• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $23,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $23 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Water Leak in House and had to Cancel Vacation

rapmarks

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
I hate having my house torn apart. I have been able to hire a young man in Florida for some tasks and I save them up so I don’t have to climb on ladders. He told me he paints and while I am up north he is painting my house inside and out. I know he is a perfectionist so I am not worried. If there is a hurricane warning he will put my shutters up too. My neighbor said right now it is a mess. He offered to send me pictures but I don’t care to see the mess. I know getting new flooring is a real mess and I would not want to be in your shoes.
I bought 25 gallons of paint for the job and hope it is enough.

Panina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
Wishing you peace of mind. This is not the end of the world.
Please file your insurance claim ASAP. Insurance companies are a strange breed of companies in Florida.
Take your time, take plenty of photos of each damage room for your records and the insurance company.
Please read your home owner policy about water and sewage damages..
Good Luck.
I am looking at this as fate leading us where we need to be. We were contemplating renovating the baths and floors or moving. We were leaning towards moving to a smaller community. Since this fix will probably take months it stopped us in our tracks. One thing I have learned is to quickly adjust.

Panina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sort of good news. Aren’t the bedroom doors closed anyway?
Not really, one is actually a den with glass french doors.

Panina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Luxury vinyl is great as well.
I have had luxury vinyl in a prior home as well as doing vinyl in my moms condo and I loved it. The professional consensus for this home is tile floors. If I had tile floors the air conditioner backup would probably caused minimal damage. Unfortunately where the air condition unit was placed when the house was built was not the best place.

Panina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I prefer Carpet or Luxury Vinyl to any tile or stone.
What I prefer and what will minimize damage risk if it happens again are two different things. I can use a throw rug on the tile.

Panina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Nothing like porcelain tile. Especially the ones that really look like wood.
Wow, that is so nice. Did you put that throughout your home?

klpca

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Nothing like porcelain tile. Especially the ones that really look like wood.
We also did "wood" tile. I love the floors. It's been 11 years and they still look the same. I don't love that they are cold and hard on the feet but we have area rugs and I wear cushy slippers (I have RA and my feet always hurt, so it probably wouldn't bother me except for that).

Screenshot_20240618_193239_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20240618_193244_Gallery.jpg

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
I prefer Carpet or Luxury Vinyl to any tile or stone.

I pulled all of the carpet out and installed hardwood and tile. We have two flights of stairs that I wish I had went carpet on the stairs. The hardwood stairs are noisy and slippery when wearing socks.

Bill

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
We also did "wood" tile. I love the floors. It's been 11 years and they still look the same. I don't love that they are cold and hard on the feet but we have area rugs and I wear cushy slippers (I have RA and my feet always hurt, so it probably wouldn't bother me except for that).

View attachment 94846View attachment 94847

I see my next project. Carpet on the stairs.

Bill

joestein

TUG Member
Reaction score
Wow, that is so nice. Did you put that throughout your home?
It is my old house. We put that throughout the first floor, except for the powder room. It was a relatively cheap tile at under $4/sqft. But that was back in 2017/18 or so.

My new home has a beautiful wood floor throughout, but I am not a fan of the "wear". If I accidentally drop something heavy, it sometimes makes an indent on the floor. Plus it is in my kitchen and water and wood don't mix.

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
btw, here is the link to what we used. Wood tile They have lighter colors now, so there are more contemporary choices. The nice part is that the tile is textured to look more realistic, and the plank sizes are 8"x40" which helps make it look more like wood and less like tile. I didn't choose this, our decorator did, and she did a great job. It wasn't cheap but it has been worth every penny.

This isn't what I used, but I love it. The planks are 8"x48" - even better. Tile bar wood tile

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
I am looking at this as fate leading us where we need to be. We were contemplating renovating the baths and floors or moving. We were leaning towards moving to a smaller community. Since this fix will probably take months it stopped us in our tracks. One thing I have learned is to quickly adjust.
You were going to move AGAIN? How can you stand it?! Exhausting!

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
I pulled all of the carpet out and installed hardwood and tile. We have two flights of stairs that I wish I had went carpet on the stairs. The hardwood stairs are noisy and slippery when wearing socks.

