• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Vistana Mandatory Resort Resales

Red elephant

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WSJ
Harborside
Nanea
SDO
SVV
SBP
I expect the allocation of Abound points to be quite lackluster for most weeks compared to the week rental value (as well as maintenance fees) so I'm not sure how much of a "benefit" is lost.
Does not seem like much then. I only have odd year 1 bedroom platinum that I use to go in the summer anyway. There are doing new things in Atlantis these days from what I hear. I have been trying to get 2 bedroom deluxe but to no avail.

DanCali

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vistana, Marriott, DVC
Does not seem like much then. I only have odd year 1 bedroom platinum that I use to go in the summer anyway. There are doing new things in Atlantis these days from what I hear. I have been trying to get 2 bedroom deluxe but to no avail.

I expect that the smaller 1BR Platinum will be 2100 points and the larger 1BR Platinum around 2700 points. At $0.70, that's around $1470 and $1900, respectively. Probably doesn't cover MFs and definitely lower than Platinum rental values.

The 2BR Deluxe are hard to get with Staroptions. We own a couple of those (Platinum and Gold) and they book pretty fast for many of the weeks even for home resort reservations. So at 8 months out you may find one for the lower demand weeks and it probably disappears immediately. There are only 40 of those (10 units x 4 floors) and many or most were probably sold as a deeded 3BR lockoffs, although that affects the inventory available to buy a dedicated 2BR, not necessarily VSN 2BR availability.

Red elephant

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WSJ
Harborside
Nanea
SDO
SVV
SBP
I expect that the smaller 1BR Platinum will be 2100 points and the larger 1BR Platinum around 2700 points. At $0.70, that's around $1470 and $1900, respectively. Probably doesn't cover MFs and definitely lower than Platinum rental values.

The 2BR Deluxe are hard to get with Staroptions. We own a couple of those (Platinum and Gold) and they book pretty fast for many of the weeks even for home resort reservations. So at 8 months out you may find one for the lower demand weeks and it probably disappears immediately. There are only 40 of those (10 units x 4 floors) and many or most were probably sold as a deeded 3BR lockoffs, although that affects the inventory available to buy a dedicated 2BR, not necessarily VSN 2BR availability.
Wow will not be worth enrolling at all.

trook

Reaction score

Wow, there are really only 40 of the 2 bedroom deluxe lockoff units at Harborside? I read online there are 392 units total on site. Do you know about the breakdown or have any resourced that outline the number of various other units at Harborside (ie, how many total 3 bedroom units, etc they have)?

DanCali

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vistana, Marriott, DVC
Wow, there are really only 40 of the 2 bedroom deluxe lockoff units at Harborside? I read online there are 392 units total on site. Do you know about the breakdown or have any resourced that outline the number of various other units at Harborside (ie, how many total 3 bedroom units, etc they have)?

The 2BR Deluxe is not a lockoff per se. It is the large portion of the 3BR lockoff. The 3BR lockoff also includes the corner (with balcony) small 1BR unit.

I suspect the 392 units you refer to are single entry units, i.e., small or large 1BR units, and 2BR deluxe units.

As far as I know, the 3BR lockoff are only in phase II - that's buildings 3,4,5 and 6. Based on the doc below (from the forum stickies) there are 10 x 3BR lockoff units in those buildings, which means there are 10 x 2BR Deluxe units (times 4 floors, so 40 total). I don't have a similar map for Phase I (buildings 1,2 and 7), but I believe that's all 2BR lockoffs.

From the same document, it also like Phase II has 19 2BR lockoff units, or 76 over the 4 floors. Add the 40 3BR lockoff units that gives you 116 2BR or 3BR Lockoff units which is 232 single entry units in Phase 2. Makes sense it's more than half of 392 since Phase II is 4 of 7 buildings.

HarborsideUnitMap2.jpg

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Official filings by ILG/VAC show they developed/sold 198 units at Harborside.

Chckmt21

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vistana
Purchased an 81K StarOptions Vistana Mandatory resale in Dec 2022. Already owned a 44k StarOptions legacy Vistana. Visited Lagunamar in Feb 2023. At the presentation Westin offered to grandfather my 81K Mandatory into Abound, IF I upgraded my 44K legacy to 67.5K. Cost for the upgrade was $12K based upon the current Westin cost per StarOptions. Pitch was that the cost per increment would be much higher once Vistana was fully integrated with Marriott. I said I could buy several Marriott resale weeks if/when I want to travel to Marriott. Pass.

Red elephant

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WSJ
Harborside
Nanea
SDO
SVV
SBP
Purchased an 81K StarOptions Vistana Mandatory resale in Dec 2022. Already owned a 44k StarOptions legacy Vistana. Visited Lagunamar in Feb 2023. At the presentation Westin offered to grandfather my 81K Mandatory into Abound, IF I upgraded my 44K legacy to 67.5K. Cost for the upgrade was $12K based upon the current Westin cost per StarOptions. Pitch was that the cost per increment would be much higher once Vistana was fully integrated with Marriott. I said I could buy several Marriott resale weeks if/when I want to travel to Marriott. Pass.
Wow!!! Oh wow!! What happened to 8/9 being the cut off? Now they are grandfathering ?

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Village, Wyndham, WorldMark, Vistana, Vidanta, Flora Farms, HGVC Max, and some independents
Wow!!! Oh wow!! What happened to 8/9 being the cut off? Now they are grandfathering ?
Not entirely shocking if it will incentivize a sale....

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
I don't think this would be considered grandfathering. This is the normal retro that they have always done. Retro one VOI for $10,000. It just now gives you Abound. It just makes your VOIs as good as if they were bought direct. No different than pre Abound.

pacman777

TUG Member
Reaction score

Were they trying to sell you Adventuras points or an actual RTU/unit at Westin Laganamar (e.g. Platinum Studio worth 67.1k StarOptions)?

Red elephant

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WSJ
Harborside
Nanea
SDO
SVV
SBP
I don't think this would be considered grandfathering. This is the normal retro that they have always done. Retro one VOI for $10,000. It just now gives you Abound. It just makes your VOIs as good as if they were bought direct. No different than pre Abound.
Oh boy . When they say grandfathering you think of something different. But same old stuff.