• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

We have 3 vacations in Orlando by November. Should I get the Sun Pass?

NboroGirl

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Beachline (528) is a Sunpass route. So if your EZ-Pass works in other Florida Sunpass tolls, it should would on Beachline.

I know, it's always been a Sunpass road, but we were told that it wouldn't work on that road. I didn't want to get hit with a hefty surcharge so we never attempted it. It's been a few years and now it looks like it does work. I just wondered if anyone had experience using it successfully on the Bee Line.

hajjah

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott's Shadow Ridge Enclaves
Resort In Cocoa Beach, FL
Please advise: I just setup an account with this Uni Pass I bought on Amazon. I've added my car, which I will not need to use in my state. So, when I get to Orlando in two weeks, how do I change my personal vehicle on the account to the rental? The information online is not clear to me. I'll be changing to a rental 3 times in Orlando between September and November. By the way, I guess that this pass will not pay the toll driving from the airport in Savannah to Hilton Head. I never get on that toll road, but take the back way into Hilton Head from the airport.

Oh, if I don't need to use this Uni pass until next month, should I put it on my windshield now, or just wait until I get to Orlando and remove my car and replace with the rental? Is this how it works?

Last edited:

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Ocean (Enrolled)
MVC Trust Points
The Hilton Head Island cross island road is no longer a toll road.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I can't answer your info about how to do it but if I have to buy another transponder, I'll buy Uni since it works in NOW 19 states and my Sunpass only in 3 (GA, FL & NC) IIRC. As I understand it, it works everywhere for any of the systems it covers.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
I can't answer your info about how to do it but if I have to buy another transponder, I'll buy Uni since it works in NOW 19 states and my Sunpass only in 3 (GA, FL & NC) IIRC. As I understand it, it works everywhere for any of the systems it covers.
If you buy the newer Sunpass Pro, it also works in 19 states. It costs the same as Uni and it seems that the online interface is more intuitive.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
If you buy the newer Sunpass Pro, it also works in 19 states. It costs the same as Uni and it seems that the online interface is more intuitive.
Thanks, hadn't seen that one. Good to know.

hajjah

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Thanks for the information that Hilton Head cross island road no longer has a fee. The last time I went just before the pandemic, I flew into HHH instead of SAV. Ok, so I still don't understand if I need to put the Uni in my vehicle now since I won't be using it, or wait until I arrive in Orlando to add the rental car?

Last edited:

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Thanks for the information that Hilton Head cross island road no longer has a fee. The last time I went just before the pandemic, I flew into HHH instead of SAV. Ok, so I still don't understand if I need to put the Uni in my vehicle now since I won't be using it, or wait until I arrive in Orlando to add the renal car?
If you won't be using it where you live, no need to put it in your vehicle now. Just put it in your rental in Orlando and add the rental at that time.

hajjah

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
If you won't be using it where you live, no need to put it in your vehicle now. Just put it in your rental in Orlando and add the rental at that time.
Thanks so much. This is what I wasn't sure about. We do have a few roads here with EZPass, but they aren't where I live. I was thinking about driving on that road just to test it out, but with gas being $4.00 p/gal for premium, I would be crazy to waste it. :wall:

Reaction score
As an Orlando-area resident, I can say YOU DO NOT NEED A SUNPASS (or any toll transponder)! It is true Florida is #1 in terms of miles of toll roads in the entire USA, but it is a waste of $$$. You can easily drive any roads in Orlando (or Florida) and never touch a toll road, and only lose maybe 10 minutes drive time. If you want to throw away your $$$ and only gain a few minutes, it's your loss. For instance, if you think running a toll road will get you to the Mouse House quicker, that is true, BUT you will still wait in a long line parking then getting into the park. Same with going to/from Southeast FL. It is actually better to drive US-441 or US-27, it is slower BUT you get to see small towns and landmarks that you can't see on the Reagan (aka Florida) Turnpike.

TS

Rolltydr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
CWA, Ocean Blvd, Fairfield Glade
To each his own, I guess. I will gladly pay a toll in order to avoid, for the most part, congestion on the interstates or the slow crawl through small towns.

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
We use Waze for GPS and set it to avoid toll roads.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
To each his own, I guess. I will gladly pay a toll in order to avoid, for the most part, congestion on the interstates or the slow crawl through small towns.
Same here. In Jacksonville we have a number of express lanes that take Sunpass. During rush hour times there is a $0.50 toll. We take them no matter what and it has saved us tremendous amounts of time.

Rolltydr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Same here. In Jacksonville we have a number of express lanes that take Sunpass. During rush hour times there is a $0.50 toll. We take them no matter what and it has saved us tremendous amounts of time.
I got stuck in an accident in Orlando a couple weeks ago because I forgot to get the transponder out of my wife’s car. I was kicking myself and considering if I should just purchase another one for my car. I haven’t yet but if I get stuck again, I definitely will. Cars and roads are made for moving, not being stationary.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
I got stuck in an accident in Orlando a couple weeks ago because I forgot to get the transponder out of my wife’s car. I was kicking myself and considering if I should just purchase another one for my car. I haven’t yet but if I get stuck again, I definitely will. Cars and roads are made for moving, not being stationary.
The new Orlando I4 tolls are great.

If you have all your plates registered in the Sunpass website, you should have still been able to use the toll lanes and it would have just picked up the plate and worked the same way.

hajjah

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Wait what Orlando I-4 tolls? We're going 3 times between September and November, but I do have the Uni Pass now. I had no idea tolls have been added to this interstate. We are normally only on 528 to/from the airport. Oh, we do get on I-4 to going to the Sheraton Vistana on 535. I don't plan on paying a toll to get there from I-4.

Rolltydr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The new Orlando I4 tolls are great.

If you have all your plates registered in the Sunpass website, you should have still been able to use the toll lanes and it would have just picked up the plate and worked the same way.
Good to know. Thanks. We just got it a few weeks ago and I wasn’t sure so didn’t want to chance it.

Rolltydr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wait what Orlando I-4 tolls? We're going 3 times between September and November, but I do have the Uni Pass now. I had no idea tolls have been added to this interstate. We are normally only on 528 to/from the airport. Oh, we do get on I-4 to going to the Sheraton Vistana on 535. I don't plan on paying a toll to get there from I-4.
If you want to use the express lanes, which I will.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
There are only tolls on I4 if you take the Express Lanes. The Express Lanes are all north of the Beachline (538). There would be no I4 tolls if coming from the Airport to Vistana Resort. There would be tolls on the Beachline. That said though. I actually suggest getting off the Beachline at International Drive and then go down to Vistana Resort that way (via World Center Drive (536). You will save a lot of traffic on I4 and a mess of construction on 535 at I4 with the new I4-The Ultimate where they have taken out Cross Roads Shopping Center.

hajjah

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Thanks so much for this additional information. We're at Cypress Harbour, Grande Vista and Sheraton Vistana in September. Lakeshore Reserve is in November. We do use International Drive to get to 192 for the restaurants and some stores.

MikeM132

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the information. It looks like I'll get the E-Pass Uni transponder on Amazon since the Visitor Pass is only found at terminal A. I only use terminal B with Delta. It would be too much for wheelchair assist to take me to the A side for the device and then also need to return it to A. My rental car is always using B.
Good idea. I've had ezpass since it began and converted to EPass extra, the to EPass UNI (got the black one ). Works everywhere but California, simple to switch cars .... I'm in Orlando with it now) and buy once pay zero ongoing fees. Although EZPass now works here, almost all of the charge an account fee

MikeM132

TUG Member
Reaction score
We brought our EZ-pass with us to Orlando once about 3-4 years ago and were told by the rental company that it works on some toll roads but it doesn't work on the Bee LIne (528), which is the only toll road we use on our trips to Orlando, so we kept it in our luggage and paid the tolls by hand. I just Googled and see that EZ-pass can be used on all Florida toll roads now. Has anyone used it successfully on the Bee line?
Confirm EZPass works on 528 now. I'm in Orlando now. We did ditch EZPass for EPass UNI a few years ago. We live in Pa.

sfwilshire

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Tristram's Landing, Tree Tops Gatlinburg, Mystic Dunes, Sheraton Vistana Spas & Fountains
I didn't read all of the responses, but we've found it very useful. We bought the $5 one from a rest area since we always drive the same van for travelling. If the auto industry ever gets back to normal we'll buy a new van and need a new pass.

Originally there was no discount on the FL tolls, but I believe now there is. We've also used it in Atlanta to bypass traffic and for the toll on the Tappan Zee Bridge (I refuse to use the new name, LOL). I don't have it set to reload automatically, so I let it get down to a very low balance if I'm not going to be using it for a long period of time.

Sheila

hajjah

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Help! We just arrived in Orlando today. When I got the car at Fox, for the very first time in 26 years, they told me their rental transcoder identifies all tolls and that I will still be charged even though I have a Uni Pass? If this is true, there’s no point in me having one. What do the rest of you do to use the Uni Pass in a rental? I have two more vacations in Orlando by November.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Is there any way to disable the Fox transponder that is in the car? Some we have seen have a switch or a slider that you can use to disable it. Other than that, it might mean your next rental should be through another agency that uses PlatePass instead of a transponder. I know Alamo cars don't have transponders in them.