• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Using Wyndham points for DVC?

asdfasdf

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi. I'm a timeshare and Tug newbie. I recently picked up some Bonnet Creek points on Ebay and am wondering how difficult it is to exchange into DVC?

If I get my points in July, what is the likelihood that I might be able to trade into DVC this year or next? I just don't want to tell my daughter that we might be able to stay at DVC if it's not really likely. I bought Bonnet Creek because I think it's an awesome resort that we would love to stay at even if I can't get into DVC.

How many points would I need to stay at a studio, one BR, or two BR? One last question...my dream is to stay at the Boardwalk or BCV. Is it even remotely possible to accomplish that with a trade? I don't care if it's a studio or one BR.

Thanks so much for any response!

bnoble

TUG Member
Reaction score
A one bedroom at Saratoga is quite possible many weeks of the year. 1BRs are the predominant size; studios and 2BRs are essentially never deposited. A 1BR at OKW is also possible, as they are at VWL and AKV, but these three are all much less likely.

BWV, BCV, GFV, and BLT are longshots if that. Holding out for one is a lot like hitting the lottery unless your dates are very flexible and then it's only "hit by lightning" rare. To even have a faint hope for one of these you will need a very well-aged search. PVB is not yet in the Directory, but might be within the next year or two. I suspect it will almost never be deposited though.

The point values required for any Orlando resort are the same, and vary only by size or season. So, if you see the point values for any other 1BR during the time frame you are considering, the DVC resorts will cost the same. This is true of any "area" in RCI---point values are averaged across the entire area.

My advice: don't be greedy about what resort you get. This is a hard enough exchange as it is, and SSR is perfectly fine.

Last edited:

Ty1on

TUG Member
Reaction score
I thought I had read there is a regional block preventing Orlando from exchanging into Orlando....

bnoble

TUG Member
Reaction score
That only applies to direct individual ownerships, not mini-systems that exchange via a portal. So Wyndham owners with deeds at Orlando resorts are not blocked, nor are HGVC owners in the Orlando area, etc.

asdfasdf

TUG Member
Reaction score
A one bedroom at Saratoga is quite possible many weeks of the year. 1BRs are the predominant size; studios and 2BRs are essentially never deposited. A 1BR at OKW is also possible, as they are at VWL and AKV, but these three are all much less likely.

BWV, BCV, GFV, and BLT are longshots if that. Holding out for one is a lot like hitting the lottery unless your dates are very flexible and then it's only "hit by lightning" rare. To even have a faint hope for one of these you will need a very well-aged search. PVB is not yet in the Directory, but might be within the next year or two. I suspect it will almost never be deposited though.

The point values required for any Orlando resort are the same, and vary only by size or season. So, if you see the point values for any other 1BR during the time frame you are considering, the DVC resorts will cost the same. This is true of any "area" in RCI---point values are averaged across the entire area.

My advice: don't be greedy about what resort you get. This is a hard enough exchange as it is, and SSR is perfectly fine.

Thank you for your reply! I would be more than happy to stay at Saratoga Springs! I've always wanted to buy DVC but it just isn't feasible on my salary so I'm so happy to have a shot through Wyndham points. I'm also excited about Bonnet Creek...it seems very nice.

Ty1on

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the clarification, bnoble.

WeLovetoTravel

TUG Member
Reaction score
My home resort is Bonnett Creek. It's a beautiful resort and easy access to all the Disney Parks. The rooms are larger and much more comfortable than DVC in my opinion. We have stayed at Saratoga Springs DVC and enjoyed staying there also. We liked the ease of the bus service it was nice to not have to deal with driving and parking at the various parks, but the 1BR unit is very small.

dansyr2514

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Bonnet Creek, Wyndham Ocean Blvd, Wyndham Seawatch, Wyndham Fairfield Ten
another question

I hope you don't mind me jumping in on this ...but I have basically the sames questions.

How far in advance can you/should you start your search for DVC? We just bought points at Edisto Island SC. I'm also very new to this forum. Is there somewhere that shows the points exchange from Wyndham to DVC? We just won the ebay auction Thursday so I'm very excited and looking for all the info I can get.

Thanks

scootr5

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista, Wyndham (points and Avenue Plaza Mardi Gras week)
RCI is strictly age of search, assuming you have enough TPUs. With Wyndham, you just have to deposit enough for the room size you want. That being said, most DVC deposits in the last few months have been 1 bedroom units at SSR or OKW. There have been virtually no 2 bedroom exchanges. I would start as close to 2 years out as possible.

dansyr2514

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Bonnet Creek, Wyndham Ocean Blvd, Wyndham Seawatch, Wyndham Fairfield Ten

dansyr2514

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thank you! I am very unfamiliar with this so I appreciate your help. With a 157000 point contract at Edisto Island SC, will I have enough tpu's to trade into a one bedroom? I understand that tpu is trading power unit.

In my earlier research, I thought it was more of a set number of points to trade in to a one bedroom. I thought I saw a chart somewhere .

Thanks for being patient with me

scootr5

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista, Wyndham (points and Avenue Plaza Mardi Gras week)
Sorry, with Wyndham you just deposit points. A 1 bedroom prime would require 126,000 points.
wvr-exchange-points-chart.page
[/URL]

dansyr2514

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
ok..thank you. That's what I thought but wasn't sure. Thanks so much for all your help!

rdiamond62

Reaction score
I set up my OGS with RCI about 14 months before my desired trip date. I selected all DVC resorts and used the date span of 12/1-12/14 check in dates. About 7 months before the trip date, I received notification of a 1br at SSR. It was all very easy and everything went through smoothly.

Rich

ailin

TUG Member
Reaction score
The Wyndham to RCI point chart is a guideline, it won't go over that amount, but sometimes it's less. You can look at other Orlando resorts for the same time period you want that have availability in RCI, it will be the same number for DVC Orlando. The Wyndham/RCI points value depends on location and season, not on the particular resort (unlike TPUs).

Also, you don't need to actually deposit the points until it matches. No need to tie up points or possibly have leftovers. When an OGS matches, you have about 3 days to confirm it (4 if it matches on a Sunday). Once you see the match, you can then transfer points to RCI, which shows up in your RCI account the next day.

paxsarah

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Ocean Boulevard, Flagstaff, Grand Desert
We matched in December for a 1BR SSR in late May. The search was set in July 2015. I bought the RCI insurance, whatever it's called. Then we matched in early January to a 1BR at BWV for the week prior (which was actually better for us), canceled the SSR week and got our points back, paid another exchange fee (ouch, but still overall less expensive than other means of staying in DVC), and took the BWV exchange. That search was set up in September 2014, so it was aged about 16 months. And the exchange was only 105k Wyndham points, so that really depends on the season.

Overall moral of the story, it pays to be flexible, and it helps to have more than one search running at a time.

asdfasdf

TUG Member
Reaction score
The Wyndham to RCI point chart is a guideline, it won't go over that amount, but sometimes it's less. You can look at other Orlando resorts for the same time period you want that have availability in RCI, it will be the same number for DVC Orlando. The Wyndham/RCI points value depends on location and season, not on the particular resort (unlike TPUs).

Also, you don't need to actually deposit the points until it matches. No need to tie up points or possibly have leftovers. When an OGS matches, you have about 3 days to confirm it (4 if it matches on a Sunday). Once you see the match, you can then transfer points to RCI, which shows up in your RCI account the next day.

Thanks! I don't have access to my account yet but it seems like a good system.
I set up my OGS with RCI about 14 months before my desired trip date. I selected all DVC resorts and used the date span of 12/1-12/14 check in dates. About 7 months before the trip date, I received notification of a 1br at SSR. It was all very easy and everything went through smoothly.

Rich

Awesome...I'd love to stay at SSR!

We matched in December for a 1BR SSR in late May. The search was set in July 2015. I bought the RCI insurance, whatever it's called. Then we matched in early January to a 1BR at BWV for the week prior (which was actually better for us), canceled the SSR week and got our points back, paid another exchange fee (ouch, but still overall less expensive than other means of staying in DVC), and took the BWV exchange. That search was set up in September 2014, so it was aged about 16 months. And the exchange was only 105k Wyndham points, so that really depends on the season.

Overall moral of the story, it pays to be flexible, and it helps to have more than one search running at a time.

Okay thank you! BWV is where I really want to stay! How much was the additional exchange fee?

dansyr2514

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wish us luck!

Thanks so much. We will be getting all of this years points as soon as everything is transferred to us. We won't be able to use the this year so hoping to be able to deposit to rci right away and start searching for early December 2017.

JimMIA

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks so much. We will be getting all of this years points as soon as everything is transferred to us. We won't be able to use the this year so hoping to be able to deposit to rci right away and start searching for early December 2017.
People are going to tell you that early December is the busiest time of the year for DVC because of low points, homeowners association meetings, holiday decorations, etc, etc, etc. And it is.

BUT...being busy for DVC is not the same as being difficult for an RCI exchange -- in fact, they are almost logical opposites. RCI exchanges depend on DVC owners using their points to exchange OUT OF DVC.

Put in your ongoing search early and you should be successful.

Personally, I would do one for BCV/BWV (what you really want), and one for OKW (better than SSR and probably available), and certainly NOT do a search for any DVC, because you will almost certainly get SSR.

dansyr2514

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
People are going to tell you that early December is the busiest time of the year for DVC because of low points, homeowners association meetings, holiday decorations, etc, etc, etc. And it is.

BUT...being busy for DVC is not the same as being difficult for an RCI exchange -- in fact, they are almost logical opposites. RCI exchanges depend on DVC owners using their points to exchange OUT OF DVC.

Put in your ongoing search early and you should be successful.

Personally, I would do one for BCV/BWV (what you really want), and one for OKW (better than SSR and probably available), and certainly NOT do a search for any DVC, because you will almost certainly get SSR.

Thank you so much for the awesome advice!!!

paxsarah

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Ocean Boulevard, Flagstaff, Grand Desert
The current fee is $219.

$219 online, $229 on the phone. I ended up paying two exchange fees - one for the SSR exchange (actually, when I first put in the OGS for it) and then another after I canceled SSR when I booked BWV.

In the last year or so, I haven't seen OKW to be any more available than the other non-SSR resorts. My recommendation is to check the sightings board here at TUG where people post both DVC sightings and OGS matches to see the history. Prior to the change in DVC deposit patterns a year or so ago, OKW and SSR seemed to both come up much more frequently than the others. Now, SSR is the vast majority of deposits and all of the other resorts, including OKW, are rarer.

dansyr2514

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
In the last year or so, I haven't seen OKW to be any more available than the other non-SSR resorts. My recommendation is to check the sightings board here at TUG where people post both DVC sightings and OGS matches to see the history. Prior to the change in DVC deposit patterns a year or so ago, OKW and SSR seemed to both come up much more frequently than the others. Now, SSR is the vast majority of deposits and all of the other resorts, including OKW, are rarer.[/QUOTE]

Thank you. Where do I find sightings board?

alexadeparis

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
You must become a tug member, add it to your login, and then it will be visible.