• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

We’re Ready for Molokai

slip

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 20 wks; Maui Schooner, 1.5 wks; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI
Another crappy morning in paradise. :D:cool:
2C82E38C-7FBA-4C0F-A6EB-F499E2FE3ECF.jpeg

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 20 wks; Maui Schooner, 1.5 wks; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI
Workday at WaveCrest. They are out mowing and trimming. Can’t even see where they mowed but they do it every week. :D

Too noisy, my wife retreated from the lanai.:D
I’m going to start breakfast.

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Not everyone’s cup of tea but I am in Hawaii. Spam, eggs, Hash Browns and Toast for breakfast on the lanai.
409588DF-8004-4975-8F6B-1CE63458C15E.jpeg

Fredflintstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Rent only
Always love the pictures Jeff. Thank you for sharing and keep them coming. I was and still may try to hook up with you IF the Canada and US border reopen by then. I initially had the booking for Honolulu Dec 1 to 12. It’s still there but I may need to cancel soon depending in the border.

Been stuck here in Canada but saying that the summers are super duper...Winters, well that’s another story. That’s ok, I have a cottage 300 feet North of the border and have been painting and doing upkeep.

How’s the unemployment in Hawaii? A friend in Hawaii said its aweful. Unemployment at about 35 percent?? I heard the food banks lines are nuts so I’ve been donating $$$ to help out a bit.

Thanks for sharing. Always appreciated.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Always love the pictures Jeff. Thank you for sharing and keep them coming. I was and still may try to hook up with you IF the Canada and US border reopen by then. I initially had the booking for Honolulu Dec 1 to 12. It’s still there but I may need to cancel soon depending in the border.

Been stuck here in Canada but saying that the summers are super duper...Winters, well that’s another story. That’s ok, I have a cottage 300 feet North of the border and have been painting and doing upkeep.

How’s the unemployment in Hawaii? A friend in Hawaii said its aweful. Unemployment at about 35 percent?? I heard the food banks lines are nuts so I’ve been donating $$$ to help out a bit.

Thanks for sharing. Always appreciated.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Well, keep me posted when you can make it over.

Unemployment is the second highest in the US the last time I heard. My company has been involved with the Food Bank and I was going to go by and check it out with a friend but the line went for miles. I posted that in a thread here somewhere.

We’ll be headed back into town to get some more groceries today so I was thinking of taking some pictures of Kaunakakai town.

controller1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN OF
Westin Nanea OF
Westin FLEX
Is that where the Hard Rock was? I'm a Hard Rock junkie. Was bummed it was gone last time to Maui. I know I'm in the minority, but I like the food at HR and I like the souvenirs too. If that is the location it had a great view!
Yes, I believe that is the one.

If I'm not mistaken Hard Rock was on the corner of the current outlet mall while Ruth's Chris is directly behind (further down Front Street) the former Hard Rock. Ruth's Chris is located directly beneath Warren & Annabelle's. I believe when I checked last September the former Hard Rock location was still vacant.

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
We used to enjoy the Hard Rock in Kona. Back when smoking was allowed in restaurants their smoking section was outside, which was the nicest area of the restaurant. We didn't like that as we don't smoke. That location has been closed for quite a few years.

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
If I'm not mistaken Hard Rock was on the corner of the current outlet mall while Ruth's Chris is directly behind (further down Front Street) the former Hard Rock. Ruth's Chris is located directly beneath Warren & Annabelle's. I believe when I checked last September the former Hard Rock location was still vacant.

Yes, I believe you are correct now that you described it.

amycurl

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I think the universal acceptance of Spam is one of my mother's favorite things about Hawaii. ;) I, personally, only like the Portugese sausage spam, which is basically impossible to find on the mainland.

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I think the universal acceptance of Spam is one of my mother's favorite things about Hawaii. ;) I, personally, only like the Portugese sausage spam, which is basically impossible to find on the mainland.

Yes, that is one of our favorites too. I know when it first came out it was only available in Hawaii. I don’t know if that ever changed and it made it to the mainland.

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
We stopped into Kaunakakai town to get a key made and some other things at the Ace Hardware store and then we got a few things at Friendly’s.
Here’s a few pictures I took while downtown. Cheapest I have seen gas on Molokai too, $4.83. :D I think I saw the other gas station by Ono Fish and Shrimp had gas for $4.81.
F3ADBB0E-0E71-4EE3-AFAB-FF1695138FFB.jpeg
43770455-83DB-4996-AA6F-CF26A75AD1AA.jpeg
DB88BD81-A18F-4829-8E93-5D4083010D6D.jpeg
3DBFFC17-D38C-48DE-821C-5BCC915155EE.jpeg
ED6DB401-0AAA-4F43-B48F-148F3061EB52.jpeg
5A26B604-5467-4A43-8392-69B42EFF92A1.jpeg
B9CDF1F2-91C3-4580-B609-A7EB7FD44731.jpeg

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
We had some left over Char Sui Chicken so I diced that up and made some Fried Rice with it. This is definitely the most we have cooked at home. We’re really happy with or new refrigerator too. Nicer to have plenty of room. It will work well when we are living here full time.

