• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

WEEKS owners - FACTS/QUESTIONS - new RCI Program

BevL

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I'm guessing you have deposits that are valued under 30 points and are not changing your search to see everything RCI has?

If you search for everything, you will see resorts well into the 40s and 50s and you can actually narrow your search to resorts within certain point ranges.

To do that, when you're at the initial search screen, on the left of the blue band on top of the worldwide map, there's a link to "Click to Change". Go there and in the upper right hand corner you can switch it from what your deposit will see to total RCI inventory.

If you're doing that and not seeing resorts over 30, that's strange and something I have no explanation for.

Last edited:

BevL

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Manhattan Club too is significantly north of 40 as will be SoCal summer weeks, I would expect.

schiff1997

TUG Member
Reaction score
Try this

Pick a region i.e. USA to search, then scroll all the way down to the bottom and open up Exchange Trading Power, then choose which trading power you would like to see, then go back up and cancel out search area USA. Then go back down again and reopen Exchange Trading Power. This will then show you all the units with the trade power you have chosen throughout the world.

Right now I see 459 units that have a Trade Power Value of 33 +

MichaelColey

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
For the most part, it takes a high demand week (think holidays or summer) in a high demand resort or area to need a trading power over 30. There are some (like Manhattan Club) where everything is higher, but those seem to be pretty rare.

Rene McDaniel

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I have to say I disagree with you in terms of Summer being all 3 months of June, July and August. What you are then saying is that all 12 weeks of time from roughly June 1st through August 31st has the same demand for people.

You contradicted yourself however by then posting that you couldn't use the late August week for yourself because you needed to take a vacation while your kids were out of school. That right there is an example of how not all June, July, and August are the same.

I am not contradicting myself. But if you want to discredit me on what is truly a side-issue. Yes, I will take the bait because I cannot let your false statements stand. I never said that June 1 - Aug. 31 has the same demand. I'm sure RCI has the stats to even break July up into even more bands of trade value. A week that includes July 4th would obviously be the most requested of all.

Our kids first school day was August 23rd and they will finish at the end of May, but we are in a small district with only a few schools. However, San Diego Unified School District (the 2nd largest school district in California - 225 schools), didn't start school until Sept. 7th and Los Angeles Unified (the largest school district in CA with 1,200 schools) didn't start until Sept. 11th. Most private schools, state colleges and universities in our area to not start school until after Labor Day in September. It has been this way for at least the last 20 years. So, a few million Southern California families are available to take a SoCal beach vacation in August. Besides, not everyone has kids in school.

Besides owning at my resort for over 10 years, we also have owned a vacation rental in this same area for over 10 years. For the past 5 years, our numbers have been about the same: we rent 3 out of 4 June weeks, 100% of the July weeks, 3 out of 4 of the August weeks, and even 3 out of 4 of the September weeks to people from Arizona or desert areas where it is still REALLY hot. So, although I disagree with RCI trade power allocations that treat only 1 week of June & 1 week of August as the most desirable -- it doesn't really matter because you are arguing with me on a side issue. What I care about is:

An owner's ability to trade back into their own resort, irrespective of the trade power assigned to their week. (Not other resorts, mind you, just their home resort where they own.)

..... It is very clear at least to me that each of you is just trying to discredit the other and push your own agendas than actually stick with the value of the posting and the forum, which is help educate and explain things.

Maybe others disagree with me, but it would be nice if this type of commentary could be relegated to somewhere else besides here. Thanks.

to DocPepsi,
Posts such as yours: sharing your opinion, then stating that I have (foolishly) contradicted myself in my post -- require a response. Otherwise, it would appear that you know what you're talking about, and I don't. But, if you truly want everyone to play nice in the sandbox, that means you should hold yourself to the same high standard.

I don't know if you work for RCI, or not. But it is also odd that you are yet, one more RCI-defender who just joined our BBS 12 days ago (11/10/2010) to tell me how wrong I am, and how this new program is really good & more fair & wonderful. Maybe it is for some. But maybe it's not for some others. Everyone will have to weigh it against their own situation.

I for one, am hoping that RCI will do the right thing, and put the owner preference back in place as it used to be.

Last edited:

irisheaven

TUG Member
Reaction score
Question on NEW RCI Trading System

I have a couple questions.

