• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $23,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $23 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Westin St. John [Master Thread]

Status
Not open for further replies.

LisaH

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Good to know (didn't see the other thread)!
My point is I will not go out of my way to use RC but if their price is fair, at least this is a reputable company...

tlpnet

TUG Member
Reaction score
I remember reading a thread about cellular service at HRA, but I don't remember seeing one for WSJ. I switched to AT&T earlier this year, and they "claim" they have service in USVI, and it is included in their domestic coverage. Has anyone used their AT&T cellphones in St. John (specifically at WSJ and in Cruz Bay - if I'm outside of those locations, I don't want to be bothered.)

Thanks!
-tim

applekor

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WSJ-VG (3 bd pool phase 1 and phase 3),WSJ-BV (3bd, 2bd loft),WKV,VBC
At&t works well over in St Thomas. In St John I can get a good signal Down By the Westin Beach area. However, over on the hiilside villas I cant get anything.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
I have ATT and do not recall having a service problem at WSJ in our building (B34). Plus - the WiFi worked great (when it was working).

jerseygirl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Wow -- that's cool if AT&T is free. My brother is joining us for two weeks next year ... he has an i-phone, that's AT&T, right?

We pay $1.99/minute for Verizon. We used to get Verizon service for $1.99 on most Caribbean cruises (worked almost everywhere). Then, on a recent Carnival cruise, we found that they started a new "ship service" and suddently the price went way up. What a ripoff -- it worked fine without the "ship service." I turned my phone off in retaliation and just checked messages once a day.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
Be careful with data roaming with ATT and the iPhone - I got screwed over by ATT even though I was being careful and tracking my usage (as recommended by them) - turns out that if you download email (even if unread) it does not register as data used - so it cannot be tracked.

jerseygirl

TUG Member
Reaction score
You've lost me David, but I'll show this to my brother -- I'm sure he'll understand. :)

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
There are essentially 3 ways to communicate with an iPhone: 1) phone/messaging, 2) WiFi, and 3) by a data connection (e.g. G3)

The data connection - is data roaming - which is generally unlimited locally using ATT by paying $30/month. However, for International Data Roaming - they sell packages that allow for international data roaming (like they do for the phone service).

In my example - traveling in Europe - I wanted some data roaming capabilities since it is very useful (GPS, maps, etc.) - so I paid to have 20MB of international data roaming. All is good - followed their instructions and reset my data usage on the iPhone (so I could track it) and did the other things (turn off location services and data roaming) they recommended until they are needed. All is good.... right...

Tracked my usage - used my 20MB - got my bill and they said I used 50MB (additional cost of $170). I called ATT and said that I tracked and my phone registered 20MB - and then they told me that the phone does not capture data usage for email that is downloaded (whether or not it is read). I told them that if the iPhone doesn't account for this data - what use is it to track since it is not registered - and I was never informed of this. ATT credited my with 50%, but I am out of luck otherwise. Although - I may (if I get the time to be on hold) try and fight this further. I should consider myself lucky - I have heard reports that some people have returned owing $1000s.

Nice business - no way of really tracking or controlling the amount of data that comes thru the phone - and therefore the user is blind to the actual data usage and therefore cost.

jerseygirl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Oh -- I get it. Thanks. Those are outrageous rates. I've used my Blackberry (way too much, according to my family) in Europe, China, Caribbean, etc. and the bill was generally just a $100 more or so after an overseas vacation. Corporate AT&T rates, but still.

Appreciate the warning. I'll let my brother know -- he is definitely an I-phone addict. I set my personal email to come into my LG Dare automatically and turned it off within 3 days. It drove me nuts -- and seemed to suck the battery life by always searching for emails.

I guess I'm just someone who likes to compartmentalize: Cell Phone for phone calls ... Blackberry for work email (and backup phone only when necessary -- never give anyone the number!) ... Laptop for personal email and internet surfing ....

tlpnet

TUG Member
Reaction score
David wanted to use the international data, and subscribed to an international plan to allow for it. The fact that AT&T's system didn't track the data usage correctly doesn't suprise me, but is screwed up (but not atypical of AT&T).

In fringe areas (St John) where you are near international territory (BVI), the iPhone has a setting that prevents you from "accidentally" using international roaming. Your brother would want to make sure that his iPhone has automatic international roaming turned off to prevent data roaming charges should you get "too close" to BVI.

One cool thing about the iPhone is that its WiFi will work with Westin's authentication system which some other "data" phones will not.

Thanks for confirming that I can get at least some service there. I leave tomorrow night, and may have trouble sleeping tonight as the excitement builds. This is a vacation I "need"!

David - I'll check on your roof. :D

-tim

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
Thanks - Please do - ask about the siding and roof as part of the large SA it better be dealt with. Also - why the base MF went up 25% and if because of non-payment of MFs - then how do the Owners get that back when paid or villa taken back by WSJ.

The iPhone is fantastic for travelling (e.g.checking on tsunami warning at Tunnels Beach in Kauai) - just will not use internationally for data roaming - but bottom-line that the user gets no measure of data used for emails - just send a blank check.

jerseygirl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Tim and David -- thanks. Since the Soggy Dollar will definitely be part of our itinerary, the "turn off international roaming" tip is great. It's great to know we'll have a "free phone" on next year's trip.

And, Tim -- enjoy your trip!

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
Not only the international roaming - but be careful with making phone calls from certain parts of STJ - as the signal may go thru the BVI (this happened to my brother). This is not a problem at WSJ - but in Coral Bay (perhaps).

Enjoy - it appears that we are going to WSJ next year - yeah! (it was uncertain due to job changes).

wave to the Soggy Dollar webcam - enjoy those Painkillers and have a Bushwacker at One Love if the electricity is working (and don't forget Woody's walkup window at Happy Hour...)

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
MF update for WSJ Hillside

For 2Bd Townhouse - increase in base MFs (not special assessments) - w/o SVN fee

2005 $1,052.87
2006 $1,204.13 14.4%
2007 $1,322.98 9.9%
2008 $1,521.17 15%
2009 $1,600.65 5.2%
2010 $2,000.88 25%
{SA = ~$865 over 3 years - 2009 to 2011}

almost doubled in 5 years...

I just sent a very harsh note to the WSJ HOA.
If this incredible increase of 25% in MFs is because of Owners not paying MFs - do Owners ever get compenstated via these units becoming available via SVN, II/RCI, or thru the rental programs?
If this increase causes even more Owners to default or be deliquent - do abiding Owners also take on their MFs? If so - then it becomes a slippery slope.

I want answers!

Please contact the WSJ HOA and complain LOUDLY

Carolyn

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin St John
WJL St Lucia
St James Club Antigua
Charter Club Marco
Sheraton Desert Oasis
For 2Bd Townhouse - increase in base MFs (not special assessments) - w/o SVN fee

2005 $1,052.87
2006 $1,204.13 14.4%
2007 $1,322.98 9.9%
2008 $1,521.17 15%
2009 $1,600.65 5.2%
2010 $2,000.88 25%

almost doubled in 5 years...

I just sent a very harsh note to the WSJ HOA.
If this incredible increase of 25% in MFs is because of Owners not paying MFs - do Owners ever get compenstated via these units becoming available via SVN, II/RCI, or thru the rental programs?
If this increase causes even more Owners to default or be deliquent - do abiding Owners also take on their MFs? If so - then it becomes a slippery slope.

I want answers!

Please contact the WSJ HOA and complain LOUDLY

David,

Any idea how I would find out these past mf's for the 1 BR Premium Villa?
We have only owned for 2 years. Thanks.

Carolyn

jerseygirl

TUG Member
Reaction score
David --

We should be pushing for owners to have the ability to "adopt an unpaid week," pay the maintenance fee and use it. They could do it on a first come-first serve basis ... or a lottery, whatever. One resort where I owned a week had a program like that and it was really successful -- took the collection rate to almost 100% and it had some not-so-great seasons. WSJ is popular with owners year-round ... even in the height of hurricane season.

How do you contact the HOA? Mystarcentral's message center? I have no faith I'm getting a response from anyone other than a clerk in the client service area when I use that. I'm REALLY bothered by the lack of transparency. I have names, email and home addresses for HOA board members at other resorts where I own weeks.

I am convinced that Starwood has gone "unchecked" for far too long. We really need to get organized about challenging stuff like this.

-- Jerseygirl

LisaRex

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Used to own: WKORV-N; SVV - Bella
How do you contact the HOA? Mystarcentral's message center? I have no faith I'm getting a response from anyone other than a clerk in the client service area when I use that. I'm REALLY bothered by the lack of transparency. I have names, email and home addresses for HOA board members at other resorts where I own weeks.

One poster reported that he sent a note asking for the HOA board member names and he was sent the information. I'd send a note asking for names and CONTACT information.

I think we should also be sending emails to the President of SVO. He needs to hear our complaints.

olivias dad

Reaction score
While I have seen the pictures on MyStarCentral of the renovations to the Hillside Units - does anyone have any pictures of their recent stay? While we were there this past August, work was being done on Blding 33 and 34 (our unit) was next. We are already booked to go next year and just curious of the new look?

:ponder:

Carolyn

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin St John
WJL St Lucia
St James Club Antigua
Charter Club Marco
Sheraton Desert Oasis
While I have seen the pictures on MyStarCentral of the renovations to the Hillside Units - does anyone have any pictures of their recent stay? While we were there this past August, work was being done on Blding 33 and 34 (our unit) was next. We are already booked to go next year and just curious of the new look?

I should be in Bldg 33 in a 1 BR Premium Villa Nov. 7-14 although we own in Bldg 34.
I plan to take pix of our Villa and will try to see if I can get into a studio and 2BR if possible. They better be pretty darn nice for the amount of money we are paying.

Carolyn

tlpnet

TUG Member
Reaction score
I learned something new about St. John today. They have earthquakes here! Being from SoCal, not something I'm not used to, but was caught off guard about 30 minutes ago. Probably around a 4.0, but solidly felt upstairs. Feeling more and more at home here. :D

-tim

**UPDATE: USGS put it at 3.6 - more info here

Last edited:

jerseygirl

TUG Member
Reaction score
I was there for a week recenlty and stayed in the first 2-BR townhouse (corner unit -- maybe 3110?) that you come to in the lower Hillside buildings. The unit looked great. Both bedrooms identical (except one has a view) so I only took one picture:

BR-2BrTownhouse.jpg

And, I have one of the living room.

LR-2-BRtownhouse-1.jpg

Thought I took one of the kitchen but I must not have saved it -- sorry -- it looked great.

Quality not great -- last minute cell phone picures with bad light. :eek:

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim) NEW: 2 Lawa'i Beach Resort!

2005 $1,052.87
2006 $1,204.13 14.4%
2007 $1,322.98 9.9%
2008 $1,521.17 15%
2009 $1,600.65 5.2%
2010 $2,000.88 25%

Is this projected or the actual 2010 fee? - thanks!

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
Is this projected or the actual 2010 fee? - thanks!

This is on the letter sent to WSJ Owners to be approved at upcoming HOA meeting - this preliminary budget has been approved every year by the HOA (of course)

Status
Not open for further replies.