• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Westin Nanea

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score
We stayed at Westin Nanea recently. The resort is good, the staff is very nice and hard working and I think the management does a good job navigating the Covid limitations. Yet the resort did not impress us. Were our expectations too high? Maybe, because it is category 8 Marriott and because it is very new (2017?), we thought it would be at the top of the resorts we have visited around the world, certainly not the case.
The Ka'anapali beach is beautiful. Although the sand is not white, the water has a very nice color, better in reality than in the pictures. We have seen a nice variety of fish while snorkeling right in front of the resort, the water was clear about half the time when we were there. I would give the location a nine or a ten, I am sure there are other great locations on the island but Ka'anapali beach had all we could ask for.
Maui is beautiful and we did see quite a bit. We did snorkel tours, road to Hanna, visited many beaches, we did surfing etc. For us, flying from the East coast it is quite an effort, even if it is very nice I do not think it is necessarily nicer than other places we can access easier so for sure we will not visit it regularly (sour grapes?), although we will try the other islands as well.
As I said the resort did not impress us. It feels very crowded, and it is not the number of people (although it was peak season), it is the way the resort is designed. There pools are small, they have a color I do not like (grey-green, the water almost looks dirty even it is not) and they are not positioned in a way to take advantage of the ocean views. Unless you are sitting at the 20 or so chairs closest to the beach, the views would be similar at any resort that is not ocean front. The zero entry pool is a flop IMO. The pebbles are an odd size and are hard to walk on the very small kids seemed to enjoy it though, I recognize it was not designed for adults. A second area with pool chairs is between the buildings in the back, the pools are very small, most of the area is occupied by a pond. I suspect they had to preserve it like that for environmental reasons, otherwise it is a complete waste of space. The rooms have everything you need, but the design is also not impressive at all, the colors are very dull, they look a lot better in the pictures. A problem now during covid is that to go up there are no stairs I could see. Everybody was taking the elevators; it was not uncommon to have 2 or 3 families at the same time. Every time we were in the elevator I could not help but think that as Canadians we were vaxxed AND tested, the others just vaxxed and we could have easily caught something. All good in the end.

Few of the restaurants we tried were very good. Duke’s not only had great food but also one of the best services I have ever had (the waiter was that good!). Café O’lea was also great, we went twice despite the 45 min drive. The food at Mamma’s fish house was very tasty but expensive compared to the others. We did not have a great table in terms of views, I thought we were paying for a location that we could not take advantage of.

The resort restaurants were a detractor from the whole experience. The menu small, the wait relatively long. Breakfast seemed more like a student cantina, you had to stay in line for the food then someone would bring boxes to the table. I wondered how come ALL the other restaurants on the island had proper dishes, cutlery, and normal service but not WNA. The BBQs were very busy in the evening as a consequence of that.

Last edited:

tstiv1996

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV-Bella
I mostly agree, it’s more in line with the category 7 products of WKV/WKVN. Nanea has a lot of corners that ruin the views unless you’re oceanfront. When we book Maui, we do oceanfront at WKV, or oceanview at WKVN. The OF units in WKV guarantee the best view, and WKVN is laid out well for the best OV views. The others have larger pools, and better resort layout in my opinion but kids will be everywhere regardless. Naneas biggest benefit to me is the ability to get a 3br space. Otherwise, we take our vacations to either of the other two.

Last edited:

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score
I mostly agree, it’s more in line with the category 7 products of WKV/WKVN. Nanea has a lot of corners that ruin the views unless you’re oceanfront. When we book Maui, we do oceanfront at WKV, or oceanview at WKVN. The OF units in WKV guarantee the best view, and WKVN is laid out well for the best OV views. The others have larger pools, and better resort layout in my opinion but kids will be everywhere regardless. Naneas biggest benefit to me is the ability to get a 3br space. Otherwise, we take our vacations to either of the other two.

I agree with you about the views from the room, I was referring more about the views when you are at the pool. If you have been to Westin Los Cabos or Westin Lagunamar Cancun for example, you can really enjoy the view of the ocean when you are at the pools, both from the pools and while sitting on the chair. Maybe at Nanea the topography did not help but my impression is that the architects did not even make an effort, there were few things they could have easily done.

1Kflyerguy

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Kings Land, Elara, and Marriott Destination Club Points
Its been a while since we last visited the Westin on Maui, but I agree the pool color felt like an odd choice to me..

As for ocean views from the pools, isn't there a sand berm or mound with grasses and plants that separates the beach walk from the beach by the Westin? In my experience many of the pools at Hawaii resorts have limited or even no view of the ocean. They don't seem to build right on the beach like in Mexico, which I assume is regulation or code requirement.

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score
Its been a while since we last visited the Westin on Maui, but I agree the pool color felt like an odd choice to me..

As for ocean views from the pools, isn't there a sand berm or mound with grasses and plants that separates the beach walk from the beach by the Westin? In my experience many of the pools at Hawaii resorts have limited or even no view of the ocean. They don't seem to build right on the beach like in Mexico, which I assume is regulation or code requirement.

I agree, this is why I said the topography may not help. However, I did not feel that they made an effort either, they could have made it more attractive with some simple solutions

The Colorado Kid

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Riverfront
Christie Lodge
Apollo Park
Grand Timber Lodge
Indian Palms
Massanutten
Park Regency
Valdoro Mountain Lodge
Marriott Surfwatch
We stayed at Westin Nanea recently. The resort is good, the staff is very nice and hard working and I think the management does a good job navigating the Covid limitations. Yet the resort did not impress us. Were our expectations too high? Maybe, because it is category 8 Marriott and because it is very new (2017?), we thought it would be at the top of the resorts we have visited around the world, certainly not the case.
The Ka'anapali beach is beautiful. Although the sand is not white, the water has a very nice color, better in reality than in the pictures. We have seen a nice variety of fish while snorkeling right in front of the resort, the water was clear about half the time when we were there. I would give the location a nine or a ten, I am sure there are other great locations on the island but Ka'anapali beach had all we could ask for.
Maui is beautiful and we did see quite a bit. We did snorkel tours, road to Hanna, visited many beaches, we did surfing etc. For us, flying from the East coast it is quite an effort, even if it is very nice I do not think it is necessarily nicer than other places we can access easier so for sure we will not visit it regularly (sour grapes?), although we will try the other islands as well.
As I said the resort did not impress us. It feels very crowded, and it is not the number of people (although it was peak season), it is the way the resort is designed. There pools are small, they have a color I do not like (grey-green, the water almost looks dirty even it is not) and they are not positioned in a way to take advantage of the ocean views. Unless you are sitting at the 20 or so chairs closest to the beach, the views would be similar at any resort that is not ocean front. The zero entry pool is a flop IMO. The pebbles are an odd size and are hard to walk on the very small kids seemed to enjoy it though, I recognize it was not designed for adults. A second area with pool chairs is between the buildings in the back, the pools are very small, most of the area is occupied by a pond. I suspect they had to preserve it like that for environmental reasons, otherwise it is a complete waste of space. The rooms have everything you need, but the design is also not impressive at all, the colors are very dull, they look a lot better in the pictures. A problem now during covid is that to go up there are no stairs I could see. Everybody was taking the elevators; it was not uncommon to have 2 or 3 families at the same time. Every time we were in the elevator I could not help but think that as Canadians we were vaxxed AND tested, the others just vaxxed and we could have easily caught something. All good in the end.

Few of the restaurants we tried were very good. Duke’s not only had great food but also one of the best services I have ever had (the waiter was that good!). Café O’lea was also great, we went twice despite the 45 min drive. The food at Mamma’s fish house was very tasty but expensive compared to the others. We did not have a great table in terms of views, I thought we were paying for a location that we could not take advantage of.

The resort restaurants were a detractor from the whole experience. The menu small, the wait relatively long. Breakfast seemed more like a student cantina, you had to stay in line for the food then someone would bring boxes to the table. I wondered how come ALL the other restaurants on the island had proper dishes, cutlery, and normal service but not WNA. The BBQs were very busy in the evening as a consequence of that.
@DannyTS Thanks so very much for this detailed review! We are going to Maui next summer for the first time ever and taking DW's parents and sister. Definitely looking for the wow factor and based on your review...the Westin Nanea does not have it.

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
My granddaughter was 3, almost 4, when we went to Westin Nanea in March. She didn't like the gravel in the pool. She is a swimmer, loves the water, and when she saw the slide going into the gravel area she was at first excited, but then she was very disappointed when she hit the water and the gravel. Her mama had to go in an get her because she let out an ear-piercing scream when she hit the gravel. It's always interesting on vacation with our little Bella.

Exchangers never get the great views, and of course they shouldn't. But our daughter's unit was close to the gym, and before 6 AM the door slamming going into the gym started. She was not happy about it at first, but then she thought, "I am on Maui, and this is a beautiful unit, so I will enjoy it and get up early every morning."

The kitchen cabinets are odd, kind of like office furniture cubicles. :)

Tucsonadventurer

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Pinon Pointe, Hyatt Beach House, Westin Kierland
We are not a huge fan of Nanea but when we go with our 2 and 4 yr old grandkids it works well. They love the pools and our kids love late night walks to Duke's for Hula Pie. When we go our selves we prefer North and our Hyatt timeshare

The Colorado Kid

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Riverfront
Christie Lodge
Apollo Park
Grand Timber Lodge
Indian Palms
Massanutten
Park Regency
Valdoro Mountain Lodge
Marriott Surfwatch
We are not a huge fan of Nanea but when we go with our 2 and 4 yr old grandkids it works well. They love the pools and our kids love late night walks to Duke's for Hula Pie. When we go our selves we prefer North and our Hyatt timeshare
@Tucsonadventurer Is that HKB Hyatt Residence Club Maui, Ka'anapali Beach? II rates it as Elite...would you agree?

Tucsonadventurer

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
@Tucsonadventurer Is that HKB Hyatt Residence Club Maui, Ka'anapali Beach? II rates it as Elite...would you agree?
Yes. All of the 2 and 3 bedrooms are ocean front with extremely large lanai's .The sliding doors to the lanai open the width of the living room so it is true indoor outdoor living. Staff are wonderful , appliances are top end It is my favorite place to stay on Maui. There are also 10 ocean front 1 bedrooms

darius

TUG Member
Reaction score
The Oceanfront units are the only ones our family wants to stay in, and we truly love the location, resort, and enjoy our visits. Our favorite place to stay in Maui is this resort, with usually a few nights (super expensive) in the Wailea side at the end of our trip.

capjak

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC BC & SSR, Marriott GV+MVC Pts, WKORV & SVV, HGVC Flamingo
I was at HKB Hyatt Residence Club Maui August 7 week, in a 2 bedroom Oceanfront 8th Floor. IMO the rooms need to be redone, they show the wear at least in the unit we had which was an accessible unit (we stayed previously 3 years ago and thought it was top notch). I discussed this during our sales presentation and the sales person stated that they would be doing a complete refresh soon... The balconies are awesome and you can always find a pool chair so that is nice, I think the location is busy if that is what you want. Unlike WKORV-North there is no 6 ft between chairs, also unlike the WKORV the chairs have no padding/cushions.

We also statyed at our home resort August 14 (2+ weeks), WKORV-North and the rooms were refreshed and the pool chairs had cushions but it was a chore to get one near the pool due to people getting up at 6am to reserve them, as they have a 6 ft rule between chairs so they moved most chairs to the grass.

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
I know a lot of people really only want Westin/ Marriott for their stays, but for us, Hono Koa oceanfront is our absolute favorite resort to stay on Maui, but we own oceanfront, and there are only four units. I am trying to get more of those oceanfront units via resale because I want a total of at least 5 weeks. The cost per week is crazy for maintenance fees, and I think the furniture needs replacing. Our fees were $2,150 for 2021, and it will be up for 2022.

grrrah

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Nanea
SVV - Key West
Nice fair review. We went in July and agree for the most part.

The smaller pools are "splash" pools. I think the design intent (not that I agree with it) is for more adult use/sunbathers that only want a quick cooling dip vs. a large resort pool, and to make these and much of the area feel like you are around a tropical watering hole instead of a resort pool. The main pool's color I think is also supposed to mimic a natural pond. Yeah, the restaurants were on the extreme end of the Covid protocals compared to WKORV and WKORVN (we also stayed at North), that we didn't even try to eat at Nanea except for the shave ice spot.

Tucsonadventurer

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I know a lot of people really only want Westin/ Marriott for their stays, but for us, Hono Koa oceanfront is our absolute favorite resort to stay on Maui, but we own oceanfront, and there are only four units. I am trying to get more of those oceanfront units via resale because I want a total of at least 5 weeks. The cost per week is crazy for maintenance fees, and I think the furniture needs replacing. Our fees were $2,150 for 2021, and it will be up for 2022.
We stayed at Hona Koa with hotel points for 2 nights as an add on to our Westin and Hyatt weeks. We had a tired non updated room facing construction and found the pools to be extremely crowded. I'm sure as owners it is a different experience.

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
We stayed at Hona Koa with hotel points for 2 nights as an add on to our Westin and Hyatt weeks. We had a tired non updated room facing construction and found the pools to be extremely crowded. I'm sure as owners it is a different experience.
Oh yeah, oceanfront is different, and the construction is done. There are only 4 oceanfront units, and only 3 that are Saturday check-ins, which is what we book. It's tough to get our February-March weeks.

Bill R

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Ka'anapali OR North, Westin St. John
We toured Nanea when it was being built. It is nice, but we also were not impressed and prefer WKORVN. We thought the same things about the Ocean View rooms and overall design; we are Ocean Front owners and like that much better than we would at Nanea.
We stayed at WKORVN late May/early June, and while we understand the COVID issues, we also thought that they were really failing in many ways. We stayed 5 nights after this stay at the Wailea Beach Resort - also a Marriott property - and they were doing FULL service everywhere. Daily room cleanings if you wanted, no take out boxes to eat your food from in the restaurants, etc. etc. And the pool chair situation at WKORVN was ridiculous, worst we have ever seen, but we all know how overrun Hawaii/Maui has been this summer. Because I was reading all the reviews on TripAdvisor before we went in May, I called Owner Services and complained in advance, and even spoke with the resort manager on the phone. They did the best they could, I guess, but it was just not the same experience we had at the Wailea Beach Resort. We saw the service issues all over the island, but why did the Westin villas have such employment and service issues and the Wailea Beach Resort not, or at least not be able to overcome them like the Wailea Beach Resort clearly could? It was extremely disappointing, especially as an owner there.

echino

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HYN HCC HWP HYP
HRA KAN WSJ WKV WLR SVV
MCV MKO MM1 MPU MSK
GP7
Valdoro
HHV Lagoon
We toured Nanea when it was being built. It is nice, but we also were not impressed and prefer WKORVN. We thought the same things about the Ocean View rooms and overall design; we are Ocean Front owners and like that much better than we would at Nanea.
We stayed at WKORVN late May/early June, and while we understand the COVID issues, we also thought that they were really failing in many ways. We stayed 5 nights after this stay at the Wailea Beach Resort - also a Marriott property - and they were doing FULL service everywhere. Daily room cleanings if you wanted, no take out boxes to eat your food from in the restaurants, etc. etc. And the pool chair situation at WKORVN was ridiculous, worst we have ever seen, but we all know how overrun Hawaii/Maui has been this summer. Because I was reading all the reviews on TripAdvisor before we went in May, I called Owner Services and complained in advance, and even spoke with the resort manager on the phone. They did the best they could, I guess, but it was just not the same experience we had at the Wailea Beach Resort. We saw the service issues all over the island, but why did the Westin villas have such employment and service issues and the Wailea Beach Resort not, or at least not be able to overcome them like the Wailea Beach Resort clearly could? It was extremely disappointing, especially as an owner there.

There is no incentive to provide any good service at timeshares, since they get your maintenance fees no matter what. Hotels, on the other hand, have to compete.

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN and Lagunamar
Funnily enough I stayed there in March and July and felt extremely grateful to the staff at WKORVN and other establishments who were clearly trying to do their best in what have been extremely difficult times.

capjak

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC BC & SSR, Marriott GV+MVC Pts, WKORV & SVV, HGVC Flamingo
There is no incentive to provide any good service at timeshares, since they get your maintenance fees no matter what. Hotels, on the other hand, have to compete.
Stayed at Hyatt Residence Club and WKORV-North (where we own) in August 2021, Hyatt had full service daily cleaning as well as plenty of pool chairs (not socially distanced), while WKORV-North had no cleaning service (except before/after your stay) and pool chairs near the pool were hard to come by (they moved majority to the grass). Also the chairs on the grass were without cushions (that changed the last few days we were there guess enough people complained).

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
And honestly, I don't like Soleil Management at all. Our fees are ridiculous for a 2 bedroom unit, even though it's oceanfront and we love that view and our lanai.

The staff onsite is pretty good. The housekeepers do a pretty good job. Donna can be snarky, however. She is the one in the front office, but Rick has made friends with her, so they banter back and forth a lot. She was shocked to find out how much we pay in maintenance fees for our Koa units, which for 2021 is $2,150 and goes up $100-200 every single year. They are nuts.

Donna made a comment about how she always worked at 5 star hotels before this job and that the units don't measure up to the standards she feels is necessary, so the new Hawaii manager for Soleil is working on updating units. Sands of Kahana had a great update, which she loves. I like it too, but the units still sit empty at SOK during summer with lack of AC, and of course Hono Koa doesn't have AC either. It's become a huge problem for anything July-September.

Soleil Management/ Kainoa Properties does a poor job of selling RCI Points with unused Hono Koa units. Wyndham could do a GREAT job selling Maui, they have nothing at all on the island. I wish they would see that and offer Soleil big bucks for it. I keep hoping. Stable fees, more people paying fees, people exchanging in that love their home resort, it would be fantastic.

echino

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HYN HCC HWP HYP
HRA KAN WSJ WKV WLR SVV
MCV MKO MM1 MPU MSK
GP7
Valdoro
HHV Lagoon
Stayed at Hyatt Residence Club and WKORV-North (where we own) in August 2021, Hyatt had full service daily cleaning as well as plenty of pool chairs (not socially distanced), while WKORV-North had no cleaning service (except before/after your stay) and pool chairs near the pool were hard to come by (they moved majority to the grass). Also the chairs on the grass were without cushions (that changed the last few days we were there guess enough people complained).

Hyatt is still in active developer sales phase, while WKORVN is long sold out. This may have something to do with the service.

Tucsonadventurer

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt is still in active developer sales phase, while WKORVN is long sold out. This may have something to do with the service.
Also it is smaller and more personable as a result but also more difficult to exchange into.