• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Westin St John Master Thread - Part 3 [Dec. 2017 and forward]

cubigbird

Tug Review Crew Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Lagunamar, Westin Kierland X2, Westin St John-Sunset Bay X2, Westin Desert Willow, Westin Aventuras
MF huge increase + $25/nt fee is starting to add up. What’s the breaking point where it becomes more economical to rent?

I have found places to rent on VRBO and AirBnB at places like Sapphire Beach, Secret Harbor and Bolongo in St Thomas for 1/2 the cost and no $25 per night tax.

SandyPGravel

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin St. John Plat+
2 BR-VGV
Westin St. John Plat
2 BR-BV
What? Easter Rock? JK :D

carpie99

TUG Member
Reaction score
MF huge increase + $25/nt fee is starting to add up. What’s the breaking point where it becomes more economical to rent?

I have found places to rent on VRBO and AirBnB at places like Sapphire Beach, Secret Harbor and Bolongo in St Thomas for 1/2 the cost and no $25 per night tax.

But you have to be in St. Thomas :eek:

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
Photo by Steve Simonsen
(Renowned St John Photographer)

Overlooking Great Cruz Bay
(Westin St John)

cf4ff91bb503d34d8a9d40de65a2e501.jpg

Jenn (News of St John) took similar photo (no filter) - looks like at a slightly earlier time. I think she lives right up the hill from WSJ.

749873335a86a9483bfda933aa259673.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

PainKiller

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WSJ Pool Villa
Grand Luxxe
I was looking for info on WSJ and mold and stumbled onto this blog. A lot of great information here. I emailed Larry Pelletier and Phillp Schrag following the December 2019 letter but I don't think I received a response. I was hoping to find out the extent of the affected WSJ pool units and if they will be ready in June. We have 4411. Does anyone have a contact and email or phone number, for finding out the affected units. Thanks

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
I was looking for info on WSJ and mold and stumbled onto this blog. A lot of great information here. I emailed Larry Pelletier and Phillp Schrag following the December 2019 letter but I don't think I received a response. I was hoping to find out the extent of the affected WSJ pool units and if they will be ready in June. We have 4411. Does anyone have a contact and email or phone number, for finding out the affected units. Thanks

I think the WSJ GM could help with this question. Use to be Sam Hugli, but he is unexpectedly gone.
You could call front desk and ask for GM. Not sure Phil or Larry can answer this question as to the specific units beyond what is stated in their email.

Good luck - let us know what you find out.

Helios

TUG Member
Reaction score
I was told by a rep that all Building 43 and some Building 44 were affected.

SRG53

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
St John Coral Vista
ST. John Sunset Bay
We are heading to St John on the 24th. Wondering what the situation is like for parking at Honeymoon Beach. I also wondered if parking in Cruz Bay is same as before the storm? Thanks

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
We are heading to St John on the 24th. Wondering what the situation is like for parking at Honeymoon Beach. I also wondered if parking in Cruz Bay is same as before the storm? Thanks

There is no parking for Honeymoon - never was. Did you mean parking at Caneel and walking in? No

But, they are running (or did in June) a shuttle from the Caneel entrance for a small fee. Honeymoon has changed considerably - there is now a concession stand and rentals. This could be good or bad - depending on view of such things. We have done both - we are okay with both.

Cruz Bay parking is bad, and worse than it ever was. The public lot is filled with abandoned cars and police vehicles. Plenty of paid parking though (at least in June).

Check out Lime Out (Coral Bay) - floating taco bar - if you can. We loved it - the East Enders, not so much...
Not allowed to swim out - we went during a Charter (Island Roots).

Also Maho Crossroads (at Maho Bay) - again... locals seem to have love/hate relationship - depending on outlook (and bias). Personally, they need more above water activities - the reefs were severely harmed by H.Irma.

Last edited:

SRG53

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
St John Coral Vista
ST. John Sunset Bay
Thanks for your help, have not been there since Jan 2017. I did mean walking from old Caneel bay parking lot. Guess we knew it would be an adventure to get back and see what's changed. Have rented a Jeep again for this trip. hope it's not a waste of $$.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
For those that enjoy The Lime Out (Floating Taco Bar in Coral Bay) - you may want to sign this Change.org petition.

78b7c542254f0ff25f59e9139055d9a5.jpg

okwiater

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV 2B Plat+ (x2)
WSJ 3B Plat+ (VGV/BV)
WLR 2B Plat+ Oceanside
SMV 2B Plat+
Sheraton Flex (x2)
We arrived to WSJ yesterday for the first time since Irma. Lime Out is closed btw. First impression is the resort looks great overall. Definitely evidence everywhere of the hurricanes but they did a nice job on the restoration, particularly the landscaping. Granted, the landscaping better be nice since the landscaping contractor they hired flies his own helicopter from San Juan. Maybe I’ll be a Caribbean landscaping contractor in my next life. :D

We are in a building 44 pool villa. Home resort reservation but not our unit. All the furnishings are new but according to the housekeepers the unit we are in sustained only minor damage. Perhaps that’s why it’s not affected by the HVAC mold issues? Also, does anyone know which units have the “new” pool villa floor plan vs the “old” with sliding wall? We’ve stayed in both, and I had previously thought all building 43 and 44 units were of the “new” variety, but the layout of this is “old”, save for the sliding wall being replaced by a permanent wall. (Hooray!)

We rented a car from Discount on St. Thomas this time (no availability with Amalie) and the pickup was fine. We arrived via cruise ship and they picked us up from Crown Bay and will take us to the airport upon our return. The Jeep Unlimited we rented is relatively new (12k miles) and in good condition overall.

