• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Westin St John Master Thread - Part 3 [Dec. 2017 and forward]

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
We didn't find it much hassle to change out towels...between having our own car, the golf carts and the VGV housekeeping room that is never locked, we always had clean towels with little effort.

We too brought a "shade in a bag" with us. Best invention ever. Sand anchors work great.

This is in reference to the beach towels - not the regular towel exchange.
They are no longer bringing up new beach towels.
It would take 20-30 min round trip from B33-34 to exchange beach towels at pool hut.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
BTW...with much sorrow we have decided to give away our WSJ unit. Listed on tug2.net and on Red Week. If this post breaks the rules...please delete.

Give away? Why would you not use Bargain Deals?
Or are you selling? Which is not giving away...

GrayFal

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Bluegreen SVV Morritt's Seaside Former WSJx5
Give away? Why would you not use Bargain Deals?
Or are you selling? Which is not giving away...

It is posted in Bargain Deals for $1

ekinggill

TUG Member
Reaction score
This is in reference to the beach towels - not the regular towel exchange.
They are no longer bringing up new beach towels.
It would take 20-30 min round trip from B33-34 to exchange beach towels at pool hut.

We had 4 beach towels in our unit on check in and there were about a dozen folded beach towels in the maid's room in the basement of building 33 when I went and looked. I can only comment on what happened the week of July 19-26.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
We had 4 beach towels in our unit on check in and there were about a dozen folded beach towels in the maid's room in the basement of building 33 when I went and looked. I can only comment on what happened the week of July 19-26.

We had 6 towels in our villa - which is great. But none in maids room - and were told when we called for exchange that we had to go to pool hut. Last year I grabbed from maids room. Those beach towels you grabbed from maids room were probably to stock villas for new arrivals.

We are just going to wash as needed.

farsighted99

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Nanea (Maui)
So what's with all the taxes owners have to pay at WSJ? You are getting billed by the USVI tax department on top of the MF's? Then you have to pay $25 per day when you stay there? (at least I had to... even though I own at Nanea). I saw that if you book through Marriott (and are not an owner or a Vistana owner using Options) it's $40. What gives??

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
So what's with all the taxes owners have to pay at WSJ? You are getting billed by the USVI tax department on top of the MF's? Then you have to pay $25 per day when you stay there? (at least I had to... even though I own at Nanea). I saw that if you book through Marriott (and are not an owner or a Vistana owner using Options) it's $40. What gives??

The $25 per day is an USVI ‘Environmental’ Fee - that IMO will never hold up in court if challenged.
(Because the Fee is the same for a studio (occupancy of 4) and a 3Bd (occupancy of 12).
How is that fair or balanced when it comes to the environment?

Our PropTax is $160/wk - the EF is $175/wk.
Yep - sucks...

SandyPGravel

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin St. John Plat+
2 BR-VGV
Westin St. John Plat
2 BR-BV
Important update on the proposed mega-yacht marina in Coral Bay in today's News of St. John.

http://newsofstjohn.com/2019/08/21/proposed-mega-yacht-marina-still-on-the-table/

"Are you a resident of the Virgin Islands, or do you own property in the USVI? Do you want an opportunity to participate in the decision making process regarding the Summer’s End Group mega yacht marina in Coral Bay Harbor, St John? If so, then I encourage you to sign the petition below and add your name to the list of people who want to ensure that any decision regarding the permits for this project are made in a way that promotes public participation, as required by the Virgin Islands Coastal Zone Management Act.

This is where you come in. If you are a full or part time resident of the island, or if you own property on the island (and I believe having a timeshare at the Westin or Grande Bay counts), David is asking that you sign the above-mentioned petition. You can do so by clicking this link."

LisaH

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
BTW...with much sorrow we have decided to give away our WSJ unit. Listed on tug2.net and on Red Week. If this post breaks the rules...please delete.
I just sold my Week 32 2BR for $2500 by listing on craigslist. I paid stamp tax and buyer paid the rest of closing costs. There is a market out there. It may take some time but it will sell! I also listed on Redweek with zero interest. We are sad to part with our week but will return by either renting from owners or using AirBnb/VRBO

schafercpa

Reaction score
Important update on the proposed mega-yacht marina in Coral Bay in today's News of St. John.

http://newsofstjohn.com/2019/08/21/proposed-mega-yacht-marina-still-on-the-table/

"Are you a resident of the Virgin Islands, or do you own property in the USVI? Do you want an opportunity to participate in the decision making process regarding the Summer’s End Group mega yacht marina in Coral Bay Harbor, St John? If so, then I encourage you to sign the petition below and add your name to the list of people who want to ensure that any decision regarding the permits for this project are made in a way that promotes public participation, as required by the Virgin Islands Coastal Zone Management Act.

This is where you come in. If you are a full or part time resident of the island, or if you own property on the island (and I believe having a timeshare at the Westin or Grande Bay counts), David is asking that you sign the above-mentioned petition. You can do so by clicking this link."

I too just read this article posted by Jenn at NOSJ. Everyone on this blog has an interest in saving STJ from this horror and should immediately sign the petition!!!!!

mjm1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Resorts and Destination Club Points;
Westin Kierland Villas;
HGVC Flamingo & Blvd;
Hyatt Pinon Pointe
We are going to try to reserve a studio WSJ for next year when the 9 month window opens. When I searched for availability it does show that there are studios available as of now. However, it doesn't indicate which section of the resort it would be in (Sunset Bay, Coral Vista or Virgin Grand). Does the resort just assign a section to you randomly or is the reservation for a particular section? Also, I don't recall which of Sunset Bay or Coral Vista was the last section built out from the hotel. Any insights would be appreciated.

This will be our second stay, assuming we can reserve something. Last time we stayed in a Virgin Grand 1BR. We are thinking we want to try either Sunset Bay or Coral Vista this time even though the units are smaller.

Best regards.

Mike

You mean at 8 months with SOs?
It matters what time of year you are trying to get into WSJ with SOs - not sure searching current availability is useful.

I would call (WSJ Front Desk - not Vistana) close to your (successful) reservation date to request phase - week or so.

Studios are common at WSJ - 1Bd are only at VGV (Hillside) phase.

Sunset Bay is newest phase - by Main Pool.

If you have vehicle - VGV is best IMO. We don’t even go down to Main Resort.

David, you were correct about how the inventory can change as the 8 month window is about to open. I had continued to watch for the week we desired in late April, 2020, which was a Sunday check in, and the system showed availability for a studio villa (not even with an indication of "low availability.") Then on the last day before the window opened availability for a 7 night stay completely disappeared. Owners must have realized they needed to book something within their priority window. So, I watched for a 6 night stay to open the next day. It was there with "low availability", but alas I wasn't quick enough to reserve a unit. Finally, I was able to reserve a 4 night stay in a Premium Studio Villa last night. While we were disappointed to not get as many nights as we wanted, at least we got 4 nights. We also have 4 nights at the Ritz- St. Thomas, so it will be a nice combination. So, WSJ continues to be a challenging resort to get into at the 8 month mark.

I do have a couple of questions for experienced WSJ travellers:
- Has anyone here had any success in adding a night or two to a reservation by continuing to watch for availability to free up?
- Are you allowed to reserve only 1 night at WSJ?
- What is a Premium Studio Villa? I only see "studio villa" listed on the floor plans provided on the site. I called Vistana and a rep told me it is a larger sized studio, but he didn't seem confident in his answer. Perhaps it is in Coral Vista, since the studios are a bit larger than those in Sunset Bay.

Best regards.

Mike

farsighted99

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Nanea (Maui)
The studio we stayed in at Coral Vista in March was great! On the main floor, a small kitchen with a dishwasher. Not sure what they mean by "premium" though. Space does open up; we went during Spring Break and I was amazed to even get the space at all 3 weeks before we actually went there. Keep trying. Otherwise, stay in St. Thomas. The Ritz Carlton has to be great.

SandyPGravel

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin St. John Plat+
2 BR-VGV
Westin St. John Plat
2 BR-BV
David, you were correct about how the inventory can change as the 8 month window is about to open. I had continued to watch for the week we desired in late April, 2020, which was a Sunday check in, and the system showed availability for a studio villa (not even with an indication of "low availability.") Then on the last day before the window opened availability for a 7 night stay completely disappeared. Owners must have realized they needed to book something within their priority window. So, I watched for a 6 night stay to open the next day. It was there with "low availability", but alas I wasn't quick enough to reserve a unit. Finally, I was able to reserve a 4 night stay in a Premium Studio Villa last night. While we were disappointed to not get as many nights as we wanted, at least we got 4 nights. We also have 4 nights at the Ritz- St. Thomas, so it will be a nice combination. So, WSJ continues to be a challenging resort to get into at the 8 month mark.

I do have a couple of questions for experienced WSJ travellers:
- Has anyone here had any success in adding a night or two to a reservation by continuing to watch for availability to free up? Yes. I was able to add on one day to the beginning of my rez one year. I planned on renting one of the hotel rooms (when Sunset Bay was still hotel rooms.) But then several months later the one day I wanted opened up. I was a happy camper!
- Are you allowed to reserve only 1 night at WSJ? I don't think so, but they were able to add mine to my existing rez.
- What is a Premium Studio Villa? I only see "studio villa" listed on the floor plans provided on the site. I called Vistana and a rep told me it is a larger sized studio, but he didn't seem confident in his answer. Perhaps it is in Coral Vista, since the studios are a bit larger than those in Sunset Bay. IDK

Best regards.

Mike

jschmeling

TUG Member
Reaction score
We're getting ready for our late September trip, pretty excited to get back to St. John after two years not being able to go. We're there for 5 days in a two bedroom loft in Coral Vista (that's where we bought our points). Normally I'd prefer that, but this year we're taking my 78 year old mother-in-law (and my sister-in-law). I noted we'd prefer a unit with no steps if possible. Anyone have the best approach to try to get a until that's not on multiple floors?

Separately, we're, as usual, renting a car in St. Thomas, looks like barge service is now pretty regular. The trip report I saw above seems to indicate the beaches are in good shape though the snorkeling might take years to recover. We may leave snorkeling gear at home this trip if that's the case. We are taking beach chairs for the first time, and I found an awesome duffel bag on Amazon that holds four Renneto chairs! Way more convenient than strapping them together. It weighs about 65 pounds, which is under the 70 pounds as a Delta medallion member, too. (https://amzn.to/2ZlWzXc)

I love the wine shipping idea, too... I normally buy there, but the choices here are a lot better. Not to mention the prices. BUT, I'm also open to shopping local to support the recovery, so how are the stores (Starfish and across the hall?) stocked with wine now? We've also usually stopped at Food Center on STT on the way to stock up on groceries and sometimes wine or beer.

Getting excited!!! One month to go!

mjm1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Resorts and Destination Club Points;
Westin Kierland Villas;
HGVC Flamingo & Blvd;
Hyatt Pinon Pointe
The studio we stayed in at Coral Vista in March was great! On the main floor, a small kitchen with a dishwasher. Not sure what they mean by "premium" though. Space does open up; we went during Spring Break and I was amazed to even get the space at all 3 weeks before we actually went there. Keep trying. Otherwise, stay in St. Thomas. The Ritz Carlton has to be great.

Thank you for your insights.

I reviewed the StarOptions charts again and noted that the studios in Virgin Grand are listed as Premium Studio Villas, so it looks like that is where we will be. We had hoped to try the studios down below, but we are happy to be anywhere in the resort.

And I will keep watching to see if we can add a night or two.

Best regards.

Mike

LisaH

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
We're getting ready for our late September trip, pretty excited to get back to St. John after two years not being able to go. We're there for 5 days in a two bedroom loft in Coral Vista (that's where we bought our points). Normally I'd prefer that, but this year we're taking my 78 year old mother-in-law (and my sister-in-law). I noted we'd prefer a unit with no steps if possible. Anyone have the best approach to try to get a until that's not on multiple floors?

Separately, we're, as usual, renting a car in St. Thomas, looks like barge service is now pretty regular. The trip report I saw above seems to indicate the beaches are in good shape though the snorkeling might take years to recover. We may leave snorkeling gear at home this trip if that's the case. We are taking beach chairs for the first time, and I found an awesome duffel bag on Amazon that holds four Renneto chairs! Way more convenient than strapping them together. It weighs about 65 pounds, which is under the 70 pounds as a Delta medallion member, too. (https://amzn.to/2ZlWzXc)

I love the wine shipping idea, too... I normally buy there, but the choices here are a lot better. Not to mention the prices. BUT, I'm also open to shopping local to support the recovery, so how are the stores (Starfish and across the hall?) stocked with wine now? We've also usually stopped at Food Center on STT on the way to stock up on groceries and sometimes wine or beer.

Getting excited!!! One month to go!
We were there last week. Starfish is well stocked with wines. I'm not a wine connoisseur but it seems OK, price is quite decent as well.
Snorkeling was pretty good. Reefs seem to be healthy at Honeymoon, Salt Pond and the left side of Trunk Bay (facing ocean). We also cruised on Island Roots and went snorkeling at Congo/Lovango Cays, Little and Great Lamershur Bays. Even Reef Bay has some really nice reef formations where it is usually not calm enough to snorkel but we lucked out. We are also lucky to have very good weather pretty much the entire week.
Barge service was on time. We took Global Marine upon arrival and bought round trip fare to save some money.

SandyPGravel

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin St. John Plat+
2 BR-VGV
Westin St. John Plat
2 BR-BV
kJXzUEqa5brNVCO4NGLy_LJKh0W_i7R6rj3EI2P7vEyFZwkaaRkbeml1y8X49cD6bPMOtWeGtwGgalMgGGNkG8A4bQPVT0qbhbA5C-ezCSkd_j1J5XMC9gFcX-WktAU=s0-d-e1-ft

Virgin Grand Villas – 2019 USVI Property Tax

Dear Mrs. Gina,

The Office of the Tax Assessor of the U.S. Virgin Islands has issued the 2019 property tax bills to all property owners of record as of Jan. 1, 2019. Payment is due in full no later than Oct. 14, 2019, in order to avoid late payment charges.

Vistana Management, Inc. (VMI) just received the 2019 tax bills and is in the process of mailing them to Owners. The 2019 tax bills are currently available for viewing online. Please follow the steps below to submit your payment by Oct. 14, 2019. To locate your information online, you must have an established Parcel Number or your loan must have been paid in full as of Jan. 1, 2019.

1. Click here to conduct a tax bill search using your name and/or Parcel Number.
  2. Select the Parcel Number for the 2019 tax year.
    • If you own multiple Parcels, select the Owner Name then scroll through the 2019 Account Numbers to individually select each Parcel.
  3. Select the Bill Number for the 2019 Tax Year to view the amount due and print the Tax Bill Detail page.
  4. Choose one of the following payment methods:

Payment by Check:
    • Make your check payable to the Government of the United States Virgin Islands.
    • Write the Parcel Number on your check.

Payment by Credit Card:
    • Print and complete the USVI Credit Card Authorization Form* in its entirety.
    • Write the Parcel Number in the “Apply Amount to” section of the form.
    • Provide a copy of the cardholder’s passport or driver’s license.
  5. Include a copy of the Tax Bill Detail page for the Parcel that shows the amount due.
  6. Request a paid receipt and include a stamped self-addressed return envelope. Please be sure to retain your paid receipt for future reference.
  7. Send your check or credit card authorization form, via certified or registered mail with return receipt requested, to:

Office of the Lieutenant Governor
    Property Tax Collection Division
    P.O. Box 447
    Cruz Bay, St. John, U.S. Virgin Islands, 00831
If you choose to pay your tax bill using one of the methods described above, please retain the tax bill you receive from VMI for your records.

The Property Tax Collection Division does accept online Visa or Mastercard credit card payments; however, payment by this method requires you to have a Control Number and Invoice Number (same as Bill Number noted in Step 3 above) to access your account. This information will appear on the tax bill that is being mailed to you and is located on the back of the payment coupon. The Control Number remains the same each year; therefore, you may also reference last year’s tax bill to obtain this information. Click here to access the Virgin Islands online bill pay site.

VMI is happy to assist you with any questions you may have on this matter, however, please understand that VMI does not have the ability to adjust your tax bill. Furthermore, contacting VMI will not preserve your protest rights with the Office of the Tax Assessor.

Sincerely,

Vistana Management, Inc.

Has anyone received the property tax bill from Vistana?:ponder:

SandyPGravel

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin St. John Plat+
2 BR-VGV
Westin St. John Plat
2 BR-BV
Received mine about 3 weeks ago.

Markus

I haven't received one from Vistana, nor did I receive one last year. (I did receive one from the VI, but I would like to receive one from Vistana since the VI isn't reliable either.) I sent an inquiry in this morning on Dashboard to see what is going on.

SandyPGravel

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin St. John Plat+
2 BR-VGV
Westin St. John Plat
2 BR-BV
I sent an email to owner services asking when I would receive my tax bill. I mentioned that I never did receive one last year. The response I received was "I understand that you received an email stating that the invoices for annual maintenance fees for your VOI were being mailed out. Please keep in mind, that this can take up to several weeks, maybe even a couple of month to issue out the invoices." I responded mentioning that the TAXES are due in about 7 weeks and sending the statement out "in a couple of months" was ridiculous.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

controller1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN OF
Westin Nanea OF
Westin FLEX
I sent an email to owner services asking when I would receive my tax bill. I mentioned that I never did receive one last year. The response I received was "I understand that you received an email stating that the invoices for annual maintenance fees for your VOI were being mailed out. Please keep in mind, that this can take up to several weeks, maybe even a couple of month to issue out the invoices." I responded mentioning that the TAXES are due in about 7 weeks and sending the statement out "in a couple of months" was ridiculous.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

That shows either a bot read your email or an employee glanced at it for key words and didn't read it to understand it. Pathetic.

bobpark56

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Lagunamar, Westin Aventuras, Marriott Grande Vista, Sandos Caracol, Festiva, Diamond Resorts (Hawaii Collection)
Is Virgin Grand the only HOA to get these tax bills? I have never heard anything about taxes on Coral Vista.

farsighted99

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Nanea (Maui)
So how is tropical cyclone Dorian affecting St. John so far? I see it's raining there. Anyone staying at the Westin Resort right now? Looks like there is a Curfew that starts at noon (right about now) .... http://newsofstjohn.com

LisaH

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
In the last 100 years, only one hurricane (Bertha in July 1996) hit USVI before mid Aug. We had Week 32 and we always had sunny weather during the day with occasional rains and overnight showers. Guess we were lucky! :cheer: