• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Weeks Vs.points

nightnurse613

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Now that I have your attention, I have a question. I have had an on-going search in my weeks account (RCI) for a month or two. Based on experience, I have now added that same search to my points account. When they call me and say they have my points reservation, is there any reason I can't have them change that to my weeks account? :confused:

Jya-Ning

TUG Member
Reaction score
Don't own RCI point account, but I can think of two possible reasons. 1) the match is a point resort inventory. 2) you don't have enough trading power in your week.

Jya-Ning

nightnurse613

TUG Member
Reaction score
Good answer but, it's a weeks resort (shouldn't be a points inventory?) and, the week I deposited was at least as good. Anyone else? I need to start working on these counter positions for what I feel is the inevitable.

Lee B

TUG Member
Reaction score
The week at the Weeks resort could have been deposited by a Points member owner ("Points for Deposit"). Also, per another TUG member, RCI could have "raided" the Weeks deposit for Points member use.

Points exchanging is supposed to be more immediate than Weeks exchanging, because all Points owners esentially deposit 3 years of their intervals at the beginning of the 3-year Points membership period. At 10 months ahead of the interval point, RCI makes more intervals available when their owners elect not to reserve for their own use.

You can always ask to "reconfirm" the Points exchange offer as a Weeks exchange, thus fulfilling your Weeks excange request. I dunno if they do that, but they might, and I'd like to know.

cclendinen

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes, You can swap both ways.

Yes, you can grab a week with weeks exchange and have them switch it to points or grab a week with points and have them switch it to a spacebanked week. I have done this a few times with both confirmed exchanges and exchanges on hold.

The only issue with switching a points-for-weeks exchange with a spacebanked week is, that your spacebanked week must have sufficient VEP to pull the exchange week.

Of course you cannot do this with standard points exchange. However, I have seen point resort weeks in points-for-weeks search. This is because many resorts started out as weeks resorts and later joined the RCI Points Program so, there are weeks at the same resort that can be exchanged with a standard points exchange and weeks that can be pulled from the RCI weeks program with a points-for-week search.

An example of this is Wolf Creek Village in Eden Utah, which is in the RCI Points Program. I pulled an exchange from the points-for-weeks for a March 2005 week 12 for 40,000 points. They also had a week available in standard points for 47,500 points. The week in the points program could not be switched with a spacebanked week, but the one I pulled for 40,000 points could have been swapped with a spacebank week.

An example of swapping a spacebanked exchange for points is:
I had a week exchange for 3br week 50 in Orlando that I had exchanged in the 45 day window with a cheap SA week. I called RCI and asked if they were able to swap my SA week used in the exchange for points. They were able to put my SA spacebank back and used 7,500 points instead. I did this because the SA week was a strong trader in the week system and was of greater value as a trader. I did not want to waste it on a 45-day window trade.

An example of swapping a points-for-weeks for a spacebanked week is:
I pulled a 2br Galleon Resort in Key West Florida, for 2006 week 50 for 57,500 points. I had a special type of bonus week spacebanked that could not be used in an on-line search. So I called RCI and asked if this bonus week had enough trade power to pull the Galleon Resort exchange and it did. So they put my 57,500 points back into my account and used the bonus week instead.

Last edited:

nightnurse613

TUG Member
Reaction score
OK, that's a little encouragement! I'll let you know when (if) it happens!