• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Westin Princeville or Marriott Kauai Beach Club?

wanderer63

Reaction score
Hi
I was wondering if there is anyone that has stayed at KBC and the Westin Princeville, where would you prefer to stay if given a choice?
What do you like about KBC? What don't you like?
I have a week reserved at the Westin Princeville and it looks like a nice resort. My only concern is the weather on the north shore. I have eplus so I could trade if something comes up for our dates.
I appreciate any advice

Thanks

travelhacker

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi
I was wondering if there is anyone that has stayed at KBC and the Westin Princeville, where would you prefer to stay if given a choice?
I have a week reserved at the Westin Princeville and it looks like a nice resort. My only concern is the weather on the north shore. I have eplus so I could trade if something comes up for our dates.
I appreciate any advice

Thanks
I stayed at both recently (Winter Break), I also added Waiohai to the mix.

Here's a quick rundown.

We loved KBC. However, this may be the least loved resort in Hawaii in the Marriott / Westin system on TUG.

Here's why we loved it:
- We had a fantastic view
- It's beach front
- Central location for lots of activities
- Daily walks with activity staff

Here's what we didn't like as much:
- The room setup (it was a hotel conversion)
- The buildings are old
- Walking to / from parking

As a resort, we loved the Westin Princeville -- the rooms were great and since we travelled with my father in law, the lock-off set up could not be beat. I'd be happy to spend a week here.

Here's what we liked:
- It felt high end from the rooms to the grounds, to the pools.
- Close to activities on the North Shore

Here's what we wouldn't have liked had we stayed there for longer:
- (We had great weather, but that can be a concern)
- The walk to the beach is rough.
- You have to plan very far in advance to do the Napali Coast.
- Pretty long drive to everything but Princeville and Hanalei
- More of a vacation feel when you go out (KBC is right in Lihue)

I would love to spend a week at either location again. However, I think you need to ask yourself "What activities do I want to do for this vacation?" If you want to go all over the island, even despite some of the shortfalls at KBC, I would still recommend that. If you want to just do a couple of days in areas outside of the North Shore, then you can't go wrong with the Westin Princeville.

Feel free to reach out with other questions.

slip

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 20 wks; Maui Schooner, 1.5 wks; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI
Hi
I appreciate any advice

Thanks
What are your dates? The North end of Kauai gets much more rain in the winter compared to the summer.

zentraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Four Seasons Residence Club

Here's a quick rundown.

We loved KBC. However, this may be the least loved resort in Hawaii in the Marriott / Westin system on TUG.

Here's why we loved it:
- It's beach front

- The buildings are old

As a resort, we loved the Westin Princeville -- the rooms were great and since we travelled with my father in law, the lock-off set up could not be beat. I'd be happy to spend a week here.

Here's what we liked:

I would love to spend a week at either location again. However, I think you need to ask yourself "What activities do I want to do for this vacation?" If you want to go all over the island, even despite some of the shortfalls at KBC, I would still recommend that. If you want to just do a couple of days in areas outside of the North Shore, then you can't go wrong with the Westin Princeville.

We love them both but travelhacker really nailed the differences. And I would add that KBC is equi-distant roughly for traveling noth or south to attractions. Central and close to the airport (but not noisy).

pchung6

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORVN-OF, SVVx3, SBP, MKO-OV, MWR
For the resort itself, I like Westin Princeville. It's much better resort than any other Marriott resorts in Kauai. The problem is the location not beachfront that people dislike.

I like Poipu. That's the reason I stayed at Marriott resorts in Kauai.

If you want to stay in Poipu and care about the resort condition, and you are ok with the smaller room, Sheraton Kauai could be a good alternative. Resort is new. Pool is new. It is 20 seconds walk cross street to hotel side of amenities, which are very nice. I love the beach in front of the pool and the hotel feel. The problem is room is smaller than Westin or Marriott.

wanderer63

Reaction score
Thank you so much for the thoughtful replies!
We are going in late September. We had stayed in Poipu before and spent most of our time in that area. We did a day trip to the north side but at the time the road to Hanalei was closed and it was raining so we did not see too much. The Princeville resort does look really nice and most reviews I've read have been positive. My only concern was the weather.

