• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

verifying trade data

Status
Not open for further replies.

DanM

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi Madge, Happy New Year.

I've been having an exchange of emails with "feedback" about the trade power of a recent deposit. It's a New Year's ski week and, unlike the past five years, the 2006 deposit trades like the weakest white week. The only reason I can think of is that several were deposited around the same time when maintenance fees were billed.

Feedback keeps telling me that trade power is set by a sophisticated formula, etc, and that perhaps there is something different about the 2006 week or, perhaps, there is less demand or greater supply. As I mentioned, I think there might temporarily be greater supply, but I also have no doubt that these New Year's weeks will be snapped up long before they become last calls or extra vacations. Demand will always exceed supply as it has in the past.

What is frustrating to me is that I keep asking RCI to verify its data and the answer I keep getting is that the computer does it. I know the demand for this type of week and if the computer doesn't it needs to have it's data adjusted, but nobody at "feedback" seems to get the point. Is there anyone who can get into the guts of the program and actually verify the data? Or adjust obvious errors in estimating future demand due, possibly, to a few units being deposited at the same time?

Thanks,
Dan

Madge

TUG Member
Reaction score
Dan,

Bulk banking does not negatively impact Trading Power. I have been able to verify that safeguards are in place to manage this.

With regard to your request, the Communications Team can indeed check with the folks here who can view the "guts" of our system. However, they cannot usually get much detail. I encourage you to ask that they check, and hopefully they will be able to confirm a change in demand or VEP that might account for the difference you're seeing.

Keep in mind too that "cost" in Trading Power can change for the weeks you're searching. This can make your deposit look weaker when that isn't actually what's happening. Again, do follow up with the Communications Team.

DanM

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
correcting RCI

Madge,

Just to keep you posted, I am now having problems with unusually low trade power on two recent deposits of two different resort weeks. "Feedback" came back with the usual "proprietary formula" on one of them, but told me specifically on the other that no one took my 2004 or 2005 deposits in exchange.

I checked with the resort and they said that was nonsense. My units have always been taken in exchange by RCI members. While I was at it, I checked with the other resort and they said the same. My weeks have never gone unused by someone.

I have notified customer service that the resort says their "data" is simply wrong. There is an old computer programming adage that says "garbage in, garbage out." The proprietary formula is worthless if it uses inaccurate info.

I suspect I will not be satisfied by RCI's next response either, but I would really appreciate your raising this issue with Supervisory or Policymaking level people. The facts are the facts, and my weeks should trade better based on past performance.

Thanks,
Dan

DanM

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Please don't confuse this thread with your speculation. The resorts know what happened...and, parenthetically, so do I. I watch my own weeks when I deposit them and if they are no longer available 8-12 months before the use date they were not rented.

wise one

Reaction score
Dan,

A little harsh toward e.bram aren't you. Chill out.

I have a couple of comments for you to consider.

1. I have also tried to follow some of my deposits to see if they were taken in trade by another RCI member by continually checking to see if the week was available for me to trade to by a banked week using either my account in weeks or my sister's account in points. Even though a week for the same resort and week that I deposited may still be there, how do I know it is "my" week that is still there. Let's say that the resort has about 50 units that week and it might be any of those units that is still there, not necessarily mine. If 10 of those units are deposited with RCI, are you saying that it is possible to tell which of the possible 10 units was the exact one that you deposited?

2. I know that the resort can tell that a RCI member is using "your" unit because of the assignment of the unit, but do they know if it was rented vs traded?

3. Unless you are on the 'inside' at the resort, what makes you know that the resort is not just telling you what you want to hear? I'm sure that the staff at the resort has better things to do than look up what happened to each owner's week. Even at a small resort of 10 units, they would have at least 500 weeks to track. I hope that my maintainance fees are not going to pay for someone to keep track of something that most owners would consider as trival as that. Certainly they keep track of which are owners and which are traders or renters, but to keep volumes of what I would consider useless information is not necessary. Who cares in 2006 if a particular Joe Dokes' unit was used by a specific RCI member named Jane Doe in 1994 and his unit was used by a specific RCI member named Jack Spratt in 1995, etc? The fact that it was used as a trade and left in acceptable or better condition is good enough.

4. You state that "if they are no longer available 8-12 months before the use date they were not rented." Do you mean rented and not traded? In my mind there is a difference. Also, even if one is available 7 months before the checkin date, how would you know that it was your deposit?

Your point of making sure that you get the correct trade power is well taken and admirable. I am glad that someone out there is keeping RCI on their toes for all of us, but the higher ups at RCI are not going to divulge to a member what the exact formula contains or exactly how it is used. They can tell you that they looked into it and it worked fine and you will never know if they did or not.

But you do not have to be so harsh on others. Chill out!!!!

e.bram

Reaction score
Thank you wise one.
DanM explain this:
I rented a unit in Newport Overlook from SkyAuction for $200.00 a TS where I own a unit. The MF for my unit is $650.00(all units are same). I rented the unit in Oct '05 for use Apr '06. I called to confirm my rented unit. The front desk told my my reservation was in order and it was an RCI exchange. So tell me how you know your units were not rented by SkyAuction or other similar entity.

DanM

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I am relying on my two separate resorts to know what they are talking about. I do not mean to be harsh, but is either of you named Madge? This is for RCI to explain, in the Ask RCI forum. Please pick someplace else to reply or start a new thread if you want to talk.

Madge

TUG Member
Reaction score
Please do allow me to respond before adding commentary.

DanM,

I haven't seen your message or been made aware of it. Would you please route a recent message to my attention? Use feedback@rci.com and enter Attn: Madge in the subject line. I'll check on your issues personally.

ndonovan

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Locking thread

Since Madge has asked Dan to contact her directly and, since this thread is drifting away from Dan's original question, I am locking this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.