• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Westgate as a AC certificate?

noreenkate

TUG Member
Reaction score
Ok so my son is looking to head with friends to Orlando specifically for universal HHN. I have an AC certificate we won’t be using before it expires only thing in the timeframe is Westgate properties….but I am a little nervous based on the tug reputation as i have seen it referred to as Wastegate. Are the properties really bad? I am more concerned about the “waste” reference bugs cleanliness ect or is it just the sales and their treatment of resale owners.

Would you feel comfortable sending a bunch of twenty something guys for a week-

Do I need to skip this a find them a Hampton inn somewhere?

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
We have avoided using ACs at Westgate properties because of the fear of fees. Resort fees and WiFi fees. I don't know if there are these fees on exchanges because every report I see seems to not be first hand. I don't want to pay $300 for an AC only to be hammered with another couple hundred bucks in fees at checkin. Reviews on TripAdvisor and such are also poor. Not just about the sales experience but reports of issues with the rooms being old and tired to bed bugs. We might try out one of their 3 night $99 deals that requires a presentation, but until that we won't be putting a lot of money into a stay with an AC. $300 isn't a lot of money, but it could easily double with fees.

cbyrne1174

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham, Marriott, DVC
100% resale!!
Ok so my son is looking to head with friends to Orlando specifically for universal HHN. I have an AC certificate we won’t be using before it expires only thing in the timeframe is Westgate properties….but I am a little nervous based on the tug reputation as i have seen it referred to as Wastegate. Are the properties really bad? I am more concerned about the “waste” reference bugs cleanliness ect or is it just the sales and their treatment of resale owners.

Do you have an RCI account? You can probably find a last call 6 weeks out for the same price.

swditz

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
westgate palace wk 52
briarwood cape cod wk 30
surfside cape cod wk 41
falls at Ogunquit wk 21
discovery beach wk 7
captains quarters wk 38
65000 inn season points

If universal is their destination then Westgate Palace would be a good choice if available. It is one mile from the gate and odd numbered rooms have a great night time view of the park. All rooms are 2 bedroom and most if not all have recently been renovated. This is our home resort with Westgate and we have never had a bad experience. I'm not aware of extra fees there but as owners we have none. I would call before to ask if there are any. (always very clean and never have seen any bugs.)
It is also just off international drive which offers plenty to do. Our kids are all in their 20'a and I wouldn't hesitate to send them.

noreenkate

TUG Member
Reaction score
If universal is their destination then Westgate Palace would be a good choice if available. It is one mile from the gate and odd numbered rooms have a great night time view of the park. All rooms are 2 bedroom and most if not all have recently been renovated. This is our home resort with Westgate and we have never had a bad experience. I'm not aware of extra fees there but as owners we have none. I would call before to ask if there are any. (always very clean and never have seen any bugs.)
It is also just off international drive which offers plenty to do. Our kids are all in their 20'a and I wouldn't hesitate to send them.

westgate palace location to universal is exactly why we were considering it-

2rebecca

TUG Member
Reaction score
I've stayed at 3 different Westgate's (Vacation Villas 2015, Smoky Mtns 2020 & Myrtle Beach 2016) and thought they were fine. Would I choose Marriott over them? Yes, but I wouldn't hesitate to go to a Westgate if Marriott wasn't available. My experience is that there are no mandatory resort fees for exchangers. The fees are for hotel guests. I'm assuming getaway purchases might be considered hotel guests, but I'm not positive. IIRC, there was a fee to use wifi at the time for Vacation Villas in Orlando & Myrtle Beach, but there was great cell coverage so I didn't find wifi necessary. I called the resort directly and asked about fees prior to my arrival. The folks were very helpful. I just double-checked my history and Vacation Villas was on an AC. I think most of the negative talk about Westgate is regarding ownership and the sales presentations. I do not attend the sales presentations.

jwalk03

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have stayed at Westgate Smoky Mountains and really enjoyed it. The sales weasels are brutal so stay away, but otherwise the service was good and the resort was very nice. No fears at all about cleanliness or the like. I do think there was an added fee for WiFi- but we didn't pay it. No other resort fees or parking fees or anything.

noreenkate

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have stayed at Westgate Smoky Mountains and really enjoyed it. The sales weasels are brutal so stay away, but otherwise the service was good and the resort was very nice. No fears at all about cleanliness or the like. I do think there was an added fee for WiFi- but we didn't pay it. No other resort fees or parking fees or anything.

ohh I would love to try their Smoky Mountains resort- We are close enough to be pass holders at Dollywood but far enough to need an overnight if we stay…DreamMore pricing is off the hook and some of the area hotels are not quite right for us…

jwalk03

TUG Member
Reaction score
ohh I would love to try their Smoky Mountains resort- We are close enough to be pass holders at Dollywood but far enough to need an overnight if we stay…DreamMore pricing is off the hook and some of the area hotels are not quite right for us…

o yeah it’s a nice resort for sure! And so close to Gatlinburg right on the parkway. I haven’t been there since the fire but I believe they have rebuilt most of it. I see it in interval pretty regularly- usually only as an exchange though, not a getaway.

djbobstar

Reaction score
For universal, we own at Westgate lakes for a bout a year and have been quite happy (as long as you stay out of the sales center).

Any building we’ve stayed in has been nice and all the same decor. Love the amenities; spa is fantastic, gym is one of the nicest I’ve seen at any resort. Water park on site and many sports and amenities.

From what I see I would only go if renting from an owner and can get a screenshot of Their wow card. That’s really the difference. Without it there is charge for water park. You also get discounts at spa, restaurant etc.

We originally found this location looking for space for family of 6 at a universal property and this was their recommendation and endorcement for larger families.

I hear all the trash talk but I don’t think Universal would make recommendation if they were going to upset universal visitors.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk