• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Weight Watchers vets?

pjrose

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I visited my first (and possibly last) Weight Watchers meeting today, and felt like I was in a third grade class. :( I'd like to try WW, but I don't think I can stand sitting there while Ms. Chipper talks about all the great things we can do with _____. (Let's say Celery, though that wasn't really tonight's example).

Who can tell us what is good about celery? It's low-calorie? Great! High in fiber? Wonderful! Crunchy? Absolutely! :whoopie: Each of you gets a star!

What are some great ways to use celery? In Tuna! Right! Woo Hoo! :cheer: But be careful about the mayonnaise! On a raw veggie tray? Yes! Here are some more stars!

Who used celery last week? That's Great! :banana: Here are some stars for you!​
Weight Watchers vets - is this typical? I don't think I could stand being talked down to like that every week! :wall:

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
No, it's not typical. But it's funny!

I wouldn't like it either, so I would find another meeting. They have meetings all over the place around here, and I hope that location isn't your only choice. You could also try a different time of day or day of the week.

I was very turned off by Weight Watchers years ago, when I was in my mid-thirties. I was trying to lose some weight and was very good about watching what I ate, and I was really enjoying fruit. The gal held up an average apple and asked, "how many servings is this?" She said "2 servings," and you cannot eat this entire apple. You need to share it with one of your kids, or you must refrigerate half. I was flabbergasted. I never went back.

No one gets fat by eating a large apple.

Now they have a different program, and I am intrigued, except my sister has been going for months and has averaged about 1/4 pound weight loss a week. UGH! :eek:

lprstn

TUG Member
Reaction score
Each instructor runs their class differently. However, its about keeping you motivated, on track, and learning how to deal with your food addictions.

I lost 79lbs on WW, and have kept off 50lbs (however, I still workout and have gained more muscle than fat.

It stopped working for me when I got to my goal weight and was tired of starving....so I stared body for life instead (www.bodyforlife.com) which worked after I had learned how to eat, exercise and maintain my weight. I gained the weight back during the 4 months we lived in a hotel while our house was being rebuilt.

I am back on WW online, and the www.bodyforlife.com exercise program, and have lost 10lbs of the 29lbs I have gained.

I liked WW because I was allowed to have a snack now and then, plan for eating out, while balancing it with my other meals during the day. It steal works for me...but you have to find the right program for you.

BevL

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I worked for Weight Watchers weighing people in after my children were born, like 25 years ago, and I lost weight with their program. There is a huge difference in instructors.

I'm back on WW after losting a fair bit a few years back with Atkins and putting some back on, not all but some. I'm doing it online, that keeps me much more honest than 45 minutes a week.

UWSurfer

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
They call them leaders now instead of instructors, but the point is the same....the leader of a meeting can make all the difference in the world.

You don't like one, try a different meeting. On WW's front page is a link to their meeting finder. Put in the zipcode you are in and up pops a list of the meeting locations, days and times that are closest to your location on out.

I've been a WW for a very long time and attend meetings when I travel. The meeting thing I've got down. The self control and discipline thing is not so great. IF you are motivated and can follow the guidelines, you'll loose weight and be happy doing it. You however have to be ready and have to work at it. It's a great program in that you are using "regular" food that you get from your local market and surroundings and you are taught how to integrate that into your program.

If you don't work it, don't have self discipline or simply aren't motivated, you'll likely not do so well.

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
I'm a Lifetime member. I lost a little over 60 pounds and have kept it off for 6+ years. As others have mentioned the meetings take their "tone" from the leader. If you have other options in your area, search out another meeting. If you cannot find one you can click with, and still want to follow the program, there is an Online program you can subscribe to. You can get the program information, what you'll miss out on is the face to face support you get in the meetings.

lll1929

TUG Member
Reaction score
I lost 103 lbs on WW doing it online (ONLY)!! I kept it off for 4 years and started gaining it back slowly. When I tried to go into the WW meetings, I didn't find them very motivational. I am now back to doing WW online.

Good luck in finding what works for you.

Moosie

TUG Member
Reaction score
I wasn't comfortable at the meetings or the fact about how they delt with the weigh ins at my local WW.

I switched to on line and really liked it and also did well.

I recently had to cancel due to upcoming surgery, but intend to rejoin as soon as I'm able.

I think WW is one of the best weight loss programs. It is the only program that I have been able to get good results from.

Good luck.

pjrose

TUG Member
Reaction score
I lost 103 lbs on WW doing it online (ONLY)!! I kept it off for 4 years and started gaining it back slowly. When I tried to go into the WW meetings, I didn't find them very motivational. I am now back to doing WW online.

I wasn't comfortable at the meetings or the fact about how they delt with the weigh ins at my local WW.

I switched to on line and really liked it and also did well.

Aren't the advantages of WW the support group and the accountability? How would those work online?

I know what to eat and not eat and how to cook healthy foods, and I usually do. I'm a wiz at cooking light. My downfall is snacking and a complete lack of willpower when the goodies reach out to me.

I'm not sure that going online would help with that, since I would have nobody but myself to answer to. I haven't been able to lose by myself, so I thought the support and accountability would help.

What are the benefits of the online program?

Last edited:

BevL

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score

There is, I believe, a forum where you can post questions, similar to TUG for timeshare addicts. There are some non Weight Watcher boards for WW support as well.

I like the online because I"m much more likely to keep track of my points by doing it online than writing them down in a book. Plus it makes it really easy to calculate point values, etc. I'm not looking in books to find points, I just enter the name of the food, or the calories, fat and fibre and voila, it's right there. I feel I'm a pretty self-motivated person, though.

I have a friend, though, who just can't manage online and must go to a meeting every week. She does really well as long as she has tht 45 minutes to keep her going.

To each their own.

nygiants11991

TUG Member
Reaction score
I agree with other tuggers, try a different leader or even a different meeting place. The leader makes or breaks the meeting.

I have been on the WW program many times. One of my best bouts was losing 20 pounds to which I have gained back about 10 of them, but it has been over about 3 years. I keep trying to get back on track but fail. One of these days.....

Has anyone else tried the body for life program?

labguides

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
I am a WW Lifer (lost 10 pounds) and kept it off for 6 years.. now, it has crept back and then some. grrrrrrrr

Yes, each leader is different. Try a meeting at a different time/different leader. The first meeting I attended, the leader told me that I would not be able to lose the weight. I'm sure that was meant as motivation, but it turned me off. I never went back to that location.

The main thing I got from meetings was to remember my mindset....portion control, portion control. Unfortunately, I am unable to get back into that mindset.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
Aren't the advantages of WW the support group and the accountability? How would those work online?

When WWers was founded way back when, the only thing that really made it different was the support group aspect. To me, that is still one of the biggest pluses it has. That, and the fact that it teaches you how to maintain your weight loss and provides on-going support. But, over the years WWers has developed other programs to meet the needs of those who can't, or don't want to, attend meetings.

You might want to check out the WWer website: http://www.weightwatchers.com. You can register as a "free" user and see the bulletin boards (some are much nicer than others ;) ) and get a taste for the information that is there. Paid Online users will get access to much more, such as the program information and the various tracking tools.

PM me if you have any questions.

lvhmbh

TUG Member
Reaction score
I like online because I can use their points tracker rather than writing down manually. I got online this a.m. and recorded last nights meal and snack in evening and then did b-fast. I tend to go upstairs and read after dinner so I wait until the a.m. to record. Works for me. I initially signed up and went to a meeting to learn the program but never went to a meeting after that - I'd go and weigh in and then leave. Linda

ctreelmom

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm a lifer too--achieved lifetime status 15+ years ago and have been back a few times, post-babies, etc.

For me, there's nothing like knowing you have to get on the scale in front of somebody else to keep me on program during the week. Trying the program online didn't work for me, as there was no accountability.

As far as the leader's approach goes, the motivational aspect of the meetings really drives the train for some. However, if you're not comfortable with it, or you don't like to participate in group discussions like that, then maybe it's not the right program for you. WW is more than just "the diet" although they consider diet to be a 4 letter word. It's also about the group support and the weigh-ins and yes, the celebrations. It's really something to stand and clap for someone who's lost 50 or even 100 pounds.

pjrose

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm a lifer too--achieved lifetime status 15+ years ago and have been back a few times, post-babies, etc.

For me, there's nothing like knowing you have to get on the scale in front of somebody else to keep me on program during the week. Trying the program online didn't work for me, as there was no accountability.

As far as the leader's approach goes, the motivational aspect of the meetings really drives the train for some. However, if you're not comfortable with it, or you don't like to participate in group discussions like that, then maybe it's not the right program for you. WW is more than just "the diet" although they consider diet to be a 4 letter word. It's also about the group support and the weigh-ins and yes, the celebrations. It's really something to stand and clap for someone who's lost 50 or even 100 pounds.

I think the accountability and motivational aspect sound great. I'm all for the group support and celebrations. I just don't want to repeat the experience the other night, listening to someone go on and on about how exciting "celery" is.

What are other topics WW vets can remember, besides how low-cal food 101?

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
What are other topics WW vets can remember, besides how low-cal food 101?

WWer leaders are given a different topic each week. How they present it, can be up to them.

Some recent topics have been:
- Zero point foods (that may be where the celery discussion can from)
- Moving more with music
- Learning from the past
- What are you really hungry for?
- It's all in your mind. Managing your thoughts.

The list goes on and on.

wackymother

TUG Member
Reaction score
All the leaders are so different, and the groups are different, too. Last time I was on WW, I actually "test drove" several groups with a friend. She felt more strongly about finding the right group than I did, but I went along b/c we were diet buddies! We did find an excellent leader and a really good, big group.

Look for a big group that returns week after week, a mix of personalities and weight-loss goals, a mix of backgrounds. If you find a group like that, you will often discover over time that the leader is really good, even if you have a "celery" experience the first time you go.

One thing I will say is that we found the middle-of-the-day, right-at-the-suburban-WW-center groups to be the most boring and the leaders the least compelling. For some reason I've found the evening and Sunday-morning groups to be the most dynamic and involved.

nygiants11991

TUG Member
Reaction score
WWer leaders are given a different topic each week. How they present it, can be up to them.

As Luanne said the leaders all have the same topic that changes each week. So it might be a good idea to try to catch a few different meetings within the same week to see what leaders fits your personality.

Don't give up yet, it is a great program. Also look at the WW site and get in on their forum. You might find someone in your area that goes to meetings. That always makes the meetings interesting too.

bass

TUG Member
Reaction score
I've been a WW lifetime member for almost 23 years. I can't imagine doing the program online. I need to weigh in front of someone. That helps alot. But everyone's different - whatever helps you the best.

Nancy

pjrose

TUG Member
Reaction score
I've been a WW lifetime member for almost 23 years. I can't imagine doing the program online. I need to weigh in front of someone. That helps alot. But everyone's different - whatever helps you the best.

Nancy

I think weighing in and having a support group would help me - but I don't want to be talked down to.

I'll see if I can visit again to see the style of other leaders before I sign up.

wackymother

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think weighing in and having a support group would help me - but I don't want to be talked down to.

I'll see if I can visit again to see the style of other leaders before I sign up.

If you pay for one meeting in a week, you can go to as many more meetings as you can stand in that week. That's how it used to be, anyway. I don't think you weigh in at every meeting, though.

So if you go to a meeting on Monday and pay for it, then you can go to another meeting on Tuesday, another on Wednesday, two on Thursday...you get the idea!