• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Using marriott as a closing company ?

beanie

TUG Member
Reaction score
has anyone ever done this ? can it be done ? I have someone interested in my marriott week and they said we could use marriott as the closing company . is this true ?

chuckles

TUG Member
Reaction score
I recently asked a Marriott rep about providing the financing and closing for a purchase from a private individual. She seemed to think that the seller could ask Marriott to handle the resale, but someone (buyer, I'm guessing) would pay the salesperson the difference between the resale price and 90% of the developer's price for the same week. That would also provide trade-for-points privileges, etc.

I can see benefits associated with this, but it wasn't a good fit for me.

If you find out that I was mis-informed, please let me know, as I'm currently working on a deal through another closing company.

mkrumpe

TUG Member
Reaction score
First post since signing up with TUG BBS and paying my $15.

I am very interested in this question - is it possible to use Marriott as the closing company and retain the Marriott points privileged as with buying with them direct? For example, I have found 1 - 2 private sale Marriott properties and was wondering if I could talk to the Marriott rep about the listing, if it would be possible for him to broker the deal. Much like if I were to buy a house For Sale By Owner, but still bring in my own Real Estate Agent and pay them their fees.

Thanks to every and anyone who has posted on this board - it is a HUGE help!

FlyerBobcat

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
This doesn't seem possible to me. You wanna' buy at resales prices (~50 to 90% off Marriott prices), but you want the Marriott perks. Why would Marriott do that?? :confused:

First post since signing up with TUG BBS and paying my $15.

I am very interested in this question - is it possible to use Marriott as the closing company and retain the Marriott points privileged as with buying with them direct? For example, I have found 1 - 2 private sale Marriott properties and was wondering if I could talk to the Marriott rep about the listing, if it would be possible for him to broker the deal. Much like if I were to buy a house For Sale By Owner, but still bring in my own Real Estate Agent and pay them their fees.

Thanks to every and anyone who has posted on this board - it is a HUGE help!

mkrumpe

TUG Member
Reaction score
I realize that they would probably charge more for the property and I would be willing to pay a little more if it made sense. Thinking maybe their resale department can broker the transaction. If it only increased the priced by 10 - 15% I would do it with the peace of mind that they will be handling the entire deal. This is my first timeshare purchase and want to be sure that someone is handling the ins and outs of the deal.

FlyerBobcat

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I realize that they would probably charge more for the property and I would be willing to pay a little more if it made sense.....

Forgot to say: Welcome to TUG!!!! You made a good choice....

We'll see what others have to say here. As another data point, if you are able to "sign up" with Marriott for them to sell your unit, they take a 40% cut!! That's really not "small change", IMO.

m61376

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Aruba Surf Club 2 & 3BRs
I realize that they would probably charge more for the property and I would be willing to pay a little more if it made sense. Thinking maybe their resale department can broker the transaction. If it only increased the priced by 10 - 15% I would do it with the peace of mind that they will be handling the entire deal. This is my first timeshare purchase and want to be sure that someone is handling the ins and outs of the deal.

Welcome to Tug :hi:

I would be very surprised if they did this for merely a 10 or 15% surcharge. As far as I have ever heard, if you buy from Marriott you buy at their developer pricing and if it is a resale unit they keep 40% off the top as their commission, so the seller gets 60%.

If you really want the ability to trade for points, you'll likely have to pay the price, but you can always call a salesperson and ask. If you want a name/number to call, just ask here and I'm sure you'll get a few private messages with references.

If your main concern is more of a logistical one, read the sticky n how to buy and sell timeshares and then feel free to ask questions. If you do your due diligence and check out that the property is as advertised (you can start with a simple phone call with the unit/week information and ask Marriott Owner Services), get an Estoppel letter (so you know the MF's are up to date and that there are no outstanding loans) and use an Escrow agent (and people here can help with recommendations) the transaction should be relatively painless.

Since you are new to posting, if you haven't been around awhile reading posts it is a good idea to do so before making a purchase. If you are confident that you are on the right track and want feedback as to pricing, purchase advice, etc., feel free to ask.

TSResalez

Reaction score
If you use MVCI, the buyer has to pay full price for the unit and the only benefit is a 25% commission as opposed to 40%.

I read another post saying marriott is changing around they way they handle their resale industry.

Eric

Reaction score
Kinda like asking Macy's give you a refund for a Sears purchase. There in the same line of work, why not ? Hmmm.. me thinks it won't work