1) Is trading strictly based on your trading power number or is it still by season's also? Ex...if I own a white week w/20 TP, can I get a Red week 20 TP?

2) The chart below lists available units at one particular resort. My question is, why would the same week be 1/2 the points in a different year?

2 Bedrooms 6 (4) Fri 30-Mar-2012 Fri 06-Apr-2012 23
2 Bedrooms 6 (6) Sat 31-Mar-2012 Sat 07-Apr-2012 23
2 Bedrooms 6 (4) Sat 31-Mar-2012 Sat 07-Apr-2012 23
2 Bedrooms 6 (4) Fri 06-Apr-2012 Fri 13-Apr-2012 23
2 Bedrooms 6 (6) Sat 07-Apr-2012 Sat 14-Apr-2012 23
2 Bedrooms 6 (4) Sat 07-Apr-2012 Sat 14-Apr-2012 23
2 Bedrooms 6 (6) Sat 02-Apr-2011 Sat 09-Apr-2011 11
2 Bedrooms 6 (4) Fri 08-Apr-2011 Fri 15-Apr-2011 12
2 Bedrooms 6 (4) Sat 09-Apr-2011 Sat 16-Apr-2011 12
2 Bedrooms 6 (6) Sat 09-Apr-2011 Sat 16-Apr-2011 12

Thanks,
Sarah

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
I have a couple questions.

1) Is trading strictly based on your trading power number or is it still by season's also? Ex...if I own a white week w/20 TP, can I get a Red week 20 TP?

2) The chart below lists available units at one particular resort. My question is, why would the same week be 1/2 the points in a different year?

2 Bedrooms 6 (4) Fri 30-Mar-2012 Fri 06-Apr-2012 23
2 Bedrooms 6 (6) Sat 31-Mar-2012 Sat 07-Apr-2012 23
2 Bedrooms 6 (4) Sat 31-Mar-2012 Sat 07-Apr-2012 23
2 Bedrooms 6 (4) Fri 06-Apr-2012 Fri 13-Apr-2012 23
2 Bedrooms 6 (6) Sat 07-Apr-2012 Sat 14-Apr-2012 23
2 Bedrooms 6 (4) Sat 07-Apr-2012 Sat 14-Apr-2012 23
2 Bedrooms 6 (6) Sat 02-Apr-2011 Sat 09-Apr-2011 11
2 Bedrooms 6 (4) Fri 08-Apr-2011 Fri 15-Apr-2011 12
2 Bedrooms 6 (4) Sat 09-Apr-2011 Sat 16-Apr-2011 12
2 Bedrooms 6 (6) Sat 09-Apr-2011 Sat 16-Apr-2011 12

Thanks,
Sarah

I think the difference is the length of time until the usage week. Those you show with low weeks are just a few months from now, where the ones with higher numbers are the next year.

Last edited:

lolibeachgirl

TUG Member
Reaction score
abdibile,
The only searches I've done are for Hawaii, so the list I get that matches one of my (ex's) deposits, is a really short list. His deposit values are only 10 (studio from 2 years ago), and 15 2br (with less than 6 months). Plus I reduce my search down to Kauai, sometimes all the way down to Princeville, so sometimes I don't get a list of matches at all....

"Roger"

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
...What I care about is:

An owner's ability to trade back into their own resort, irrespective of the trade power assigned to their week. (Not other resorts, mind you, just their home resort where they own.)....
Rene,

[Just so that you know in advance, I don't expect to get into a back in forth discussion on this issue. This will be my one post.]

I fully understand what you lost and it was valuable. Your ability to trade back into your own resort for a prime week (one in which your kids are not in school) certainly was a bonus. Still, there are two sides to every story and all I am going to try to do is get you to see the other side.

Years ago when I first joined TUG (I think that you are a long standing member yourself), I remember some mildly heated discussions about resorts where floating weeks spanned over some less to more desirable weeks. None of these resorts had trade back priorities. Some of them (the ones that led to the somewhat heated discussions) gave reservation priorty to those who actually planned to use the week that they reserved over those who planned to trade. On one side we had TUGGERs saying that was totally unfair to exchangers - that they had as much claim to prime weeks as users. On the other side, there were those who said that if a resort set a priority on giving the best weeks to owners who planned to enjoy vacationing where they bought that was the resorts perogative. I won't take sides on this debate.