Any recommendations for restaurants in the Princeville area?

goaliedave

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Raintree, Diamond (bought by Hilton), Shell (bought by Wyndham), Sheraton (bought by Marriott), Palace Resorts, a few independants
Westin Princeville. Especially if you're a golfer; amazing. Sunsets in Princeville are the best.

hangloose

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Vista (x2)
Marriott's Maui Ocean Club
Marriott's Ko Olina Beach Club
Marriott's Ocean Pointe
Comments above are accurate.
  • KBC -
    • Many love, many hate within TUG. Buildings and rooms are older. To some (like us) that is okay, but to others it is not. The villas are not up-to-par with other MVCI Hawaii villa quality. Where KBC excels is location (near airport, but not noisy), central location to travel other places on Kauai, large and well manicured grounds, huge pool, nice protected beach (good and bad), better weather than the North in general, some limited restaurants/shopping on-site, great views over Kalapaki beach/Nawaliwali Bay.
  • Princeville -
    • Resort and rooms are nicer, higher quality than KBC. Location in Princeville/Hanalei is beautiful...this area is really what reminds me of Kauai often. It is further away from other activities on the island, and it will rain more.
I think your decision really comes down to weather, villa quality and location (in conjunction with activities you plan do to).

Either way, Kauai is a gorgeous island. Get out and enjoy it!

zentraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Comments above are accurate.
  • KBC -
    • Many love, many hate within TUG. Buildings and rooms are older. To some (like us) that is okay, but to others it is not. The villas are not up-to-par with other MVCI Hawaii villa quality. Where KBC excels is location (near airport, but not noisy), central location to travel other places on Kauai, large and well manicured grounds, huge pool, nice protected beach (good and bad), better weather than the North in general, some limited restaurants/shopping on-site, great views over Kalapaki beach/Nawaliwali Bay.
  • Princeville -
    • Resort and rooms are nicer, higher quality than KBC. Location in Princeville/Hanalei is beautiful...this area is really what reminds me of Kauai often. It is further away from other activities on the island, and it will rain more.
I think your decision really comes down to weather, villa quality and location (in conjunction with activities you plan do to).

Either way, Kauai is a gorgeous island. Get out and enjoy it!
The other reason I like KBC is that there are places to walk to eat. Duke's is essentially on the grounds and there is a mall across the street and a short walk away that has several restaurants. You are pretty well marooned at the Westin Princeville; they have a restaurant that is OK, but everything else - food, shops -is a drive. And the art at KBC that is spread over the resort is amazing.

Weather can be rainy in Princeville but it is a beautiful resort and Hanalei is very special.

Last edited:

frytard

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
For the resort itself, I like Westin Princeville. It's much better resort than any other Marriott resorts in Kauai. The problem is the location not beachfront that people dislike.

I like Poipu. That's the reason I stayed at Marriott resorts in Kauai.

If you want to stay in Poipu and care about the resort condition, and you are ok with the smaller room, Sheraton Kauai could be a good alternative. Resort is new. Pool is new. It is 20 seconds walk cross street to hotel side of amenities, which are very nice. I love the beach in front of the pool and the hotel feel. The problem is room is smaller than Westin or Marriott.
Is Sheraton Kauai a higher rated resort than what the consensus is on tug2? I didnt include it in my OGS because it has low reviews compared to others. Should i include it you think as you said it was updated?

zentraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Is Sheraton Kauai a higher rated resort than what the consensus is on tug2? I didnt include it in my OGS because it has low reviews compared to others. Should i include it you think as you said it was updated?
I am staying there in April. I will report back.

rthib

TUG Member
Reaction score
We drove by there when we on Kauai. It is very generic Hotel look. Also, if you look at a Google map, you will see that a lot of the property is across the street from the beach area. And I like the beach over by the Marriott where the seals and turtle hang out. So not bad, but not as good in my opinion.

pinetree1

TUG Member
Reaction score
You could also try Marriott Waiohai Beach resort on the south side. I researched Marriott Waiohai, Marriott Kauai Beach and Westin Princeville and decide to exchange our Westin Princeville to Waiohai due to the location. In Northshore area, you have to drive a long way to reach Southshore and especially far from the West side of the island for canyon visit.

aland0524

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Maui Ocean Club - Napili Tower; Marriott Waiohai Beach Club; Westin Nanea

Here's a quick rundown.

Here's why we loved it:
- It's beach front

- The buildings are old

Here's what we liked:

Agree with @travelhacker and @hangloose. One other option you may want to consider in the mix is Kauai Lagoons (aka Kalani-puu). The villas are great - spacious, great views, etc. There are folks that don't quite like the small pool and the fact that it doesn't have a bar or restaurant on property or that you have to pay for parking but if you want a quiet vacation that is still close to a lot of places, this is a great option. (They also have this cool deal poolside around lunch time - they have free Hawaiian shaved ice, smoothies (breakfast time), and other goodies every day.) The staff is great. The golf course (Ocean Course at Hokuala, a Jack Nicklaus course that used to be called the Kauai Lagoons) is also great (although the Makai course in Princeville is hard to beat unless you can get an invitation to Kukui-ula's private golf course in Poipu).

We were at KBC, Kauai Lagoons and Waiohai from end Jan to early Feb this year. We've been to Princeville, but the one and only time we went, the weather was so bad (rained most of the time) that we spent most of our day in Poipu Beach anyway! The only time we go to Princeville is to hike the Kalalau Trailhead (I think that's what its called) or go to the Botanical Gardens (they have this great tour about how the ancient Hawaiians divided up the place from the top of the mountain to the sea amongst the various chieftains and their tribe, very interesting concept). BTW - the KBC pool is one of the largest in Hawaii. Whatever your decision - you're gonna be in Hawaii...so enjoy!

10spro

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott DSV-I (x3)
Marriott DC Points
Westin WKORV OFD
You guys really have me worried now about the Princeville location. We have stayed at KBC and really enjoyed the central location. I have Princeville booked mid-May. Since it's not technically summer, should I expect it to rain most of the time?

pchung6

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I've stayed on Waiohai and Sheraton Kauai. I personally like Sheraton more even with the room smaller. We stayed at studio just for 3 nights. Resort and room condition are way better than Waiohai. You get the new resort feel and it is just 1 minute walk to hotel side and amenities are very nice too. Beach in front of Sheraton is nicer, cleaner and spacer than Waiohai.

I really think Waiohai required renovation if they haven't done yet since Covid. View is comparable to Sheraton as no view. The room I stayed in Waiohai in 2019 was disgusting with weird smells. Air Condition was leaking and carpet was long gone due to leaking with bad smells made me wanted puke everyday. Toilet bowl was leaking and made noise every 10 minutes. I called for maintenance 3 times and they couldn't fix anything, and I went to home depot and bought a toilet bowl tank seal for $3 and fixed it for them. The pool and jacuzzi were old and had alga everywhere, and it was disgusting, if Marriott hasn't updated yet.

I will try Princeville next year. If it is up to Westin standard, I'm sure it is very nice. I'm just worried about the location and weather.

Last edited:

mjm1

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Resorts and Destination Club Points;
Westin Kierland Villas;
HGVC Flamingo & Blvd;
Hyatt Pinon Pointe
You guys really have me worried now about the Princeville location. We have stayed at KBC and really enjoyed the central location. I have Princeville booked mid-May. Since it's not technically summer, should I expect it to rain most of the time?
May should be a good time to be in Princeville. I wouldn’t be surprised if there is some rain, but hopefully at night, if any.

We will be there May 13-17 and then head to the Sheraton in Poipu for a few nights.

Best regards.

Mike

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
We didn't like Princeville's location. The grounds are lovely but it's on a bluff without direct access to the beach below. Most rooms do not have a view of the ocean, so you are looking at trees and buildings.

