• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

WALK-THROUGH - HAWAII'S NEW TRAVEL POLICY: My experience traveling to Hawaii

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
It is that green check mark that is more important than the QR code.
That is exactly correct. The QR code is relevant only once, and that is when you are cleared for travel, whether you are cleared at a mainland airport or when you land in Hawaii.

When you are cleared, you get the green check marks (and a wristband if you are cleared on the mainland). The green check marks are the "good to go" identifier.

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Well, alrighty then! We flew to Hawaii last night. The process to use the Safe Travels site worked well, if a bit awkward. The wristband thing from the airline worked like a charm. At the Honolulu airport they were funneling people into two directions - those with wrist bands and those without. I held up my wristband and they waved me on to Baggage Claim.

This morning we went into a restaurant for breakfast, and they asked for our ID and Covid vaxx cards. I showed them a photo of our Covid vaxx cards and drivers license on my phone and that worked fine for them.

Thanks, everyone, for the great tips.

Dave

DebBrown

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I'm just starting to look at the requirements for our January trip to Hawaii. I realize there are 11 pages of posts but I couldn't find specific info regarding the SMART Health Card. Are we supposed to enter our info there? When you get to the "State", it only allows "Hawaii" so maybe this is for Hawaii residents? What is required of visitors NOW?

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
I'm just starting to look at the requirements for our January trip to Hawaii. I realize there are 11 pages of posts but I couldn't find specific info regarding the SMART Health Card. Are we supposed to enter our info there? When you get to the "State", it only allows "Hawaii" so maybe this is for Hawaii residents? What is required of visitors NOW?
Were you trying to enter information in the Hawaii Safe Travels site?

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent

I believe the SMART cards are just for Hawaii residents. As a visitor from the Mainland, I went with the easiest method:

Signed up for the Smart Travels site, one account for each traveler, login in with my email address. Once logged in, these are the only three icons you need to be concerned about:

Screen Shot 2021-11-26 at 4.49.56 PM.png

Click the Trips image, and enter your flight info. It's a manual thing, but once it's there, the trip will appear as a clickable link in future login sessions.

Click the Apply for Exemption icon and upload a clear image of your Covid vaccine card, showing you've had at least two shots, the latter one at least two weeks before the travel date.

24 hours before your flight, click the Health Questionnaire icon. It asks a half dozen questions about whether you're sick. Once you submit that, you'll receive an email with a QR code that looks like this:

IMG_4719.PNG

When you arrive at the airport, your airline should have some sort of check-in place set up to pre-screen passengers. They'll ask you to call up the Trips icon from the above website, which will show the above QR code. (Or you can print it out - easier just to click the Trips icon from the travel.hawaii.gov website.) When they scan the QR code, they'll also look at the comparison of the uploaded Covid vaccine card, and the real card that you brought with you to the airport. Once they confirm it's the same card, they approve your screening. They'll put a wristband on you, and soon after, your Screened status changes from No to Yes. You're good to go.

On arrival in Hawaii, security at the airport will want to direct those without wristbands to a manual screening location. Those with wristbands head to Baggage Claim and out the door. You can remove the wristband anytime after that. You may need to show your QR Code and Screened Status to the rental car or hotel people. Just click the Trips icon again, and it'll be there for them to review. To get into restaurants, you'll need to show ID and your Covid vaccine card. I just took a full-size photo of my vaccine card and driver's license together, and presented that. Nobody questioned it. I left my Covid vaccine card in the room safe, where it wouldn't get lost.

That was my experience, and it was simple and efficient. Hope yours is as easy. (On the way back to the Mainland, nobody asked for anything.)

Dave

DebBrown

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I believe the SMART cards are just for Hawaii residents. As a visitor from the Mainland, I went with the easiest method:

Signed up for the Smart Travels site, one account for each traveler, login in with my email address. Once logged in, these are the only three icons you need to be concerned about:

View attachment 42721

Click the Trips image, and enter your flight info. It's a manual thing, but once it's there, the trip will appear as a clickable link in future login sessions.

Click the Apply for Exemption icon and upload a clear image of your Covid vaccine card, showing you've had at least two shots, the latter one at least two weeks before the travel date.

24 hours before your flight, click the Health Questionnaire icon. It asks a half dozen questions about whether you're sick. Once you submit that, you'll receive an email with a QR code that looks like this:

View attachment 42722

When you arrive at the airport, your airline should have some sort of check-in place set up to pre-screen passengers. They'll ask you to call up the Trips icon from the above website, which will show the above QR code. (Or you can print it out - easier just to click the Trips icon from the travel.hawaii.gov website.) When they scan the QR code, they'll also look at the comparison of the uploaded Covid vaccine card, and the real card that you brought with you to the airport. Once they confirm it's the same card, they approve your screening. They'll put a wristband on you, and soon after, your Screened status changes from No to Yes. You're good to go.

On arrival in Hawaii, security at the airport will want to direct those without wristbands to a manual screening location. Those with wristbands head to Baggage Claim and out the door. You can remove the wristband anytime after that. You may need to show your QR Code and Screened Status to the rental car or hotel people. Just click the Trips icon again, and it'll be there for them to review. To get into restaurants, you'll need to show ID and your Covid vaccine card. I just took a full-size photo of my vaccine card and driver's license together, and presented that. Nobody questioned it. I left my Covid vaccine card in the room safe, where it wouldn't get lost.

That was my experience, and it was simple and efficient. Hope yours is as easy. (On the way back to the Mainland, nobody asked for anything.)

Dave
Thank you!

Lv2Trvl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Great explanation Dave. We flew SFO-HNL-KOA Tuesday. Third trip in the last year to HNL and neighbor islands. Everything works as you describe. Still amazed at how many arrive at airport clueless to QR codes and Travel Hawaii. The line at HNL was like the Disneyland que, back and forth to be cleared there instead of where they started. Had to have been easy a 45-60 minute wait. You can't buy a ticket to Hawaii or check-in without being alerted to the requirements a zillion times.
Aloha

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

csodjd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hilton Hawaiian Village - Lagoon Tower
Marriott Maui Ocean Club
Great explanation Dave. We flew SFO-HNL-KOA Tuesday. Third trip in the last year to HNL and neighbor islands. Everything works as you describe. Still amazed at how many arrive at airport clueless to QR codes and Travel Hawaii. The line at HNL was like the Disneyland que, back and forth to be cleared there instead of where they started. Had to have been easy a 45-60 minute wait. You can't buy a ticket to Hawaii or check-in without being alerted to the requirements a zillion times.
Aloha

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
It continues to amaze me how many people say they had no idea they had to do anything more than be tested or vaccinated. That said, there aren’t any good summaries of the process like Dave’s above. It would be really helpful if the Safe Travels website would have something like that.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
It continues to amaze me how many people say they had no idea they had to do anything more than be tested or vaccinated. That said, there aren’t any good summaries of the process like Dave’s above. It would be really helpful if the Safe Travels website would have something like that.

They probably don't have a walk-through because different people traveling from different areas would have different requirements. And logically, there is nothing pre-screening does that can't be done on arrival - other than take a lot longer. When I held up my arm with the wristband, the security guy waved me on toward Baggage Claim. I was out the door in seconds. Easy-breezy.

Dave

csodjd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Maui Ocean Club
They probably don't have a walk-through because different people traveling from different areas would have different requirements. And logically, there is nothing pre-screening does that can't be done on arrival - other than take a lot longer. When I held up my arm with the wristband, the security guy waved me on toward Baggage Claim. I was out the door in seconds. Easy-breezy.

Dave
I’ve prescreened now a few times at LAX, American Airlines gate 41, and there has been almost nobody there. In and out in 2-3 minutes. We do get there a good hour or so before the flights leave and kill the time in the Admiral’s Club.

jmdickie

TUG Member
Reaction score
That is very helpful information Thanks!!! I guess it is a little different for us Canadian travellers. I believe we also need a neg test 72 hours prior to arrival. Do you know if the wrist band is something we get as well if we have provided all the required documents and test?

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
That is very helpful information Thanks!!! I guess it is a little different for us Canadian travellers. I believe we also need a neg test 72 hours prior to arrival. Do you know if the wrist band is something we get as well if we have provided all the required documents and test?

I don't know the answer to that. You might start by contacting your airline and asking what they know. The Covid vaccine cards the US uses are from our CDC (Centers for Disease Control.) Canada may have something similar? Not sure. But if you start with your airline, they can tell you what they know, especially if you're flying from Canada. If you're connecting through a US airport, I'm not sure what you should do. Good luck!

Dave

GrayFal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Bluegreen SVV Morritt's Seaside Former WSJx5
I arrived 11/26. I first joined the free version of Clear Health App. Uploaded my vaccine card and ID info. Once I was approved, then I went to the safe Hawaii site and was able to link the two together. Clear health app is one of the approved partners. 24 hours before you fly, go back to safe Hawaii and fill out the shirt questionnaire. At the airport, they scanned my code, checked my photo ID and we were given our bands. There were many people who had not used the clear app and were spending a lot more time on lines trying to get everything uploaded.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
I arrived 11/26. I first joined the free version of Clear Health App. Uploaded my vaccine card and ID info. Once I was approved, then I went to the safe Hawaii site and was able to link the two together. Clear health app is one of the approved partners. 24 hours before you fly, go back to safe Hawaii and fill out the shirt questionnaire. At the airport, they scanned my code, checked my photo ID and we were given our bands. There were many people who had not used the clear app and were spending a lot more time on lines trying to get everything uploaded.

Just an add-on comment: We had tried joining the Clear Health app, but were unable to do so because of how my husband received his shots. He got both done at WalMart, but they somehow managed to enter them on two different shot record accounts in their computer. As a result, there was no way for the Clear Health people to verify his shot history. It was easier for us to work directly with the Safe Travel site, and upload our shot card image there. The end result was the same, just that we had to do things ourselves.

Dave

GrayFal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Bluegreen SVV Morritt's Seaside Former WSJx5
Just an add-on comment: We had tried joining the Clear Health app, but were unable to do so because of how my husband received his shots. He got both done at WalMart, but they somehow managed to enter them on two different shot record accounts in their computer. As a result, there was no way for the Clear Health people to verify his shot history. It was easier for us to work directly with the Safe Travel site, and upload our shot card image there. The end result was the same, just that we had to do things ourselves.

Dave
It's always something!
I also submitted/uploaded my vaccine card directly to Safe Hawaii as well as Clear App.
When I did my husbands after I was the guinea pig, I just did clear then safe Hawaii. His went thru smoothly.

jabberwocky

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVR, SDO, WKORV-N, Westin Flex, HGVC (BLVD)
I'm curious about this as well. Hawaii has aligned its travel requirements with the US Federal government for those arriving from outside of the US. You need to be tested and provide this to the airline along with your record of vaccination; however, there is apparently no requirement to use the Safe Travels site for entry into Hawaii for foreign travelers on direct international flights. My question is how do they distinguish that you aren't subject to quarantine (at hotels, car rentals, dining etc.) while in Hawaii - or are they not checking this anymore?

From the Safe Travels Overview Site:

All travelers, including those from Japan, Canada, Korea, Taiwan, the Philippines and Tahiti who board a plane on the final leg of their trip to the Hawaiian Islands without first securing a negative test within 72 hours before departure from a Trusted Testing and Travel Partner will be subject to mandatory quarantine. Beginning November 8, the State of Hawai‘i will align with federal international requirements. There will be no additional State of Hawaiʻi requirements for passengers flying directly into Hawaiʻi from an international destination. The airlines will screen passengers prior to their departure to the United States.

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
First I want to thank everyone for contributing their experiences using Safer Travels. We flew in to HNL yesterday and everything went smoothly, I felt prepared because of what I read here.

I had the three accounts set up on Safer Travels (myself, wife, and son). Set up trip details, Uploaded pics of vaxx cards, filled out Questionnaire day before travel, then printed from the trip web page that showed the QR code.

We flew out of Long Beach, LGB, on Hawaiian Air. Check in and drop off bags was easy peasy, she told us they would update Safer Travels at the gate.

TSA was a headache, my printed at home boarding passes all came up with my name on the scanner screen, even though the printed copy showed correct traveler name. Got sent back to get new boarding passes - I printed them on the check in kiosk to save time. Second pass at TSA we were shunted to a different agent - she says “no need to show boarding passes, just ID”! So we breezed through, didn’t even have to take ipads, etc out of carryon bags. Note to self, don’t print boarding passes at home.

Safer travel update at the gate was quick, she checked ID, scanned QR code, then updated a few screens. Gave us pink wristbands. Upon arrival we skipped past the check and went right to bag claim. I saw several people that had not prepped before, they were scrambling to take pics and update on cell phones at the gate, and at the destination.

Taxi had signs, all drivers and riders must wear masks. All shops have mask required signs. All bars/restaurants are checking vaxx cards, people are ok showing pics on phone.

HHV gave us a wristband at check in after checking vaxx card, all the venues on site accept the wrist band, and actually thanked us for using it to make the check quicker. All the hot tubs are drained, but pools are open and crowded, all the lounge chairs in use. Not many people on the beach or lagoon, maybe because they want $75 for two lounge chairs and an umbrella :).

I see mostly US visitors here, with a lot of kids, not nearly as many other nationalities here.

ab980b6ca3572600bc6c1b5b75ad0c49.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Hope my notes helped you out a bit. I've taken to using my cell phone for anything digital - such as boarding passes, and the Safe Travels QR code - easier, simpler and more "real time" than anything I'd ever print.

A word about visitors: I'm told Japanese visitors aren't coming to Hawaii yet because they have to quarantine when they get home - even if they're vaccinated. So they don't want to travel yet. So the huge number of tourists you'd normally see are still missing. Makes it easier to have fewer people to deal with, but is still hard on local businesses in Hawaii.

Dave

csodjd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Maui Ocean Club
Hope my notes helped you out a bit. I've taken to using my cell phone for anything digital - such as boarding passes, and the Safe Travels QR code - easier, simpler and more "real time" than anything I'd ever print.

A word about visitors: I'm told Japanese visitors aren't coming to Hawaii yet because they have to quarantine when they get home - even if they're vaccinated. So they don't want to travel yet. So the huge number of tourists you'd normally see are still missing. Makes it easier to have fewer people to deal with, but is still hard on local businesses in Hawaii.

Dave
Same with South Korea.

jestme

Reaction score
Alright, I'm lost. I will be flying direct to Oahu from Canada in January and I am fully vaxed.
The state of Hawaii site says "

The State of Hawai‘i is in alignment with federal international requirements. There are no additional State of Hawaiʻi requirements for passengers flying directly into Hawaiʻi from an international destination. The airlines will screen passengers prior to their departure to the U.S. International passengers entering the U.S. from another state or territory will be treated as domestic travelers when entering the State of Hawai‘i."

to my knowledge, as of Dec 6, requirements for international travel to the U.Ss are proof of a passed Rapid Antigen Test (RAT) within 1 day of departure.

Then on the same page from the state, they go on to say "
NOTICE: To avoid mandatory quarantine, the Vaccination Exception Program is an option for those who have been vaccinated. Details at HawaiiCOVID19.com/travel/faqs. The State of Hawai‘i will ONLY accept Nucleic Acid Amplification Test (NAAT) from a certified Clinical Laboratory Improvement Amendment (CLIA) lab test results from TRUSTED TESTING AND TRAVEL PARTNERS, including any tests verified through the State’s Digital Health Pass Partners – AZOVA, CLEAR and CommonPass. For the full list of Domestic trans-Pacific, International and airline partners, go to TRUSTED TESTING AND TRAVEL PARTNER

Getting a NAAT test back, in 24 hours is next to impossible. Do I need to get BOTH tests, the NAAT one 72 hours in advance to make Hawaii happy, and the RAT test a day before to be ok to enter the U.S or can someone please guide me ?

Henry M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
I would upload my vaccine card to the safe travels web site and use that to be exempted from the quarantine. Do you have a document that shows the two vaccinations and the date they were administered?

The COVID test is to get into the country. Once in the US, you need something to get the exemption from the state of Hawaii, which includes showing proof of full vaccination (that is, you should be beyond two weeks after your last shot).

jestme

Reaction score
I would upload my vaccine card to the safe travels web site and use that to be exempted from the quarantine. Do you have a document that shows the two vaccinations and the date they were administered?

The COVID test is to get into the country. Once in the US, you need something to get the exemption from the state of Hawaii, which includes showing proof of full vaccination (that is, you should be beyond two weeks after your last shot).
Yes, I have documentation for the vaccines, including the type and dates administered and it is well past the 14 days. If it was as simple as showing proof of vaccination, thats simple. Its the testing negative proof that conflicts.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Yes, I have documentation for the vaccines, including the type and dates administered and it is well past the 14 days. If it was as simple as showing proof of vaccination, thats simple. Its the testing negative proof that conflicts.

I think the proof of negative testing is for those who have not been vaccinated. When we traveled to Hawaii last month, our vaxx cards were enough to avoid quarantine. (see Reply #255 above.) I'd suggest checking with your airline to find out current requirements.

Dave

slip

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 20 wks; Maui Schooner, 1.5 wks; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI
I think the proof of negative testing is for those who have not been vaccinated. When we traveled to Hawaii last month, our vaxx cards were enough to avoid quarantine. (see Reply #255 above.) I'd suggest checking with your airline to find out current requirements.

Dave

Remember Dave, Jestme is coming from Canada. I don't know if that is different or not.

But I would start with what Dave said, I would check with the airline first.

djyamyam

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Getting a NAAT test back, in 24 hours is next to impossible. Do I need to get BOTH tests, the NAAT one 72 hours in advance to make Hawaii happy, and the RAT test a day before to be ok to enter the U.S or can someone please guide me ?

That's how I would interpret it. The Dec 6 change for the rapid test of 1 day prior to flight is required just to get on the plane to go to any state in the US. You can't board the plane without it.

The 72 hr NAAT test to HI allows you to not have to quarantine upon arrival. If you didn't get that test, then you'd be subject to the 10 day quarantine.

I see it as a two tiered process