Apparently, what was different about your resort was that owners (collectively) were able to eat their cake and have it too. Let me explain with an imaginary two owner deal.

Alice is an exchanger and she reserves a July week for the purpose of exchanging. Bill reserves an late August (or September) week but uses the resort priority to trade back into the resort for Alice's week. At the end of the day, Bill has a July week and Alice has maximum trading power. Put differently, RCI has given maximum trading power to an owner at your resort, but only has a lower power week (the August week) to show for it.

From the point of view of an outsider, this seems unfair. An owner at your resort ends up with maximum trading power (and, in all likelihood, gets a prime week somewhere else), but someone trading in can only get a less desirable week at your resort. [Admittedly, I did not include the fact that RCI got an exchange fee out of the deal, but still...]

In the end, it seems like your resort got away with something - being able to put less desirable weeks into the RCI system, but always getting maximum trading power for its owners. Maybe rather than being mad at the change, you should be thankful for all the years where the resort was able to accomplish this.

Regardless of whether you accept this point of view, no hard feelings. Hopefully, with most weeks during your float system being within the good range for your family (I hope for your sake this is true - you never said how far into the fall the float period extended), you will always be able to reserve a desirable week and what concerns you will never become an issue. Best of luck.

catcher24

TUG Member
Reaction score
Question: Do you need to have a deposit in your account in order to see how many TP a possible exchange will take? I've been running vacation searches to see what might be available for my own units TP before I deposit any time with RCI. However, when I click on the Available Units button for a resort it brings up the units OK, but under Price all it lists are the words Exchange Fee, and under the Exchange Trading Power column, all of the spaces are blank. I'm thinking this is because I have no week deposited with RCI but I'm not sure. If so, I'm not very happy about having to deposit a week before I can see what I might be able to exchange it for. Any help/info is appreciated.

elaine

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Eagles Nest, DVC-AKV, HHI
3/30/2012 is prime spring break

Sarah, in 2011, Easter is 4/23 and the demand for March/early April weeks is not as great. For 2012, the week prior to Easter starts 3/30/12. Thus, all those 2012 weeks in your post are either the week prior to or after Easter. Although spring breaks vary, for certain areas (Orlando, for one) the week prior to Easter has the highest demand, with the week after 2nd highest of all the spring breaks--this is proven by those weeks always being premium season for DVC points, number of days that WDW closes due to capacity, airfares, etc. I am certain RCI has tracked demand and thus the high values for that time in 2012 vs. 2011. If you have a floating week during this season, always pick the week prior to Easter for this area to deposit.

Last edited:

Carolinian

TUG Member
Reaction score
"Roger" you never seem to let an opportunity to defend RCI pass, do you?

While I have never used this internal trading preference myself, I sympathize with those who did and lost it, not with RCI. RCI promoted the internal trade preference in the materials they provided to developers to help sell weeks (and therefore RCI membership) for many years. Many bought in reliance on that. It is just immoral and unethical for RCI to snatch it away. And it was absolutely dishonest for RCI to tell members that they were not changing the trading powers, only revealing the numbers. That has clearly been shown to have been a lie. I am wondering when the RCI Happies on this board who kept telling us that we should believe that RCI promise will admit that they were wrong.

One of the big problems with RCI's valuation system is that in both late spring/early summer and late summer/early fall many places is that while these weeks rise incrementally week by week in spring and fall incrementally week by week in the fall in real value but RCI uses grids that lump large groups of these weeks together. If you own on the low end of one of those blocks, then your week is overvalued and you are given institutionalized trades up but if you own at the high end of one of those blocks, you are hosed. Lumping too many weeks together for valuation purposes seems to be an inherent flaw of published points type systems, and now pops up in an unpublished one, too. This to me has always been one of the huge drawbacks to RCI Points, and now it is in RCI "Weeks", too!

Rene,

[Just so that you know in advance, I don't expect to get into a back in forth discussion on this issue. This will be my one post.]

I fully understand what you lost and it was valuable. Your ability to trade back into your own resort for a prime week (one in which your kids are not in school) certainly was a bonus. Still, there are two sides to every story and all I am going to try to do is get you to see the other side.

Years ago when I first joined TUG (I think that you are a long standing member yourself), I remember some mildly heated discussions about resorts where floating weeks spanned over some less to more desirable weeks. None of these resorts had trade back priorities. Some of them (the ones that led to the somewhat heated discussions) gave reservation priorty to those who actually planned to use the week that they reserved over those who planned to trade. On one side we had TUGGERs saying that was totally unfair to exchangers - that they had as much claim to prime weeks as users. On the other side, there were those who said that if a resort set a priority on giving the best weeks to owners who planned to enjoy vacationing where they bought that was the resorts perogative. I won't take sides on this debate.

Apparently, what was different about your resort was that owners (collectively) were able to eat their cake and have it too. Let me explain with an imaginary two owner deal.

Alice is an exchanger and she reserves a July week for the purpose of exchanging. Bill reserves an late August (or September) week but uses the resort priority to trade back into the resort for Alice's week. At the end of the day, Bill has a July week and Alice has maximum trading power. Put differently, RCI has given maximum trading power to an owner at your resort, but only has a lower power week (the August week) to show for it.

From the point of view of an outsider, this seems unfair. An owner at your resort ends up with maximum trading power (and, in all likelihood, gets a prime week somewhere else), but someone trading in can only get a less desirable week at your resort. [Admittedly, I did not include the fact that RCI got an exchange fee out of the deal, but still...]

In the end, it seems like your resort got away with something - being able to put less desirable weeks into the RCI system, but always getting maximum trading power for its owners. Maybe rather than being mad at the change, you should be thankful for all the years where the resort was able to accomplish this.

Regardless of whether you accept this point of view, no hard feelings. Hopefully, with most weeks during your float system being within the good range for your family (I hope for your sake this is true - you never said how far into the fall the float period extended), you will always be able to reserve a desirable week and what concerns you will never become an issue. Best of luck.

miamidan

Reaction score
im nervous too about cancellations ... anyone?

and agree with previous posters about the infighting ...

maybe i am answering the wrong question but, on cancels your trading power i think is recalculated with the deposit calculator. insurance can protect it.

miamidan

Reaction score
"Roger" you never seem to let an opportunity to defend RCI pass, do you?

While I have never used this internal trading preference myself, I sympathize with those who did and lost it, not with RCI. RCI promoted the internal trade preference in the materials they provided to developers to help sell weeks (and therefore RCI membership) for many years. Many bought in reliance on that. It is just immoral and unethical for RCI to snatch it away. And it was absolutely dishonest for RCI to tell members that they were not changing the trading powers, only revealing the numbers. That has clearly been shown to have been a lie. I am wondering when the RCI Happies on this board who kept telling us that we should believe that RCI promise will admit that they were wrong.

One of the big problems with RCI's valuation system is that in both late spring/early summer and late summer/early fall many places is that while these weeks rise incrementally week by week in spring and fall incrementally week by week in the fall in real value but RCI uses grids that lump large groups of these weeks together. If you own on the low end of one of those blocks, then your week is overvalued and you are given institutionalized trades up but if you own at the high end of one of those blocks, you are hosed. Lumping too many weeks together for valuation purposes seems to be an inherent flaw of published points type systems, and now pops up in an unpublished one, too. This to me has always been one of the huge drawbacks to RCI Points, and now it is in RCI "Weeks", too!

I have a friend who got a studio week in a terrible terrible location with seriously high supply and low supply. He never went there but, knew it had trade preference in a large mini system. In his words he "scammed" the system for years for two bedroom prime weeks.

He is a little bummed now as his unit has low teens but, he does not think it is unfair. He just adjusted his portfolio and picked a prime week off of that inefficient resale market that is not indicative of the real market :wave:

Timeshare Von

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham (77k points at Myrtle Beach/Westwinds)
For the most part, it takes a high demand week (think holidays or summer) in a high demand resort or area to need a trading power over 30. There are some (like Manhattan Club) where everything is higher, but those seem to be pretty rare.

My (floating) Oahu studio is at least 31, and goes as high as 49 (Christmas week).

sandkastle4966

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
QUESTION: cancelling a pre Nov exchange

Has anyone tried:

Cancelling a pre-november exchange for a deposit that has passed?

For example - an exchange using a summer 2010 week for something "next year".

Did you get the week back as a "new week" - with Trade Power?
If you check the calculator for the resort/interval of the deposit for "next year" - did you get the calculated trade power or was it greatly different.

Were you able to "get your trade back" using the week and getting change back ?

(I have a 58 trade power week using a 2011 calcular with a 30 exchange - afraid to try cancel and "get it back".)

catcher24

TUG Member
Reaction score
Try this

Pick a region i.e. USA to search, then scroll all the way down to the bottom and open up Exchange Trading Power, then choose which trading power you would like to see, then go back up and cancel out search area USA. Then go back down again and reopen Exchange Trading Power. This will then show you all the units with the trade power you have chosen throughout the world.

Right now I see 459 units that have a Trade Power Value of 33 +

I attempted this but there is no button/link at the bottom of my page for Exchange Trading Power...:confused:

sandkastle4966

TUG Member
Reaction score
FACT: "prime" more "GIVE" than to "TAKE"

I played around with some prime ski weeks - what would I need to "take" the week in TP, and how much would I receive if I deposited that week ("give").

Using 3 resorts that there was prime availability for, I found that you got 3-5 more points on average to deposit the week than to get the week.

Conversely, where there was "non-prime" availability - you got 3-5 "less" than it would take to "get" the same week.

(We need to standardize on some language - GET is confusing - what it takes to GET IT, or what I GET FOR it !)

GIVE (what you receive) GET (what it would take)
GOT ( what you receive) GET (what it would take)
GET (what you receive) NEED (what it would take)

suggestions?

"Roger"

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
"Roger" you never seem to let an opportunity to defend RCI pass, do you?...
I couldn't decide if this was an attempt at humor or not. At this writing, Carolinian has posted 57 times in this thread, in every case attacking RCI. This will be my 6th post.

Since Carolinian always accuses me of mistating his position, I will offer a correction on his statement.

Yes, I do prefer points based systems (whether RCI or not). I think that they are more open and fairer. It comes as no surprise to me that people who are in points based systems seem less suspicious and happier with timesharing.

What I feel even more strongly about is that every exchange system should make known how they value their weeks. Furthermore, I think anyone should be able to choose whatever system suits them best. (That includes not just independents, but both RCI and II.) At that point, people could compare and decide which system works best for their own interests. In addition, we would have something more closely approaching true supply and demand. (That phrase has been severely abused on these boards to describe a system of secret pricing combined with I take everything that you own in order to make this trade regardless of whether the two are equal or not. To call that supply and demand is total newspeak.)

The above position has been stated many times. Carolinian construes this as being RCI happy (his newest attempt to win debates by trying to debase anyone opposed to him). I get confused about how complete openess with the ability to use whatever system you like is RCI happy.

In conclusion, the various points systems (not just RCI, but Disney, Hyatt, HGVC, etc.) were a nice step toward more openess. (Is it an accident that those hotel systems with reputations to defend chose openess?) RCI's recent move toward more transparency is another big step toward lifting the shroud of secrecy and suspicion from timesharing. Personally, at this point, I would advise anyone to avoid any system that fails to follow suit. (I realize that many people are stuck and have little choice. Pressure them!)

Susan2 said it well earlier in one of these threads - this is a huge step toward cleaning up the sespool that timesharing has historically been.

sandkastle4966

TUG Member
Reaction score
FACT: this is supposed to be the Fact thread

every post by Carolinian is slamming RCI, and then we get a slew slamming back. MOVE THIS DISCUSSION TO OPINION !

I want to learn something here, or share what I have fund - not keep hearing the arguements from the clearly unhappy, RCI disliking Carolinian. He (she) has already made it VERY CLEAR that they are not happy (just like several others who own specific weeks that they think are just dandy but don't get the TP they think they deserve).

I skip every post now from Carolinian, but I still have to wade thru the responses to see if there was a nuget of truth in there....

Can't we please get to questions and facts......

krmlaw

TUG Member
Reaction score
im trying to enter an ongoing search, but cannot, is anyone else have a problem?

bnoble

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have not been able to enter an ongoing search at all since 11/15. I have not followed up very carefully on it though.

MOVE THIS DISCUSSION TO OPINION !
It is clear that individual members won't bother respecting the boundaries between the fact and opinion threads. The only way to preserve any separation would be for the moderators to take a firm hand. So far, they have chosen not to. Perhaps they will. Alternatively, perhaps it would be worth creating a new FAQ for the TUG articles page.

Last edited: