• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Westin St. John [Master Thread]

Status
Not open for further replies.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
Sorry to hear, but glad you made the most of it. Please relay your experience as soon as you get time to the contact info posted above - and anyone else that will listen... keep us up-to-date.
(what villa #? hopefully not ours)

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
P.S. We took pictures of everything and plan to forward with any e-mails we send.

Hi Melissa - Welcome to the Starwood Forum and to the BEST board and NICEST group of owners on TUG! :hi:

If you would be willing to send me the pictures, I can host them on my webpage where other people can see them. I think that having everyone contribute pictures so we can develop a visible "evidence file," would be an important step to take to document the problems.

Anyone with pictures
- you can't send them through the TUG email, but click on my name and send me a pm and I will send you my direct email address so you can send me your pictures of problems at WSJ. Having those pictures online, and available to everyone, should be a powerful motivator for Starwood! :D

Last edited:

Loriannf

TUG Member
Reaction score
WSJ Maintenance and new Replacement Reserve FEE

Just got my notice of the BOD meeting to be held in February. The reverse has the proposed budget and operating expenses for 2008. Maintenance fees are as follows:

Terrace Suite $ 808.21
Townhouse Suite 1,077.65
Two Bed Townhouse 1,347.10
Two Bed Premium 1,616.42
Three Bed Pool Villa 1,616.54
Three Bed Premium 1,616.54

IN ADDITION, there's a new Replacement Reserve Fee which is as follows:

Terrace Suite $ 104.44
Townhouse Suite 139.26
Two Bed Townhouse 174.08
Two Bed Premium 208.88
Three Bed Pool Villa 208.90
Three Bed Premium 208.90

No explanation, but at least I hope this means they're going to refurb.

Lori

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
Hello WSJ Owners - as you have hopefully received a Notice of BOD meeting of WSJ (Virgin Grand Villas - St John Condo Owners Assoc.)

Of interest -

The meeting is Feb 25th - and part of the New Business agenda is:
The Approval of 2008 Operating and Replacement Reserve Budget - common except the Operating Expenses Budget is very late. which leads to...

Revision of Due Dates for 2008 Dues and Taxes - meaning our MFs that are due for 2008 aren't going to be due until March! (great way to run a business...)

next...

Allocation of Reserve Funds per Category - I believe this is for reserves being used to refurbish the units. In looking at the back of the notice (Operating Expenses Budget), there is a listing for Replacement Reserve Fee that is part of the Total MF (and Reserves) and is the same amount that is included in the 'Other Expenses' - meaning this is an added Replacement Reserve Fee.

This means that there is a MF increase of 15% for 2008.

If they truly use these fees for unit refurbishing - I am all for it (our villa was showing tremendous wear/tear).

However, this really shows in many ways that WSJ Management and HOA Board members need to take action and start bringing this resort up to the class that Owners expect (along with all visitors). e.g. lateness on required budgets/docs, and not keeping WSJ in good shape with the MFs paid already. If not, SVO Managment needs to step in and make changes to Management, and we need to attempt to take control of the HOA Board and get concerned Owners involved.

You will notice that the Developer (aka SVO) gives a subsidy of about 25% of the total revenue, and makes no obligation to do so in the future (footnote 3). I am not sure what the conditions of this subsidy are (nor would I like to see it stopped), but I would be interested where/why this money comes into WSJ from SVO. Is it for the hotel part, etc?

Last edited:

ksqdomer

Reaction score
Posted in the other thread as well as here. We have a studio in Bldg 33 week 25. We were told last June that our furniture would be replaced before returning but no bathroom or kitchen upgrades. We have owned since 2002. Our unit has generally been in good shape with a few cracked bath tiles and a one time leaky refrig that was fixed quickly. The pool and grills do seem to be showing quite a bit of wear though. Count me in to participate.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
Posted in the other thread as well as here. We have a studio in Bldg 33 week 25. We were told last June that our furniture would be replaced before returning but no bathroom or kitchen upgrades. We have owned since 2002. Our unit has generally been in good shape with a few cracked bath tiles and a one time leaky refrig that was fixed quickly. The pool and grills do seem to be showing quite a bit of wear though. Count me in to participate.

This is the correct forum. Please read above post(s) for what may (or not) be happening with the supposed refurbish an the replacement reserve fee being charged.

As has been suggested is to contact the HOA Board members and asked them pointedly what are their plans/timelines (our issue has been going on for almost 2 years) - and how is this being refected in the buget (MFs). Now that we have the budget - I will be writing to ask specifics (I actually was able to figure it out somewhat).

Next, regarding the overal operations - write to SVO/WSJ and request action and accountability for the resort.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Archives: Renting, Requalifying, Harborside Action Plan

bump...bump...

Hey David - this thread was on page 3. Do you want to keep it active? I have been thinking about creating an archive in the stickies for a few threads, like this one, Renting, and Requalifying.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
bump...bump...

Hey David - this thread was on page 3. Do you want to keep it active? I have been thinking about creating an archive in the stickies for a few threads, like this one, Renting, and Requalifying.

