• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Westgate Planet Hollywood (Elara HGVC)

stegilldale

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westgate Planet Hollywood (Elara)
Any advice on how to get rid of a TS with two managing entities. Westgate deed but HGVC maintenance fees

Hobokie

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Elara (HGVC) + Worldmark
@stegilldale, these wetsgate deeds for Elara can be seen on TUG Marketplace, TUG Bargain Basement, eBay, etc. Unfortunately, depending on what you have (?), you will likely have to give this away as the maintenance fees are higher than HGVC and the program is less flexible, from what I understand. I own Elara studio plus (but HGVC).

stegilldale

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
if you don't mind me asking, what are your maintenance costs?

Anthony Schmid

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview at Las Vegas, Elara a Hilton Grand Vacation Club, The Jockey Club, Hilton Grand Vacation Club at Coylumbridge, Hilton Grand Vacations at Craigendarroch, Hyatt Residence Club at Coconut Plantation, DVC Saratoga Springs
My maintenance fee in 2019 for a 1 bedroom at Westgate Elara was $905.15. A guest certificate was free when I rented out this unit. I own week 52 every Odd Year

stegilldale

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thanks Anthony I have yet to check my cost this year. last year was in the 900 range. I am curious how we as westgate owners match up to the HGVC for the same cost.

tony_i

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV, WM, Elara
Any advice on how to get rid of a TS with two managing entities. Westgate deed but HGVC maintenance fees

I will recommend eBay 30 days auction. I purchased my PHW last year there. I still follow Elara sales. Unfortunately, Westgate units have a bad reputation, and they sale for $150 or less (unless you have fix week 52). You can also list it in tug marketplace or bargain bin.

I am very happy with my purchase. I have received great service from HGVC, and they have answered all my questions. These units are very flexible, and allow for different types of booking at Elara. With this, I recommend you list all the benefits and provide as much information as possible. I purchased mine without much information and I was worried since not everything was clear, but it was a low risk purchase and I took a chance.

Also, you can book a high demand week and include the reservation on the listing. If you have 1-52 float week, you can book now New Years 2020 and ask for MFs refunded at closing. CES or Sema are also a good week to book.

Good luck!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hobokie

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Elara (HGVC) + Worldmark
if you don't mind me asking, what are your maintenance costs?
I pay $661.28 for my Studio Plus (higher floor) unit during Platinum season which gets me 3500 annual HGVC points. Add $182 annual club dues and I'm at $843.28. HOWEVER, I do have to pay a reservation fee to use my unit ($69) unless I'm booking "home week" (any platinum week) at my "home resort" (Elara specifically since that's where I own) specifically for my size and type of unit (studio plus) for exactly 1 week... in this rare case, it would be $0 reservation fee. So in reality, I'm paying $843.28 (MF + Club Dues) + $69 (cost of 1 reservation) = $912.28. But from what I understand, this is much more flexible than what Westgate folks can do with their units? I'm not an expert because I specifically wanted to buy into Elara but for HGVC to have more flexibility and I'm not sure why the Westgate deeds have such a bad reputation in comparison...? (except for week 52, of course).

Anthony Schmid

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview at Las Vegas, Elara a Hilton Grand Vacation Club, The Jockey Club, Hilton Grand Vacation Club at Coylumbridge, Hilton Grand Vacations at Craigendarroch, Hyatt Residence Club at Coconut Plantation, DVC Saratoga Springs
Thanks Anthony I have yet to check my cost this year. last year was in the 900 range. I am curious how we as westgate owners match up to the HGVC for the same cost.
This was my HGVC maintenance fees for 2020. I also own HGVC Elara.

Elara, 1 bedroom Grand Plus, Platinum / 7800 pts
2020 Operating Fee $710.63
2020 Reserve Fee $141.54
2020 Real Estate Tax $34.64
Total Amount Due: $886.81
Change from last year: + $3.85 (0.43%)

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

tony_i

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV, WM, Elara
I'm not sure why the Westgate deeds have such a bad reputation in comparison...?

Based on what I researched, prior to my purchase:
  • Westgate as a company has a bad overall rep.
  • Westgate restricts resale buyers on their internal exchange system. ( I have not contacted Westgate to do ask about internal exchange, so I can not confirm restrictions)
  • "Westgate Elara units owners are treated differently" - I have been treated great by HGVC, we even have a direct number for reservations and questions, and HGVC reps are very knowledgeable on our Westgate units. Furthermore, I searched old Elara posts, and contacted a couple of current owners here in TUG, nothing negative was said to me, and made my buying decision easier.
  • "Westgate Elara units are different than HGVC units". They are all the same units. What I have not figured out is why they have so many different 1 bedroom units. I called to book a busy week and my 1b deeded unit type was not available, so they book me on another 1b grand unit. Rep said that my 1b unit has a connecting door to a studio unit (lock off), so they book me on a 1b with no connecting door. Rep also said that units are assigned on first come first serve, and that I can call a couple of week prior to check-in to request a specific unit or side of the building.
So there is a lot of misinformation around that makes these units worth very little. I love to visit Vegas, and being so close to the strip, and on the mall is a good as it could get for a resort unit. The association has kept the units great, and everyone that visits here loves it. Here are my positives of a Westgate Elara unit .
  • No club membership fees - HGVC club fees keep increasing yearly, so if you just want to book Elara, this is a better deal.
  • HGVC 1B Grand or Grand plus worth 7k-7.8k HGVC Points sell for well over 7k upfront resale. This is a great unit for the club based on point/MFs, but is it really worth for booking at Elara when you can get most of the same benefits at Elara for a $150 upfront cost on a Westgate unit?
  • Most Elara units float 1-52, this gives great flexibility. Some are fixed week 52 and are automatically booked for that week.
  • At 9 month prior to checkin, you can split your Westgate Elara week into 3 nights any day of the week check in, and 4 nights SAT-TUE check in. First split reservation is free, second is $59. (HGVC member would pay reservation fee for each booking)
  • Lock-offs units also split into studio and 1b reservations.
  • If your Westgate Elara unit type is unavailable, you can book smaller unit type, or book fewer nights based on availability.
  • If you own EOY, HGVC allows you to book a unit on the opposite year if there is availability.
So there is a lot of positives on these units. The flexibility is amazing in my opinion. There are also deeded units for 3 night (FRI-SUN check in at 12 moth) and 4 nights (MON only check in at 12 month).

Tony

stegilldale

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Was introduced to the Legacy Program through TUG Called and found out that since Westgate does not own the Elara anymore they have nothing to do with the DEED They have essentially wash their hands of anyone with the Elara So, Plan was two towers with two pools Now only one tower and one pool plus I have to call special people to get a reservation, Never had a problem getting a reservation once I get the right person on the phone I can book anytime but there is a cost if I split my stay.

Anthony Schmid

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Based on what I researched, prior to my purchase:
  • Westgate as a company has a bad overall rep.
  • Westgate restricts resale buyers on their internal exchange system. ( I have not contacted Westgate to do ask about internal exchange, so I can not confirm restrictions)
  • "Westgate Elara units owners are treated differently" - I have been treated great by HGVC, we even have a direct number for reservations and questions, and HGVC reps are very knowledgeable on our Westgate units. Furthermore, I searched old Elara posts, and contacted a couple of current owners here in TUG, nothing negative was said to me, and made my buying decision easier.
  • "Westgate Elara units are different than HGVC units". They are all the same units. What I have not figured out is why they have so many different 1 bedroom units. I called to book a busy week and my 1b deeded unit type was not available, so they book me on another 1b grand unit. Rep said that my 1b unit has a connecting door to a studio unit (lock off), so they book me on a 1b with no connecting door. Rep also said that units are assigned on first come first serve, and that I can call a couple of week prior to check-in to request a specific unit or side of the building.
So there is a lot of misinformation around that makes these units worth very little. I love to visit Vegas, and being so close to the strip, and on the mall is a good as it could get for a resort unit. The association has kept the units great, and everyone that visits here loves it. Here are my positives of a Westgate Elara unit .
  • No club membership fees - HGVC club fees keep increasing yearly, so if you just want to book Elara, this is a better deal.
  • HGVC 1B Grand or Grand plus worth 7k-7.8k HGVC Points sell for well over 7k upfront resale. This is a great unit for the club based on point/MFs, but is it really worth for booking at Elara when you can get most of the same benefits at Elara for a $150 upfront cost on a Westgate unit?
  • Most Elara units float 1-52, this gives great flexibility. Some are fixed week 52 and are automatically booked for that week.
  • At 9 month prior to checkin, you can split your Westgate Elara week into 3 nights any day of the week check in, and 4 nights SAT-TUE check in. First split reservation is free, second is $59. (HGVC member would pay reservation fee for each booking)
  • Lock-offs units also split into studio and 1b reservations.
  • If your Westgate Elara unit type is unavailable, you can book smaller unit type, or book fewer nights based on availability.
  • If you own EOY, HGVC allows you to book a unit on the opposite year if there is availability.
So there is a lot of positives on these units. The flexibility is amazing in my opinion. There are also deeded units for 3 night (FRI-SUN check in at 12 moth) and 4 nights (MON only check in at 12 month).

Tony
I was quoted $600 plus my week to trade into the west gate system.

tony_i

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV, WM, Elara
I was quoted $600 plus my week to trade into the west gate system.

Wow! That is a lot. Have you tried Interval? Any good trades?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Anthony Schmid

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wow! That is a lot. Have you tried Interval? Any good trades?

I tried calling interval international today. I was asking for a deal on the membership but they couldn't give me one. I rented out my week 52 at the elara. The gift certificate was free from westgate

tony_i

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV, WM, Elara
I tried calling interval international today. I was asking for a deal on the membership but they couldn't give me one. I rented out my week 52 at the elara. The gift certificate was free from westgate

I have Interval with my Worldmark account, and I search for Elara units almost everyday, these units get booked within the day. I am trying to catch one within 59 days flex exchange. If I do, I will be renting out my Elara unit for new years too.

Did you use TUG Marketplace to list your rental? Maybe OP can list a rental to recoup MFs while unit sells.

Anthony Schmid

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I have Interval with my Worldmark account, and I search for Elara units almost everyday, these units get booked within the day. I am trying to catch one within 59 days flex exchange. If I do, I will be renting out my Elara unit for new years too.

Did you use TUG Marketplace to list your rental? Maybe OP can list a rental to recoup MFs while unit sells.

I used airbnb and I profited about $200 for week 52. Its tough to find someone that wants to rent the whole 7 nights. Most people that travel to Las Vegas only prefer a 3 or 4 night stay

tony_i

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV, WM, Elara
I used airbnb and I profited about $200 for week 52. Its tough to find someone that wants to rent the whole 7 nights. Most people that travel to Las Vegas only prefer a 3 or 4 night stay

I am the same way. 3-4 days in the strip is plenty. I also own at Desert Club and it is better for 7 nights when renting a vehicle, Enjoy the resort, Vegas, and visit some of the parks. Last time we drove to the south rim and spent a night there.

iyer

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westgate Elara LV
Marriott Newport Beach
Hi Anthony, are you still able to rent your Westgate week 52 on Airbnb/vrbo? I read some other posts from 2021 where Elara HOA asked Westgate deeded owners to cease commercial activity (attached letter). My question is - Is this letter applicable for a deeded Westgate home week at Elara?

Thanks

Attachments

• LV 52 - UWC - Owner Rental Restrictions - 2020.pdf
    141 KB · Views: 22