• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Westin Lagunamar

Sea Six

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Regency - Marco Island
Lagunamar - Cancun
Vistana Villages Key West (2) - Orlando
I'm at Lagunamar now, and not experiencing any problems with the Wifi connection. I am streaming video thru my iPhone to the LG TV, watching NetFlix, HULU, and DISH TV with no buffering delays. Steady streaming. The local channels here are an assortment of English with Spanish subtitles, Spanish with no subtitles, or just news channels. Classic example of 39 channels and nothing to watch!

jarta

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm at Lagunamar now, and not experiencing any problems with the Wifi connection. I am streaming video thru my iPhone to the LG TV, watching NetFlix, HULU, and DISH TV with no buffering delays. Steady streaming. The local channels here are an assortment of English with Spanish subtitles, Spanish with no subtitles, or just news channels. Classic example of 39 channels and nothing to watch!

Broadcasting the local Cancun channels in Spanish is very thoughtless of those locals. Broadcasting in Mexico should be tailored for gringo tastes. :rolleyes:

You are quite lucky to be able to do all that steady streaming. Salty

heathpack

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt High Sierra and Highland Inn
Disney’s Grand Californian and Hilton Head Island
Marriott Barony Beach and Mountainside
MVC Points
Sheraton Broadway Plantation

Hi Sea Six, looks like we just missed you, we left Lagunamar today. Our wifi was so bad as to be effectively non-existent. We were in building 6, pretty far from the wifi towers. We had perfect wifi in the lobby waiting for our owner update, frustratingly inconsistent wifi by the pool, and decent wifi in one particular spot on the beach.

We commented to the TS saleswoman on the bad wifi & she responded back, "yes, it's really terrible."

Today we checked out a day early to move down to the Grand Luxxe (a planned early departure, not a dissatisfaction thing). The guy checking us out commented on us leaving early. I told him we were checking out because of the bad wifi. He looked alarmed until I added "just kidding". But the he did say, "I'd believe it".

I definitely got the impression the wifi was rather an infamous problem amongst the staff- I'm sure they hear many complaints per day.

So count yourself lucky you can use your wifi. We were very frustrated by it- I am veterinarian and need to be in touch with my office on a daily basis.

Will post a full review when we are back. We loved the beach & ocean swimming (maybe you saw me bobbing around in my blue inner tube), but the resort left us a little cold. I think we'd go back but not 100% sure.

Enjoy your stay!

H

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
So, Lagunamar has really bad wifi and barely warm pools. At least the showers don't leak any longer, from what I hear.

This resort is still on my do not visit list.

heathpack

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Points
So, Lagunamar has really bad wifi and barely warm pools. At least the showers don't leak any longer, from what I hear.

This resort is still on my do not visit list.

I LOVE swimming in the ocean in Cancun, so beachfront Cancun is very, very appealing to me. But even we're not sure we'd return.

Excerpts from the TUG review I just submitted:

Westin Lagunamar Review

This is a lovely oceanfront resort but the truth is, it left us a bit cold. Would we return? Maybe, but mostly because our non-AI choices in Cancun have recently become more limited.

The units themselves are quite nice. We were in a 2BR unit even though it was just two of us. There are 2BR each with one heavenly bed and nice linens. One small living room with tight seating for 4 (3 on a small sofa and 1 in a chair)- perfectly adequate for us but would have been tight for any group larger than 2...

...Great beach with loungers, palapas and umbrellas. Unfortunately the palapas (which we prefer) are placed close together, making the beach less-than-relaxing unless you like inhaling other guests' smoke, listening to their static-y radio, or hearing their conversation. We eventually found that choosing a palapa at the far end of the resort worked well...

So what left us cold? Three things: the food, the service, the wifi.

First the wifi- I need to access email for work purposes several times a day. We were in building 6 and the wifi is so poor that it should essentially be considered non-existent...Quite annoying was the fact that you'd be unable to use the Internet when your device would indicate that you were connected with good signal strength. So you would waste tons of time thinking you were connected, trying to retrieve or send an email or load a web page, only to have your activity fail because of an inability to connect to the server. We contacted the front desk, but of course they could do nothing about the problem as it is one of inadequate infrastructure.

The second issue was the service. We really like Mexico and have spent a month vacationing there in the past 2 years. So we fully understand service differences between the US and Mexico, but in the past we've really enjoyed excellent service at Royal Resorts, Welk Sirenia del Mar and Grand Mayan. Here at Lagunamar, every interaction with staff seemed a bit trying...One example: When we ate at the breakfast buffet, we had to ask three times for coffee and then when we got back from the buffet found another party had been seated at our table. I ordered chilaquiles with eggs at the omelette station; the plate was handed to me with no eggs & when I pointed this out, the cook could not understand me. No big deal, I'll get some off the buffet- nope, the buffet is out of eggs. Seeking a waiter, he requests eggs for me from the omelette cook who clearly says he is too busy. Eventually the waiter brings out eggs (relatively quickly), but it would have been preferable to have them with the chilaquiles...A very long wait for an opportunity to request the check. The waiter would even visit adjacent tables but not so much as glance our way. Continuing the theme of waiters not glancing our way, there was a pool bar waiter who would make his rounds very rarely through the beach area. But he would walk through the area looking straight ahead- not scanning the loungers for thirsty patrons but instead taking orders only from those who happened to be in his path...It is noteworthy that in 5 days, we only managed on two occasions to obtain a drink on the beach by the normal mechanism of a waiter approaching us.

And finally the food- it wasn't bad (except for the Hawaiian pizza), it just wasn't good or particularly interesting...Caesar salad, hamburgers, chicken fingers, club sandwich, tacos and the like. Unlike the food at Westin Kierland, which we thought was interesting & excellent.

Read the full review in the TUG Review section if you like.

H

Last edited:

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Heathpack,
I am very sorry to hear that you did not feel like you had a good experience. Poor vs. good customer service make a whole of of difference to a vacation. When I last stayed at WLR I was only there for 6 days and ate at the hotel every morning. There was a waiter who was there for 5 of the 6 days who took care of all of our needs. He was super attentive, he ordered eggs from the omelette station, brought food and drinks from the buffet bar to our table for tasting and for additional servings without even been asked. The one day when he was not working we were seated in an area where we were not too visible to the waiters and we could not even get a waiter to look in our direction for coffee and such.

We thought the food at the hotel was good during breakfast but so-so for dinner.

My room experience was not good - poor wi-fi (we have to execute payroll when we are traveling so that was a challenge), poor housekeeping and maintenance. The land line was just as bad for us as the wi-fi.

Still, I look forward to returning because of the great pool, great view, that one waiter who may no longer be there and great restaurants in the hotel zone.

SP

zentraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Four Seasons Residence Club
I'm at Lagunamar now, and not experiencing any problems with the Wifi connection.

What floor were you on? We were on 8 and it was really weak. It was fine in the lobby.

Thought pool temps were just fine; certainly not too cold. Also thought service was very good for everything we did or needed. Staff very attentive. Overall really enjoyed our week here.

Larry

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi Sea Six, looks like we just missed you, we left Lagunamar today. Our wifi was so bad as to be effectively non-existent. We were in building 6, pretty far from the wifi towers. We had perfect wifi in the lobby waiting for our owner update, frustratingly inconsistent wifi by the pool, and decent wifi in one particular spot on the beach.

We commented to the TS saleswoman on the bad wifi & she responded back, "yes, it's really terrible."

Today we checked out a day early to move down to the Grand Luxxe (a planned early departure, not a dissatisfaction thing). The guy checking us out commented on us leaving early. I told him we were checking out because of the bad wifi. He looked alarmed until I added "just kidding". But the he did say, "I'd believe it".

I definitely got the impression the wifi was rather an infamous problem amongst the staff- I'm sure they hear many complaints per day.

So count yourself lucky you can use your wifi. We were very frustrated by it- I am veterinarian and need to be in touch with my office on a daily basis.

Will post a full review when we are back. We loved the beach & ocean swimming (maybe you saw me bobbing around in my blue inner tube), but the resort left us a little cold. I think we'd go back but not 100% sure.

Enjoy your stay!

H

We left a week ago on Sunday and found wifi in room to be OK early morning and late at night and non-existent any other time. Wifi at Pool and beach was pretty good.

Don't know how far we were from tower but we were in last two BR unit in Building 7 close to building 8.

Loved the resort!!!!!:cheer::hi:

Larry

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I LOVE swimming in the ocean in Cancun, so beachfront Cancun is very, very appealing to me. But even we're not sure we'd return.

Excerpts from the TUG review I just submitted:

Westin Lagunamar Review

This is a lovely oceanfront resort but the truth is, it left us a bit cold. Would we return? Maybe, but mostly because our non-AI choices in Cancun have recently become more limited.

The units themselves are quite nice. We were in a 2BR unit even though it was just two of us. There are 2BR each with one heavenly bed and nice linens. One small living room with tight seating for 4 (3 on a small sofa and 1 in a chair)- perfectly adequate for us but would have been tight for any group larger than 2...

...Great beach with loungers, palapas and umbrellas. Unfortunately the palapas (which we prefer) are placed close together, making the beach less-than-relaxing unless you like inhaling other guests' smoke, listening to their static-y radio, or hearing their conversation. We eventually found that choosing a palapa at the far end of the resort worked well...

So what left us cold? Three things: the food, the service, the wifi.

First the wifi- I need to access email for work purposes several times a day. We were in building 6 and the wifi is so poor that it should essentially be considered non-existent...Quite annoying was the fact that you'd be unable to use the Internet when your device would indicate that you were connected with good signal strength. So you would waste tons of time thinking you were connected, trying to retrieve or send an email or load a web page, only to have your activity fail because of an inability to connect to the server. We contacted the front desk, but of course they could do nothing about the problem as it is one of inadequate infrastructure.