On a bit of a somber note, while waiting at Snorkels yesterday for our room to be ready, a young man went into cardiac arrest with numerous bystanders attempting CPR. I was surprised how slow the resort’s response was. Don’t the resort staff working near the pool know how to escalate an emergency? I don’t expect top notch emergency response on a somewhat remote Caribbean island, but it took a loooong time for help to arrive. I don’t want to put anything else in writing here, but St. John rescue did eventually take him away. Not sure how things turned out after that, but I hope for the best for his family. :’(

SRG53

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
St John Coral Vista
ST. John Sunset Bay
With as many folks around with basic life support or advanced life support training like me, i sure hope they have some AEDs onsite. Scary

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
Thanks for the update - sorry to hear about the incident.

Lime Out decided to close to resolve DNPR issues - even with an outpouring of support.

They may have replaced the sliding walls (they wanted to anyway) after the H.Irma damage. I recall the sliders being in the 2 older buildings (41 & 42 ?).

Our friend that use to travel with us to STJ stopped going when she discovered there is no hospital on STJ after an incident she had.

The closest is STT and Tortola (and they are not much) with medical evacuations likely to Miami with the devastations in PR.

okwiater

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV 2B Plat+ (x2)
WSJ 3B Plat+ (VGV/BV)
WLR 2B Plat+ Oceanside
SMV 2B Plat+
Sheraton Flex (x2)
The building 44 mystery is solved. We just spoke to the pool cleaners and they said only one unit in buildings 43 and 44 has the “old” floor plan. The new floor plan (with an additional bathroom and sleeps 10 instead of 8, as well as with a hot tub) was implemented after construction of the newer buildings began. For reference, unit 4415 is the one that still had the “old” building 41/42 style layout.

alexadeparis

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
We are in a building 44 pool villa. Home resort reservation but not our unit. All the furnishings are new but according to the housekeepers the unit we are in sustained only minor damage. Perhaps that’s why it’s not affected by the HVAC mold issues? Also, does anyone know which units have the “new” pool villa floor plan vs the “old” with sliding wall? We’ve stayed in both, and I had previously thought all building 43 and 44 units were of the “new” variety, but the layout of this is “old”, save for the sliding wall being replaced by a permanent wall. (Hooray!)

D3924B16-15C2-4F3E-8C85-052712E01116.png

alexadeparis

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
2D52CC57-309B-497F-9059-92353162B870.png
7BF83F5E-CB62-4D7A-84EC-81FE4C77039D.png
This is phase III’s layout; all of building 43 and 44 except 4415.

cubigbird

Tug Review Crew Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Lagunamar, Westin Kierland X2, Westin St John-Sunset Bay X2, Westin Desert Willow, Westin Aventuras
Where can we find a resort map of WSJ that includes building numbers?

SandyPGravel

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin St. John Plat+
2 BR-VGV
Westin St. John Plat
2 BR-BV
Map
469a3648dd112adbd16f2926e3b9caa2.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

mjm1

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Resorts and Destination Club Points;
Westin Kierland Villas;
HGVC Flamingo & Blvd;
Hyatt Pinon Pointe
We plan to rent a car on STT and take one of the car ferries over to WSJ. It appears the options are with Big Red or Love City Car Ferries. Prices are the same and we would reserve a round trip. Any recommendations between the two would be appreciated.

Best regards.

Mike

SandyPGravel

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin St. John Plat+
2 BR-VGV
Westin St. John Plat
2 BR-BV
Not exactly a WSJ question, but someone might be able to answer from this thread.

We've gone around the island through Coral Bay to Salt Pond/Ram Head. We've never gone over Bordeaux mountain to 107 to get to Lamshur.(See thumbnail) Can someone that has done this comment on it. Is it doable? Would we be better off going the long way down 10 and around the edge to get to Lamshur? Will I need valium to handle the road? o_O(DH drives, not me!)

I ask, because once our GPS tried to take us over Bordeaux mountain on 108 to get back to WSJ and we just kept going up and up on narrower and narrower roads until I was convinced we made an incorrect turn and were in someones driveway. We turned around, not fun, and went back down and through Coral Bay back to Rt 10. (As you all know not a lot of signage even before IrMaria.) My hands were sweating because of the steepness of the road and turns. I am very uncomfortable with heights, my hands sweat watching someone else up high on TV. We do take 104 east, to cut out going through Cruz Bay, to get to Coral Bay.

TIA, Gina (Stay Left)

1579880889218.png

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
Not exactly a WSJ question, but someone might be able to answer from this thread.

We've gone around the island through Coral Bay to Salt Pond/Ram Head. We've never gone over Bordeaux mountain to 107 to get to Lamshur.(See thumbnail) Can someone that has done this comment on it. Is it doable? Would we be better off going the long way down 10 and around the edge to get to Lamshur? Will I need valium to handle the road? o_O(DH drives, not me!)

I ask, because once our GPS tried to take us over Bordeaux mountain on 108 to get back to WSJ and we just kept going up and up on narrower and narrower roads until I was convinced we made an incorrect turn and were in someones driveway. We turned around, not fun, and went back down and through Coral Bay back to Rt 10. (As you all know not a lot of signage even before IrMaria.) My hands were sweating because of the steepness of the road and turns. I am very uncomfortable with heights, my hands sweat watching someone else up high on TV. We do take 104 east, to cut out going through Cruz Bay, to get to Coral Bay.

TIA, Gina (Stay Left)

View attachment 16619

The trip up to Bordeaux Mtn from Coral Bay is easier than going down.
It does not save time.

I would not depend on a map App.
Just head up (and stay left).