• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Benn

Reaction score
90% of sales proceeds from timeshares go to sales and marketing, not developer profit.
I do not think that is the case here- they are real estate agents- they typically get 3% of the sale, maybe 6% since they represent both the buyer and seller. I did google and it looks like it could be as high as 15-20% for timeshare sales.

Last edited:

goaliedave

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Raintree, Diamond (bought by Hilton), Shell (bought by Wyndham), Sheraton (bought by Marriott), Palace Resorts, a few independants
I do not think that is the case here- they are real estate agents- they typically get 3% of the sale, maybe 6% since they represent both the buyer and seller. I did google and it looks like it could be as high as 15-20% for timeshare sales.
Salespeople i know make up to $1 million, appointment setters up to $300k - ts industry pays well.

Benn

Reaction score
Salespeople i know make up to $1 million, appointment setters up to $300k - ts industry pays well.
Yes, corruption can be very profitable.

Benn

Reaction score
So how did the protest turn out?
Excellent! When you read the article, keep in mind that the protest event was posted on Facebook December 9 and the shooting was December 14 so our group was in no way attempting to use the shooting for our benefit. Also, Mark Waltrip’s comment about us harassing Westgate is wrong. He was talking about a comment that was supposedly made in a private Facebook group that was only for unhappy Westgate Owners. The only comment I could find only asked if it was David Seigel that got shoot NOT that they wished he had been. https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/t...Q_ZWhkH918F-y1mtyDAKvO6918i1I&mibextid=Zxz2cZ

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
did see a note that 2 of the 3 protestors actually were able to negotiate a surrender back to westgate?

at least thats a great outcome for them!

Carolinian

TUG Member
Reaction score
I used to enjoy the accounts on the old UK-based TimeshareTalk site, on which I served as a moderator, concerning similar and well organized efforts to publicly shame Sunterra, a previous incarnation of Diamond Resorts, over their sales practices and lack of exit ability in the UK. In that fight, there was a website set up, which if memory serves was sunterror.com or sunterrorized.com. Then some of the activists bought an old ambulance which they repainted with anti-Sunterra slogans and called it the Scambulance. That was used as a prop for public demonstrations outside Sunterra sales venues. About the time Diamond took over Sunterra, they found a way to buy out the leaders of the protesters. Many owners who had qualms about Sunterra initially thought Diamond would not be so bad and in the beginning there was lots of happy talk on TimeshareTalk about the new owner Diamond. UPDATE: In thinking more about the anti-Sunterra website, if memory serves there were two of them, the first Sunterror.com (or might have been .co.uk) and Sunterra did a deal with the owner of the site to take it down. The second which stayed up longer and the owner of the site was affiliated with the protest group and had more far reaching demands was Sunterrified.com (or .co.uk) and its start page featured a snowman melting in the sun.

When I was an HOA president, I heard a rather creative way to force a deedback. My own HOA was always willing to allow deedbacks because we found that cheaper for the HOA than a foreclosure and it got the week back where we could hopefully resell it much quicker. Her HOA felt that if you started allowing deedbacks it would snowball. She told me of one member who threatened to deed their timeshare week to North Korea's dictator, mail it care of one of their embassies and get a post office certificiate of mailing to prove delivery. Her HOA caved on that one.

Last edited: