• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Was surprised to see this ad

JAKEANDERIC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi- I was browsing thru disboards' rent/trade board yesterday and I was surprised to see an ad by someone trying to rent out what is obviously an Interval Week. The poster is trying to rent out any interval week (160 points worth. The 160 points is exactly the # of DVC points one would need to deposit for a 1 bdroom (peak). The reason I am surprised is because usually disboards is extremely meticulous about what gets posted and they issue infractions like crazy if an ad isn't worded in a particular way. They even hold a posting in a queue for up to 24 hrs and screen every post. Thoughts? Janis

bnoble

TUG Member
Reaction score
When last I asked the moderators a few months ago, DIS' position is that DVC members are allowed to rent out exchange weeks. Naturally, you'd be shot if you were a non-Member trying to rent out a DVC week you obtained via exchange, but there you go.

JAKEANDERIC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi- Just got off the phone with Disney's DVC member services.. (Disboards is NOT run by DVC) . I was told that exchanges through Interval are prohibited from being rented out. You CAN give one as a gift to a family member or a friend (and that's what the Guest Certificate is for), but you can't take $$ for it. Once you're dealing with Interval, these rules apply. This is very different form a DVC reservation being made by a DVC owner, which we all know can be rented out. .
If someone rents an exchange (EVEN if it is a DVC property) done thru Interval, it shows up in the computer as an II exchange- even if the original renter was a DVC owner. Then the renter runs the risk of the rental being cancelled, as Interval can (and has) done this. IMO, too much of a risk to take.

JAKEANDERIC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Last year, I was able to get an Interval exchange using my Marriott Week for a week to stay at Disney's Old Key West (I didn't have enough of my own DVC points available to get this myself). Disney charged me the $95 resort fee upon check in even though I am a DVC member because it showed up in the computer that the reservation was a product of an Interval exchange. So if someone shows up and mentions that they are renters, (or tries to verify the reservation with Interval) they will have a problem. janis

bnoble

TUG Member
Reaction score
I know they can't be rented out. You know they can't be rented out. Many DISers (including long-standing members of the DIS DVC community) know that they can't be rented out.

The Powers That Be at DIS don't much care. If you are a DVC Member, you can post an exchange for rent on their boards, or you can post that you have "points available for an exchange."

But, of course, you can't post a DVC unit you obtained by exchange, because that's against the rules. The DIS is not known for its consistency.