Thanks for bumping up. While a few WSJ Owners have come here - no one has reported on feedback from WSJ/SVO. I am still waiting for HOA response - beyond the standard SVO reply.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Frank - I couldn't find anything. Can you summarize what he said or tell me specifically where it's posted? Thanks!

islandguy

Reaction score
The article was a very generic one that was in all the resorts newsletter and not specific about STJ. Doesn't help for the questions raised by the owners of STJ. Go to the newsletter on the SPG timeshare site. This article is the same in each of the resort newsletters - so it doesn't matter which location you own -- you will see the same item.

Here is some of the article:

In this question and answer session, Walter DeCastro, an Owner and a member of the Board of Directors at The Westin St. John Resort & Villas, explains how replacement reserves are used to keep your Home Resort looking fresh and new year after year by funding replacements as well as exciting resort refurbishments.

Q: What is a replacement reserves fund?
A: A replacement reserves fund is a special fund that helps pay for the replacement of resort items when they wear out. A replacement reserves fund is a lot like a savings account, in that money is added as annual maintenance fees are collected and left to accumulate interest over time until the funds are withdrawn and used to refurbish an item or facility. The act of investing the reserves helps Associations accrue the funds that will one day be necessary to replace certain items in a timely manner.

Q: What kinds of things do the replacement reserves help pay for?
A: In addition to paying for the replacement of furniture, fixtures and equipment in your villa, replacement reserves help pay for resort essentials like roofs, roads, parking lots and resort exteriors. They can also be used to finance deferred maintenance, such as the resurfacing of a pool or spa.

Q: How are replacement reserves funded?
A: Replacement reserves are funded by Owners like you and me. The cost of replenishing the replacement reserves is included in your annual maintenance fees.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thanks - I thought it was going to be something specific about WSJ.

And welcome to TUG! :hi:

Are you a Starwood owner?

Transit

TUG Member
Reaction score
Board Member Profile

Starwood responds to everything genericly,The Newsletter apperance makes it seem as somethings being done.

Name: Walter DeCastro
Position: Vice President and Director of Virgin Grand Villas
Association: The Westin St. John Condominium Owners Association
Resort: The Westin St. John Resort & Villas

Biography: In addition to serving on the Board of Directors, Walter is Chief Executive Officer of Diversified Executive Systems, Inc., a company that provides professional staffing for large utility corporations like Bell South, AT&T and Verizon Wireless. When he's not working, Walter enjoys vacationing in popular destinations like St. John, Hawai‘i, Central America, South America and the Caribbean. His hobbies also include hunting, fishing and golf.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Islandguy - Glad you join us! Congrats on being 5 Star!

LauraS93

Reaction score
Yes - this is a standard FAQ on MSC. What is funnier is the FAQ that says you can volunter to be on the HOA Board and states to look for the form on a link that doesn't exist.

I am thinking of running for the HOA Board at WSJ next vote with all my new found WSJ friends. :rolleyes:

To all lurking - this is an ongoing process - please take the time to zip off an email to WSJ/SVO/HOA. I am still in the process...

You've got my vote, sir!!

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
I have only gotten the standard reply - I even wrote back to ask them not to send me the standard reply and a real response - and I got a standard reply. NOT LOL
The HOA board meets next week (if I recall correctly). I can't wait to go in June for more reasons than just a relaxing vacation.

nycmaui

Reaction score
I'm looking at pictures of the St Johns Villa and am quite confused. Some of the rooms look really modern and some look very old fashioned.

Are the modern rooms hotels and the old fashioned rooms villas?

I hope to go either Mexico or Caribbeans next year using my tradein.

seatrout

Reaction score
With all the unhappiness in WSJ- and the low Starpoint that is has, wouldn't more of you guys want to trade to other place. Ie non starwood place??

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WSJ is one of the few luxury resorts on a small island. You get far more value out of renting it, rather than trading it. However, most people buy at WSJ to use their week and they, understandably, expect Starwood to produce what they promise. It is unacceptable to have maintenance issues at a resort of this stature with high purchase prices and maintenance fees..

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
I'm looking at pictures of the St Johns Villa and am quite confused. Some of the rooms look really modern and some look very old fashioned.

Are the modern rooms hotels and the old fashioned rooms villas?

I hope to go either Mexico or Caribbeans next year using my tradein.

Some building have 'Westin'-styler design and some are 'older' Carb-style.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
With all the unhappiness in WSJ- and the low Starpoint that is has, wouldn't more of you guys want to trade to other place. Ie non starwood place??

Because STJ is unique - and WSJ while in need of better repair - our concern is if we are paying these MFs fees then what we are paying for should be well-maintained (simple as that)

pointsjunkie

TUG Member
Reaction score
have the hotel rooms been updated or are they also experiencing the tired feeling? i booked there for apr 09, before the starpoints go up.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
Reviews for the hotel can be poor at times - and getting poorer - but with STJ and WSJ - sometimes the reviews are based over over-expecations. Keep your expectations in perspective - and you should be fine. Being a 5* may get you upgraded to a TS (if that appeals to you - it does me) - or an OF room.

Please let us know how you visit went - I always enjoy hearing a review from an educated Tugger.

Status
Not open for further replies.