• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

WALK-THROUGH - HAWAII'S NEW TRAVEL POLICY: My experience traveling to Hawaii

maph

TUG Member
Reaction score
Alright, I'm lost. I will be flying direct to Oahu from Canada in January and I am fully vaxed.
The state of Hawaii site says "

The State of Hawai‘i is in alignment with federal international requirements. There are no additional State of Hawaiʻi requirements for passengers flying directly into Hawaiʻi from an international destination. The airlines will screen passengers prior to their departure to the U.S. International passengers entering the U.S. from another state or territory will be treated as domestic travelers when entering the State of Hawai‘i."

to my knowledge, as of Dec 6, requirements for international travel to the U.Ss are proof of a passed Rapid Antigen Test (RAT) within 1 day of departure.

Then on the same page from the state, they go on to say "
NOTICE: To avoid mandatory quarantine, the Vaccination Exception Program is an option for those who have been vaccinated. Details at HawaiiCOVID19.com/travel/faqs. The State of Hawai‘i will ONLY accept Nucleic Acid Amplification Test (NAAT) from a certified Clinical Laboratory Improvement Amendment (CLIA) lab test results from TRUSTED TESTING AND TRAVEL PARTNERS, including any tests verified through the State’s Digital Health Pass Partners – AZOVA, CLEAR and CommonPass. For the full list of Domestic trans-Pacific, International and airline partners, go to TRUSTED TESTING AND TRAVEL PARTNER

Getting a NAAT test back, in 24 hours is next to impossible. Do I need to get BOTH tests, the NAAT one 72 hours in advance to make Hawaii happy, and the RAT test a day before to be ok to enter the U.S or can someone please guide me ?

I'm going through the same process, trying to find out what's required for my Maui trip on Dec 24. I've been directed to a link on the Air Canada site website that will tell you everything you need to know for your trip, including links to any forms that you'll have to fill out. You plug in the departing/arriving dates and airports and it will give this information for each of the outgoing and return legs of the trip. Very helpful!

Air Canada Travel Ready

jestme

Reaction score
I'm going through the same process, trying to find out what's required for my Maui trip on Dec 24. I've been directed to a link on the Air Canada site website that will tell you everything you need to know for your trip, including links to any forms that you'll have to fill out. You plug in the departing/arriving dates and airports and it will give this information for each of the outgoing and return legs of the trip. Very helpful!

Air Canada Travel Ready
Thanks. I appreciate your assistance. I have seen that area of Air Canada. Keep in mind, Air Canada only cares about getting you there, not if you have to quarantine for 14 days once you get there. The rules change almost weekly, and im waiting another week or so becore I try Air Canada, Expedia, and calling the GoHawaii travel and Hawaiigovernment sites. That is if we are still allowed to go to the US by then.
From my experience, different sites show different and sometimes outdated rules / advice.
Enjoy Maui, we were in Kaanapali 3 years ago.

bevans

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
hgvc Flamingo, hgvc Paradise
My wife and I are going to The Big Island January 1 and filled out the information on the safe travels site including pdf's of our vaccine cards with all three shots. I see you log in 24 hrs prior to departing for Kona for QR code but do we need proof of a negative test prior to leaving? Thanks, Curt

slip

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 20 wks; Maui Schooner, 1.5 wks; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI
My wife and I are going to The Big Island January 1 and filled out the information on the safe travels site including pdf's of our vaccine cards with all three shots. I see you log in 24 hrs prior to departing for Kona for QR code but do we need proof of a negative test prior to leaving? Thanks, Curt

Yes, that's correct. No test needed with vaccination at this time. :thumbup:

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent

If you're coming from another state, then No. When you get to the airport, your airline will have a special check in place to get a wristband that shows you've been cleared for travel. When you arrive in Hawaii, show the wristband to Security, and you'll be out the door. Nothing further will be said.

See my Reply #255 above for full instructions on what we did last month.

Dave

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Thanks for clarifying!

Curt, the Safe Travels website is definitely confusing in describing what is required, as you've no doubt seen. They present a list of things required for exemption without saying you can provide ONE of them to satisfy them. It reads like you need ALL of them. I think that's where the negative Covid text question comes in. A negative test is only required if you have not been vaccinated, to avoid mandatory quarantine. But you've had all three shots, so you're good to go. Just be sure to bring your physical CDC Covid vaccine cards with you to the airport, as the airline will want to compare it to your QR code data, (which links to the image you uploaded of that same card.) Once they confirm it's the same card, and you've been vaxxed, you'll get your wristband.

Be sure to arrive early enough before your flight to have time to get the wristband - it isn't automatic, and there may be a line. On the day we got ours, we sought out the location to get our wristband, (next to an unused departure gate quite a walk from our gate), and when we arrived, there was only one person ahead of us in line. Then, immediately after us, the airline moved the wristband people to a location near our departure gate. Within a few minutes there were dozens of people in that line. Some were still waiting in that line when boarding started.

After you arrive in Hawaii, the only places that may ask to see your Safe Travels "Trip" screen showing you've been cleared, may be the rental car and/or hotel front desk on check-in. We didn't have to show that screen afterwards.

Also, be sure to do as we did, and take a phone photo of your CDC Covid vaccine card and drivers' license together, filling the image window. I did that for the both of us. Restaurants will want to see proof of your vaccine status. We just showed them the picture on the phone, and it was fine. We didn't need to carry the physical card around with us. We both had both images on our phones, so whoever got through the door first could show images for each of us. It was pretty routine, and easily provided the information the restaurant wanted to see. Masking was also required until seated in restaurants.

Hope this adds a bit more help. Have fun!

Dave

bevans

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
hgvc Flamingo, hgvc Paradise
This trip also includes my daughter and son in law (both fully vaccinated) who have two children ages 10 and 7 who will have one vaccine injection when we leave. What are the requirements for children on this age? Thanks for the help sorting travel out from TUG members. Curt

lynne

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pacific Grove Plaza
This trip also includes my daughter and son in law (both fully vaccinated) who have two children ages 10 and 7 who will have one vaccine injection when we leave. What are the requirements for children on this age? Thanks for the help sorting travel out from TUG members. Curt
Both adults and children over 5 must be fully vaccinated:
What does it mean to be fully vaccinated and when will I be eligible to travel?
Travelers are considered fully vaccinated on the 14th day after the completion of their COVID-19 vaccine. Click here for vaccines listed for Emergency Use by the World Health Organization and accepted by Safe Travels.

From the Safe Travels website: https://hawaiicovid19.com/travel/faqs/
For my Hawai‘i Safe Travels account, I’ve received a vaccination exception for domestic travel from the U.S. to Hawai‘i. Does this cover my unvaccinated children who are traveling with me?
No. Children 5 years and over who are not vaccinated will need to have the specified negative COVID-19 test from a Trusted Testing Partner in order to be exempt from quarantine. Children under 5 years are not required to test and will not be quarantined if traveling with an adult who has a pre-travel test exemption or vaccination exception.

Last edited:

PcflEZFlng

TUG Member
Reaction score
24 hours before your flight, click the Health Questionnaire icon. It asks a half dozen questions about whether you're sick. Once you submit that, you'll receive an email with a QR code that looks like this:

View attachment 42722

When you arrive at the airport, your airline should have some sort of check-in place set up to pre-screen passengers. They'll ask you to call up the Trips icon from the above website, which will show the above QR code. (Or you can print it out - easier just to click the Trips icon from the travel.hawaii.gov website.) When they scan the QR code, they'll also look at the comparison of the uploaded Covid vaccine card, and the real card that you brought with you to the airport. Once they confirm it's the same card, they approve your screening. They'll put a wristband on you, and soon after, your Screened status changes from No to Yes. You're good to go.
@DaveNV - Fantastic summary you gave last month. I have one further question:

At the airport, do they actually make you go to the website on your phone and sign on to your account (using a web browser, I presume, since there isn't a Safe Travels mobile app)? Could you not just show them the email with the QR code?

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
@DaveNV - Fantastic summary you gave last month. I have one further question:

At the airport, do they actually make you go to the website on your phone and sign on to your account (using a web browser, I presume, since there isn't a Safe Travels mobile app)? Could you not just show them the email with the QR code?

Thanks! There was no signing in required. I know they need to scan the QR code to get to the data, so the email might work? I didn't want to waste time scrolling through a zillion emails to find the right one, and hope the attachment would be visible. I just left my phone logged into the Safe Travels site, and showed them the QR code screen there. They didn't ask to see anything more than the QR code. So a printout or the email might work. Maybe try it to see? Then report back whether it worked. If it's not too busy, maybe ask the airline people what they can scan?

Just don't forget to bring your physical CDC Covid vaccine card with you to the airport. The airline will want to view that while they're checking the QR code.

Dave

PcflEZFlng

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks Dave. DW and I are going to Poipu in a couple of weeks. We were invited by friends just a few weeks ago (woo-hoo!!), so it was very unexpected and spur-of-the-moment. We immediately made flight reservations and arrangements for our dogs. We also created accounts on Safe Travels and uploaded our CDC cards. But as you mentioned above, the instructions their website provides are less than clear so we had questions. Then yesterday I remembered this thread and scrolled down to your post!

We figured that since the email would arrive within a day of the flight, it would be near the top and easy to locate. But it seems it would be just as easy to set the phone's browser to the website and have it ready, like you mentioned.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
It takes many more words to describe what to do, than to actually do it. I know it'll be a piece of cake for you, as long as you follow the steps I mentioned. It's truly a no-brainer. (Just be sure your phone is charged up. ;))

Poipu will be amazing! Have a great time!!

Dave

PcflEZFlng

TUG Member
Reaction score
It takes many more words to describe what to do, than to actually do it. I know it'll be a piece of cake for you, as long as you follow the steps I mentioned. It's truly a no-brainer. (Just be sure your phone is charged up. ;)):thumbup:

Poipu will be amazing! Have a great time!!

Dave
Thanks! I hope to take some good pictures and post them!

DebBrown

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Not to sound too crazy, but I am a bit worried that Hawaii will change their travel policy due to Omnicron. In the past, has there been much notice? or will we wake up to find new rules? Our trip is scheduled for 1/15. We have two VRBO condos rented and still can cancel with 100% refund so we're at the point when we re-evaluate.

Last edited:

daviator

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKORVN, WDW, Westin FLEX, Marriott's MOC, Abound (Trust) Points
Now that all the special travel requirements are no longer in effect, maybe this doesn't need to be a sticky any more? I think it's unlikely that the restrictions will return.

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
Now that all the special travel requirements are no longer in effect, maybe this doesn't need to be a sticky any more? I think it's unlikely that the restrictions will return.
I agree will you 100%.