It was 88 for a high today but the trade winds have been great and there is a constant steady cooling breeze.
BE7B8828-F9CB-4492-9FD8-57E6133B061E.jpeg

Last edited:

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I must have dropped more fried rice than I thought because I had some visitors. :D
1907B95F-3317-47FB-8507-B31EE8F93CEF.jpeg
2FE70500-64BA-40B0-B7F9-7FB00AC11DC7.jpeg
2C2F7775-1C0C-4F69-8DCB-75024A13188F.jpeg

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Looks like a little rain over Maui and Lanai tonight.
14D0C937-E8FE-4AD5-A869-4022B1327E64.jpeg
DE98BB46-4DBF-4E02-AAA4-AA867EBE7B88.jpeg
A0778764-FFBA-4C86-95AC-6B6B8F5604CA.jpeg

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
You may have to enlarge this one to see it but I was able to see Kaho’olawe tonight. There were some clouds are it just like Maui and Lanai.
515B958A-552A-4C9C-8BF4-8D50F184D7C6.jpeg

Tamaradarann

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC South Beach, HGVC Las Vegas, HGVC Las Vegas on the Strip, HGVC Sea World, Misner Place
We stopped into Kaunakakai town to get a key made and some other things at the Ace Hardware store and then we got a few things at Friendly’s.
Here’s a few pictures I took while downtown. Cheapest I have seen gas on Molokai too, $4.83. :D I think I saw the other gas station by Ono Fish and Shrimp had gas for $4.81.
View attachment 22860View attachment 22861View attachment 22862View attachment 22863View attachment 22864View attachment 22865View attachment 22866
Wow that is expensive gas. I paid 1.93/gallon yesterday. I always new that Hawaii gas was more expensive but thought that it was $1.00/gallon more not $3/gallon more or more than double the price.

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
Love all your pictures but they are killing me. We so hope we are able to keep our 3 week trip to Kaua'i in September.

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Love all your pictures but they are killing me. We so hope we are able to keep our 3 week trip to Kaua'i in September.

I would definitely take the test and make a three week trip but everyone’s situation is different. Hope it works for you!

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wow that is expensive gas. I paid 1.93/gallon yesterday. I always new that Hawaii gas was more expensive but thought that it was $1.00/gallon more not $3/gallon more or more than double the price.

It’s only about $2.50 a gallon at Costco on Oahu, then it ranges from $2.90 to $3.40 elsewhere on Oahu.

Gas has always been the most expensive on Molokai. I haven’t been to Lanai but I would think it’s similar there. For most of my trips it has been $5.05 here on Molokai.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
It’s only about $2.50 a gallon at Costco on Oahu, then it ranges from $2.90 to $3.40 elsewhere on Oahu.

Gas has always been the most expensive on Molokai. I haven’t been to Lanai but I would think it’s similar there. For most of my trips it has been $5.05 here on Molokai.
When my daughter and I toured Kalaupapa one of the things we were told stuck with me. Everything they get is brought in by ship and I think they said they get one shipment per year (I may be wrong on that). That means they only get one shipment of gasoline. Whatever the price of gas is for that shipment, that is what is charged for the entire year. So at times they could be much more than other places, at times they could be much less.

Jeff, feel free to correct me if this is wrong.

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Breakfast this morning on the lanai. Looks like our morning mist of rain will be arriving soon though.
08D19FFD-9D64-46EE-8436-CF357FF3E0BF.jpeg

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
When my daughter and I toured Kalaupapa one of the things we were told stuck with me. Everything they get is brought in by ship and I think they said they get one shipment per year (I may be wrong on that). That means they only get one shipment of gasoline. Whatever the price of gas is for that shipment, that is what is charged for the entire year. So at times they could be much more than other places, at times they could be much less.

That was definitely the case with Kalaupapa. They did only get one big shipment a year during much of the time when it was in operation.

Molokai was getting two barges a week.Young Brothers is the company that currently services Molokai. With COVID they have hit some hard times and they are looking for some government assistance.

I read they wanted to change to only one shipment a week to Molokai but I never heard if that happened.

My company Services many of the restaurants here on Molokai and we ship through Young Brothers welekly.

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Here’s a picture of our morning misty rain that goes through almost every morning. Notice how you can’t even see Maui in the background. It’s not always rainbows and sunshine. :D :cool:
F0CD1A00-3F14-4C63-BC68-19E47DD19E5F.jpeg

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

I forgot to mention, I don’t know if that’s how the gas gets here or if that is shipped separately.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
That was definitely the case with Kalaupapa. They did only get one big shipment a year during much of the time when it was in operation.

Molokai was getting two barges a week.Young Brothers is the company that currently services Molokai. With COVID they have hit some hard times and they are looking for some government assistance.

I read they wanted to change to only one shipment a week to Molokai but I never heard if that happened.

My company Services many of the restaurants here on Molokai and we ship through Young Brothers welekly.
Is Kalaupapa no longer in operation? Are all of the residents now gone (either passed away or moved away)?