• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

WALK-THROUGH - HAWAII'S NEW TRAVEL POLICY: My experience traveling to Hawaii

lily28

TUG Member
Reaction score
so i upload my vaccine card on 7/8 and did questionnaire today for our flight tomorrow to maui. i already receive the QR code. that is all i need to do right ? show the code to united tomorrow before boarding?

csodjd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hilton Hawaiian Village - Lagoon Tower
Marriott Maui Ocean Club
Does your vaccine card need to be uploaded each time you create a “Trip” on the Safe Travels website, or can you upload it once and link to it each time you create a trip?

I created a trip. I chose intended resident as reason for going (since I’m staying at my condo) so it only asks for my flight there info (on past trips I chose visitor so it asked for my return flight info). I chose vaccination record as my exemption and uploaded a PDF image of my vaccine card (and completed the questions asked). I don’t go for a week, so I didn’t do the health questionnaire yet.

In the past, at this point, when I viewed my Trip, it would show Screened, No and Exempt, No, both in red. When I did the health questionnaire I’d get emailed the QR code. The “screened” and “exempt” would change from no to yes (and turn green) when I cleared through the safe travels area at the airport after they scanned my QR code.

Now, at this point, when I view my Trip, it shows Screened, No (in red) but there is no “Exempt” there at all. Also, where it says “In quarantine,” whereas it said “No” in the past, now it says “-NA-“ (which I assume is not applicable).

I’m just wondering if anyone knows if this is all normal. I’d like to not have any hassles when I arrive next week and I always get concerned when things look or act differently.

zentraveler

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Four Seasons Residence Club
Does your vaccine card need to be uploaded each time you create a “Trip” on the Safe Travels website, or can you upload it once and link to it each time you create a trip?

I created a trip. I chose intended resident as reason for going (since I’m staying at my condo) so it only asks for my flight there info (on past trips I chose visitor so it asked for my return flight info). I chose vaccination record as my exemption and uploaded a PDF image of my vaccine card (and completed the questions asked). I don’t go for a week, so I didn’t do the health questionnaire yet.

In the past, at this point, when I viewed my Trip, it would show Screened, No and Exempt, No, both in red. When I did the health questionnaire I’d get emailed the QR code. The “screened” and “exempt” would change from no to yes (and turn green) when I cleared through the safe travels area at the airport after they scanned my QR code.

Now, at this point, when I view my Trip, it shows Screened, No (in red) but there is no “Exempt” there at all. Also, where it says “In quarantine,” whereas it said “No” in the past, now it says “-NA-“ (which I assume is not applicable).

I’m just wondering if anyone knows if this is all normal. I’d like to not have any hassles when I arrive next week and I always get concerned when things look or act differently.

FWIW, mine looks exactly the same way for a trip in August with an uploaded vaccine card.

csodjd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Maui Ocean Club
FWIW, mine looks exactly the same way for a trip in August with an uploaded vaccine card.
It would be helpful/nice if it would acknowledge that the vaccine card is received or something like that, and perhaps something describing what the process looks like on the website (what to expect to see so that if something is not right you have a heads up).

I understand that the primary source of delay in Hawaii right now is people using the vaccine exemption showing up with their vaccination cards, but no upload of the image to the website. So, they are uploading them as they stand there being checked, which takes some time.

zentraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
It would be helpful/nice if it would acknowledge that the vaccine card is received or something like that, and perhaps something describing what the process looks like on the website (what to expect to see so that if something is not right you have a heads up).

I understand that the primary source of delay in Hawaii right now is people using the vaccine exemption showing up with their vaccination cards, but no upload of the image to the website. So, they are uploading them as they stand there being checked, which takes some time.

Mine does show that my vaccine card has been uploaded and the name of the vaccine is hyperlinked and takes me to the photo of my vaccine card.

I can't imagine why they would not keep the image of the card for future trips, although if/when boosters become a reality that would change.

Henry M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just to be sure, as of today, Sept. 1, you don't need any testing or other documentation when you get to Maui if you have your COVID vaccination card, right?

zentraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Just to be sure, as of today, Sept. 1, you don't need any testing or other documentation when you get to Maui if you have your COVID vaccination card, right?

When I got here 8/22 I still needed to do all of the same things on the Safe Travels Hawaii. Uploaded my vaccine card, completed the 24 hour questionnaire and got a pre-clearance wrist band from United at SFO before I flew. The pre-clearance [at gate 17 for UA SFO travelers] checked my QR code and marked me cleared and then both Hertz and Westin wanted to see the green checks when on the website/email I arrived. In other words, it was the same procedure as my other trips this year minus the covid test results.

Henry M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks. Just making sure. I filled out everything in Safe Travels, except for the health questionnaire that you fill out 24 hours before the trip. I wanted to make sure I didn't miss an announcement the last few days.

zentraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thanks. Just making sure. I filled out everything in Safe Travels, except for the health questionnaire that you fill out 24 hours before the trip. I wanted to make sure I didn't miss an announcement the last few days.

It worked really smoothly, and familiarly, minus the covid test part. That made it one step easier. I know you are in Texas and not sure which airline you fly, but if you can get pre-certified it makes OGG much easier. The lines for the no-wrist band people were shorter but I was off the plane early.

No new announcements that I know of that affect those incoming, although re-requiring testing would not shock me. Someone on another thread commented that it may be illegal given the CDC recommendation. But not happening now.

Last edited:

Henry M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'll be there Tuesday, staying at Nanea for the first time. I'm flying American since I have lifetime status with them. I usually travel through DFW.

zentraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I'll be there Tuesday, staying at Nanea for the first time. I'm flying American since I have lifetime status with them. I usually travel through DFW.

At least of a few weeks ago I remember knowing that AA was among the few airlines that did not provide pre-arrival clearance. I hope that has changed for your sake because it makes it so much easier at OGG.

Too bad; I am leaving on Sunday 9/5. Was at Nanea for coffee yesterday morning and then for a drink later and have walked by several times (trying to get some exercise!). I posted an update on South and will update it before I leave but all is pretty peaceful here.

csodjd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Maui Ocean Club
At least of a few weeks ago I remember knowing that AA was among the few airlines that did not provide pre-arrival clearance. I hope that has changed for your sake because it makes it so much easier at OGG.

Too bad; I am leaving on Sunday 9/5. Was at Nanea for coffee yesterday morning and then for a drink later and have walked by several times (trying to get some exercise!). I posted an update on South and will update it before I leave but all is pretty peaceful here.
I discovered (too late) last month that AA -was- providing pre-departure clearance at LAX out of terminal 41. You had to stop at terminal 41 and you could get a wrist band. Otherwise, the ordinary routine at the airport in Honolulu.

zentraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I discovered (too late) last month that AA -was- providing pre-departure clearance at LAX out of terminal 41. You had to stop at terminal 41 and you could get a wrist band. Otherwise, the ordinary routine at the airport in Honolulu.

Speaking of discovering too late, I found out from my seat mate on my flight that the United Club at SFO is also doing pre-clearance. I have been in and out of that club for decades and there is no evidence at all that that is the case. Apparently someone has to tell you so you don't need to troop down to F-17 (which I have done three times now). At least UA is clear about the F-17 procedure, but one would think that the United Club would make this a quite a bit more clear :mad:. Will post something for the SFO folks.

Glad to hear that AA has joined the party at LAX.

Last edited:

Lv2Trvl

TUG Member
Reaction score
We gave gotten cleared at SFO United checkin and received our bracelets right there. No long line vs out at the gates. Last time May. Will be going in another 4 weeks hope it will be as easy..

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

eyedude

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Newport Coast (Platinum Plus and Platinum), Marriott Mountainside (ski week), Marriott Maui Ocean Club Lahaina (week 34,35 and 49,50), DSV 2 (red)
QUOTE="zentraveler, post: 2660462, member: 32101"]

I was surprised to find AA had preclear at the Phoenix airport. Agree that having the wristband made arrival to OGG very easy. On arrival, I went to get the rental car and my wife got the bags. There were no lines at the rental car when we arrived at 1pm on Friday…and there were tons of cars. Way different than when we came In December 2020…we waited about 3 hours for our car back then. For this trip, I rented a Turo because I wanted to avoid the lines and the rental car prices were ridiculous when I was reserving. When the rental prices plummeted, I decided to take the risk and rent a car…glad I did.

csodjd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Maui Ocean Club
I found AA can precertify me if they can see the Safe Travels QR code. From the AA web site at https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/covid-19-testing.jsp, under Destination Information for Hawaii:

View attachment 39548
A small note... the wait time for screening at LAX Gate 41 was about 30 minutes when I was there about a month ago. I'm sure it varies, and I'd rather wait at the front end than in Hawaii (though if you have checked bags, you would be waiting for them anyway), but one must be sure to allow plenty of time at the departure airport of seeking preclearance.

zentraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A small note... the wait time for screening at LAX Gate 41 was about 30 minutes when I was there about a month ago. I'm sure it varies, and I'd rather wait at the front end than in Hawaii (though if you have checked bags, you would be waiting for them anyway), but one must be sure to allow plenty of time at the departure airport of seeking preclearance.

And a a side note, given my recent experience of finding out that the United Club at SFO also can do pre-clearance screening, it might be worth checking the Admirals clubs for AA travelers to see if they have something similar.

I ended up at SFO quite a bit ahead of my flight recently and there was no one at F-17 for clearance and I breezed through. When I went by closer to boarding it looked packed and although they were boarding the plane, few were there. They were all in line across the hall getting cleared. So getting there early helps too.

Henry M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just went through pre-clearance by American Airlines at gate D28 in Dallas. There was no wait and it was very quick. My flight departs from Terminal A but it was worth it to get the pre-clearance.

I checked with the Admiral's Club and they don't do pre-clearance there. D28 is the only location.

csodjd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Maui Ocean Club
Just went through pre-clearance by American Airlines at gate D28 in Dallas. There was no wait and it was very quick. My flight departs from Terminal A but it was worth it to get the pre-clearance.

I checked with the Admiral's Club and they don't do pre-clearance there. D28 is the only location.
From a timing standpoint, how early before your flight did you show up at D28 for the pre-clearance? It seems to me that if you're about to board a flight with 300 people going to Hawaii there is probably a time where the pre-clearance gets pretty busy. Perhaps the Terminal A vs. D issue helped minimize the number of people wanting to utilize the pre-clearance?

We are flying out of LAX next week and trying to judge when to arrive. We'll depart out of Terminal 4 I'm sure, and the pre-clearance is at gate 41. Assuming we'll board about 40 minutes before departure, I'm trying to figure out what time I need to be at Gate 41.

zentraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
From a timing standpoint, how early before your flight did you show up at D28 for the pre-clearance? It seems to me that if you're about to board a flight with 300 people going to Hawaii there is probably a time where the pre-clearance gets pretty busy. Perhaps the Terminal A vs. D issue helped minimize the number of people wanting to utilize the pre-clearance?

We are flying out of LAX next week and trying to judge when to arrive. We'll depart out of Terminal 4 I'm sure, and the pre-clearance is at gate 41. Assuming we'll board about 40 minutes before departure, I'm trying to figure out what time I need to be at Gate 41.

Not sure if timing at SFO will help, but I had a 10:40 flight out of terminal 3 on United on Sunday:20 8/22. I got to SFO about 8:20 (expecting huge crowds) and breezed through Clear and pre-check and the terminal felt a bit deserted. Went to F-17 for pre-clearance (not yet knowing that I could have just done this at the United Club) and there was literally no one there; I think a glut of ~ 9 am flights had all left. I was in and out in 3 minutes. By the time I went to board at 10 am there was a very long line for pre-clearance.

Clearly I was there quite a bit earlier than I needed to be, but was happy to have some breakfast and read the papers. I think it also helped that the morning rush of 9 am flights to HI and other places had all left. LAX may be different of course, but FWIW.

Henry M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
I arrived inTerminal C of DFW around 7:30. My flight to Maui was at 9:20.

I did not see anyone with wristbands getting off the plane, and only one family in the tram to the shuttle cars. Very few people got the pre-clearance. I don't think it was advertised much so likely most passengers don't know about it.

controller1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN OF
Westin Nanea OF
Westin FLEX
I arrived inTerminal C of DFW around 7:30. My flight to Maui was at 9:20.

I did not see anyone with wristbands getting off the plane, and only one family in the tram to the shuttle cars. Very few people got the pre-clearance. I don't think it was advertised much so likely most passengers don't know about it.

I received an email from AA six days prior to departure stating how to get pre-clearance.

csodjd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Maui Ocean Club
Not sure if timing at SFO will help, but I had a 10:40 flight out of terminal 3 on United on Sunday:20 8/22. I got to SFO about 8:20 (expecting huge crowds) and breezed through Clear and pre-check and the terminal felt a bit deserted. Went to F-17 for pre-clearance (not yet knowing that I could have just done this at the United Club) and there was literally no one there; I think a glut of ~ 9 am flights had all left. I was in and out in 3 minutes. By the time I went to board at 10 am there was a very long line for pre-clearance.

Clearly I was there quite a bit earlier than I needed to be, but was happy to have some breakfast and read the papers. I think it also helped that the morning rush of 9 am flights to HI and other places had all left. LAX may be different of course, but FWIW.
Thx. The interesting part there is the very long line at 10:00am for a flight departing at 10:40. Normally you'd expect those people to be at the gate getting ready to board.

Our flight Monday leaves at 6:30pm. We'll be at LAX about 4:15 so we'll be at Gate 41 by about 4:30 at the latest. If your experience at SFO is any guide, I won't expect to see much of anyone there that early. Then we'll probably eat at the Admiral's Club since the AA "box" meals in First basically suck, unless you're a Golden Retriever.

zentraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thx. The interesting part there is the very long line at 10:00am for a flight departing at 10:40. Normally you'd expect those people to be at the gate getting ready to board.

Our flight Monday leaves at 6:30pm. We'll be at LAX about 4:15 so we'll be at Gate 41 by about 4:30 at the latest. If your experience at SFO is any guide, I won't expect to see much of anyone there that early. Then we'll probably eat at the Admiral's Club since the AA "box" meals in First basically suck, unless you're a Golden Retriever.

Good plan and sounds like good timing. I have learned, as have you too, that getting the the airport ahead of the curve is worth every minute. Settle in, get ahead of all of the lines, and find some decent food to eat in the clubs, or even in the airport for the plane.

Amazingly on my two UA flights there was real hot food served! (Not great, but those days are gone.) But honestly, SFO has such great restaurants I am more than willing to spend another $15 to have a comfortable, restful time of it all if that is what it takes.

Hope it goes well and have fun! Sounds like many of you will be there on all the islands in September.