• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Westin Kierland Villas

AROMANO

TUG Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know what Starwood (developer) is asking for a prime time 2bdrm lockout at the Westin Kierland Villas? This is for 148,000 options and 72,000 starpoints.

What would a good resale price for this property be right now?

Thanks

Anthony

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Do a search for "Kierland" on this board and you will come up with lots of threads on this topic.

stevens397

TUG Member
Reaction score
I believe that the current developer price is approx $34,000. In terms of resale, check out TUG classified, Redweek.com, and MyResortNetwork.com.

zinger1457

Reaction score
AROMANO said:
Does anyone know what Starwood (developer) is asking for a prime time 2bdrm lockout at the Westin Kierland Villas? This is for 148,000 options and 72,000 starpoints.

What would a good resale price for this property be right now?

Thanks

Anthony

I went through a tour at the Westin Kierland a couple months ago and they were asking $32K, and these were starting in 2007, nothing left for platinum in 2006. They were really pushing hard to sell the other seasons, especially gold. You should be able to find a platinum resale for ~$20K. The extra benefits (StarPoints) that come with buying direct aren't worth $12K in my opinion.

shockdoct

TUG Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know what they were asking for a 2 BR Platinum EOY at Kierlands, including bonus starpoints. My parents are hesistant about buying a resale and would prefer to buy from the developer, but they quoted us at 21k and 60k bonus starpoints. It seems nowhere near the 50% off we are currently being offered at Maui (44.9k EY and 22.5k EOY and 80K bonus starpoints PLUS the 80k StarPoints we can purchase for $1675), granted the Maui property is 2008 usage and the Kierland is 2007 usage.

The MFs for EOY at Maui is 950 and Kierland 617, but it doesn't seem worth it if you buy from the developer. I am trying to convince them to buy a resale, but they don't think its safe! help!

formerhater

Reaction score
The 1/2 off for EOY for owners seemed to only apply to Maui when I was looking into Kierland a couple of months ago. They almost laughed when I asked about a similar deal. At any rate, nice deal in Maui...

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
shockdoct said:
The MFs for EOY at Maui is 950 and Kierland 617, but it doesn't seem worth it if you buy from the developer. I am trying to convince them to buy a resale, but they don't think its safe! help!

Do they know that a timeshare purchase can go through a title company, just like buying a house? All they have to do is write it into the deal with the seller and pay for it. The money and all docs go through the title company - it's no different than buying a home from someone, and I'm sure they've done that with confidence.

shockdoct

TUG Member
Reaction score
I will talk to them, but they seem intent on buying a developer unit for the bonus StarPoints and ability to convert to StarPoints (do not travel with their respective jobs and go on pretty much zero vacations outside of TS travel, so tough to accumulate on AMEX buying groceries and paying bills) if they wanted to.

I called Kierland and got the prices for some units there and was not impressed. Gave me $21k for a 2 BR Platinum EOY (2007 usage, but only around 40% discount from reported $34k EY) and only 60k Bonus StarPoints OR the option to purchase another 1 BR Premium Platinum EY for $20.9k with 80k Bonus StarPoints (would also make us 3 Star Elite coupled with the other 1 BR Premium Plat) and save us $69 a year in SVN fee and allow conversion to StarPoints every year. This conversion would lead to 77k every year (if they wanted). Neither deal seems that great especially considering WKORVN is offering the option to buy StarPoints.

Another thing I am looking at is resale value, the deal from Maui is amazing considering it seems WKORV (old) resales are going for the same price as what the developer is offering for new units (albiet Island view vs Ocean) where Kierland is automatically going to lose resale value the minute they sign and walk away.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
shockdoct said:
Another thing I am looking at is resale value, the deal from Maui is amazing considering it seems WKORV (old) resales are going for the same price as what the developer is offering for new units (albiet Island view vs Ocean) where Kierland is automatically going to lose resale value the minute they sign and walk away.

So will the WKORVN - just because the developer can sell them for $44K doesn't mean an owner can. :D

I really don't feel that you can compare the perceived value of an ocean view unit, to an island view unit. Especially when island view can mean "Highway View." I think you'd have a real tough time selling an island view resale for $44K. Especially, when there are Ocean View units at the "old resort" for $40K or less, on the resale market.

Last edited:

TheUnitrep

TUG Member
Reaction score
DeniseM said:
...Especially when island view can mean "Highway View."

Denise --

Based on the design of WKORVN, none of the units have a "Highway View" or a parking lot view.

I truly believe you can't compare the island view units at the two resorts.

I do agree that re-sales of WKORVN island view units at 44K is virtually impossible. In fact, I think it would be highly unlikely to get the 22K we paid for the WKORVN EOY IV unit in July.

Jerry

Revelinit

TUG Member
Reaction score
IV vs OV vs OF

Based on what was presented to me in November at a WKORVN presentation was that only Ocean Front and Island View were being sold. This makes sense if you think that they learned from the complaints that some WKORV Ocean View units have poor/minimal views of the ocean.

The Island View units at WKORVN will be able to see the ocean, just not a good view of it. . . if I'm not mistaken all units are now oriented so that the balconies face the ocean side of the resort.

formerhater

Reaction score
Revelinit said:
Based on what was presented to me in November at a WKORVN presentation was that only Ocean Front and Island View were being sold. This makes sense if you think that they learned from the complaints that some WKORV Ocean View units have poor/minimal views of the ocean.

The Island View units at WKORVN will be able to see the ocean, just not a good view of it. . . if I'm not mistaken all units are now oriented so that the balconies face the ocean side of the resort.

Based on what we were told in October, this is my understanding too.