• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Westin Cancun Timeshare and Westin Lagunamar

gaile

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have a 2 bedroom Westin Cancun timeshare for November that I am now thinking of cancelling. Not the Lagunamar but the hotel/timeshare complex. Anyone there recently? Can you tell me what you think? Also have a second week at the Westin Lagunamar. Same situation. Am concerned about the violence and frankly whether there is enough to do there for 2 weeks. Have been to Cancun before but not these resorts. Thanks

goaliedave

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Raintree, Diamond (bought by Hilton), Shell (bought by Wyndham), Sheraton (bought by Marriott), Palace Resorts, a few independants
Why would you book somewhere that you don't know what you'll do when there? You did it backwards. Do some research then decide.

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Village, Wyndham, WorldMark, Vistana, Vidanta, Flora Farms, HGVC Max, and some independents
Why would you book somewhere that you don't know what you'll do when there? You did it backwards. Do some research then decide.

The beauty of leisure travel is that it’s available to a wide spectrum of people with different perspectives, including how much research and thought they put into picking places to see. There are many places I keep going back to because I’m quite familiar with them and love going there, but I do try to visit new places and new resorts to see if I can find others for a bit of variety. Sometimes I get a lot of research in before making a decision, sometimes not - I’ve even heard of folks just randomly picking destinations at a train station while carrying a backpack. It takes all kinds and folks that travel differently than I do aren’t wrong for making decisions their own way. I might think they’re a bit weird at times, but they aren’t wrong.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
What exactly are you looking to cancel? Lagunamar is a hotel/timeshare complex. All the units there are timeshare but they rent them out on Marriott.com too. As far as going to Cancun, generally it is safe. If you are only moving within the hotel zone, you won't see much. Yes, there. have been reports of some gang violence now in the hotel zone, but a situation of it impacting you directly is rare. There is risk anywhere you travel in the world. Even in the United States.

There can be as much or as little as you want to do. You can sit around the pools and dine out or if you want more to do there are many otpoins. You can book excursions to ruins, snorkel off Puerto Morelos, go to Isla Mujeres.

byeloe

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have a 2 bedroom Westin Cancun timeshare for November that I am now thinking of cancelling. Not the Lagunamar but the hotel/timeshare complex. Anyone there recently? Can you tell me what you think? Also have a second week at the Westin Lagunamar. Same situation. Am concerned about the violence and frankly whether there is enough to do there for 2 weeks. Have been to Cancun before but not these resorts. Thanks
The Westin Lagunamar is in a better location than Westin Resort. Lagunamar is a fantastic resort. There is a full slate of daily activities at the resort and a plethora of different tours available to book. Many restaurants with in walking distance as well as a grocery store.

We have stayed at the Westin Resort also but much prefer Lagunamar

goaliedave

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Raintree, Diamond (bought by Hilton), Shell (bought by Wyndham), Sheraton (bought by Marriott), Palace Resorts, a few independants
The beauty of leisure travel is that it’s available to a wide spectrum of people with different perspectives, including how much research and thought they put into picking places to see. There are many places I keep going back to because I’m quite familiar with them and love going there, but I do try to visit new places and new resorts to see if I can find others for a bit of variety. Sometimes I get a lot of research in before making a decision, sometimes not - I’ve even heard of folks just randomly picking destinations at a train station while carrying a backpack. It takes all kinds and folks that travel differently than I do aren’t wrong for making decisions their own way. I might think they’re a bit weird at times, but they aren’t wrong.
Yes but that carefree adventurer is not the situation here ... this is a worrier concerned they'll be unhappy. Those kind of travelers should research ahead.

bizaro86

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Even in the United States.

The United States is actually a very dangerous country with high rates of violence and murder relatively speaking.

On a murder per capita basis its just behind Sudan, Kazakhstan, and Cuba and just ahead of Kenya and Angola. Not exactly illustrious company.

But you (speaking generally here, not to dioxide specifically) probably don't worry that much about violent crime in the US because you make smart decisions. Doing the same in Mexico means you are very likely to be safe there, even though violent crime rates in Mexico are higher than they are in the US.

gaile

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for your replies. I have been to the Riviera Maya, and to Cancun, multiple times. I've been going to Mexico since the 1970s. I don't need to research it. I had 2 issues, One was whether, at 70 yrs old, I really wanted two weeks at the beach. I am sure a lot of people enjoy that but I get antsy. And I'm really not up to scuba diving, snorkling, etc. I realize now that this is a question that no one can answer for me. Sorry I put it out there
The other was whether I wanted to spend time on the beach with Mexican Marines and their weapons patrolling the hotel zone. I have not been back to Cancun and the Riviera Maya since 2019. Back then you could see them in security towers overlooking the roads outside of Cancun. Now that I see pictures that they are, or were, patrolling the beaches not sure I want to spend my time looking at this. My question should have been, is this still happening?
I live in Phoenix. Yes, we get crime.
Anyway thanks for the responses

DonnaD

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Raintree Vacation Club
I am at Club Regina Cancun right now. I feel very safe but we are here to relax and enjoy the beautiful view of the beach and turquoise water and the warm pools. We enjoy meeting new friends who are also members. The resort itself needs some updating of furniture and some delayed maintenance. I like the small size of the resort. My travel friends are having mobility issues so the smaller size makes access to pools, beach and resort restaurants is easier for them too. I am 78 yrs and would not hesitate to come back.

gaile

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks. I have been vacationing with friends at Vidante resorts in the past. My one friend has been having mobility issues also and finds the size of these resorts daunting. Will consider this recommendation.

rpennisi

Reaction score
Thanks. I have been vacationing with friends at Vidante resorts in the past. My one friend has been having mobility issues also and finds the size of these resorts daunting. Will consider this recommendation.
The Mayan Palace (Vidanta) nearby is also a smaller resort and easier for those with mobility issues.
Edit...Sorry, I missed that the question was about the east coast of Mexico. I was thinking near Regina in Puerto Vallarta.

Last edited:

sponger76

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for your replies. I have been to the Riviera Maya, and to Cancun, multiple times. I've been going to Mexico since the 1970s. I don't need to research it. I had 2 issues, One was whether, at 70 yrs old, I really wanted two weeks at the beach. I am sure a lot of people enjoy that but I get antsy. And I'm really not up to scuba diving, snorkling, etc. I realize now that this is a question that no one can answer for me. Sorry I put it out there
The other was whether I wanted to spend time on the beach with Mexican Marines and their weapons patrolling the hotel zone. I have not been back to Cancun and the Riviera Maya since 2019. Back then you could see them in security towers overlooking the roads outside of Cancun. Now that I see pictures that they are, or were, patrolling the beaches not sure I want to spend my time looking at this. My question should have been, is this still happening?
I live in Phoenix. Yes, we get crime.
Anyway thanks for the responses
I was in Cancun, staying at Lagunamar, early last month; I did not see any Marines patrolling the beach or the hotel zone in general.

Reaction score
We took my 78 year old inlaws to the Westin Lagunamar this past July and had a great time. For them it was about shopping, dining, relaxing, enjoying happy hour, a dinner cruise, or just looking at the beach. I would personally walk over a mile on the beach each day and never had any issues. We walked over to La Isla I and II for dining and shopping, walked to local restaurants, took the buses for 12 pesos to the downtown Mercado 28 or other shopping/dining areas (I made it a point to get off first and help everyone (wife & inlaws) get safely off the bus/down the steps), took taxis and have never had a problem, even when we have gone during New Years week.