• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

used camera question

suzanne

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
We will be in Las Vegas for 2 weeks in September. I have a very nice Canon camera setup with all the lenses, filters etc. What I would like to do is check out some of the pawn shops in Vegas to see if I can find a reasonably priced back up Canon camera. Has anyone had any experience buying from a pawn shop or recommend a good one in Vegas? This is our first trip there and I have never been in a pawn shop before. DH thought this might be a good spot to check some out.

Suzanne

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
The only words I can think of when dealing with pawn shop, is "Caveat Emptor" Buyer Beware! You make a purchase as-is, no warrantee, nobody knows nothing. That's not to say there are no real bargains, but you have to know your product and the market. I think you'd be better off shopping camera shops that have a 'used' department, who check out their trade-ins and will stand behind your purchase, at least for a while.

Since there are the pawn shop shows on TV, Las Vegas might be the worst possible place to shop a pawn shop. Check out a few in your local area. I find that here, their prices are too high and the chances are that the items are not in great condition.

Jim

silentg

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
There are plenty of pawn shops in Florida.

tompalm

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yep, do it in Florida before the trip. But I would check Craigslist first. Before looking at anything, check prices on Amazon and eBay. Camera have gotten so cheap, I don't think you will save very much with buying a used one. Most people are using their cell phones these days and have left their camera in a drawer or a desk at home. So there is a good chance you can get a one or two year old camera that has been hardly used for cheap.

RonB

TUG Member
Reaction score
lots of choices

Here are some good places to shop for used gear that offer some limited guarantee:

B&H Photo

Adorama

KEH

This site has individuals selling their own gear, and each seller is rated. However, there is no guarantee unless you work something out in advance, (That's usually something like 5 days to make sure it works when received.):
BTW - this site may give you a good idea of current used prices.

Fred Miranda Buy and Sell

Ron

Last edited:

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
If your goal is to find a used camera to keep as a backup, then the sources recommended above will give you a lot to think about. (I've used B&H many times, and highly recommend them.) If the point is to use the experience to learn about pawn shops, then have fun exploring.

If it were me, given that cameras have become so inexpensive, I'd avoid used, and buy a new one that has the features you want in a backup camera, but provides it in a different footprint. By that I mean make the second camera a pocket-sized camera, or even a point-and-shoot that has features you'll like.

My spouse has a degree in commercial photography, and is an extraordinary photographer. Owns a ton of camera gear, the main part of which is a top of the line Nikon DSLR with numerous lenses, and many, many gadgets and such to go with it. Second to that one (and a recent purchase) is a high-end Sony point-and-shoot. And third in line is a Leica glass-lens pocket camera. Adding my own cameras to the mix is a long-lens Nikon point-and-shoot, and last of all is a lowly, but very convenient Nikon CoolPix pocket camera I've owned for about ten years. When we travel, a constant question is "Which camera(s) are you taking?" I carry both of mine, and let my spouse deal with the tonnage packed into those heavy camera bags. I figure if you want to use it, you have to schlep it. ;)

None of this answers your questions, but it may give you some food for thought. You may want to consider what you'll use a second camera for. At our house the other cameras are used when the big set up is too much to carry around, or when a smaller camera is a better fit for the occasion. And we won't talk about the cell phone cameras, which take better snapshots than anything else in the house. ;)

Have fun shopping!

Dave

Brett

Reaction score
We will be in Las Vegas for 2 weeks in September. I have a very nice Canon camera setup with all the lenses, filters etc. What I would like to do is check out some of the pawn shops in Vegas to see if I can find a reasonably priced back up Canon camera. Has anyone had any experience buying from a pawn shop or recommend a good one in Vegas? This is our first trip there and I have never been in a pawn shop before. DH thought this might be a good spot to check some out.

Suzanne

I wouldn't buy camera gear from a pawn shop!
I also have Canon gear but use POTN and FM buy/sell listings for used camera and lens purchases.

Maybe it's too late for this trip but look at the mirrorless camera options for traveling light. They take all your Canon lens (as well as other manufacturers) and are smaller and lighter than a DSLR. I use a mirrorless model for traveling and local events that only cost $250 including the 'pancake' lens.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/mmirrorless/

Last edited:

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
Brett, thanks for the information on the mirror less cameras for traveling light. Look like time to purchase a new camera.

suzanne

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you all for your good advice. I will check into the places mentioned.

Suzanne