The second issue was the service. We really like Mexico and have spent a month vacationing there in the past 2 years. So we fully understand service differences between the US and Mexico, but in the past we've really enjoyed excellent service at Royal Resorts, Welk Sirenia del Mar and Grand Mayan. Here at Lagunamar, every interaction with staff seemed a bit trying...One example: When we ate at the breakfast buffet, we had to ask three times for coffee and then when we got back from the buffet found another party had been seated at our table. I ordered chilaquiles with eggs at the omelette station; the plate was handed to me with no eggs & when I pointed this out, the cook could not understand me. No big deal, I'll get some off the buffet- nope, the buffet is out of eggs. Seeking a waiter, he requests eggs for me from the omelette cook who clearly says he is too busy. Eventually the waiter brings out eggs (relatively quickly), but it would have been preferable to have them with the chilaquiles...A very long wait for an opportunity to request the check. The waiter would even visit adjacent tables but not so much as glance our way. Continuing the theme of waiters not glancing our way, there was a pool bar waiter who would make his rounds very rarely through the beach area. But he would walk through the area looking straight ahead- not scanning the loungers for thirsty patrons but instead taking orders only from those who happened to be in his path...It is noteworthy that in 5 days, we only managed on two occasions to obtain a drink on the beach by the normal mechanism of a waiter approaching us.

And finally the food- it wasn't bad (except for the Hawaiian pizza), it just wasn't good or particularly interesting...Caesar salad, hamburgers, chicken fingers, club sandwich, tacos and the like. Unlike the food at Westin Kierland, which we thought was interesting & excellent.

Read the full review in the TUG Review section if you like.

H

Sorry to hear about your service issues and we found the service to be outstanding!!!! We have also been to several grand Mayan resorts and found staff to be far nicer at the Westin Lagunamar. They really went out of their way to accomodate us and I intend on writing a detailed TUG review. Front desk was awesome, Pool and beach attendants were superior and at first refused my tipping them but then appreciated what I gave them. Waiters were all fantastic at restaurants on property.

We also have been to the Royal resorts and although their service was good it was nothing to rave about and although I enjoyed both of our stays I think their overall reviews are way over rated.

We will definetly go back to the Westin. I already commented regarding wifi shortcomings so will not repeat myself.:cheer:

heathpack

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Points
Sorry to hear about your service issues and we found the service to be outstanding!!!! We have also been to several grand Mayan resorts and found staff to be far nicer at the Westin Lagunamar. They really went out of their way to accomodate us and I intend on writing a detailed TUG review. Front desk was awesome, Pool and beach attendants were superior and at first refused my tipping them but then appreciated what I gave them. Waiters were all fantastic at restaurants on property.

We also have been to the Royal resorts and although their service was good it was nothing to rave about and although I enjoyed both of our stays I think their overall reviews are way over rated.

We will definetly go back to the Westin. I already commented regarding wifi shortcomings so will not repeat myself.:cheer:

Glad you had a great experience. It seems like its maybe a bit hit-or-miss on the service. We were there on an XYZ, so the value was great.

We are at the Grand Luxxe now and the service in fabulous.

H

fasha39

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV,
We are here now in building 14 - internet is ok, Pablo our concierge (who is awesome) acknowledged it is "intermittent" but no issues for us. We have eaten in Oceano a few times and found the service to be very good. The staff in the swim up bar, Westin Workout etc. have all been very friendly and attentive. Insofar as the pool temps. <FULL DISCLOSURE> we live north of the 49th parallel and found them to be temperate, not warm but not cold. Is our blood thicker?…….I will say the hot tubs aren't hot but warm.

Sea Six

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Lagunamar - Cancun
What floor were you on? We were on 8 and it was really weak. It was fine in the lobby.

Thought pool temps were just fine; certainly not too cold. Also thought service was very good for everything we did or needed. Staff very attentive. Overall really enjoyed our week here.

I'm on floor 8 building 6, and the wifi is just fine - consistantly good enough to stream video. The food and the service have all been very good. The service was a bit slow at Duna but the poolside bar service has been better than anything I ever got at St John. The water is cool, but it is December. My only issue has been trying to get the cheddar cheese I ordered on my pre-stock. We are apparently waiting for a delivery to the store.

BLUE AYES

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton VV KW; Sheraton VV Bella; Westin Lagunamar x 3 (51 & 52) ; Westin Kierland;
Plat. for Life
Did they change out the top floor slat balcony roof for a solid roof ? ( it rained om the balcony)

Be there for two weeks starting 12/22.

Sea Six

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Lagunamar - Cancun
I have a solid roof over the balcony. They all look the same to me. I guess that was fixed.