• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Welk Northstar

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Welk Resorts
Anybody have any ideas on how to exchange into Welk Northstar? I don't see any low season weeks in II. I read somewhere that now they only exchange in RCI Registry Collection.

@Shankilicious ?
You are correct sir. Welk is dual affiliated but we have our own RCI portal and the vast majority of owners exchange through RCI now.
We can still book a Northstar week and exchange it with II if the owner wants, but I wouldn't hold my breath as we have to pay for our II memberships now.
I may be able to put you in touch with someone who will rent out a week to you.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

DAman

TUG Member
Reaction score
I get into the Northstar Lodge via my Hyatt points. Hyatt has ten units there. The Hyatt units are managed by Welk.

I have a three bedroom unit for four midweek nights in early February. If I look carefully I usually get in there every winter.

It’s ski in ski out-unless there is no snow near the lodge.

Before Welk changed to RCI I got multiple II exchanges there. Now those exchanges are gone.

BJRSanDiego

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sands of Kahana, Desert Springs I, DSV2, Shadow Ridge Enclaves Dlx
Welk Northstar has essentially dried up for ii. Most Welk owners switched to RCI when Welk switched over. The few that are duel affiliated are paying for ii separately. Most prefer not to pay for two timeshare companies. I've unsuccessful had it on a request for months and month with a request interval of months and months.

I've stayed at Welk Northstar twice. The first star was marred by a non-working AC, about a half dozen (unsuccessful) visits by engineering to fix the problem and absolutely dirty filthy carpets (I was told they are 10 years old). The second trip (comp'd by Welk) was nicer. But, IMHO, Welk Northstar isn't living up to its full potential.

klpca

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
That was definitely one of our favorite places to exchange. But I haven't seen any weeks there since Welk changed to RCI. Too bad. I'm still looking for a replacement location. Our best week there was the week after Thanksgiving in 2015 using an AC. We had fresh snow and the mountain to ourselves. (Too bad that I am such a crappy skier that I don't fully appreciate that, lol). My husband and his brother/SIL had a great time skiing. Best $300 week ever.

echino

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HYN HCC HWP HYP
HRA KAN WSJ WKV WLR SVV
MCV MKO MM1 MPU MSK
GP7
Valdoro
HHV Lagoon
As mentioned, you can use Hyatt points.

ski_sierra

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Too many
That was definitely one of our favorite places to exchange. But I haven't seen any weeks there since Welk changed to RCI. Too bad. I'm still looking for a replacement location. Our best week there was the week after Thanksgiving in 2015 using an AC. We had fresh snow and the mountain to ourselves. (Too bad that I am such a crappy skier that I don't fully appreciate that, lol). My husband and his brother/SIL had a great time skiing. Best $300 week ever.

Amazing exchange story.

Did they have a lot of availability like other Tahoe resorts during non-holiday weeks? I can't imagine that it has high occupancy year-round.

ski_sierra

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Too many
I get into the Northstar Lodge via my Hyatt points. Hyatt has ten units there. The Hyatt units are managed by Welk.

I have a three bedroom unit for four midweek nights in early February. If I look carefully I usually get in there every winter.
That's awesome. It must be great to ski there in Feb on weekdays. Very low snow risk as well.

klpca

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
Amazing exchange story.

Did they have a lot of availability like other Tahoe resorts during non-holiday weeks? I can't imagine that it has high occupancy year-round.
It was an easy exchange. We booked two weeks, mid-August in 2018 for my husband's birthday using 1 bedroom SDO deposits. It was awesome.

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Village, Wyndham, WorldMark, Vistana, Vidanta, Flora Farms, HGVC Max, and some independents
I've seen a lot of instances of owners there establishing accounts with ThirdHome. It doesn't show in there as an affiliated resort, so ThirdHome doesn't have any formal agreement with the resort, but ThirdHome will typically let owners of high-end TS set up an account to trade there weeks there. It's a bit pricey, but they have some very nice actual second homes and vacation rental homes as well as the high-end TS (e.g., Vidanta Grand Luxxe, Ritz Carlton, Westin St John). There are some incredible ones they include where someone once set up an account but there never seems to be availability; you can't really tell that when looking at what they list on the publicly available side. Happy to let folks know what is really available now as I have an account with them.

btoby61

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SRV, HICV
As mentioned, you can use Hyatt points.

Do these units generate Hyatt points or only Welk on resale market? i am looking to expand my Hyatt properties to combine points. Would I need to pay another exchange company fee if either RCI or II ?

ocdb8r

TUG Member
Reaction score
Do these units generate Hyatt points or only Welk on resale market? i am looking to expand my Hyatt properties to combine points. Would I need to pay another exchange company fee if either RCI or II ?

It's only one or the other (you need to know if you're buying a "Hyatt" unit or a "Welk" unit). There were very few Hyatt units sold before Hyatt sold the majority of the resort to Welk...and I believe most Hyatt units were sold as a sort of pseudo-fractional (whereby you bought a package that included a prime ski week AND a couple of off season weeks).

So long as you get a Hyatt unit, you should be able to combine with your existing II account.

btoby61

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SRV, HICV
It's only one or the other (you need to know if you're buying a "Hyatt" unit or a "Welk" unit). There were very few Hyatt units sold before Hyatt sold the majority of the resort to Welk...and I believe most Hyatt units were sold as a sort of pseudo-fractional (whereby you bought a package that included a prime ski week AND a couple of off season weeks).

So long as you get a Hyatt unit, you should be able to combine with your existing II account.
Thanks !