phase can be much smaller and still be called a studio (e.g. with a kitchenette). Acc to the WestinStJohn.com website, the hotel rooms are 370-440 sq feet. For comparison purposes, Coral Bay studios are 481 sq feet and Virgin Grande are 500 sq. ft. It does appear from looking at the resort map that buildings 10-16 are not as long as the Coral Bay phase, but they are wider. So it all depends on how many units they try to fit into that space.

The upside of the last phase is that the upper rooms should enjoy a nice view and are very close to the pool and restaurants, if that is important to you. And the even buildings are pretty close to the parking lot.

Speaking of that, they really need to expand that parking lot!

http://www.westinresortstjohn.com/site-map

okwiater

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV 2B Plat+ (x2)
WSJ 3B Plat+ (VGV/BV)
WLR 2B Plat+ Oceanside
SMV 2B Plat+
Sheraton Flex (x2)
Word has it that the 2 bay-front buildings (buildings 10 & 16) will be largely sold as fixed weeks. Very interesting...

GrayFal

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Bluegreen SVV Morritt's Seaside Former WSJx5
Word has it that the 2 bay-front buildings (buildings 10 & 16) will be largely sold as fixed weeks. Very interesting...

Not surprising as the competition for that location will be fierce.

You can't complain about location if you are buying the actual unit.

Last edited:

Carolyn

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin St John
WJL St Lucia
St James Club Antigua
Charter Club Marco
Sheraton Desert Oasis
site-map

So, next and last phase would convert buildings 10 through 16.

When we were there 2 years ago (in November), these oceanfront hotel rooms were being renovated. The entire area was fenced off. It was loud and not a pretty picture. We avoided the Westin beach area for this very reason (although we didn't go to that beach very often). And now we will have to deal with even more construction???

tlpnet

TUG Member
Reaction score
I've been here since the 23rd and toured the Sunset Bay model last Wednesday. The layout is very similar to Coral Vista (as expected). For some reason I can't pinpoint, I prefer Sunset Bay villas over the Coral Vista villas - honestly it may be mostly the decor. Both kitchens are still kitchenettes in my opinion, but I prefer the kitchenettes in Sunset Bay. I wasn't interested in purchasing, but I could have sworn they quoted me $67k for 2br in high season, and the maintenance fees were in the low $3,000's. That conflicts with the $72k being reported here, but they did mention owner pricing so don't know if that is the difference or if my memory is just bad. They started selling the week before I toured, and told me that SB is currently only being sold here. My recollection is that they said they are fixing 20% (not 25%), but who knows the truth. Additionally I was not told buildings 10 and 16 will be largely sold as fixed. My recollection is that these are the two buildings being sold first. Sorry I'm not better at the details, but since I was not planning to buy...

-tim

dsmrp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Vistana, Waikoloa Bay Club, Hyatt Pinon Pt
Probably the sales people don't have it straight yet either... not all their fault, initial decisions could be revised.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
Anyone want to bet that occupancy of SB won't happen in Jan 2017?

NNerland

TUG Member
Reaction score
Anyone want to bet that occupancy of SB won't happen in Jan 2017?

I have talked to a person involved with sales - occupancy is GUARANTEED for January 2017. They are starting with 3 buildings....but they were going to do just Coral Vista and stand pat for awhile but sold so quickly they needed more inventory. Not sure about the fixed weeks people have talked about.

Look will be very similar to Coral Vista with a few minor improvements (those details I don't have)

It is inside only construction - so my guess is removal of walls to make units so construction should be much more limited. This is because they already refurbished the outsides.

Will be a really nice option by the pool if you have kids/families. I won't be buying as the cost is way more than I am willing - however, would maybe consider changing from Coral if price made sense...but would only be 2 bedroom and I need 3.

Will just have to maybe hope for 8 month reservation.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
So you are putting over/under at Jan'17...?
I am going with Mar'17
I was going with May'17 - but since Sales GUARANTEE'd - going to go with March ;)

I hope they improve the kitchenette over CV - plus get better light into the villas.
For us... Parking outside the villa is a must - so will have to suffer on the Hill... :D

3Bd? isn't that a 2Bd and studio together? At 3Bd, I would perferthe pool villa resale - especially with the huge SO jump for Plat and Plat+ (some of the lowest MF/SO in SVO now), and parking out front...

Last edited:

NNerland

TUG Member
Reaction score
So you are putting over/under at Jan'17...?
I am going with Mar'17
I was going with May'17 - but since Sales GUARANTEE'd - going to go with March ;)

:shrug:

I hope they improve the kitchenette over CV - plus get better light into the villas.
For us... Parking outside the villa is a must - so will have to suffer on the Hill... :D

I am guessing pretty similar given the space they have to work with is the same as the Coral Vista.

3Bd? isn't that a 2Bd and studio together? At 3Bd, I would perferthe pool villa resale - especially with the huge SO jump for Plat and Plat+ (some of the lowest MF/SO in SVO now), and parking out front...

True - however we prefer to be by the action, only rent a car for a bit and like more areas for kids to swim vs. solo pool. I would feel too far removed from action on the Hill - even though Bay Vista isn't that close. Just our preference - opinion.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
I was kidding about the over/under...

Great thing about WSJ is that it now has lots of variation in vacation and ownership.

We barely get to the resort, and not because it is more effort to get there from the hillside.
For us, the vehicle access is important - also being just 25 steps away from pool/BBQ. This is unique to the 4 lower inside 2Bd TH villas for B32-33 and B33-34. Plus there is a great view from the villa and pool patio. Also, having a full kitchen and a balcony that is more private. I do like the interior design of the other phases - VGV villas are too angular. IMO

OKPACIFIC

TUG Member
Reaction score
maintenance fee composition

Has anyone heard how the maintenance fee will be calculated for the Sunset Bay Villas? at Coral Vista you bought certain contract level of options and there was a fixed maintenance fee component buried within each contract. So The smaller the contract of options the higher the maintenance fee per option. Are the Sunset Bay Villas set up in this manner or is it simply a flat maintenance fee per options purchased with the only difference being whether you are in diamond or resort season?

okwiater

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV 2B Plat+ (x2)
WSJ 3B Plat+ (VGV/BV)
WLR 2B Plat+ Oceanside
SMV 2B Plat+
Sheraton Flex (x2)
Here is a model unit photo of the new Sunset Bay villas:

svo1187gr-181096-Kitchen-and-Living-Room-Area.jpg

Helios

TUG Member
Reaction score
I was kidding about the over/under...

Great thing about WSJ is that it now has lots of variation in vacation and ownership.

We barely get to the resort, and not because it is more effort to get there from the hillside.
For us, the vehicle access is important - also being just 25 steps away from pool/BBQ. This is unique to the 4 lower inside 2Bd TH villas for B32-33 and B33-34. Plus there is a great view from the villa and pool patio. Also, having a full kitchen and a balcony that is more private. I do like the interior design of the other phases - VGV villas are too angular. IMO

I agree with Davib. IMO, I rather stay at my pool villa with the privacy and benefits that comes with it. I rarely go to the main pool or beach, I can easily walk or take the iguana shuttle.

Having a private pool, hot tub, and grill anytime I want to use them is very nice. The extra space and parking just outside is a big perk.

LisaRex

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Like Nnerland, I prefer being a part of the main campus. I mean, that IMO is the beauty of these hotel branded timeshares, and why I think they're worth the extra $$ vs just renting a private villa on VRBO. You get the extra space of a private condo, along with the conveniences of a hotel, such as valet parking, gorgeous pools, and onsite restaurants/bars/markets/workout rooms. I can't imagine staying at WSJ and not enjoying the main pool (along with the poolside waiter) or the hot tub. Half of the fun is chatting it up with people you meet at the bar or hot tub.

I've done my share of traveling and often rent homes/condos via VRBO. And while I've stayed in some gorgeous homes, it comes at a price because I do find myself missing the perks of a resort. There's something uniquely special about having a MaiTai delivered to your lounge chair.

I'm actually looking out a few years to when the CV and SV phases start becoming available on the resale market. I wonder how their value will hold up because if their values fall significantly like other voluntary properties, I could see myself being enticed to buy an EOY.

(That being said, on the model pictured above, the main pool is too close, even for me!)

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
that is one large photo...

wake-up - open shades - "HELLO!"

LR - we are the certain opposite in our vacation desires (not that one is better than other - just different). We have been in the main pool maybe twice in the last 5 years (and rarely even down by main pool), but spent many hours in the one next to our building - often just us. And sometimes we get a party going - often with the neighbors we see every year (another benefit of fixed weeks). Plus, just 25 steps from our villa... plus BBQs, lounge chairs, tables/umbrellas, and beautiful view.
...but that is us

Crasherino

Reaction score
Interesting comment about the need for more parking. I've noticed its gotten progressively harder to park over the last 10 years. I'm guessing if you have a timeshare, you're more apt to rent a car as opposed to if you just have a hotel room. On the flipside, though, there are probably more unique guests with the hotel structure as opposed to the TS. Either way, I wonder if more parking is in the cards. I'm sure its a lot of red tape to clear land for more parking.

I've gone back and forth between whether I prefer BV or VGV over the years (ended up buying BV EOY as that's what became available) but I'm not sure if I'd want to be on top of the pool in the manner of that picture. Seems a little too close for comfort.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
Can't imagine where they would put more parking - already using flat area behind conference center. Get rid of OConnor?
Parking steps from our villa - is a big plus (for us)
tbh - I probably would not enjoy WSJ (and therefore STJ) as much w/o easy access to parking.

okwiater

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV 2B Plat+ (x2)
WSJ 3B Plat+ (VGV/BV)
WLR 2B Plat+ Oceanside
SMV 2B Plat+
Sheraton Flex (x2)
The décor in those units is really gorgeous. The kitchens are too small and the units themselves are too close to the pool for my liking, but I don't think they'll have much trouble selling these. Especially the oceanfront ones.

LisaRex

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sunset Bay appears on StarwoodVacationNetwork.com but disappointingly little information.
https://www.starwoodvacationnetwork.com/announcing-new-sunset-bay-villas

"Beginning January of 2016, the first phase of transforming the beach and poolside buildings from hotel rooms into Sunset Bay Villas (studio and two bedroom) will begin. The first 26 of 54 villas are scheduled for completion mid-December, 2016. The conversion is scheduled to be a two-phase process, with the second phase planned for 2017."

Last edited:

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
no mention of them being deathtraps? :D:roll eyes:
sorry, couldn't help myself...

SMHarman

TUG Member
Reaction score
no mention of them being deathtraps? :D:roll eyes:
sorry, couldn't help myself...
David. There are very few rooms that tick the 'deathtrap' box. I'm only aware of 9 units that fall into this definition.

2112 2114 2116 2212 2214 2216 2312 2314 2316

The rest have windows and everything. That being the 2122 etc. The are fancy! Windows.

Last edited: