• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $23,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $23 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Welcome to TUGBoats the TUG Cruise Vacation Forum

momeason

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Is there any value in exchanging your week for a cruise? I used a week in 2019
for a hotel stay. I had a week about to expire and I needed hotel rooms for my
son's wedding. I did not get a lot of value for the trade.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Is there any value in exchanging your week for a cruise? I used a week in 2019
for a hotel stay. I had a week about to expire and I needed hotel rooms for my
son's wedding. I did not get a lot of value for the trade.
Not unless you use the discount for 4+ cabins. Otherwise use a discounter and use timeshare exchanges for timeshare stays.

Arusso

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm surprised there is not more commentary on this forum. Is it possible, TUGGERS are not aware of this new section of the forums?

Traditional TS and cruising are, of course, different venues for vacationing. Yet, they have some features in common. I've done both over the past 40 years and can see the benefits and drawbacks of both. Due to a confluence of factors, I deeded back my TS holdings last year. That does not mean i won't be vacationing in a TS property in the future. I just won't be liable for any more MFs and Club dues. I'll just be paying rent.

Now, on the topic of cruising, the cruise industry, much like the TS industry, has undergone predictable change in an unpredictable manner. We've got mega ships, new ships, older ships, new ports, old ports, many ports limiting the number of ships and/or passengers, new itineraries, differing levels of service and accommodations on the big cruise lines, many smaller ships and cruise lines to choose from.

FB pages are an overwhelming amount of information. Some done by professional travel experts, some by cruisers. Some are factual, many are just opinion.

One such topic already reviewed is the value obtained for a TS exchange for a cruise. TUGGER Passepartout recommendation from June 16th is duly noted.

So, I propose a good topic to discuss is the subject of "value" for what is expected for the money spent - if we factor in the pros and cons of each vacation venue. TUGGERS are, for the most part, knowledgeable savvy travelers.

Anything other topic?

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
@Arusso I agree with your ideas. I am relatively new to cruising (only 1 paid cruise so far) and am interested in money saving hacks and ways to extract more value - something Tuggers are very good at doing!

I expect to cruise more in the future. I found some great cruise deals but expensive airfare has been limiting such trips. Conversely, some cruises IMO are overpriced compared to exchanging a timeshare for a week.

Arusso

TUG Member
Reaction score
@Arusso I agree with your ideas. I am relatively new to cruising (only 1 paid cruise so far) and am interested in money saving hacks and ways to extract more value - something Tuggers are very good at doing!

I expect to cruise more in the future. I found some great cruise deals but expensive airfare has been limiting such trips. Conversely, some cruises IMO are overpriced compared to exchanging a timeshare for a week.
Yes, TUGGERS are all about value. From my perspective having cruised since the 1960s as a teen through the present and having owned TS, I can reflect on the differences. IMO, those differences are predicated on purpose. For example, when the kids were young, we used TS to visit specific destinations both in the USA and abroad. There was a purpose to the trips (which differs from a vacation). Trips with the family in tow were unquestionably goal oriented. They were to do stuff.

On the other hand, I define vacations as trips without kids for the purpose of recalibration of both mind and body. Of course, in discussing this subject with others they opt for destinations full of activities and a packed itinerary. To each, their own.

So, as our family has changed so too have our expectations. As a result, I found that land vacations, as retirees, have become more of a challenge. COVID-19 challenges as well as less reliable and expensive air travel have also been a factor.

Cruising from a port near home, resolves some of these challenges, but not all. Depending on ship, itinerary and amenities selected, it may or may not be a better deal than exchanging or renting a TS. But, the valid comparison is cost/per day factoring in all the variables of travel such as travel cost to destination and back home, food and entertainment.

Are these valid observations? Are there other factors to consider?

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
Activity packed TS vacations were true when the kids were younger. Now with our kids as young adults and having seen the sites at our timeshare locations, we use Timeshares to "get a vacation from our vacation." We enjoy downtime at a beach with a few restaurant meals, time with family, and exercise without the go-go of a European "got to see and do everything vacation"

I put cruises in the latter category since we are still new to it and use cruises and excursions as a way to see locations we wouldn't or couldn't visit on land on our own e.g. Asia, New Zealand fjords, Alaska, Panama Canal (all on our bucket list).

We are still mobile and energetic enough to do the land tours but as we age, we will pursue more cruises.