Bill
You can put clear thin rubber strips on the edge of the stairs . We got them on Amazon for our other home and you couldn’t even notice them. And they worked great.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
It is my old house. We put that throughout the first floor, except for the powder room. It was a relatively cheap tile at under $4/sqft. But that was back in 2017/18 or so.

My new home has a beautiful wood floor throughout, but I am not a fan of the "wear". If I accidentally drop something heavy, it sometimes makes an indent on the floor. Plus it is in my kitchen and water and wood don't mix.
I had wood floors in my former house including the kitchen- for 32 years, as I do now- never had an issue with water. If some water gets on the floor- I simply wipe it up. It’s no big deal.

Dropping something can dent wood but I have found wood can take a beating if it’s decent wood.

Last edited:

Panina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
An exhausting day...the adjuster called me this morning. I was told (and it is no where clearly stated in my policy) that I will be reimbursed up to $3000 for emergency remediation but if the bill is more, unless they are part of the insurance network, no more would be paid. By using their network I am 100% covered no matter the cost. I immediately had to cancel the contract that I signed last night for the remediation company to represent me as well as having them remove their equipment immediately.

Also was told if for the repairs I don't use someone in their network, the maximum I can get is $10,000, in the network what it costs.

This sounds like an HMO policy. Just sharing for those of you in Florida insured under the states insurance Citizens. They say this is to keep costs down.

Meanwhile no call back for the continue water remediation from them and I will have to wait for the inspector to come out in 7 days, nothing available sooner. Meanwhile I sent in all the documentation required.

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Panina, please have many, many photos for the insurance adjuster to review and see the water damages.
Photos or videos of your home before the water damages and photos or videos showing the water damages.
Good luck and keep your head up.

Last edited:

Panina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Panina, please have many, many photos for the insurance adjuster to review and see the water damages.
Photos or videos of your home before the water damages and photos or videos showing the water damages.
Good luck and keep your head up.
They have everything. Remember I hired my own water remediation person and have his pictures. I have an air conditioner bill stating they fixed a leak. I have the leak detection company verifying it looks like the damage was caused by the air conditioner leak. If they want prior photos I can get them from the MLS listing when I purchased my home showing the floors were good.

Today the new water remediation company came from the insurance company and he doesn't feel the floors can be saved. I have to wait until next Friday, which is quite a while, for the inspector from the insurance company to come. My guess is the delay is from all the flooding that happened in South Florida recently. I have also gotten all the required documents to the Insurance Company's assesor. Now it is just waiting.

Panina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I had wood floors in my former house including the kitchen- for 32 years, as I do now- never had an issue with water. If done water gets on the floor- I simply wipe it up. It’s no big deal.

Dropping something can dent wood but I have found wood can take a beating if it’s decent wood.
If the water went over the wood I would not have the problem. It penetrated beneath the wood supposedly through the glue grooves. I was also told the finishing on the top of the wood I have does not allow the wood to dry underneath.

Panina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
You were going to move AGAIN? How can you stand it?! Exhausting!
We were discussing selling and moving. We realized this house is too big for us and wanted to downsize. Truthfully in the last two years what is important to me has drastically changed and I prefer life more simple.

Between selling costs and moving costs we wouldn't save much but we really prefer a smaller community. We were going back and forth, move or renovate. I look at this leak as faith to stay put and do the few renovations we want. After they fix my floors, we will probably update the tile in our kitchen. It is pure white with grout and we have to constantly clean it. Also will redo the shower and floor in the master bath. The old owners renovated the cabinets and counters so we would just finish it up.

So ultimately our final move is years from now, probably an Independent Living Community.

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
We were discussing selling and moving. We realized this house is too big for us and wanted to downsize. Truthfully in the last two years what is important to me has drastically changed and I prefer life more simple.

Between selling costs and moving costs we wouldn't save much but we really prefer a smaller community. We were going back and forth, move or renovate. I look at this leak as faith to stay put and do the few renovations we want. After they fix my floors, we will probably update the tile in our kitchen. It is pure white with grout and we have to constantly clean it. Also will redo the shower and floor in the master bath. The old owners renovated the cabinets and counters so we would just finish it up.

So ultimately our final move is years from now, probably an Independent Living Community.
"We." Did I miss a few posts or few years?