We enjoyed KBC even though they are converted hotel rooms. The views are amazing, and dining options on site or around the resort are many and fabulous. KBC's location is alot more central and less rainy. As long as you don't expect a full kitchen, or washer/dryer in the room, this would be my first choice.

I have not stayed at Waiohai nor Sheraton Kauai but Waiohai is definitely in my horizon when we go back to Kauai.

pchung6

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
We enjoyed KBC even though they are converted hotel rooms. The views are amazing, and dining options on site or around the resort are many and fabulous. KBC's location is alot more central and less rainy. As long as you don't expect a full kitchen, or washer/dryer in the room, this would be my first choice.
This is the main reason and my top complain about Marriott Hawaii resorts. Marriott's locations in Hawaii in both Kauai and Maui are the best. Without a full kitchen and washer in the room, it just makes the timeshare stay different. Also the subpar resort condition is another problem.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
This is the main reason and my top complain about Marriott Hawaii resorts. Marriott's locations in Hawaii in both Kauai and Maui are the best. Without a full kitchen and washer in the room, it just makes the timeshare stay different. Also the subpar resort condition is another problem.
I have not found "subpar resort condition" with the Marriott resorts in Kauai and Maui. We would rank Marriott Kauai our favorite Hawaii resort, and Ko Olina the other.

zentraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Please don't worry. Westin Princeville is lovely and the area peaceful but with lots to see and do. We will be in Kauai in mid-April and I never go to that island without trying to get a week on the north shore. It is not the south beach area vibe but there are a lot of very lovely beaches, gardens, hikes and there and the weather should be nice at that time of the year. Hanalei is great as is Kīlauea. Slow down, tune into what the area has to offer and you will love it.

Last edited:

pchung6

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I have not found "subpar resort condition" with the Marriott resorts in Kauai and Maui. We would rank Marriott Kauai our favorite Hawaii resort, and Ko Olina the other.
We've not visited KBC yet, but KBC looks good from tripadvisor. Just like Marriott Maui, i love the location and the resort. But without a full kitchen, it has keeping us away. Westin KOR or Nanea are my choices for Maui. We visited Waiohai in 2019, it was unbelievably old and bad shape. I hope Marriott has updated the Waiohai by now. Ko Olina is our favorite Marriott resort in Hawaii, and we will be there next week. Can't wait!

michael49

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Ocean Club, Waiohai Beach Club, Desert Springs II, Manor Club (Original Section), DC points
We've not visited KBC yet, but KBC looks good from tripadvisor. Just like Marriott Maui, i love the location and the resort. But without a full kitchen, it has keeping us away. Westin KOR or Nanea are my choices for Maui. We visited Waiohai in 2019, it was unbelievably old and bad shape. I hope Marriott has updated the Waiohai by now. Ko Olina is our favorite Marriott resort in Hawaii, and we will be there next week. Can't wait!
We just returned from Waohai after a two week stay (plus 2 days at Kauai Lagoons). We are owners at Waohai since about 2005. Other than the unusually poor weather this year, our stay was just us outstanding as previous stays. We had an excellent location in Hale 1, almost as good as last year's stay in Hale 8.

zentraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
We are just back from a week at the Sheraton Resort Poipu and I wrote a review about:
Sheraton Kauai Resort (Poipu) – April 14-21, 2023 One bedroom Unit Review | Timeshare Users Group Online Owner Forums (tugbbs.com)

As others have noted, the unit are small but that was only part of the issue. For me they are also poorly designed, feel cramped everywhere, have little storage, no screens on the doors to the lanai and have very little space for cooking. The resort is great, the area is beautiful and the staff are pleasant and helpful.

Last edited:

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
So do any of you know if Uber or Lyft actively operates in Kauai? I know they are active in Oahu but I have my doubts about Kauai. I am going in a few months and I personally would like NOT to have to rent a vehicle since I spend lots of time at the actual resorts.

I would use Uber or Lyft on rare occasions and I can save the headache of a high priced rental car.