• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Water in restaurants

Patri

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Are restaurants required to serve water if asked by the patron, as in a glass for no charge, or maybe minimal? We were at the Outer Banks last week and one place said they didn't have water; we had to buy bottled. I did, but was not pleased.

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Are restaurants required to serve water if asked by the patron, as in a glass for no charge, or maybe minimal? We were at the Outer Banks last week and one place said they didn't have water; we had to buy bottled. I did, but was not pleased.

They'd only do it once to me. Eat somewhere else. And tell the management why.

Jim

am1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Some places have told me the same thing. Some have been because the tap water is not fit to drink. I am in the same boat in probably not returning unless the tap water is really not fit to drink. Or the beer is cheap enough.

Ty1on

TUG Member
Reaction score

Tell them that's fine, you'll just deduct the cost of your water from their tip. Watch how fast they find some icewater.

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
deleted
deleted

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
The tap water isn't fit to drink and they cook with it?

SunSand

TUG Member
Reaction score
A gallon of drinking water is less than a buck just about anywhere. If they can't afford drinking water included in the price of a meal, then what else are they cutting corners on. Quality of meat, soap or sanitizer? No thank you.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Tap water can be fit to cook with, but have an unpleasant taste that makes it unpalatable - like chlorine, or local minerals in the water.

RonB

TUG Member
Reaction score
We go to the Outer Banks at least once every year, and sometimes more. We have never had a restaurant tell us they didn't have water, but then the unfiltered water has had an off taste to us in past years. This year it did seem to be better though. I'm curious what place it was and if you don't want to say in open forum, I'd appreciate it if you would pm me the name.

BTW - Lighthouse Bagels in Corolla was sampling their Apple Fritter doughnuts last week - OMG they were great. I bought one to share with my wife and she said we had to get some to take home for friends ~ Ron

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Tell them that's fine, you'll just deduct the cost of your water from their tip. Watch how fast they find some icewater.

This would be my thought. I drink lots of water and only request ice water in restaurants. I don't really like soda and I don't like paying $2.50 for one either.

The one place I have to buy bottled water is in when dining in Mexico. It sure can drive up the cost of a meal with the amount that I can drink. Not sure how any municipal water in the USA can be unfit to drink. Perhaps not pleasant to drink, but it would have to be safe to drink unless there was some type of boil advisory.

visor

Reaction score
Tap water can be fit to cook with, but have an unpleasant taste that makes it unpalatable - like chlorine, or local minerals in the water.
This.
Whatever you do, do not threaten the tips *before* you're served... or you may have unknown "special" ingredients in your meal... :eek:

silentg

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
I always order water with no lemon, have heard bad things about lemon slices in or on drinks, and I always ask for a straw. Even carried them to Europe last June because, I came back sick the last few times I traveled without straws!
Silentg

Lydlady

TUG Member
Reaction score
I've never come across this type of situation. I almost always have a bottle of water with me but would still find this a little off-putting.

Ty1on

TUG Member
Reaction score
This.

Whatever you do, do not threaten the tips *before* you're served... or you may have unknown "special" ingredients in your meal... :eek:

You raise a very valid point. One could wind up ingesting all sort of liquid EXCEPT tapwater.

x3 skier

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Steamboat Grand, The West,
Raintree and, formerly, The Allen House
Since the server has no control over the restaurant management policy, why punish them by withholding the tip? If it bugs you so much, just leave and tell them why. That gets the attention of the management.

Cheers

wed100105

TUG Member
Reaction score
I always order water with no lemon, have heard bad things about lemon slices in or on drinks, and I always ask for a straw. Even carried them to Europe last June because, I came back sick the last few times I traveled without straws!
Silentg

I am a fan of straws, too. However, just out of curiosity, do you bring your own silverware? It essentially touches the same way that lips do to a cup.

VegasBella

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Carlsbad Inn
Avenue Plaza
Riviera Beach & Spa
Aquamarine Villas

presley

TUG Member
Reaction score
I had a waiter in Del Mar, CA tell me that they only served bottled water because the tap water was so bad. It was an expensive restaurant. I don't believe that they couldn't afford a filter for the tap. I think they just wanted to sell a $7. bottle of water.

geekette

Reaction score
Perhaps after the recent "toilet to tap" water promotion, restaurants don't want you thinking they have their own "filtration system".

Tap water varies but since I'm on a well with really good water softener and add-on drinking water filter, if water doesn't taste like Nothing, then I'm not happy. Bottled ok by me, it's consistent quality.

I don't bother concerning myself with lemons or straws. If what's gonna get me hasn't killed me yet, it's not gonna. There was a big ice machine expose a few years back around here. Might not be a lemon, lack of straw or the water itself making you sick. In fact, someone recently put a sign in our break room asking people to please wash their hands before handling the scoop in the ice machine. :eek:

Sandy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Silentg

Hi, can you tell me what the significance of a straw is? I have trouble with very cold drinks touching my teeth :eek: so a straw might help. I usually take small sips. I have heard others saying using a straw helps. I tried the special sensitivity toothpastes, but they didn't really help. Is cold on your teeth why you request a straw?

Patri

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I could tell the waiter was lying, but didn't want to make a scene this time. Usually I am in the mood. I was with someone else, and he thought it was pretty sketchy too. He was so thirsty he had already drunk some of his water before he realized it should have come in a glass.

wackymother

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi, can you tell me what the significance of a straw is? I have trouble with very cold drinks touching my teeth :eek: so a straw might help. I usually take small sips. I have heard others saying using a straw helps. I tried the special sensitivity toothpastes, but they didn't really help. Is cold on your teeth why you request a straw?

I always try to use a straw for cold drinks because my teeth are sensitive, but I think the earlier poster was worried about touching an unclean drinking glass with his mouth.

If you have sensitive teeth, you should definitely go with the straws--they help a lot.

silentg

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
Straws, do keep my mouth off the glass. Especially in a bar, not sure how they wash the glasses. No, I don't carry my own silverware, but sounds like a good idea, then I would want to bring my own plate, better yet, I should just eat and drink at home? All I know is I enjoy using a straw when I go out to drink water!
Silentg

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook

They make filters for that. I have one at home.

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
In Europe (and south of the border) I have just gotten used to ordering 'Mineralwasser' etc... but in America? Come on.

My next reply would have been "fine, I'll have the complementary soda water with lime"

If that's off the menu.....then I'd find another menu. (and restaurant)
I've never had a problem asking to speak with the manager. Either to complement the food or service or to seek improvement. You'd be surprised. Usually, as soon as you meet the manager, you understand why the restaurant is good/bad based on their response etc...

JMHO